IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-gay incidents , Brian Fischer , mitt romney , Richard Grenell

Old 2nd May 2012, 04:07 PM   #41
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
No way. You cannot imagine how much they hate Obama. It's beyond passionate; it's unreasonable...
Unreasonable's the right word, considering Mr. Obama is about as moderate as they come.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that's a given, from where does the unimaginable hatred originate?
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:23 PM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Unreasonable's the right word, considering Mr. Obama is about as moderate as they come.
No, 10 years ago maybe, but now he is liberal. I wonder if Regan could get nominated as a republican now or if he would be too liberal, I think the too liberal part.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:56 PM   #43
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

And yet Mr. Romney is also a moderate. Who is about to be nominated.
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:01 PM   #44
shecky
Master Poster

There is the argument floated around the reason for Grenell's ouster was that he was a nasty personality with an internet trail of blog posts and tweets so egregious that he had to try erasing them after being chosen by Romney, amid the newly found attention. This argument is supposed to demonstrate that the Romney campaign doesn't really have a problem with gays. While this spin is plausible, as Grenell did seem to have a reputation as a jerk and misogynist, it still doesn't let Romney off the hook. Rather, it shows an incompetent decision to choose staff without proper vetting. Even so, I find it hard to believe his offensiveness would have bothered the base more than his homosexuality, and Romney is at a point where he cannot afford to lose his base. The bigoted faction made a show of how much Romney had to obey when they yanked the chain on his neck. If they ever doubted their power over the candidate, they doubt no longer. And neither does Romney.
"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn’t have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless." - Investors Business Daily

Last edited by shecky; 2nd May 2012 at 09:13 PM.
shecky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:43 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And yet Mr. Romney is also a moderate. Who is about to be nominated.
How can we know? All his most recent statements show an evolution into a hard right conservative? Or is hard but not extreme right the new moderate?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:31 AM   #46
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How can we know? All his most recent statements show an evolution into a hard right conservative? Or is hard but not extreme right the new moderate?
And as the past year or so demonstrated, the only reason that Romney is being nominated at all is that all the other Anti-Romney-of-the-hour candidates managed to be too bat-boop nuts even for the current Republican party.
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:39 AM   #47
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Romney will say anything, pander to anybody in order to be elected. Any means justifies his ends.

So don't pay any attention to his recent statement because they mean absolutely nuthin'.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:40 AM   #48
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Romney will say anything, pander to anybody in order to be elected. Any means justifies his ends.

So don't pay any attention to his recent statement because they mean absolutely nuthin'.
And why are his old statements any different? I honestly have no clue what he really believes.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:53 AM   #49
Accidental Martyr
Master Poster

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that's a given, from where does the unimaginable hatred originate?
He's not white.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:56 AM   #50
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
He's not white.
I think you have the majority of it there.
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:53 PM   #51
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
He's not white.
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I think you have the majority of it there.
I'm starting a thread to discuss this more at length.
Old 6th May 2012, 04:37 PM   #52
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
I "like" this quote:

Because we all know gay people can't be trusted.
Right, remember the Cambridge spy ring?
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 04:45 PM   #53
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
And the far right continues to demonstrate why history will look on them as reprehensible monsters not worthy of the oxygen they wasted in the slime filled cavern a brain usually resided in.
Please name some far right Republicans who you consider to be monsters.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 09:22 AM   #54
Bill Thompson
Banned

I think I could physically handle Obama being reelected. I do not think I could physically tolerate Romney becoming president of a country where I lived.
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics