ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 4th September 2019, 12:36 PM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,255
Psychic Kids A&E - Outrageous on so many levels.

Channel surfing just now, I stopped to watch a show on A&E called Psychic Kids. I could not tolerate more then a few minutes. And, I am so angry I am planning on contacting them, though I am aware of the lack of weight that letter would carry.

There was obvious child abuse. The adults were encouraging young kids to draw pictures of the dead they "saw" and to make sure they included in the drawing "bullet holes" and nooses or knives - that caused the spirits physical death.

The little kids were terrified and would not sleep alone. The parents tell them to tell the spirit to "Go to the light", but sometimes they won't leave and the kids are stuck having these "spirits attach themselves". The parents continue to encourage.

So much more. A young teen girl, convinced by parents and other woo that she was a "psychic empath". The girl was always crying because any where she went she "felt the sadness" that had happened in those surrounding areas. Meaning because so much "trauma" and murder had occurred historically.

Sorry. This just pissed me off, and I needed to vent!
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:09 PM   #2
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,463
It's a new low in woo-full programing.
__________________
"When a man who is honestly mistaken, hears the truth, he will either cease being mistaken or cease being honest." - Anonymous

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,618
Justifiably pissed off, I'd say. I vaguely recall a previous thread about the show.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:58 PM   #4
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,255
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Justifiably pissed off, I'd say. I vaguely recall a previous thread about the show.
Yes, I though there was a thread, but ran search and it didn't come up.

I decided to google words like "critical of" or "Comments after viewing", with the show name, and received a few sites. Most written replies I read of those analyzing the show, are hysterically funny! The show is so bad that it inspires jokes to almost write themselves.


Still, it seems the show has been on for several years, and is still popular on A&E. To me, that's deeply disturbing.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 11:30 PM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,271
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes, I though there was a thread, but ran search and it didn't come up.

I decided to google words like "critical of" or "Comments after viewing", with the show name, and received a few sites. Most written replies I read of those analyzing the show, are hysterically funny! The show is so bad that it inspires jokes to almost write themselves.


Still, it seems the show has been on for several years, and is still popular on A&E. To me, that's deeply disturbing.
Apparently it's a reboot. There are new episodes listed for August of 2019 but it was on and cancelled a few years back. I looked it up because psychic crap shows are very popular here; they dub them and run shows from years ago. I was curious why you were seeing a show presently that I know was a few years old, and apparently they just started running the new version. It was on from Malaysia here. I remembered it because the repulsive hot reader in the world, Kim Russo was one of the pheatured phonies. She's not in the new version, though.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:45 PM   #6
Ernie M
Muse
 
Ernie M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 810
"Psychic Kids on A&E" http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3820255 for June 2008 thread.

Yes, this 2019 "Psychic Kids" is a reboot of the 2008-2010 "Psychic Kids."

To start from the first post on the top of the linked "Psychic Kids" page, scroll up after you're on the June 2008 webpage.
__________________
paranormalstateillustrated.com

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 9th September 2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Corrected link. I was unable to start the thread at the beginning of page 1, post 1
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru
 
Czarcasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,076
Czarcasm has a birthday
Imagine how this is going to screw those kids up.
__________________
The sun is out, the birds are singing and all is right with the world.
I loooove my meds!
Czarcasm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:15 PM   #8
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,255
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Imagine how this is going to screw those kids up.
Exactly why I believe the parents are committing a type of child abuse.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:57 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 31,440
Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
"Psychic Kids on A&E" http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3820255 for June 2008 thread.

Yes, this 2019 "Psychic Kids" is a reboot of the 2008-2010 "Psychic Kids."

To start from the first post on the top of the linked "Psychic Kids" page, scroll up after you're on the June 2008 webpage.
I guess they're now screwed up adults.
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady
"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
"Real name? Xavier Jorge Gladdius Horatio McShrimp. No wonder he goes by shemp." - wasapi
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 10:01 PM   #10
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist
 
SusanB-M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,635
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Channel surfing just now, I stopped to watch a show on A&E called Psychic Kids. I could not tolerate more then a few minutes. And, I am so angry I am planning on contacting them, though I am aware of the lack of weight that letter would carry.

There was obvious child abuse. The adults were encouraging young kids to draw pictures of the dead they "saw" and to make sure they included in the drawing "bullet holes" and nooses or knives - that caused the spirits physical death.

The little kids were terrified and would not sleep alone. The parents tell them to tell the spirit to "Go to the light", but sometimes they won't leave and the kids are stuck having these "spirits attach themselves". The parents continue to encourage.

So much more. A young teen girl, convinced by parents and other woo that she was a "psychic empath". The girl was always crying because any where she went she "felt the sadness" that had happened in those surrounding areas. Meaning because so much "trauma" and murder had occurred historically.

Sorry. This just pissed me off, and I needed to vent!
Well, I'm completely with your view. I do not watch TV at all, but on the GH forum there are those who constantly refer to 'psychic powers' and whether they are real or not, and how children 'reveal' them and how there is 'ample evidence' for reincarnation because of what a child says. Why do I read and respond? Well, I do my small part in trying to counteract this idiocy.

The lack of understanding shown that children, by the time they can articulate have been absorbing via their senses trillions of bits of information, come out with bits which the adults interpret as psychic.

It is very worrying.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.