ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th April 2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Will Hospitals give back an amputated limb if you ask for it?

Something I didn't know. From the YT channel: Today I Found Out
https://youtu.be/2EpDQ53zb3Q

Last edited by Steve001; 7th April 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 06:20 AM   #2
jonesdave116
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Something I didn't know. From the YT channel: Today I Found Out
https://youtu.be/2EpDQ53zb3Q
If they refused I imagine you could take them to court. However, I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 07:01 AM   #3
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
If they refused I imagine you could take them to court. However, I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on.
Probably would be dis-armed pretty quickly.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Tinfoil Hater
Graduate Poster

Well dentists will give you extracted teeth if you ask. Limbs might be a different story
Old 7th April 2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Tinfoil Hater View Post
Well dentists will give you extracted teeth if you ask. Limbs might be a different story
Dentists can do amputations?

(Actually, do dentists have enough medical education that they could do an amputation?)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 08:16 AM   #6
wasapi
Illuminator

Yes. My stepson had his leg amputated after a climbing accident. He later took the leg and buried it after doing a little solitary ceremony.
Old 7th April 2018, 08:22 AM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes. My stepson had his leg amputated after a climbing accident. He later took the leg and buried it after doing a little solitary ceremony.
He could have had it taxidermied and made it into a lamp!
Old 7th April 2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Steve001
Graduate Poster

I'm glad my dentist does not do amputations.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In the vid it was mentioned someone did that.
Old 7th April 2018, 12:18 PM   #10
wasapi
Illuminator

I don't recall all of his options, but he did research other ideas of what to do with the limb. He did not have a problem getting his limb after it was amputated, and made the request prior, but the amputation had to happen as soon as possible, since his leg was almost ripped off by a boulder when he was rock climbing in Thailand.

He has been into physical endurance since he was a child. I'm really proud of him.
Old 7th April 2018, 01:19 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My oral surgeon gave me my extracted tooth without being asked. It had a gold crown on it, which was worth a few dollars. I chucked it.
Old 9th April 2018, 02:32 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Would that be a lamputation ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 03:09 AM   #13
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Sounds like an issue that would cost an arm and a leg to kick around. Lots of digits.
Old 9th April 2018, 04:26 AM   #14
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I don't recall all of his options, but he did research other ideas of what to do with the limb. He did not have a problem getting his limb after it was amputated, and made the request prior, but the amputation had to happen as soon as possible, since his leg was almost ripped off by a boulder when he was rock climbing in Thailand.

He has been into physical endurance since he was a child. I'm really proud of him.
Not sure it's that easy in the west.

I asked for the little tubes they cut out for my vasectomy. Doc said they needed to keep them in case they ever needed to prove they cut out the right bits or something.

Guess they didn't want to get pinged for child support.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:04 AM   #15
RedPillNeo
Thinker

Exclamation

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Not sure it's that easy in the west.

I asked for the little tubes they cut out for my vasectomy.
There's a vas deferens between those and an entire limb.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:11 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RedPillNeo View Post
There's a vas deferens between those and an entire limb.
You should be PUNched hard for that.
Old 16th April 2018, 06:41 AM   #17
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yes you can get amputated, or otherwise removed, body parts.
Back 'in the day' my sister kept ker removed appendix in a jar on her desk for years.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 02:10 PM   #18
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

It probably depends on jurisdiction. I know that here in BC you can't really ask for an amputated limb.

Burial is respectful, but I think the first concern is about mistreatment of a body part. They end up in the wrong hands, even innocently. I recall an elementary student bringing in her dad's enucleated eyeball for show and tell, optic nerve hanging out and everything. That was a bit traumatizing for seven year olds.

The second concern is about contamination. Body parts are incinerated, unless previously arranged to be donated to medical research/education, in which case they're decontaminated and preserved.

And times have changed - I could have asked to keep my tonsils back in the 1960s, but it's not allowed today. I suspect a lot of these body part handling rules emerged in the 1980s during AIDS scare, and CJD, MRSA, &c have shored up the anxiety.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology