IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 03:26 PM   #2561
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That's an interesting issue. Seems to me the funds would need to be ring-fenced. There'll need to be a safeguard against misappropriation.
Great. What "ring-fences" has boris commited to? None.

In addition, if it now becomes a charitable donation rather than for a specific aim, then there is gift aid to be added on if you can, which'd mean getting a GA declaration from all those who donated. It'll need to give donors the option of a refund of their money.
Whee. And you fall for the distraction. Good luck. The team you elected could not figure their way out of a paper bag let alone negotiate a trade deal with a mollusc.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:33 PM   #2562
catsmate
No longer the 1

It now knows what a narwhal tusk is.
Pity there are no narwhals in UK waters.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:36 PM   #2563
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Give it time.
Old 27th January 2020, 03:40 PM   #2564
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Now we are out of the EU we can get rid of those pesky EU regulations banning narwhals from UK waters.
Old 27th January 2020, 05:23 PM   #2565
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Reminds me of the Deepwater Horizon environmental response plan that discussed the impact on wildlife.

Someone noticed a lot of mentions of animals more familiar to an arctic climate. Sure enough large portions had been lifted right out of a report on a previous oil spill. The report as a whole was largely boilerplate pablum.

Nobody actually had to sit around, discuss, brainstorm, or research facts to generate that report. It wasn't just not intended to be taken seriously as an informative outlay, it flat out wasn't meant to be read, let alone ingested or processed by critical minds and people in positions of authority to make anything happen at all.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 02:32 AM   #2566
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Last autumn's government "Get Ready for Brexit" Campaign has come in for criticism:

Quote:
A multi-million pound publicity blitz to prepare the public for leaving the EU appears to have had little impact, a spending watchdog has said.

The National Audit Office said £46m was spent on the "Get ready for Brexit" campaign ahead of the UK's expected departure at the end of last October.
Of course it's really difficult to prepare for something when we have no idea what it's going to be like.

It sounds to me like the government is gearing up to blame individuals and companies for failing to prepare effectively for Brexit when they run into problems.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 03:45 AM   #2567
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Times thinks the European Court of Justice is in Strasbourg and puts this as a headline on its front page

"EU Demands it's Judges keep control after Brexit, Strasbourg would rule on future UK trade rights"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th January 2020 at 03:46 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 03:57 AM   #2568
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It sounds to me like the government is gearing up to blame individuals and companies for failing to prepare effectively for Brexit when they run into problems.
You missed out the EU itself and remain voters. And the 10 Downing Street cat, the local road cleaner, bus drivers and school dinner ladies.
Old 28th January 2020, 04:13 AM   #2569
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Does "it"?

What does "it" refer to? UKGov? Pretty clear it can't find bum with both hands. So what "it"?
The subject of the question:

"Does the UK even know what a fisheries department does?"

should adequately inform you as to what the 'it' in the answer refers to.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 04:16 AM   #2570
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Whee. And you fall for the distraction. Good luck. The team you elected could not figure their way out of a paper bag let alone negotiate a trade deal with a mollusc.
Not me, guv.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 04:23 AM   #2571
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The Times thinks the European Court of Justice is in Strasbourg and puts this as a headline on its front page

"EU Demands it's Judges keep control after Brexit, Strasbourg would rule on future UK trade rights"
Haha It has confused the ECJ with the ECHR (human rights).

Oh well, nice to know even the TIMES can get it wrong (remembering the grief I got from this forum for mistakingly thinking Strasbourg was in Switzerland).

ECJ is in Luxemburg.

Old 28th January 2020, 04:25 AM   #2572
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
You missed out the EU itself and remain voters. And the 10 Downing Street cat, the local road cleaner, bus drivers and school dinner ladies.
It's certainly taking the 'peace' with its offer of prosperity and friendship with all nations. Except the frogs and the krauts, of course.

Old 28th January 2020, 04:32 AM   #2573
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

For all it's exalted reputation as a newspaper, when push comes to shove it's still a Murdoch rag. IMO one should lower one's expectations regarding factual accuracy accordingly.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 04:42 AM   #2574
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Not me, guv.
To be fair to Vixen, it was me who was wondering whether a fund set up to restore the bongs to Big Ben for Brexit could seamlessly be diverted to fund Help for Heroes instead (though IMO that would be a better use for the money).

I haven't been sufficiently bothered to find out how the money was being raised. If, for example, I set up a GoFundMe ostensibly to pay for medical treatment and instead decide to spend it all on hookers and blow, do those who have donated have any come back ?

In the case of the bong campaign, the organisers have said that they were always clear that any excess money, or all money if the campaign was unsuccessful, would be donated to HfH. IMO it's a better result than wasting the money on useless bongs.
Old 28th January 2020, 05:31 AM   #2575
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Last autumn's government "Get Ready for Brexit" Campaign has come in for criticism:

Of course it's really difficult to prepare for something when we have no idea what it's going to be like.

Quite seriously, which campaign?
Old 28th January 2020, 05:50 AM   #2576
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I genuinely am feeling very sad this week, I feel I am losing a hell of a lot with nothing in compensation. From Saturday I'll simply have less opportunities and less rights. Bummer.
Old 28th January 2020, 06:30 AM   #2577
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I haven't been sufficiently bothered to find out how the money was being raised. If, for example, I set up a GoFundMe ostensibly to pay for medical treatment and instead decide to spend it all on hookers and blow, do those who have donated have any come back ?
I'm now imagining a parallel, far superior, universe in which FoolMeWunz came out of his coma and did just that.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I genuinely am feeling very sad this week, I feel I am losing a hell of a lot with nothing in compensation. From Saturday I'll simply have less opportunities and less rights. Bummer.
We're all poorer, not just financially, as a result of this insane act of self harm. I've bought an EU flag, which I plan to put in my window on Friday.
Old 28th January 2020, 06:46 AM   #2578
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I've bought an EU flag, which I plan to put in my window on Friday.
I will do absolutely nothing to mark the date of the UK leaving the EU. Life will, most likely, just get a tiny bit ********, but I'll just carry on living the best life I can in the circumstances I'm faced with, and let that be my response.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:52 AM   #2579
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

There's a campaign to get Ode to Joy in the charts for Brexit. I didn't bother buying it.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:11 AM   #2580
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'll have fewer opportunities and fewer rights but the sentiment's the same.

Of course we'll be in a transition period for most, if not all, of 2020 so we shouldn't expect to see any changes, except perhaps not being able to go through the "EU Passports" line on our European trips.

This will allow Brexiteers to assert that any concerns about negative consequences are just Project Fear TM, as they have for the past three years or so. The real problems will start to surface in 2021 at which point they are far enough away from the referendum to be disconnected in peoples minds.

Even then I think it'll be a case of things gradually getting worse rather than OMFG DISASTER !!1!!!!11!!!!!

In 15/20 years instead of being economically on a par with Germany, The Netherlands and Scandinavia, we'll be on a par with Spain, Portugal and the more successful former Eastern-bloc countries. There won't be a sudden economic collapse, just an ongoing 1% or so brake on growth.
Old 28th January 2020, 08:10 AM   #2581
Belgian thought
Master Poster

I lived most of my childhood, including schooling and university, and worked over 25 years in the UK. I am now in Spain and at my age, cannot realistically go back to live or retire in the UK. I feel very cut off.

My biggest worry for Friday is the timing. 11 PM, pub closing time (or near enough), on the first monthly payday after Christmas.

There were reports of increased racial tension and attacks after the referendum results. As of the 31st it becomes a fact and I fear for some very nasty behaviour.
Old 28th January 2020, 08:29 AM   #2582
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Give it time.
Now we are out of the EU we can get rid of those pesky EU regulations banning narwhals from UK waters.
Yes, BoJo's take on climate change will certainly help; once the Gulf Stream decreases significantly UK waters will be far more suited to narwhals.
There may be other consequences however.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 09:00 AM   #2583
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
I lived most of my childhood, including schooling and university, and worked over 25 years in the UK. I am now in Spain and at my age, cannot realistically go back to live or retire in the UK. I feel very cut off.
I can only wish you the best of luck. What a mess.

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
My biggest worry for Friday is the timing. 11 PM, pub closing time (or near enough), on the first monthly payday after Christmas.

There were reports of increased racial tension and attacks after the referendum results. As of the 31st it becomes a fact and I fear for some very nasty behaviour.
Good point. Might be a night for a lot of people to stay at home. Possibly several nights

In other news, I see that post-Brexit talks are due to start on March 3rd, so there's 1/11th of the time available straight down the toilet.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:09 AM   #2584
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In other news, I see that post-Brexit talks are due to start on March 3rd, so there's 1/11th of the time available straight down the toilet.
Only if the intent is to have a negotiated trade deal.

IMO the intent is to half-heartedly try to engage the EU but only on an "all the benefits of and none of the responsibilities of EU membership" basis. If the EU were to suddenly cave and accept all of the UK's demands then so much the better. If, as is far more likely, the talks fail then the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal, as the architects of Brexit want.

Losing 1/11 of the available negotiation time is ideal if the objective is no-deal.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:35 AM   #2585
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Only if the intent is to have a negotiated trade deal.

IMO the intent is to half-heartedly try to engage the EU but only on an "all the benefits of and none of the responsibilities of EU membership" basis. If the EU were to suddenly cave and accept all of the UK's demands then so much the better. If, as is far more likely, the talks fail then the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal, as the architects of Brexit want.

Losing 1/11 of the available negotiation time is ideal if the objective is no-deal.
If the people wanted a deal, Boris Johnson wouldn't be prime minister. They have elections and everything and chose Johnson and no deal.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:13 AM   #2586
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Yeah I agree. Some of my best customers are European citizens, one of them (who's Polish) interviewed for an Italian company today, Brexit has cost my wife's job and a large part of my income from my second job, I'm worried now that I'm going to lose these customers from my own little business and I honestly can't see we're getting anything worthwhile in return...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 11:18 AM   #2587
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Yeah I agree. Some of my best customers are European citizens, one of them (who's Polish) interviewed for an Italian company today, Brexit has cost my wife's job and a large part of my income from my second job, I'm worried now that I'm going to lose these customers from my own little business and I honestly can't see we're getting anything worthwhile in return...
You are getting "sovereignty". And you can chuck that pole out of the country. Isn't that nice?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 11:20 AM   #2588
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quote:
A multi-million pound publicity blitz to prepare the public for leaving the EU appears to have had little impact, a spending watchdog has said.

The National Audit Office said £46m was spent on the "Get ready for Brexit" campaign ahead of the UK's expected departure at the end of last October.

From Scrutable.science (former badscience)
https://scrutable.science/viewtopic.php?p=16830#p16830
Originally Posted by Little waster
£46m "Get Ready for Brexit" campaign had "little effect" says NAO.

Quote:
“Not undertaking the campaign would have risked significant and unnecessary disruption to businesses and to people’s lives,” a spokesperson for the cabinet office said.
I leave the punchline as an exercise for the reader ...
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 11:35 AM   #2589
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I'll be drinking some sovrin tea on Friday and thinking of you all in the UK. So glad I got away. Funny thing is, I rarely bothered with a full English breakfast before but now I eat it every day, ever since discovering 'Englanti/Engelsk' bacon in the supermarkets with a union jack background on the packet.

Old 28th January 2020, 11:41 AM   #2590
ceptimus
puzzler

It's the EU that are delaying the trade talks. The UK wants to begin them immediately - in fact the UK has wanted to begin them for the last three years or so, but the EU's self-imposed rules prevented that.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4339386.html
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 11:59 AM   #2591
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
It's the EU that are delaying the trade talks. The UK wants to begin them immediately - in fact the UK has wanted to begin them for the last three years or so, but the EU's self-imposed rules prevented that.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4339386.html
Who insisted that there would be no further extension, whilst giving far less time than it took Canada, say, to negotiate a simpler trade deal with the EU?

Anyway - I thought the UK England held all the cards, so can't Johnson simply demonstrate his undoubted superiority and insist on his preferred terms?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 02:13 PM   #2592
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Blue Passports made in France!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 05:39 PM   #2593
SezMe
post-pre-born

A thought just occurred to me: Chunnel. How will Brexit affect its operation, if at all?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 05:54 PM   #2594
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So you've brexited now? I didn't see the fireworks and parties. Did they do it quietly in the night?

And the big question is, why couldn't this have been done sooner?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:01 PM   #2595
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Yes, but they’ll most likely be caught by the migrant salary threshold. How many narwhals are going to be earning over £30,000 a year?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:03 PM   #2596
Mojo
Mostly harmless

This would be the government that ran a “get ready for Brexit” campaign while claiming that everything would be absolutely fine after Brexit...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:48 AM   #2597
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
A thought just occurred to me: Chunnel. How will Brexit affect its operation, if at all?
Customs checks will be needed. Otherwise probably not much from a passenger point of view. Demand is likely to be lower as EU UK trade is likely to be lower.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 01:09 AM   #2598
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

MEP Seb Dance is collecting signatures for an open letter to the EU.

https://actionnetwork.org/forms/sign...e=direct_link&

Quote:
To Ursula Von Der Leyen (President of the European Commission), Charles Michel (President of the European Council), Guy Verhofstadt MEP (European Parliament's Brexit Coordinator), David Sassoli MEP (President of the European Parliament) and all our other friends across the EU,

I am writing to you on behalf of all those people in the UK for whom 31 January will be a day, not of celebration, but of anger and grief.

Hardline Brexiteers like Mark Francois and Nigel Farage have received a lot of coverage for their plans to celebrate the day we leave the EU - the most ludicrous suggestion being that Big Ben should ring to mark the occasion. Millions of us in the UK will not be celebrating Brexit, but will be thinking of everything we have lost by leaving, and counting down the days until we rejoin the EU.

Britain is taking a sabbatical. We now have the largest and most active pro-European movement on the continent, and that will not disappear on 31 January. There are still millions of us who know that the great challenges of our time can only be faced by working in partnership with our closest friends and neighbours. Please keep the door open for us to return.
Old 29th January 2020, 01:10 AM   #2599
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
This would be the government that ran a “get ready for Brexit” campaign while claiming that everything would be absolutely fine after Brexit...
Of course everything will be fine so long as people and companies are positioned to take advantage of the fabulous opportunities that Brexit presents.

Only those companies and individuals who failed to prepare properly for Brexit will have suffered. Those who have taken the necessary precautions, a handful of hedge fund managers and messers Bamford and Dyson, will have turned out to to have done very nicely indeed.

It's hardly the government's fault that not everyone in the UK is a multi-millionaire with a global company which stands to gain from the low-tax low regulation post-Brexit environment. The government can't be expected to mollycoddle every single person who isn't a billionaire (or who doesn't benefit from a billionaire's largesse like our current Prime Minister has for the last three decades). Honesty, if people cannot be bothered to take charge of their own financial affairs, it's their look-out.

Just get into the chlorinated chicken processing or hazardous waste disposal industries and you'll be coining it in.

Last edited by The Don; 29th January 2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 29th January 2020, 01:33 AM   #2600
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The government was also running the “Get ready for Brexit” campaign while also having a policy of “just getting Brexit done” and sorting out the details afterwards. If they weren’t taking any notice of their own publicity, why would they expect anyone else to?

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics