ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:35 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

WW2 era C-47 to fly rescue mission in the Bahamas...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hu...cid=spartandhp

Looks as if that old saying about the C 47/Dakota is true:

'You can wreck a C 47, but you can't wear it out".

Just more proof why the DC-3 is considered by many aviation historian to be one of the greatest planes in the history of aviation.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I might take issue with "one of".
Old 6th September 2019, 07:09 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I wonder how much of the plane has been replaced during its lifetime?

Like if a plane has 1,000 parts and you replace all 1,000 parts over time then is it the same plane? And if you took those 1,000 discarded parts and reassembled them (say in a museum) would that be the original plane? If the answer to the first question is no then at what point does it cease to be the original plane?
Old 6th September 2019, 08:22 PM   #4
8enotto
Graduate Poster

The airframe number tag defines the original craft. The castoff parts are never going to pass as airworthy again.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 04:00 AM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Awesome work, those teams. And that plane is older than Trump yet it has already done more relief work than him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

Like if a plane has 1,000 parts and you replace all 1,000 parts over time then is it the same plane? And if you took those 1,000 discarded parts and reassembled them (say in a museum) would that be the original plane? If the answer to the first question is no then at what point does it cease to be the original plane?
Ship of Theseus, Trigger's Broom, Granddaddy's Axe. For the latter, the handle's been replaced six times and the head twice, but it's the same axe.

In this case, I would expect much of the original airframe to still be there.
Old 7th September 2019, 11:54 AM   #7
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

I think the real question is, if we swap out all the parts for new ones have we actually solved the teleportation problem?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 06:36 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think the real question is, if we swap out all the parts for new ones have we actually solved the teleportation problem?
This is something discussed in this thread Is DMT the answer to the teleportation problem?
Old 7th September 2019, 08:05 PM   #9
Pope130
Illuminator

The chance to fly one more real mission. A dream come true.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

...and the life of the C47 is not over.

There are companies refurbishing them, extending the fuselage, strengthening the wing centre section and replacing the the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engines with PT6 turbo-props

https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/blog...-fly-soon-die/
  • Max. Payload goes from 3,5 to 5 tons.
  • Internal loading space 35 % increase.
  • Max Takeoff weight goes up from 25,200 to 29,000 lbs.
  • Engine Overhauls are needed only after every 6,000 flight hours. compared with 1,200 for the radial engines.
  • Cruising speed up from 160 to 200 knots

From the perspective of an Aeronautical Engineer like myself, this is just awesome!

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th September 2019 at 06:26 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 02:25 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
...and the life of the C47 is not over.

There are companies refurbishing them, extending the fuselage, strengthening the wing centre section and replacing the the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engines with PT6 turbo-props

https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/blog...-fly-soon-die/
  • Max. Payload goes from 3,5 to 5 tons.
  • Internal loading space 35 % increase.
  • Max Takeoff weight goes up from 25,200 to 29,000 lbs.
  • Engine Overhauls are needed only after every 6,000 flight hours. compared with 1,200 for the radial engines.
  • Cruising speed up from 160 to 200 knots

From the perspective of an Aeronautical Engineer like myself, this is just awesome!
The C 47 is the one of the few WW2 era planes that is still used fairly widely on a day to day business basis,(Ie not as as part of an aerial museum, though some C-47 are, of course used for that purpose).
Only modern day plane that seems to be headed toward that level of longivity is the C 130 Herky Bird, which I think is still being manufactured in the "J" version. The J version is just the classic late 50's designed Herky bird with modern day electronics.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 03:55 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The C 47 is the one of the few WW2 era planes that is still used fairly widely on a day to day business basis,(Ie not as as part of an aerial museum, though some C-47 are, of course used for that purpose).
Only modern day plane that seems to be headed toward that level of longivity is the C 130 Herky Bird, which I think is still being manufactured in the "J" version. The J version is just the classic late 50's designed Herky bird with modern day electronics.

....and I am proud to say that I have had the privilege of being involved in the repair, maintenance and operations of both these outstanding aircraft.

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th September 2019 at 03:58 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 04:56 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And engines.

What the DC-3/C-47 has going for it is sheer numbers. Over 10,000 C-47's built, and 600+ commercial DC-3's.

I expect we'll see 737's flying for a long time as well. Just not the Max version.
Old 9th September 2019, 07:15 PM   #14
Pope130
Illuminator

...snip...The J version is just the classic late 50's designed Herky bird with modern day electronics.
And new engines and props. The newest version of the Alison reduction gearbox still goes in between (its' basic design goes back to the XP-39 in 1937).
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:03 AM   #15
KDLarsen
Illuminator

There's a fair few vintage 1950's designs still flying around, although most of them have been updated and upgraded along the way.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:35 AM   #16
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
There's a fair few vintage 1950's designs still flying around, although most of them have been updated and upgraded along the way.
The B-52, for example...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:24 AM   #17
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Many 1950s designs still in military use, often with significant modifications. B-52, KC-135, P-3, 707 (as E-3, E-8, KC-707 etc.), Cessna 150 and 172, and so on. Acknowledging bias in advance, I point to the C-130 <<< as extraordinary in being an early 1950s design that is not only still in service, but still in production 65 years on.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts