IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th November 2010, 02:56 AM   #1241
Mirrorglass
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Bubble View Post
Folks, it's

Charles's Book ...

not

Charles' Book

Oh, it's on, now.
Old 10th November 2010, 04:25 AM   #1242
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Folks, it's

Charles's Book ...

not

Charles' Book

Actually, either is correct.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 04:39 AM   #1243
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
I would contend that it's not.
Blue Bubble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 05:10 AM   #1244
dafydd
Banned

No.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 05:26 AM   #1245
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I would contend that it's not.
Under what circumstances would you contend that?

In case it isn't clear, I am attempting to be slightly humorous and am taking no stance regarding the relative correctness or incorrectness of the two punctuations/spellings. In fact, since we have brought up relativity I think it fair to say that for me in my quantized state, the Uncertainty Principle comes strongly into play.
Old 10th November 2010, 05:31 AM   #1246
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Under what circumstances would you contend that?
Under all circumstances.

Quote:
In case it isn't clear, I am attempting to be slightly humorous and am taking no stance regarding the relative correctness or incorrectness of the two punctuations/spellings. In fact, since we have brought up relativity I think it fair to say that for me in my quantized state, the Uncertainty Principle comes strongly into play.
Blue Bubble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 05:38 AM   #1247
Wolrab
Illuminator

Quote:
add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):
the owner's car
James's hat (James' hat is also acceptable. For plural, proper nouns that are possessive, use an apostrophe after the 's': "The Eggles' presentation was good." The Eggles are a husband and wife consultant team.)
add 's to the plural forms that do not end in -s:
the children's game
the geese's honking
add ' to the end of plural nouns that end in -s:
two cats' toys
three friends' letters
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 05:44 AM   #1248
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I feel obliged to point out that your link is not to the original Webster's or even Oxford English, and there is strong evidence that the bit you reference was not actually written by Josephus but added hundreds of years later by a Gaelic scribe.
Old 10th November 2010, 07:31 AM   #1249
Wolrab
Illuminator

Hellooooo! See the OWL in the link? That means it is wise. Sheesh.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 08:06 AM   #1250
Emet
Illuminator

How about:

Boden's ______________*

*Choose from the below:

book

Synonyms: album, atlas, bestseller, bible, booklet, brochure, codex, compendium, copy, dictionary, dissertation, edition, encyclopedia, essay, fiction, folio, handbook, hardcover, leaflet, lexicon, magazine, manual, monograph, nonfiction, novel, octavo, offprint, omnibus, opus, opuscule, pamphlet, paperback, periodical, portfolio, preprint, primer, publication, quarto, reader, reprint, roll, scroll, softcover, speller, text, textbook, thesaurus, tome, tract, treatise, vade mecum, volume, work, writing
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 08:09 AM   #1251
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emet View Post
How about:

Boden's ______________*

*Choose from the below:

book

Synonyms: album, atlas, bestseller, bible, booklet, brochure, codex, compendium, copy, dictionary, dissertation, edition, encyclopedia, essay, fiction, folio, handbook, hardcover, leaflet, lexicon, magazine, manual, monograph, nonfiction, novel, octavo, offprint, omnibus, opus, opuscule, pamphlet, paperback, periodical, portfolio, preprint, primer, publication, quarto, reader, reprint, roll, scroll, softcover, speller, text, textbook, thesaurus, tome, tract, treatise, vade mecum, volume, work, writing
Leave out the possessive altogether. Just call it "The Stewart Code."
Old 10th November 2010, 08:09 AM   #1252
Nursefoxfire
Graduate Poster

How about:

Boden's ______________*

*Choose from the below:

book

Done!
Nursefoxfire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 08:16 AM   #1253
Wolrab
Illuminator

How about:

Boden's ______________*

*Choose from the below:

book

Got me...
Old 10th November 2010, 08:18 AM   #1254
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Hellooooo! See the OWL in the link? That means it is wise. Sheesh.
Does it not mean "oridnary wirzardry level" ?

A witch ! Hang him ! (or burn him if he is from EU).
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 08:27 AM   #1255
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

I use Punctuation, Capitalization, and Spelling from the Schaum's Outline Series, and they state "If addition of an s after an apostrophe is undesirable bcecause of sound or appearance, add only an apostrohe." This is supported in other writing guides as well.

Since I've been doing it that way for decades, I'll continue. If I ever change, you'll know the pods finally got me.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 08:57 AM   #1256
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by patchbunny View Post
I use Punctuation, Capitalization, and Spelling from the Schaum's Outline Series, and they state "If addition of an s after an apostrophe is undesirable bcecause of sound or appearance, add only an apostrohe." This is supported in other writing guides as well.

Since I've been doing it that way for decades, I'll continue. If I ever change, you'll know the pods finally got me.
Thou wouldst claim a language inabsolute? Convention not static? Where leads the madness that would a mark make subjective in its use? Down no road I tread for it is in the trust of a thousand authors that one scribe finds confusion. A moss's rock rolls less far from truth than Charles' tome.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:30 AM   #1257
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

A moss's rock rolls less far from truth than Charles' tome.

Shouldn't that be "A moss' rock rolls ..." ?
Old 10th November 2010, 09:35 AM   #1258
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

If thou wouldst but trouble to check both posessesivessesss in that sentence, thouse wouldst noticest's that I give equal time to both claim's.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:11 AM   #1259
FSM
god

OH, page 32 of this thread, I love you even more than page 7 of this thread... I didn't think it was possible, but it is true.

Isn't Garrette, I don't know, King or something? If so, doesn't he get to decide what to do with an apostrophes's use?

And I will henceforth call it THE BODEN CODEX, because that sounds even more mysterious and important and also requires no difficult apostrophe decision.

Last edited by FSM; 10th November 2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: bigger. bolder.
FSM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 10:16 AM   #1260
FSM
god

Skimming through the link, it seems the author must have, in a previous life, been molested by strawmen. In this life, he takes great pleasure in knocking them down.
(BTW: Page 7, thank you for this, but you needed much more to defeat page 32.)
Old 10th November 2010, 10:16 AM   #1261
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Bubble
A moss's rock rolls less far from truth than Charles' tome.

To be serious for a moment, I recall that, when deciding whether it is preferable to add an apostrophe plus "s" to a one syllable word ending in "s," you should consider whether the final "s" is voiced (Charles or James) or voiceless (moss or Keats). In other words, you generally add 's to a voiceless "s." Moss' definitely doesn't sound right. On the other hand, people do say Keats'.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 10:50 AM   #1262
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
To be serious for a moment, I recall that, when deciding whether it is preferable to add an apostrophe plus "s" to a one syllable word ending in "s," you should consider whether the final "s" is voiced (Charles or James) or voiceless (moss or Keats). In other words, you generally add 's to a voiceless "s." Moss' definitely doesn't sound right. On the other hand, people do say Keats'.
To remain serious, I used to think I was very good at grammar and syntax. Then I took German and learned I didn't know much. I got better at it and considered myself good again. Then I took Russian and learned I didn't know much. I got better and considered myself good again.

Then I came here and find I need to take English again because apparently being a native speaker isn't sufficient.

Sigh.... If only I were a native Mandarin speaker.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:55 AM   #1263
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

After spending a few weeks in China, I found Mandarin speakers to all sound like they're using Kermit the Frog's voice, especially with emphasis on the "r" with a lot of "z"s woven in. The accent became much easier for me after that.

Last edited by Halfcentaur; 10th November 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 11:24 AM   #1264
Blackwell
Graduate Poster

Well, since Big Les is the purchaser, from here on I will call it Big Leses's Book.

And yea, the Lord did text unto the Philistines...
U guys have to stop s1nnig. I totaly <3 U guys 4ever but I will pwn U when I CUL8ER and U will be all OMG! and WTF! and I be LOL!!! - Psiload
Blackwell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 11:50 AM   #1265
FSM
god

Actually, many of us helped purchase it, so it should maybe be the Forums'es Book

(the extra 'e' gives it Extra flava...)

Last edited by FSM; 10th November 2010 at 11:52 AM.
FSM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 11:54 AM   #1266
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

I shall call it:

BODEN'S FOLLY
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 11:58 AM   #1267
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Originally Posted by Audible Click View Post
I shall call it:

BODEN'S FOLLY
That would be a good alternate name for the book, maybe the title for the European Second Edition. Now, all we have to do is convince Charles to change the name of his book and get someone from Europe to order one so there will be a European Second Edition.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 01:03 PM   #1268
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

If thou wouldst but trouble to check both posessesivessesss in that sentence, thouse wouldst noticest's that I give equal time to both claim's.
Ah, the greengrocerererereres's' apostrophe...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 01:12 PM   #1269
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Almost as bad as "unnecessary" quotation marks, such as:

"Boden's" Folly
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 01:39 PM   #1270
Big Les
Philosopher

Oh, you guys..
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 01:41 PM   #1271
Wolrab
Illuminator

COOL! A European second edition will double the royalties my future me will rake in!
Old 10th November 2010, 02:19 PM   #1272
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

COOL! A European second edition will double the royalties my future me will rake in!

You'll have pocketses full of cash.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 02:38 PM   #1273
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

You've convinced me.

Will there be a Cantonese translation of the European Second Edition of Les of the Many Boden's of Folly "Books."?
Old 10th November 2010, 03:49 PM   #1274
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

Brace yourselves!

Oh, to hell with this grammar Nazism! (Although I'd just like to say that in the UK the use of the apostrophe in Charles' book is perfectly acceptable.)

Ladies, gentlemen, persons of (genuine) royal descent, I do believe it's time for a spot of schadenfreude.

Earlier today I had a quick look at the history of the "Lady of Lawers" Wikipedia article and noticed something very interesting: when it first appeared on 28th March 2006 it began with the words:

Quote:
Around 1650, John Campbell of Lawers took for his wife a Stewart from the Appin district of Argyll. No one knows her Christian name as she was always referred to as Baintighearn Labhuir or the Lady of Lawers.
This is essentially the version of the tale that can still be found elsewhere on the net. Not until 24th December 2009 was it altered to read:

Quote:
Around 1630, John Stewart, second son of Laird Duncan Stewart 6th of of Appin, took for his wife a daughter of Sir James Campbell, Sherriff of Perthshire. Her Christian name was Mary Campbell, but she was always referred to as Baintighearn Labhuir or the Lady of Lawers.
I must admit that when I first read the link so kindly provided by Charles I felt a bit...suspicious. Where did this information come from? As we already know, the only person who believes that John Stewart married and had children is Charles Boden.

The edit was made by someone with the IP number 189.25.133.246 who has made no other edits to Wikipedia articles. Look what I discovered through www.ipaddresser.com:

Quote:
Reverse IP Lookup - 189.25.133.246
City/Region/Company: Rio de Janeiro

Charles, is this merely a coincidence? Is Rio de Janeiro crawling with expats obsessed with the Stewarts of Appin? Or have you been caught out in the act of manufacturing evidence?

Enquiring sceptical minds want to know!

Last edited by Alice Shortcake; 10th November 2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Adding bracket, thereby revealing myself to be a grammar Nazi
Alice Shortcake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 03:55 PM   #1275
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alice Shortcake View Post
Oh, to hell with this grammar Nazism! (Although I'd just like to say that in the UK the use of the apostrophe in Charles' book is perfectly acceptable.

Ladies, gentlemen, persons of (genuine) royal descent, I do believe it's time for a spot of schadenfreude.

<snip>

Charles, is this merely a coincidence? Is Rio de Janeiro crawling with expats obsessed with the Stewarts of Appin? Or have you been caught out in the act of manufacturing evidence?

Wow, Alice! Just wow.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 04:00 PM   #1276
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

I must admit that when I first read the link so kindly provided by Charles I felt a bit...suspicious. Where did this information come from? As we already know, the only person who believes that John Stewart married and had children is Charles Boden.

The edit was made by someone with the IP number 189.25.133.246 who has made no other edits to Wikipedia articles. Look what I discovered through www.ipaddresser.com:

I bow down to your superlative investigative skills.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 04:03 PM   #1277
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Busted!

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 04:04 PM   #1278
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Let me test my predictive powers: Go ahead and slam a good amount of "citation needed" tags in there, and i predict that soon enough his book will be added as a citation source. By someone with an IP-Number in Brazil, that is.

In any case, great find, and far too strange to be just a coincidence.

Quite funny how things in this puzzle fall together. He copypasted quotes from his book, and a forumite found that book then. Then he gives some strange ancestry story and references WP and soon enough a forumite will find that strange coincidence in the articles edit history.

Somehow i'm sure that if someone would go to that strange "spiritualist center" over there, that person would surely find out that Charles was talking about his supposed royal ancestry all the time, and thus made it easy for the medium to get and use that piece of information.

I'll bet a six-pack of tasty german beer on all that.

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 04:13 PM   #1279
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Oh, to hell with this grammar Nazism! (Although I'd just like to say that in the UK the use of the apostrophe in Charles' book is perfectly acceptable.

Earlier today I had a quick look at the history of the "Lady of Lawers" Wikipedia article and noticed something very interesting: when it first appeared on 28th March 2006 it began with the words:

This is essentially the version of the tale that can still be found elsewhere on the net. Not until 24th December 2009 was it altered to read:

tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2010, 04:17 PM   #1280
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Kudos, Alice Shortcake!
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal