IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags zeitgeist , jesus , egyptology , christianity , christ , astrology

Reply
Old 12th June 2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
Zeitgeist the Movie

I see some atheists circulating this video around.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...114455236037&q

Part 2 I'm not interested in. Part 2 is more 9-11 conspiracy stuff which is already being taken care of in other topics. Part 3 demonizes the Federal Reserve Bank. So we could examine that. I know the claim that the FRB always jacks up interest is false, sometimes they want to lower the circulation of money.

But of course it would be a fallacy to say Part 1 is false just cause Parts 2 and 3 are ridiculous. We've got to examine each fact presented and not overgeneralize.

The main reason atheists circulate this around is that it draws parallels between Christianity and astrology. Some of the linguistic claims this video makes is one that I highly doubt. I do agree with the fact Jesus is very similar to pre-existing deities and that many Messiahs were wandering around during Jesus' time.

What I would like us to do is filter out the fact from fiction in this video.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2007, 10:42 AM   #2
boloboffin
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,986
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
I see some atheists circulating this video around.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...114455236037&q

Part 2 I'm not interested in. Part 2 is more 9-11 conspiracy stuff which is already being taken care of in other topics. Part 3 demonizes the Federal Reserve Bank. So we could examine that. I know the claim that the FRB always jacks up interest is false, sometimes they want to lower the circulation of money.

But of course it would be a fallacy to say Part 1 is false just cause Parts 2 and 3 are ridiculous. We've got to examine each fact presented and not overgeneralize.

The main reason atheists circulate this around is that it draws parallels between Christianity and astrology. Some of the linguistic claims this video makes is one that I highly doubt. I do agree with the fact Jesus is very similar to pre-existing deities and that many Messiahs were wandering around during Jesus' time.

What I would like us to do is filter out the fact from fiction in this video.
The God Who Wasn't There analysis
Loose Change Guide
Debunking Federal Reserve CTs
Income Tax myths
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
Good info. I had no idea that Zeitgeist was a parallel to The God Who Wasn't There movie.



The Rational Response Squad offered The God Who Wasn't There movie to people who partook of the blasphemy challenge without any seeming concern about the accuracy of the movie itself.


It's embarassing to see atheists succumb to facts that support their views, rather than be skeptical.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:10 PM   #4
boloboffin
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,986
It's more than a parallel - it seems that the editor of Zeitgeist actually took whole clips of The God Who Wasn't There for the first part, various 9/11 CT movies for the second part, and Aaron Russo's From Freedom to Fascism for the third.
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2007, 01:08 AM   #5
Ersby
Fortean
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,881
A lot of dubious unreferenced material. On the one thing I could check easily - the origin of the words "horizon" and "sunset", the film was wrong. It could almost be a parody at times. A bishop's hat is based on a fish head?!
__________________
"Once a man admits complete and unshakeable faith in his own integrity, he is in an excellent frame of mind to be approached by con men." David W. Maurer, "The Big Con"
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
Originally Posted by boloboffin View Post
It's more than a parallel - it seems that the editor of Zeitgeist actually took whole clips of The God Who Wasn't There for the first part, various 9/11 CT movies for the second part, and Aaron Russo's From Freedom to Fascism for the third.
That's a shame. Good to see this topic is killing 2 woo birds with one skeptical stone I never saw God Who Wasn't There.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2007, 10:17 AM   #7
arockincanada
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4
A few points..

Does anyone know if some of the main statements made in part 1 of this movie are in fact true?

1. Would "The Three Kings" of Orians belt actually line up with Sirius, as to be pointing towards the sunrise on December 25th, (in ~4AD of course.)

2. Does the sun, when viewed from the northern hemisphere, at the winter equinox "stop" moving south (perceivably), for three days, and then start to move north again?

3. On the winter equinox, does the sun set in the vicinity of the southern cross?

4. Is Moses believed to have been alive in ~2150 BC?
arockincanada is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2007, 06:03 AM   #8
RexMundi
New Blood
 
RexMundi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by arockincanada View Post
Does anyone know if some of the main statements made in part 1 of this movie are in fact true?

1. Would "The Three Kings" of Orians belt actually line up with Sirius, as to be pointing towards the sunrise on December 25th, (in ~4AD of course.)
While my astronomy skills are horrible, I was also curious about your first question and so I investigated it using Celestia. I told it to go back to December 25th, year 4 AD and searched on Sirius and turned the constellation outlines on and discovered that the three stars in Orion's belt line up "above" Sirius a little. I can see that back then without the aid of telescopes and software it could be construed as a pointer to the naked eye, I suppose.

I have an analysis picture from Celestia that I cannot post here this this is my first one and I need to do 14 more. Let me know if you'd like to see it.
RexMundi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 12:39 AM   #9
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
I watched the God Who Wasn't There, and it wasn't like Zeitgeist at all. It was much better.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2008, 03:06 AM   #10
Simon Parker
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Exclamation Verititas vos liberab

I have been reading all these views and petty squabbles for some time now. I myself watched Zeitgeist for the first a few weeks ago. I intend to investigate it word for word.

I think the most important thing here to remember is that this film is opening people eyes and hopefully they will start to ask questions.

These myths have gone for far to long.

Anyone out there agree ?? Get in touch
Simon Parker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2008, 04:08 AM   #11
devnull
Philosopher
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 6,057
As an atheist, I thought the Zeitgeist movie was a pile of crap.
__________________
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2008, 02:26 PM   #12
Viper Daimao
Critical Thinker
 
Viper Daimao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 496
anyone here is interested, there's a huge thread about it in the conspiracy theories section. Lot's of good analysis of part 1 by GreNME and nick227 once you get in the teens page numbers. Nick also has a page of issues here.

Also another thread here with some trolling by jerome that shows really how silly the first part of the movie is.
Viper Daimao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:42 AM   #13
druids brew
New Blood
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15
hi there ...somewhat new so a little patience.....it doesnt really matter whether its basis is fact or supposition....anything that gets people challenging the grip that dogma religion has on this planet is a good thing.... what is apparent is that in 50 000 odd years we are further away from the point than we were.
druids brew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:51 AM   #14
druids brew
New Blood
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15
hi..just a slight concern about the liberal use of atheist.....just because one doesnt buy into the hypocritical nonesense of the christian religion by no means makes one an atheist......i have absolutely unquestionable faith in my belief...its just not yours....''judge not lest you yourself be judged''
druids brew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:02 AM   #15
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,127
Originally Posted by druids brew View Post
hi there ...somewhat new so a little patience.....it doesnt really matter whether its basis is fact or supposition....anything that gets people challenging the grip that dogma religion has on this planet is a good thing.... what is apparent is that in 50 000 odd years we are further away from the point than we were.
bolding mine


It doesn't matter whether things are correct or false?

Look, there's lots of problems that can be highlighted with repsect to religion (and 9/11, and taxes). It is not necessary to lie. Nor do most people consider it acceptable.

Zeitgeist lies. Whether intentionally or unintentionally I can not say. But almost everything in that movie was fallacious.

Do you truly not see a problem with that?
__________________
It is sad that this is necessary:
Argumentum Ad Hominem: "You are wrong because you are ugly."
Not Ad-Hom: "You are wrong and you are ugly."

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:41 AM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 54,831
Originally Posted by Simon Parker View Post
I have been reading all these views and petty squabbles for some time now. I myself watched Zeitgeist for the first a few weeks ago. I intend to investigate it word for word.

I think the most important thing here to remember is that this film is opening people eyes and hopefully they will start to ask questions.

These myths have gone for far to long.

Anyone out there agree ?? Get in touch
Replacing one bunch of crap with another bunch of crap benefits nobody.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:44 AM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 54,831
Originally Posted by [X] View Post
bolding mine


It doesn't matter whether things are correct or false?

Look, there's lots of problems that can be highlighted with repsect to religion (and 9/11, and taxes). It is not necessary to lie. Nor do most people consider it acceptable.

Zeitgeist lies. Whether intentionally or unintentionally I can not say. But almost everything in that movie was fallacious.

Do you truly not see a problem with that?
It's called "The Ends Justify The Means".

Zeitgest is pure crap, and it is embarassing that some alleged rational thinkers are embaracing it just because it says some nasty things about Christiniaty.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:46 AM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 54,831
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
I watched the God Who Wasn't There, and it wasn't like Zeitgeist at all. It was much better.
It's much better done technically, although I still question a lot of what is in the film.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:47 AM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 54,831
Originally Posted by druids brew View Post
hi..just a slight concern about the liberal use of atheist.....just because one doesnt buy into the hypocritical nonesense of the christian religion by no means makes one an atheist......i have absolutely unquestionable faith in my belief...its just not yours....''judge not lest you yourself be judged''
Uh, a lot of the people here are Athiest, and find Wicca to be just as silly, if not more so, then Christianity.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:14 AM   #20
sophia8
Master Poster
 
sophia8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,457
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Uh, a lot of the people here are Athiest,
Speak for yourself.
__________________
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:22 AM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 54,831
Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
Speak for yourself.
I did not say everybody who post here is an athiest, I said a lot of them are, and I stand by that. And I made NO comment about my religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd September 2008 at 11:25 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 04:56 PM   #22
Amapola
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,254
No matter what religion a person may happen to be, or not be, and no matter what the poster's religion may happen to be, or not be, the movie Zeitgeist is full of baloney.
Amapola is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 05:57 PM   #23
paximperium
Penultimate Amazing
 
paximperium's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,696
I found Zeitgeist to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Filled with complete and utter crap and lies, it is not only a joke but the people who actually believe in its garbage are more so of a joke. It gives atheists a bad name.
__________________
"The method of science is tried and true. It is not perfect, it's just the best we have. And to abandon it with its skeptical protocols is the pathway to a dark age." -Carl Sagan
"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."-Terry Pratchett
paximperium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.