IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin , cryptocurrency

Old 9th August 2021, 09:21 AM   #1521
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting summary of things and a great suggestion in The New York Times:

Going for Broke in Cryptoland Some hype coins mint instant millionaires. Others go bust. Why not take a chance?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/05/b...ocurrency.html

Create your own crytocurrency!
Old 9th August 2021, 01:04 PM   #1522
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
An interesting summary of things and a great suggestion in The New York Times:

Going for Broke in Cryptoland Some hype coins mint instant millionaires. Others go bust. Why not take a chance?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/05/b...ocurrency.html

Create your own crytocurrency!
Paywalled. But if you follow CoffeeZilla on the YouTube, he covered a few, dirty dealers. Namely one called "Save the Kids" which, name alone, screams SCAM, but members of Faze Clan (game streamers) pumped and dumped. Jake Paul is looking to fleece his followers with his own coin "Dink Doink" Because he is that classy.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 01:11 PM   #1523
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Paywalled. But if you follow CoffeeZilla on the YouTube, he covered a few, dirty dealers. Namely one called "Save the Kids" which, name alone, screams SCAM, but members of Faze Clan (game streamers) pumped and dumped. Jake Paul is looking to fleece his followers with his own coin "Dink Doink" Because he is that classy.
Dude .. these are famous examples. So by definition it are not true shitcoins. Nobody knows about those.
Btw. we had, in our not very big 100k city, several bitcoin scams, all using the same BTC vending machine. There is one in shopping mall.
Someone called people, and asked them to go there store money on provided BTC wallet. And people did it ! There is now police warning at the machine: if you are on a phone call now, you are being scammed !
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 07:26 PM   #1524
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Today, the value of my portfolio is above what I paid for it.
Old 30th August 2021, 05:30 AM   #1525
Samson
Philosopher

Just checking in.
Technical developments indicate liquidating cryptos.
Bitcoin 47618
Could be big drop.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 08:15 AM   #1526
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Just checking in.
Bitcoin 47618
Could be big drop.
Considering how the price has been going since you last made a price prediction I was going to suggest that you make a bullish prediction this time. Otherwise the price is likely to set a new record high.
Old 30th August 2021, 09:49 AM   #1527
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Considering how the price has been going since you last made a price prediction I was going to suggest that you make a bullish prediction this time. Otherwise the price is likely to set a new record high.
Nothing's wrong with ATH
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 08:21 PM   #1528
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

My portfolio has been pretty steady at +3% over my initial investment for several weeks now.
Old 30th August 2021, 11:09 PM   #1529
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
My portfolio has been pretty steady at +3% over my initial investment for several weeks now.
Only 3%? Wow your fund must have some heavy administration fees! Over the past several weeks the price of bitcoin has risen by up to 50%.
Old 30th August 2021, 11:42 PM   #1530
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Only 3%? Wow your fund must have some heavy administration fees! Over the past several weeks the price of bitcoin has risen by up to 50%.
I converted most of my portfolio to Etherium. But no, it hasn't. It gained a lot at the beginning of August, but since then has fluctuated about a steady point of about US$70k.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:57 PM   #1531
Samson
Philosopher

I converted most of my portfolio to Etherium. But no, it hasn't. It gained a lot at the beginning of August, but since then has fluctuated about a steady point of about US$70k.
I see eth to the moon right now. 3527
Well done!
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:01 AM   #1532
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I see eth to the moon right now. 3527
Well done!
Yep. I'm now at +10% over my initial investment. If I get to +100% I'll sell half.
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:45 PM   #1533
plague311
Great minds think...

I minted NFT's on the Ethereum block chain (I hope this is considered on-topic). I paid USD$700 to mint 5 chickens, and sold them for over USD$5,000.

I love that return on investment for sure, and given that Ethereum is going up it makes it all even better!

If you haven't dug into NFT's, they're the wave of the future. Lots of money to be made, and lost, there.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:31 PM   #1534
trustbutverify
Philosopher

My condolences.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 05:10 AM   #1535
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Just checking in.
Bitcoin 47618
Could be big drop.
Or not. Could be anything, I guess.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 06:15 AM   #1536
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Or not. Could be anything, I guess.
But imagine not reversing right now.
Imagine bitcoin zero!

Michael Saylor is ok at average 26000.
Old 7th September 2021, 04:52 AM   #1537
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I predict it will either go up, then down again, or down and then go again.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 11:25 PM   #1538
Samson
Philosopher

The president of El Salvadore bought bitcoin for his people at 52 thousand.
It was bound to go up.
Old 8th September 2021, 10:05 PM   #1539
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The president of El Salvadore bought bitcoin for his people at 52 thousand.
It was bound to go up.
And guess who predicted the opposite?
Old 9th September 2021, 01:39 AM   #1540
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

And guess who predicted the opposite?
And guess what it did right after saying that ..
Old 9th September 2021, 11:53 AM   #1541
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Its almost as if using an extremely volatile, unbacked investment as currency is a truly stupid idea.

Sure, you can get rich of Bitcoin if you are lucky, but any coin that can change its value by that much in a single day is pointless as actual currency.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 04:31 PM   #1542
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
And guess what it did right after saying that ..
Was irony, market had crashed when I posted.
Old 10th September 2021, 10:22 PM   #1543
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Sure, you can get rich of Bitcoin if you are lucky, but any coin that can change its value by that much in a single day is pointless as actual currency.
Historically, every single person who held on to their bitcoins has eventually been "lucky".
Old 11th September 2021, 01:46 AM   #1544
Samson
Philosopher

Historically, every single person who held on to their bitcoins has eventually been "lucky".
That does not apply to current history.
There is no reason to suppose the president of El Salvadore will be a folk hero in his own time.
Old 11th September 2021, 02:06 AM   #1545
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That does not apply to current history.
Of course you would predict that for the first time ever, the price of bitcoin will never equal its previous high.

That guarantees that the hodlers' luck will continue.

Last edited by psionl0; 11th September 2021 at 02:07 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 03:02 AM   #1546
Samson
Philosopher

Of course you would predict that for the first time ever, the price of bitcoin will never equal its previous high.

I think that is more irony but I need to do some figures of speech refresher course.
Old 11th September 2021, 03:33 PM   #1547
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Except all those that lost money to them.

But even then. As a currency it is currently pointless
Let's say you are a company and agree to pay your employees X bitcoins / month.

And JUST as you are about to pay out Elon Musk tweets and the price changes by 40% within an hour.
Now either you just lost all your profit, or your employees lost 40% of their wages, through no action of your own. Not something that either party should want.
As a gambling investment sure. But not currency.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 04:47 PM   #1548
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You mean those who panicked and locked in a loss? Sure but your claim was that only the "lucky" can make a profit on bitcoin. That's not true. All you have to do is keep "hodling" them and the price will eventually be higher than what you paid for them. Works every time.

And JUST as you are about to pay out Elon Musk tweets and the price changes by 40% within an hour.
Now either you just lost all your profit, or your employees lost 40% of their wages, through no action of your own. Not something that either party should want.
The price is driven by speculators and is thus volatile (though 40% every hour is an exaggeration).

But even if speculators didn't constantly push the price around, it would not be useful as a currency because its fixed supply makes it deflationary and transaction fees discourage spending.

You are not saying anything new (just saying it emotionally). Bitcoin is primarily designed to be "hodled" and secondarily to transfer large sums of wealth rapidly around without interference by anybody else.
Old 11th September 2021, 04:51 PM   #1549
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Come on. Even Elon didn't do 40% in an hour. He did 15%. Which is quite normal. What was unprecedented was it happened inside 20 minutes. That was the 29.1.2021 tweet. But all his subsequent tweets gained less and slower reactions.
Old 20th September 2021, 04:10 PM   #1550
Samson
Philosopher

Probably, but not necessarily.
The current technical picture is a very complete distribution top. And why should the market cap of all cryptos be any particular figure, currently 2 trillion. If cryptos are to be a means of third world participation in a banking protocol does any particular crypto need to appreciate in value? I think 15k bitcoin by christmas is a real possibility.

Cries of bitcoin going to "x", where "x" is a behemoth of a number remind me of Lewis Carroll:

"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true."

Last edited by Samson; 20th September 2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:09 PM   #1551
a_unique_person

China rules all bitcoin transactions illegal. Could get some cheap mining kit on ebay now.

Etherium kits going cheap.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 3rd October 2021 at 10:25 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:27 PM   #1552
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
China rules all bitcoin transactions illegal. Could get some cheap mining kit on ebay now.

It seems China is a lot less powerful than Elon Musk...
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 06:52 PM   #1553
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

Does that mean video cards will be selling for sensible prices?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 06:57 PM   #1554
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Does that mean video cards will be selling for sensible prices?
Why would they ? Miners will just move elsewhere. And it's likely they will need new hardware. So it might get even worse ;-)
Old 6th October 2021, 07:09 PM   #1555
a_unique_person

Cheap energy it's a real problem. Iran has subsided power but they are cracking down in mining too. Externalities. What can you do with them.
Old 21st October 2021, 02:41 AM   #1556
Samson
Philosopher

Bitcoin is now bigger than any stock and not in the news cycle.
This is important I think.
Old 21st October 2021, 03:48 AM   #1557
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

New High

Bitcoin has just hit $66,000 US. This eclipses the previous high of $64,895 US on April 14 this year and marks a recovery from $28,600 on June 22 this year - the fastest recovery from a major crash ever.

All the news about the Chinese crackdown had no effect on bitcoin's continued price rise. Of course, even the Chinese government can't compete against Samson's "bitcoin will collapse" predictions.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:53 AM   #1558
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Bitcoin is now bigger than any stock and not in the news cycle.
This is important I think.
Wait till it hits 15k by Christmas due to it's very complete distribution top. That should make some news.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance