IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amber Guyger , Dallas incidents , murder cases , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents , Texas cases

Closed Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:16 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Man shot, killed by off-duty Dallas police officer who walked into wrong apartment p2

Trial date set for Amber Guyger in Botham Jean murder case

Originally Posted by Dallas News
Former Dallas police Officer Amber Guyger had a court date Monday but the only movement in the case happened outside the courtroom.

Her murder trial was set Monday for Aug. 12 -- less than a year since Guyger shot and killed Botham Jean in his own apartment. She was off-duty but still in uniform when she shot Jean once in the chest.

Guyger told law enforcement she confused Jean's apartment with her own and thought he was a burglar. She said his door was unlocked and ajar, though Jean's family has questioned that account.

Murder cases in Dallas County usually take more than a year to go to trial. It's also common for trials to be delayed.

Also on Monday, State District Judge Tammy Kemp signed a subpoena requested by prosecutors for records related to any cruises Guyger took on Royal Caribbean between Sept. 23 to March 4...
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...an-murder-case

Mod InfoThread continued from here.
You can quote or reply to any on-topic post from that thread here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by kmortis; 26th September 2019 at 06:14 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:32 AM   #2
Drewbot
Philosopher

To see if she was talking about the case on the cruise ship?

This seems unusual
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Drewbot
Philosopher

Or was she ordered not to leave the state?
But the murder happened in early 2019 right?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:47 AM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
But the murder happened in early 2019 right?
The murder either happened on Sept 6 2018 or we plotted it here for four months before it happened.

How stupid would you have to be to go on a cruise when you're on conditional release?

ETA: Can't find a source I completely trust but the order for Guyger not to travel may not have happened until November.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 22nd March 2019 at 08:54 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:50 AM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The conditions of her bail probably don't allow her to leave the country. Generally the passport is handed over.
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Whip
Graduate Poster

wonder if they are looking to see if she got on the wrong cruise ship.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
How stupid would you have to be to go on a cruise when you're on conditional release?
Oooh, I think I know this one. Stupid enough to mistake somebody else's apartment for yours and shoot the owner dead just for being there?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:55 AM   #8
Drewbot
Philosopher

So THATS why her hair is lighter, and she looks so tan and fit.
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:06 AM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

From November 30th, 2018...

Originally Posted by Dallas News
The case has been assigned to state District Judge Tammy Kemp. A former prosecutor who took the bench in 2015, Kemp ordered Guyger to surrender her passport Friday and not to travel outside the state without approval, according to court records. She's also forbidden to use alcohol or drugs.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...ng-botham-jean
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Drewbot
Philosopher

Ohh.
They are going to get her locked up until the trial aren't they?
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:14 AM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Ohh.
They are going to get her locked up until the trial aren't they?
She would have been able to travel on cruise ship prior to November 30th 2018 because she wasn't restricted to Texas and she still possessed her passport.

After November 30th 2018 she cannot leave Texas without permission, and she wouldn't have a passport for any international travel either.

Last edited by William Parcher; 22nd March 2019 at 09:16 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
She would have been able to travel on cruise ship prior to November 30th 2018 because she wasn't restricted to Texas and she still possessed her passport.

After November 30th 2018 she cannot leave Texas without permission, and she wouldn't have a passport for any international travel either.
She was initially charged with manslaughter and released on $300K bond. Wouldn't travel restrictions have been imposed then? That is very likely why the prosecutor wants her travel records as far back as Sept. 23. https://newsone.com/3848852/amber-gu...uise-subpoena/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:20 AM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She was initially charged with manslaughter and released on $300K bond. Wouldn't travel restrictions have been imposed then? That is very likely why the prosecutor wants her travel records as far back as Sept. 23. https://newsone.com/3848852/amber-gu...uise-subpoena/
I can't answer why it didn't happen previously.

It was on November 30th that she was forced to surrender her passport and forbidden from travelling out of state. This is in the link I provided.
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:51 AM   #14
Whip
Graduate Poster

I don't see how they could restrict her travel before any indictment which didn't happen until December 1
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
I don't see how they could restrict her travel before any indictment which didn't happen until December 1
She was arrested, charged and released on $300K bond in September. That would be plenty of reason to restrict her travel, and would usually be a condition of release.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:22 AM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She was arrested, charged and released on $300K bond in September. That would be plenty of reason to restrict her travel, and would usually be a condition of release.
Her arrest back then was for manslaughter, not murder. Maybe that makes a difference.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:05 PM   #17
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Her arrest back then was for manslaughter, not murder. Maybe that makes a difference.
Terms are set by the judge. I guess it's possible that the judge thought restrictions weren't necessary. But people are sitting in jail without bail for lesser charges than manslaughter.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:22 PM   #18
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Guyger was briefly jailed on September 9th and only released because she able to meet the bail. I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that if they could throw her in jail at that time then they could have also restricted her travel at that time. I can't find anything that says any judge actually did restrict her travel at that time though.

The timing on the records they are looking for is probably driven by the day she was fired. They can probably account for her time up to that point.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:35 PM   #19
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Terms are set by the judge. I guess it's possible that the judge thought restrictions weren't necessary. But people are sitting in jail without bail for lesser charges than manslaughter.

How many of them are cops?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 07:22 AM   #20
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Trip to St Lucia?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 05:34 AM   #21
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think this writer must be ghosting our thread.
His article came out days after our in depth questioning of this.

https://newsone.com/3848852/amber-gu...uise-subpoena/

Quote:
Did Amber Guyger Go On A Caribbean Cruise After Killing Botham Jean?
Quote:
The subpoena could be damning for Guuyger on multiple levels. Not only could it allow prosecutors to portray Guyger as a carefree vacationer following what appeared to be a cold-blooded murder of an innocent man. It could also show Guyger violated the terms of her conditional release from jail.

“Beginning in November 2018, the judge stated Guyger was to surrender her passport to her attorney and was not to travel outside Texas without the court’s approval,” NBC reminded.
Old 1st April 2019, 05:41 AM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well she would need a vacation after experiencing the trauma of staying awake for 16 grueling hours. You need some self care after a horrific experience like that.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:38 PM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well she would need a vacation after experiencing the trauma of staying awake for 16 grueling hours. You need some self care after a horrific experience like that.
Or she may have just accidentally booked the cruise and went on the cruise because the entrance to the booking office looked like the entrance to her local Target store. Who hasn't done that?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 12:48 PM   #24
Whip
Graduate Poster

I'll guess, since we haven't heard, she didn't shot someone that she thought was in her room after mistaking another guests room as hers because, you know, tired from all the fun in the sun for 16 hours. Or, maybe she did and that's why the cruise records are wanted.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:02 AM   #25
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Why would it take more than a few hours to figure out if she took a cruise when she was not allowed to?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:41 AM   #26
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Why would it take more than a few hours to figure out if she took a cruise when she was not allowed to?
Figuring out that something happened is separate from gathering evidence to prove something happened?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:43 AM   #27
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
What makes you think it is?
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:15 AM   #28
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Or she may have just accidentally booked the cruise and went on the cruise because the entrance to the booking office looked like the entrance to her local Target store. Who hasn't done that?

You know what's probably more likely? She'd booked the cruise prior to the shooting (if they're looking back as far as Sept 23, that's quite likely). Then she looked at the already-paid-for cruise, and thought, "Well, I ****** up shooting that guy, I know it, and so I'm likely going to end up in prison sometime in the next year or so. So, **** it, let's take the cruise. What, are they going to throw me in prison even harder?" After all, there's no vacations from prison, so you might as well go while you've got the chance.

Sure, maybe they should have put travel restrictions on her much earlier than they did, but if they didn't, well, **** it. I'd have probably done the same in her place.
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:12 AM   #29
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You know what's probably more likely? She'd booked the cruise prior to the shooting (if they're looking back as far as Sept 23, that's quite likely). Then she looked at the already-paid-for cruise, and thought, "Well, I ****** up shooting that guy, I know it, and so I'm likely going to end up in prison sometime in the next year or so. So, **** it, let's take the cruise. What, are they going to throw me in prison even harder?" After all, there's no vacations from prison, so you might as well go while you've got the chance.

Sure, maybe they should have put travel restrictions on her much earlier than they did, but if they didn't, well, **** it. I'd have probably done the same in her place.
Of course this is speculation, but let's say the cruise was already booked.

Taking it certainly could persuade a juror or two who would otherwise have been be leaning toward clearing her to instead convict her, interpreting the cruise as evidence of her state of mind being callous and unconcerned as to the killing of an innocent man.

And even if one assumes that she would have been convicted anyway, her going on a cruise could certainly impact her sentence.

So as I see it, yes, they certainly could throw her in jail harder; a lot harder!

So I would not recommend it.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:19 AM   #30
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Of course this is speculation, but let's say the cruise was already booked.

Taking it certainly could persuade a juror or two who would otherwise have been be leaning toward clearing her to instead convict her, interpreting the cruise as evidence of her state of mind being callous and unconcerned as to the killing of an innocent man.

And even if one assumes that she would have been convicted anyway, her going on a cruise could certainly impact her sentence.

So as I see it, yes, they certainly could throw her in jail harder; a lot harder!

So I would not recommend it.

Well, it's all speculation to us, but it's not speculation to her. We don't know what actually went down that night, but she does. This might be a sign that she knows she's guilty, and that even a brain-dead juror will see that once all the evidence is presented. So, since she's in the know, why not live a little before the hammer comes down?
Old 9th April 2019, 07:18 AM   #31
Drewbot
Philosopher

What is possible, is that she booked the cruise previous to the shooting.
And didn't go. But looking through the finances, they saw the charge, so they are seeing if she actually went. Unless you buy cancellation insurance, I don't think all cruises are refundable.

Also- Trial date got moved to september 23rd.
Old 9th April 2019, 08:01 AM   #32
Drewbot
Philosopher

CBS Story about the Trial being delayed.

Also a funny note, it says 'Gunshot Wounds' to the chest and abdomen.

We were pretty clear only one bullet hit Jean.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/03/...r-botham-jean/
Old 26th April 2019, 11:32 AM   #33
Drewbot
Philosopher

Now a bunch of criminals are getting charges dropped because Amber Guyger has been charged.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ks-murder-case
Old 26th April 2019, 01:21 PM   #34
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Now a bunch of criminals are getting charges dropped because Amber Guyger has been charged.

Is that a surprise? Could anyone rely on the testimony of an accused murderer? (And I dunno if nine drug possession cases is quite "a bunch of criminals.")
Old 26th April 2019, 02:15 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Paywall. What are the facts?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 03:10 PM   #36
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Is that a surprise? Could anyone rely on the testimony of an accused murderer?
It isn't just that . . . how willing would she be to testify for the prosecution at this point?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 03:34 PM   #37
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Paywall. What are the facts?

Quote:
In the months since Amber Guyger fatally shot Botham Jean in his home, prosecutors have dismissed at least nine cases she investigated when she was still a Dallas police officer.
Four of the dismissed cases stemmed from the arrest of two men during a January 2018 traffic stop by Guyger and another officer. Three of those involved drug charges. The fourth, involving an allegation of unlawfully carrying a weapon, was also dismissed, and the gun was returned. But prosecutors' motion to dismiss that case was not found in the court file.

Try clearing your history and cookies.
Old 26th April 2019, 03:37 PM   #38
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I find this really strange. One for the fact that she is still innocent of any crime in the eyes of the criminal justice system and two what bearing does her charges have on the past arrests?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 03:41 PM   #39
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
It isn't just that . . . how willing would she be to testify for the prosecution at this point?
She would probably be willing to do anything to make the prosecutors happy, which itself would raise doubts about the veracity of her testimony.
Old 26th April 2019, 03:45 PM   #40
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I find this really strange. One for the fact that she is still innocent of any crime in the eyes of the criminal justice system and two what bearing does her charges have on the past arrests?
1/ Criminal prosecutions, especially in high-profile cases, take a long time in the U.S. Both sides get to conduct thorough investigations, question witnesses, hire experts, examine evidence etc. before trial. 2/ The past arrests require her testimony at trial. The fact that she's charged with murder certainly raises doubts about her judgment and integrity.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events