IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Biden administration , Biden controversies , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 18th January 2022, 10:58 AM   #3161
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I find it ironic that, after eight years of people insisting that Bush was going to make himself god-emperor and nothing happened, and four more years of people saying Trump was going to make himself god-emperor and nothing happened, the thing that occurs to you is that Biden needs to make himself god-emperor for some reason. Some almost certainly very stupid reason.
This seems like a joke, right?

Bush had his brother and a right wing SCOTUS rat-**** him into the first term by stealing the election, and Trump whipped up a mob of CHUDs to riot when his hare-brained attempts to rig the election results failed.

The modern history of right wing presidencies is one of increasingly overt power grabs and election rigging.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th January 2022 at 11:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 10:45 PM   #3162
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at a couple current Texas voting rights things...

Quote:
New I.D. requirements for ballot applications have resulted in rejections of nearly half of the absentee applications in Travis County, home to the state's capital of Austin. Worse, the state's Secretary of State has yet to issue rules for how County Clerks may legally notify or help the rejected voters to cure their applications in advance of the state's March mid-term primaries. (The application deadline is Feb. 18.)

Many of the rejected applications are from voters that have been voting by mail for years. But the new state law now requires applicants to include either a drivers license number or state I.D. number or the last four digits of their Social Security number on the application. While some don't notice the new requirement and are rejected on that basis, others do include one of those numbers, but are still being rejected! Why? As Democrats had warned when trying to block the bill, the TX law now requires that whichever number a voter uses on their application must match the number on their voter registration form, many of them completed years ago. If the voter includes a drivers license number on their application, for example, but their registration includes a State I.D. number instead -- or no number at all (as is the case with millions of voter registrations in the Lone Star State) -- their applications must now be rejected.
And on the current gerrymander -

Quote:
Last week, in an op-ed for Washington Post, Li describes the notion that gerrymandering hasn't been too bad for Democrats this year as a "misleading narrative" for a host of reasons. Experts, he notes, had predicted a bunch of safe Democratic seats would be remapped into Republican districts. "They expected Democratic seats to fall," Li explains. "But instead, what Republicans are doing is shoring up the disproportionate advantages they already hold" following the extreme partisan gerrymanders from 2011.

"In Texas, under the old maps, Democrats have 36% of the seats. Under the new maps they have 37% of the seats, so very little change," he tells me by way of just one example. "But the competition is gone. So whereas under the old maps there were competitive districts, under the new maps, even if Democrats got 58% of the vote [across the state], they would still have the same 37% of the seats, which hardly seems fair. Even if Texas turned deep blue, Republicans would have almost a 2-to-1 advantage. That's the perniciousness of the state's gerrymander."
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #3163
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Biden just completed an hour and 45 minute press conference. Nobody who watched could have any reasonable doubt about his cognitive abilities.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-22/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #3164
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Biden just completed an hour and 45 minute press conference. Nobody who watched could have any reasonable doubt about his cognitive abilities.
Presumably he didn't say anything you thought was stupid or incoherent. Did he say anything you disagree with?
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #3165
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably he didn't say anything you thought was stupid or incoherent. Did he say anything you disagree with?
What does that have to do with his cognitive abilities?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #3166
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
What does that have to do with his cognitive abilities?
It has to do with his presidency. He took to the bully pulpit for almost two hours. The fact that he did so without sounding like a literal idiot should be the least significant thing about his speech. Especially with this audience, which didn't doubt his cognitive abilities to begin with.

Besides dispelling the greatly exaggerated rumors of his dementia, was there anything significant in the content of what he had to say?

I framed it in terms of stuff you disagreed with because I figured it would be boring if it was just choir-preaching the whole time, and interesting if he said something of substance that you dissented from.

From which you dissented.

Anyway, the thread is about Biden's presidency. Did his press conference tell you anything about his presidency other than he's mentally okay?
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #3167
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It has to do with his presidency. He took to the bully pulpit for almost two hours. The fact that he did so without sounding like a literal idiot should be the least significant thing about his speech. Especially with this audience, which didn't doubt his cognitive abilities to begin with.

Besides dispelling the greatly exaggerated rumors of his dementia, was there anything significant in the content of what he had to say?

I framed it in terms of stuff you disagreed with because I figured it would be boring if it was just choir-preaching the whole time, and interesting if he said something of substance that you dissented from.

From which you dissented.

Anyway, the thread is about Biden's presidency. Did his press conference tell you anything about his presidency other than he's mentally okay?
I confess I did not listen, busy doing other things. You were responding to a statement specifically about his cognitive abilities, so I figured your response was relevant to that.

If I had listened, I imagine I'd find some things to disagree with, because although I think he's sounded a little tougher recently, I find him rather tepid much of the time. I'll likely read about it in tomorrow's paper.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #3168
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I have heard the part when he said he was surprised that the Republicans opposed him. That certainly demonstrated something about his ability to comprehend the spectacularly obvious... but not that it's gotten any worse than it already was all along.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #3169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I confess I did not listen, busy doing other things. You were responding to a statement specifically about his cognitive abilities, so I figured your response was relevant to that.

If I had listened, I imagine I'd find some things to disagree with, because although I think he's sounded a little tougher recently, I find him rather tepid much of the time. I'll likely read about it in tomorrow's paper.
Wait, so you saw this as him passing an endurance test? No idea if he actually passed a coherency test? I'm dubious about claims of his senility, just as I'm dubious about claims that Tucker Carlson has ever actually "destroyed" anyone in an interview. But come on.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #3170
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I have heard the part when he said he was surprised that the Republicans opposed him. That certainly demonstrated something about his ability to comprehend the spectacularly obvious... but not that it's gotten any worse than it already was all along.
I gotta figure that's just bog standard politician mendacity. He's still running the moderate, bipartisan Joe playbook.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #3171
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, so you saw this as him passing an endurance test? No idea if he actually passed a coherency test? I'm dubious about claims of his senility, just as I'm dubious about claims that Tucker Carlson has ever actually "destroyed" anyone in an interview. But come on.
I didn't see it as anything. Bob001 made an observation, to which you responded, to which I responded because I did not think your answer very good. Simple as that.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #3172
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Just write bills that get 60 votes. It is not hard.
The Republican mode of operation is that nothing gets through. Even positive bills are killed in case they make the Dems look good.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #3173
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What if I play it showed down and apply a hazy filter?

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:26 AM   #3174
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't see it as anything. Bob001 made an observation, to which you responded, to which I responded because I did not think your answer very good. Simple as that.
My bad. I confused you with Bob at some point. Sorry about that. Guess maybe I'm the senile one!

Guess my question still stands, too. Maybe Bob will answer it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics