IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 18th January 2022, 07:16 PM   #201
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Actually, facts do matter. You should try using them now and again, instead of just repeating right wing propaganda.

Democrats have wanted a fair and impartial investigation from the beginning. That's why they initially proposed an independent committee, when they were under no obligation to do so.

Republicans, naturally, blocked this effort. And now they caterwaul about the committee being "politically motivated" when in fact, it's their obstructionism that made it political.

Democrats are acting good faith. Republicans - and the brain-dead cultists who parrot their lies on message boards - are not.
As I say, at least we are in agreement that the committee is highly partisan.
Old 18th January 2022, 07:24 PM   #202
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, facts do matter. You should try using them now and again, instead of just repeating right wing propaganda.

Democrats have wanted a fair and impartial investigation from the beginning. That's why they initially proposed an independent committee, when they were under no obligation to do so.

Republicans, naturally, blocked this effort. And now they caterwaul about the committee being "politically motivated" when in fact, it's their obstructionism that made it political.

Democrats are acting good faith. Republicans - and the brain-dead cultists who parrot their lies on message boards - are not.
This ^.

What we have is a party that refused to participate in a bi-partisan investigation, then proposed two highly vocal Trump supporters, then got all miffed and self-righteous when they were rejected and started screaming what a partisan investigation it was. Poor babies.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 07:29 PM   #203
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This ^.

What we have is a party that refused to participate in a bi-partisan investigation, then proposed two highly vocal Trump supporters, then got all miffed and self-righteous when they were rejected and started screaming what a partisan investigation it was. Poor babies.
This is perhaps a watershed moment, with two vocal Dems admitting the highly partisan nature of this committee...in agreement with me.

Perhaps my opinion of the Dem position on this forum as being idiotic is misplaced.
Old 18th January 2022, 07:56 PM   #204
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, at least we are in agreement. It is a highly partisan committee.

Blame it on whoever you want. It doesn't matter.
Most of the Republican side refuses to do the basic job of holding Trump accountable.

Because of this, the Jan 6 committee is filled with mostly Democrats. You're somehow screeching "PARTISAN! OUARNCUWEINRYW!" like it means anything, like it's some unwarranted hit job against Trump. He did something wrong, he just happens to be on the other side, but that side refuses to do anything, so this side has to. Get over it.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 07:59 PM   #205
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Most of the Republican side refuses to do the basic job of holding Trump accountable.

Because of this, the Jan 6 committee is filled with mostly Democrats. You're somehow screeching "PARTISAN! OUARNCUWEINRYW!" like it means anything, like it's some unwarranted hit job against Trump. He did something wrong, he just happens to be on the other side, but that side refuses to do anything, so this side has to. Get over it.
Get over what? I hope the Dems use this opportunity to sink Trump, politically.

If they don't..what a bunch of losers.
Old 18th January 2022, 08:11 PM   #206
Venom
Philosopher

The Democrat track record in Congress, even just communicating its agenda to its base, has been piss poor for decades. So there's reason for pessimism. But what I'm trying to get into your head is there are two major players in this, and the relentless damage control and widespread propaganda from congressional Republicans and Republican-aligned media play a part in keeping Trump politically afloat.

"Okay let's see you get this done; if you fail you're a bunch of losers" is just downright simplistic.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 09:29 PM   #207
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Compared to Benghazi, it's not one iota partisan.

It is intellectually dishonest to assume that just because Republicans will always be partisan that Democrats will be, too.

You still haven presented any evidence for partisanship.

- Robert M. Pirsig

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 18th January 2022 at 09:33 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 09:33 PM   #208
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

And what will you say the Republicans - who know exactly what Trump is and did and yet actively worked to prevent them doing so - are a bunch of? Winners, I suppose.

The real losers will be the citizens of your country.
Old 18th January 2022, 09:50 PM   #209
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Did you not read earlier, when I stated that the Republicans played the situation stupidly? I guess not. That doesn't change the factual eventual outcome of a highly partisan committee.

As I have also mentioned, Dems will squeal like a gerbil stuck in Richard Gere's ass in order to avoid admitting this.

Clearly demonstrated by the comments.
The problem is not us, Warp12. The problem is you claiming it is primarily a partisan committee when that is a minor issue. It's a GOP/Dump-cult talking point and you don't seem to recognize why no one is buying your claim of not being a Dump supporter.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 10:02 PM   #210
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I guess Warp unreservedly supported both impeachments.
Right?

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 10:13 PM   #211
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Just a reminder that there are, in fact, two Republican representatives on the committee. At least one of them* is a solid conservative by any measure other than in the "undying loyalty to Donald Trump" metric.

The only way it is partisan is if you ignore the actual political parties and only define "party" by who has sworn fealty to Trump and who hasn't. That is not how anyone defines our political parties, except for the most fervent of Trump supporters.

*I really ought to spend some time learning more about Kinzinger.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM   #212
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I guess Warp unreservedly supported both impeachments.
Right?
I am rather ambivalent towards both of them. Generally speaking, the first one was a complete waste of time and resources, and the second one very much rushed. Everyone knew they were both likely to die in the Senate.

So, a symbolic victory for the Democratic party, I suppose.
Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM   #213
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I am rather ambivalent towards both of them. Generally speaking, the first one was a complete waste of time and resources, and the second one very much rushed. Everyone knew they were both likely to die in the Senate.

So, a symbolic victory for the Democratic party, I suppose.
But not hyper-partisan?

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM   #214
Warp12
Illuminator

But not hyper-partisan?
Huh? They were both fairly split along party lines, as you might expect. But there are other threads for that discussion, I'm sure.

As I say, I am not overly passionate about the topic.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 AM   #215
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Huh? They were both fairly split along party lines, as you might expect. But there are other threads for that discussion, I'm sure.

As I say, I am not overly passionate about the topic.
not in the Senate.

It's fascinating that you consider the Impeachments to be legitimate and bipartisan, if poorly executed, and the J6C as hyperpartisan.

Can you explain what makes them different, when in both cases it was refusal of Republican participation that made them a Democrat driven effort?

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM   #216
Warp12
Illuminator

not in the Senate.

It's fascinating that you consider the Impeachments to be legitimate and bipartisan, if poorly executed, and the J6C as hyperpartisan.

Can you explain what makes them different, when in both cases it was refusal of Republican participation that made them a Democrat driven effort?
I don't think I am denying a highly partisan split in the impeachments. Just like I am pointing out the highly partisan nature of this committee. It is humorous, watching Dems deny this as a partisan committee. Meanwhile, they are screeching about a similar party divide in the SCOTUS, and willing to rewrite the rules after more than 150 years, in order to change it.

Why deny reality? Embrace it and make the most of it.

Last edited by Warp12; Yesterday at 04:08 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #217
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I don't think I am denying a highly partisan split in the impeachments. Just like I am pointing out the highly partisan nature of this committee. It is humorous, watching Dems deny this as a partisan committee. Meanwhile, they are screeching about a similar party divide in the SCOTUS, and willing to rewrite the rules after more than 150 years, in order to change it.

Why deny reality? Embrace it and make the most of it.
150 years. How dramatic.

Didn't the Republicans decide in 2017 that SCOTUS nomination actions no longer need 60 votes (Gorsuch)?

Also, appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM   #218
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Thinking 2+2=4 and that 2+2=5 has to have a debate where both sides get to argue doesn't make you "bipartisan" or "open minded" or "outside the echo chamber" or "a free thinker" it just makes you an idiot, 9 times out of 10 an idiot who thinks 2+2=5.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #219
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

We don't, but your detachment from reality on this point explains a lot about the garbage you routinely post.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #220
plague311
Great minds think...

This has been pointed out before, but I might have missed the answer.

Isn't the fact that there are 2 Republicans on the committee make it, by definition, NOT partisan?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #221
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

Isn't the fact that there are 2 Republicans on the committee make it, by definition, NOT partisan?
The Proudly Wrong Trolls on the Right are going to scream about it being "partisan" as long as reality doesn't agree with them.
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #222
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Proudly Wrong Trolls on the Right are going to scream about it being "partisan" as long as reality doesn't agree with them.
I just find it ironic that...people who crow about the lack of skepticism on this forum are completely defying any form of logic when applying well-defined terms.

It is, by definition, bi-partisan in every way the word is used. Breaking with your party doesn't make you a member of the other party. It doesn't give the people breaking with said party an innate bias. To imply otherwise would be stupid.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #223
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The problem is we're still treating "Bipartisan" as a positive concept when one side has adopted a post-fact mindset.

Again "Both sides" stops being a virtue when one side is probably wrong.

We don't need Republicans on anything related to Jan 6 anymore than we need mobsters on a jury to make "fair."
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #224
Venom
Philosopher

And objectivity =/= neutrality
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #225
Warp12
Illuminator

It's a supermajority, 7-2. As has been mentioned, this is along the lines of the SCOTUS. And that is considered such a partisan divide that Dems are considering changing what has been on the books for 150 years, by packing the court.

So all of this talk of this committee not being partisan is a joke.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #226
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It should be Partisan because one Party didn't help the Coup.

This is not complicated, despite how much insane ranting you're doing about it.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #227
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It should be Partisan because one Party didn't help the Coup.

This is not complicated, despite how much insane ranting you're doing about it.
You are right, it isn't complicated. The insanity is people denying it is partisan.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #228
plague311
Great minds think...

It's a supermajority, 7-2. As has been mentioned, this is along the lines of the SCOTUS.
Absolutely. Lifetime appointments to the highest court on the land are reasonably compared to a committee. For sure. Totally the same.

And that is considered such a partisan divide that Dems are considering changing what has been on the books for 150 years, by packing the court.
Ok, but having a partisan divide isn't the same as not being bi-partisan, is it? The SCOTUS is bi-partisan in that members of both parties are on the SCOTUS, as stupid as it is to have judges that belong to parties, but I digress.

The problem with comparing SCOTUS to this committee is that their political divide is extremely more serious than this committee and so the weight of that divide is significantly higher. SCOTUS also doesn't\didn't provide an opportunity for an even split of members, to which one "side" decided to, mostly, pick up their ball and go home.

No, what's a joke is throwing out a false equivalence and pretending like it means jack ****. It doesn't. The two aren't even relatively comparable.

Also, you've been using loaded terms like "hyper partisan" and the like. Stick with one.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #229
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You are right, it isn't complicated. The insanity is people denying it is partisan.
No it's sane. Whether it's partisn or not is depending how insane one party has gotten.

You can't hide behind "We have to be non-partisan" while one side slips further and further into insanity.

I mean well you can because for some reason reality doesn't work on you, but actual like real people can't.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #230
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You don't often see "ITS NOT X" and "OF COURSE ITS X" argued side by side this closely.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #231
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You don't often see "ITS NOT X" and "OF COURSE ITS X" argued side by side this closely.
You would if you weren't so partisan!

I dunno, it's all I had.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #232
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You would if you weren't so partisan!

I dunno, it's all I had.
Maybe if we redefine "partisan" to mean "likes to party, son", we.could score some refreshing adult beverages and celebrate the New Year?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #233
johnny karate

It's a supermajority, 7-2. As has been mentioned, this is along the lines of the SCOTUS. And that is considered such a partisan divide that Dems are considering changing what has been on the books for 150 years, by packing the court.
Yes, we all remember that time the Republicans suggested an evenly split Court and the Democrats told them to go **** themselves, and the Republicans had no choice but to fill the Court with members of their own party. Totally the same thing.

Quote:
Again, you're thinking of the numerous Benghazi investigations, none of which you had a problem with.

This January 6th committee was explicitly set up to not be partisan, and just because the majority of the members are Democrats doesn't mean it is partisan.

The only joke around here is this sad charade in which you try to convince people that you're a neutral arbiter of truth and not just regurgitating what you watched on Fox News last night.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #234
Warp12
Illuminator

Again, you're thinking of the numerous Benghazi investigations, none of which you had a problem with.
Quite frankly, I didn't follow those investigations that closely. But I certainly have no problem admitting that they were partisan with political motivations, based on what I have read.

It's politics. Nobody has agreed to Marquess of Queensberry rules, I'm afraid.

As I say, Dems should use this to their best advantage. They would be stupid not to, and I think there are strong signs that they will try to make the most of it.

Last edited by Warp12; Yesterday at 01:37 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #235
johnny karate

Quite frankly, I didn't follow those investigations that closely.
What a truly stunning turn of events.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #236
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like one of the insurrectionists couldn't hold his act together:

Quote:
Capitol rioter ordered back to jail after DWI arrest, discovery of AR-15 rifle in car

A man accused of rioting at the U.S. Capitol has been ordered to be returned to federal custody after authorities said he tried to flee an arrest on suspicion of drunk driving last month and police found an AR-15 rifle in his car.
The man, James Tate Grant, 29, of North Carolina, was on pretrial release in connection with allegations that he assaulted two police officers at the rampage on Jan. 6, 2021.
Quote:
In Grant’s car, police recovered an AR-15 assault rifle, 60 rounds of ammunition, weapon accessories and combat fatigues, court documents said.
Quote:
The motion to detain Grant also said he provided urine samples that tested positive for amphetamines in October and November.
The motion said: "He was caught driving drunk with an assault rifle and over 60 rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, and initially attempted to flee from law enforcement. There are no conditions or combination of conditions that could ensure the safety of the community and Grant’s presence in court if he were to remain released."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics