IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptocurrency

Old 18th May 2021, 01:28 PM   #281
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I finally put my life saving into Bitcoin last Tuesday. I haven't checked lately, but I bet I've made some real dough since then. I may retire soon.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2021, 10:11 PM   #282
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I finally put my life saving into Bitcoin last Tuesday. I haven't checked lately, but I bet I've made some real dough since then. I may retire soon.
You know there aren't many times in life when you get the opportunity to go back and correct a past mistake. I'm certainly thankful for this opportunity.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 01:59 AM   #283
Samson
Philosopher

Buy on the back foot!
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 11:49 AM   #284
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Buy on the back foot!
With what? I'm all-in already . . . .

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 11:50 AM   #285
Belz...
Fiend God

With what? I'm all-in already . . . .
Well, about that second mortgage...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 12:01 PM   #286
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, about that second mortgage...
What about "all-in" did you not understand?

Old 19th May 2021, 12:14 PM   #287
Lothian
should be banned

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that losing your Bitcoin password is not going to be as big a disaster as it often is.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 12:20 PM   #288
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Are you even trying if you haven't leveraged at least 10x?

All gas no breaks. To the moon or liquidation.
Old 19th May 2021, 12:52 PM   #289
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh you already sold it, then?

Time to "mortgage" your remaining "assets", then.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 01:07 PM   #290
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Oh you already sold it, then?

Time to "mortgage" your remaining "assets", then.
My wife has told me I can't go back to that life. Sorry.

Old 21st May 2021, 03:27 PM   #291
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Quote:
US Treasury May Require Reporting Of Crypto Transfers Over $10K To The IRS

As central banks explore digital currencies, governments are rallying
for increased oversight of mercurial crypto assets. A major part of the
regulatory quagmire over digital money concerns taxes. This year, the
IRS has been strengthening its ability to track tax payers who own
cryptocurrencies by probing digital currency exchanges and threatening
to seize the assets of tax evaders. In the latest sign of a looming regulatory
crack down on crypto, the Treasury Department has said it will require any
transfer worth $10,000 or more to be reported to the IRS.

Okay. Maybe this is becoming a thing.

Last edited by Solitaire; 21st May 2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: More info.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2021, 05:16 PM   #292
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Quote:
US Treasury May Require Reporting Of Crypto Transfers Over $10K To The IRS
A little misleading.

Crypto exchanges can certainly be forced to report crypto purchases of over $10K but wallet to wallet transfers are by definition unreportable (unless the authorities know who owns a wallet).
Old 21st May 2021, 05:47 PM   #293
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
A little misleading.

Crypto exchanges can certainly be forced to report crypto purchases of over $10K but wallet to wallet transfers are by definition unreportable (unless the authorities know who owns a wallet).
Sure, but speculative transactions are a big part of Bitcoin. That means people want the ability to cash out, and putting in reporting requirements helps ensure people gambling on bitcoin get taxed on significant winnings.
Old 22nd May 2021, 01:05 AM   #294
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Sure, but speculative transactions are a big part of Bitcoin. That means people want the ability to cash out, and putting in reporting requirements helps ensure people gambling on bitcoin get taxed on significant winnings.
Speculating with cryptos via exchanges leaves a trail that the tax man can follow if you are being audited. However, it is the USD and not the crypto that is leaving the trail. That is why the headline is misleading.
Old 22nd May 2021, 06:58 AM   #295
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Speculating with cryptos via exchanges leaves a trail that the tax man can follow if you are being audited. However, it is the USD and not the crypto that is leaving the trail. That is why the headline is misleading.
I don't see how the headline is inaccurate. It may be difficult for wallet to wallet transactions to be traced, but that doesn't mean the IRS can't require that these transactions be reported.

Catching people that don't report their own transactions may be tricky, but that's another matter.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd May 2021 at 07:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:58 AM   #296
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It may be difficult for wallet to wallet transactions to be traced, but that doesn't mean the IRS can't require that these transactions be reported.
You can't see that these two statements are contradictory? Who is required to report wallet to wallet transactions?

It reminds me of the 1979 story of a council in WA that passed a law prohibiting Skylab from crashing in their district. (Skylab complied).
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:32 PM   #297
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

You can't see that these two statements are contradictory? Who is required to report wallet to wallet transactions?

It reminds me of the 1979 story of a council in WA that passed a law prohibiting Skylab from crashing in their district. (Skylab complied).
I suppose the people that own the wallets, assuming they are US citizens, would be obligated to report.
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:19 PM   #298
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I suppose the people that own the wallets, assuming they are US citizens, would be obligated to report.
The article didn't say that. It said that the IRS is "probing digital currency exchanges" which means that it is tracking the USD.
Old 24th May 2021, 02:19 PM   #299
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The article didn't say that. It said that the IRS is "probing digital currency exchanges" which means that it is tracking the USD.
In the US the IRS can require that a taxpayer report on transfers even if those transfers are not reported by the other party. Failing to report can be a crime.

So, if you and I exchange $12,000 worth of Bitcoin for $12,000 worth of Dogecoin I could be be required to report that transaction to the IRS. Even though it is secret and even though you are under no obligation to report it.

Im not at all sure how they would discover this transaction, but I imagine auditors are developing the tools to make that possible once they are deep in someones life.

This isnt the rule yet, but Id be surprised if it isnt the rule soon. Just like moving currency in and out of the country.

Old 24th May 2021, 03:23 PM   #300
Samson
Philosopher

Every key stroke is recorded.
It would need far less power tracking than mining cryptos I imagine.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 01:52 AM   #301
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

In the US the IRS can require that a taxpayer report on transfers even if those transfers are not reported by the other party. Failing to report can be a crime.

So, if you and I exchange $12,000 worth of Bitcoin for $12,000 worth of Dogecoin I could be be required to report that transaction to the IRS. Even though it is secret and even though you are under no obligation to report it.
Sure the IRS CAN do that.

Do you have any info that suggests that this is now law? That could have serious repercussions on other transactions if you were required to report private transactions over $10K to the IRS (eg buying a used car from a private party).

Last edited by psionl0; 25th May 2021 at 01:54 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 08:34 AM   #302
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Do you have any info that suggests that this is now law? That could have serious repercussions on other transactions if you were required to report private transactions over $10K to the IRS (eg buying a used car from a private party).
It currently is not the law. The article was stating that this is something they are considering and you seemed to be saying that it was not what the article was about. Sorry if I misread your posts.

If they make that a rule it will make it very hard for crypto to maintain its value because the main benefit besides by illicit goods seems to be avoiding taxation. And there is only so much coke a person can snort.

Old 25th May 2021, 08:54 AM   #303
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It currently is not the law. The article was stating that this is something they are considering and you seemed to be saying that it was not what the article was about.
That's because this is not what the article was about. It referred to the IRS targeting crypto exchanges and not private wallet to wallet transfers.
Old 25th May 2021, 09:40 AM   #304
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's because this is not what the article was about. It referred to the IRS targeting crypto exchanges and not private wallet to wallet transfers.
I think we are teading different articles. The one I read started with this para:

Quote:
As central banks explore digital currencies, governments are rallying for increased oversight of mercurial crypto assets. A major part of the regulatory quagmire over digital money concerns taxes. This year, the IRS has been strengthening its ability to track tax payers who own cryptocurrencies by probing digital currency exchanges and threatening to seize the assets of tax evaders. In the latest sign of a looming regulatory crack down on crypto, the Treasury Department has said it will require any transfer worth $10,000 or more to be reported to the IRS.
Doing thing A in preparation to do thing B. And you want to say the article is only about thing A, while thing B is the real punch in the gut? Okay, pretend thing B wont happen.

Old 25th May 2021, 06:19 PM   #305
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I think we are teading different articles. The one I read started with this para:

Doing thing A in preparation to do thing B. And you want to say the article is only about thing A, while thing B is the real punch in the gut? Okay, pretend thing B won’t happen.

You added words that weren't in the article:
Quote:
In the latest sign of a looming regulatory crack down on crypto, the Treasury Department has said it will require any individual transfer worth $10,000 or more to another individual to be reported to the IRS by the individual.

The full context of the article makes it clear who the article is targeting:
Quote:
As central banks explore digital currencies, governments are rallying for increased oversight of mercurial crypto assets. A major part of the regulatory quagmire over digital money concerns taxes. This year, the IRS has been strengthening its ability to track tax payers who own cryptocurrencies by probing digital currency exchanges and threatening to seize the assets of tax evaders. In the latest sign of a looming regulatory crack down on crypto, the Treasury Department has said it will require any transfer worth $10,000 or more to be reported to the IRS.
Clearly the $10K threshold applies to the exchanges.

The IRS might target individuals the same way at some unspecified point in the future but that is not even predicted by the article. At the end of the day, crypto-currencies are tradeable assets and anybody who profits from doing so is already required to declare those profits to the IRS.

Last edited by psionl0; 25th May 2021 at 06:25 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 09:37 PM   #306
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Nope. The sentence is broader before your edits and would encompass exactly what I was talking about. Maybe the article is wrong, but I’m not the one editing it to get to my meaning.

Old 25th May 2021, 09:56 PM   #307
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Nope. The sentence is broader before your edits and would encompass exactly what I was talking about. Maybe the article is wrong, but Im not the one editing it to get to my meaning.
Yes you are. The article says absolutely nothing about individual to individual transfers.
Old 26th May 2021, 01:10 AM   #308
Monica 56
Scholar

You may have a wait of a few years , because we are looking at charts which suggest further corrections are likely . Bottom could be sub 20 k before the market goes back to V type jumps .
The market hit 60k+ on euphoria and now we have corrected to the anxiety level .
The separate Stock Market crash later this year ( minimum 20% correction ) will drag BTC into the morass .
Monica 56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 09:16 AM   #309
Leftus
Master Poster

The financial instruction for the depositing party would submit a Currency Transaction Report.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 09:25 AM   #310
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yes you are. The article says absolutely nothing about individual to individual transfers.
I'm not the one trying to change the language of the sentence:

Quote:
In the latest sign of a looming regulatory crack down on crypto, the Treasury Department has said it will require any transfer worth $10,000 or more to be reported to the IRS.
There is nothing in that sentence that excludes individual to individual transfers. There is nothing in that sentence that limits the reporting to transactions on currency exchanges. The IRS has very broad powers. They are unlikely to limit them just for this type of currency.

Old 26th May 2021, 09:31 AM   #311
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm not the one trying to change the language of the sentence:

There is nothing in that sentence that excludes individual to individual transfers. There is nothing in that sentence that limits the reporting to transactions on currency exchanges. The IRS has very broad powers. They are unlikely to limit them just for this type of currency.
Yep. The words "by probing digital currency exchanges" don't even exist in that article.

Or maybe you think that they started writing about digital currency exchanges and suddenly switched to personal wallet to wallet transfers without telling anybody.

Last edited by psionl0; 26th May 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 26th May 2021, 09:38 AM   #312
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yep. The words "by probing digital currency exchanges" don't even exist in that article.

Or maybe you think that they started writing about digital currency exchanges and suddenly switched to personal wallet to wallet transfers without telling anybody.
Once they are interested in Crypto transactions why would they limit that interest to exchanges?

The current rules on transfers don't require reporting based on how the transfer is made or who the transfer is made between. If I give another citizen a gift of sufficient value I have to report that no matter the form of the gift, be it jelly beans, gold bars or crypto. They are simply saying that they are extending the existing laws to crypto and treating it like a real currency.

Either you agree that it is a real currency and therefore subject to local regulation or you agree that it is a ponzi scheme and has no real value and therefore not subject to regulation. You can't have it both ways.

Old 26th May 2021, 09:55 AM   #313
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If I give another citizen a gift of sufficient value I have to report that no matter the form of the gift, be it jelly beans, gold bars or crypto.
If that is true for other types of assets then it should already be true for cryptos. That just makes the leap that the IRS is "going to" target private wallet to wallet transactions an even bigger deviation from the article. They can't target anonymous wallets but they can target the exchanges since they have to comply with KYC laws.

Either you agree that it is a real currency and therefore subject to local regulation or you agree that it is a ponzi scheme and has no real value and therefore not subject to regulation. You can't have it both ways.
You don't have to start getting stupid. A digital asset is still an asset whether it is a currency or not.
Old 26th May 2021, 07:34 PM   #314
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Monica 56 View Post
You may have a wait of a few years , because we are looking at charts which suggest further corrections are likely . Bottom could be sub 20 k before the market goes back to V type jumps .
The market hit 60k+ on euphoria and now we have corrected to the anxiety level .
The separate Stock Market crash later this year ( minimum 20% correction ) will drag BTC into the morass .
I think would think a stock market crash would lead to more investment in Bitcoin or other pseudo stuff
Old 10th June 2021, 12:35 AM   #315
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Cryptocurrencies also seem to crucial in ransomware attacks. They allow the criminals to get paid anonymously without banks and such.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57423008

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance