IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th May 2020, 10:21 PM   #1
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

So long, Roy Horn.

A sad day for magicians and Vegas folks. Roy, half of the most famous tiger illusionist act to date, passed away from COVID-19. Roy was a trooper, after nearly having had his head bitten off by a tiger back in 2003, he kept on trucking. It's a shame after all that, it was the virus that claimed him.

I've regretted every day since that 2003 attack being too polite to ask my showbiz friends for tickets to that show, and so I never did get to see it, and very much wanted to.

Does anyone have any Seigfried and Roy stories to share, memories from their act?

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 04:43 AM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
A sad day for magicians and Vegas folks. Roy, half of the most famous tiger illusionist act to date, passed away from COVID-19. Roy was a trooper, after nearly having had his head bitten off by a tiger back in 2003, he kept on trucking. It's a shame after all that, it was the virus that claimed him.

I've regretted every day since that 2003 attack being too polite to ask my showbiz friends for tickets to that show, and so I never did get to see it, and very much wanted to.

Does anyone have any Seigfried and Roy stories to share, memories from their act?
I only ever saw their TV special way back when. The words that came to mind were "cheesy, spectacular, and entertaining." But I guess that's Vegas in a nutshell.
Old 9th May 2020, 11:28 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I only ever saw their TV special way back when. The words that came to mind were "cheesy, spectacular, and entertaining." But I guess that's Vegas in a nutshell.
No, that's Wisconsin.
Old 12th May 2020, 07:10 AM   #4
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

I really, really wish I'd been able to see them live. Absolutely magnificent showmen and by many accounts I've read lovely people. Silly and overblown? Yes, but to an endearing degree.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist. - Dom Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:17 PM   #5
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Just bumping this-belatedly-to say Siegfried sadly died last week also. There will never be illusionists of their kind again.
Old 31st January 2021, 04:53 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post

Saw them in 1994 in Vegas. I remember being impressed at the production quality; this was not just a magic act, it was a multimedia extravaganza that held me spellbound for the 60-90 minutes of the show. Aside from making the elephant disappear (which indeed was impressive), the bit I remember most was that they had a giant robotic dinosaur that picked up these metal containers (they looked like giant soda cans) that supposedly contained the two magicians, and crushed them with his claws.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner