ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 9th June 2018, 09:03 PM   #3601
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Let me stop you right there. James Clapper is a god damn liar. He has no more credibility than Trump.
Sorry, but that's an impossibility.
Old 9th June 2018, 10:37 PM   #3602
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That's basically the problem. You know that the case against Trump relies on the Steele dossier, but you don't know why the dossier and its use are themselves so suspicious.

What do you know about the Steele dossier?
No. It doesn't.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 11:32 PM   #3603
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

And what do you think the real story of the Dossier is?

SG's version isn't the real version, BTW.
Can just say what you think and stop waiting everyone's time.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 12:12 AM   #3604
Lurch
Critical Thinker

The Dossier's veracity is moot. Remember, it was just the intel one guy could collect over a not particularly lengthy period. The subsequent investigation has gone well beyond this (due to the number of investigators), and has resulted in some 20 subjects being indicted.

Trumpettes are grasping onto *anything* where doubt remains, in an effort to both delude themselves and distract the rest of us.

At this point, we in the peanut gallery might as well forget completely Steele's dossier. It's now only serving as a bone for the Trumpers to gnaw on and growl over, and has no real relevance simply because it has been superceded by the Mueller investigation.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 01:17 AM   #3605
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
At this point, we in the peanut gallery might as well forget completely Steele's dossier. It's now only serving as a bone for the Trumpers to gnaw on and growl over, and has no real relevance simply because it has been superceded by the Mueller investigation.
I'm in full agreement with this. The time when the Dossier had any meaningful relevance to the discussion has long since passed.
Old 10th June 2018, 01:56 AM   #3606
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Uranium One.
Debunked

You know that the case against Trump relies on the Steele dossier...
No, we don’t “know” that and neither do you. You may want to believe the Nunes memo is gospel, but surely even you can see that it was more than a little motivated by partisanship.

Or, I don’t know, can you? You’re still pulling out the long-dead Uranium One CT. Maybe you can’t.
Old 10th June 2018, 04:44 AM   #3607
NoahFence
Banned

That leaves out quite a bit.
The class is still waiting, professor.
Leaves out what, exactly? You wouldn't be taking this time to invent new facts, would you?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 06:08 AM   #3608
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
McCabe
Strok
Paige
Comey
That's a great list of honorable civil servants who went down fighting for this country and our way of life.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 06:10 AM   #3609
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I'm in full agreement with this. The time when the Dossier had any meaningful relevance to the discussion has long since passed.
Lol

That is hilarious! Might this be reality setting in?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 06:11 AM   #3610
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's a great list of honorable civil servants who went down fighting for this country and our way of life.
I’m so glad you posted that.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 06:16 AM   #3611
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I’m so glad you posted that.
I vicious slander against true patriots can't go unanswered.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 06:18 AM   #3612
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Perpetuating has a clear damaging impact on Trump. He loses his mind when he tweets about it. He makes himself appear guilty when talks about it. It's forced serious news people to use the words golden shower and the president in the same sentence. there are some clear indications it's damaged his home life. If it damages Trump it's good for the country.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:19 AM   #3613
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I vicious slander against true patriots can't go unanswered.
You better take that up with the DOJ inspector general and their office of professional standards who strongly disagree, with McCabe’s apparently criminal behavior in particular.

- Cyrée Jarelle Johnson The Root
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 07:21 AM   #3614
lomiller
Philosopher

You know that the case against Trump relies on the Steele dossier, but you don't know why the dossier and its use are themselves so suspicious.
Please try to stick to something remotely resembling reality.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:28 AM   #3615
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You better take that up with the DOJ inspector general and their office of professional standards who strongly disagree, with McCabe’s apparently criminal behavior in particular.
We'll have to see something untainted by Trump and reviewed by a judge. Until then it's just a Trump claim and we all know he can't be trusted.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:33 AM   #3616
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

We'll have to see something untainted by Trump and reviewed by a judge. Until then it's just a Trump claim and we all know he can't be trusted.
One will really have to try harder than that:

The DOJ inspector general was not appointed by Trump, and the correspondence from McCabe’s lawyer requesting an immunity deal is in the public record (as are the spectacularly unseemly texts from the two **** buddies).

Sigh

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 07:36 AM   #3617
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

One will really have to try harder than that:

The DOJ inspector general was not appointed by Trump, and the correspondence from McCabe’s lawyer requesting an immunity deal is in the public record (as are the spectacularly unseemly texts from the two **** buddies).

Sigh
Seems a reasonable response by McCabe's lawyer. Can't fault the legal strategy. Hardly means the Trump administration isn't trying to railroad him.

Last edited by Craig4; 10th June 2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:48 AM   #3618
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Seems a reasonable response by McCabe's lawyer. Can't fault the legal strategy. Hardly means the Trump administration isn't trying to railroad him.
How quickly we go from McCabe is a patriot to ignoring the facts about the OIG to asserting that McCabe's criminal lawyer is acting reasonably in obtaining an immunity deal before testifying before Congress arising out of his misconduct while the person who was second in charge at the FBI.

Quote:
"The report found that McCabe lied to or misled federal investigators at least four times, with three of these instances occurring while he was under oath. The report also stated that his approval of disclosures to the media was within his power, but was a policy violation because it was done "in a manner designed to advance his personal interests at the expense of Department leadership."
Lying under oath to advance one's personal interests at the expense of the FBI.

Sounds like a patriot, don't it.

Old 10th June 2018, 11:15 AM   #3619
Aridas

Lol

That is hilarious! Might this be reality setting in?
I'm mildly curious about what hilariously nonsensical things you are thinking about my (or given you, the "left's") views about the Dossier to get to a response like this.
Old 10th June 2018, 11:34 AM   #3620
Aridas

Perpetuating has a clear damaging impact on Trump. He loses his mind when he tweets about it. He makes himself appear guilty when talks about it. It's forced serious news people to use the words golden shower and the president in the same sentence. there are some clear indications it's damaged his home life. If it damages Trump it's good for the country.
Nice as that may sound to some, it's not high on my list of reasons to perpetuate something. An added bonus, maybe, but... the massive death toll and unpreparedness of Puerto Rico for another hurricane would be an example of something that I think should be focused on more. There are so very many other stories that would have been major news under any other administration that have been quickly railroaded by one thing or another, too. Trump loses his mind about all kinds of crap, either way, so no need to make it all about him even if you want that to happen.

Last edited by Aridas; 10th June 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 11:36 AM   #3621
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Lying under oath to advance one's personal interests at the expense of the FBI.

Sounds like a patriot, don't it.
Like Donald Trump Jr. Mike Flynn, Jared Kushner, Jeff Sessions, Paul Manafort and I wonder who else? Lets get the Trumpster under oath. I pretty much guarantee he will lie. In fact, Trump lied more than 20 times under oath before he became President.
Old 10th June 2018, 02:03 PM   #3622
logger
Banned

That is some heavy duty denial there.
Old 10th June 2018, 02:49 PM   #3623
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's hard to prove a quid pro quo, but it's easy to justify the suspicion. You don't need to bribe everyone in the chain of approval. You only need to bribe the person who might refuse approval if you don't bribe them. And you don't even have to know that they'll refuse approval absent a bribe, you just have to be worried about the possibility. No one else in the chain need know anything about it, and it's obviously better if they don't.

There is something deliciously ironic about a Trump fanboy trying to use "suspicion" of a quid pro quo in a half-assed effort to demonize someone else.

Lotta projection goin' on right there.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 02:52 PM   #3624
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

That's basically the problem. You know that the case against Trump relies on the Steele dossier...
As others have pointed out... No, the case against Trump does not rely on the Steele dossier.

Things that we know about Trump/Russia connections that were either discovered independent of the Steele Dossier or have been independently verified:

- Trump asking Russia to hack into Clinton's servers during the election. (Ok, that was just rhetoric, but it shows Trump had little regard for the rule of law or national security)

- Statements from Trump's sons about how he gets all the money he needs from Russian banks. (There are also other business dealings between Trump and various Russian Oligarchs, but just the "Trump gets money from Russia" statement should be enough to arouse anyone's curiosity)

- Trump advisor Papadopoulos bragged about Russia having "dirt" on Clinton.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/30/polit...ump/index.html

- Meetings between the Trump campaign team and a Russian connected to their administration (along with an email about how "if its what I think it is its great"). This of course was accompanied by multiple lies.... first a failure to mention the meeting in various security forms, then lies about what happened.)

- Actions by Trump as president... delays in implementing sanctions required by congress, and a request to readmit Russia into the G7/G8.

Not one of those items relies on the Steele dossier for verification.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 03:04 PM   #3625
Aridas

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
- Actions by Trump as president... delays in implementing sanctions required by congress, and a request to readmit Russia into the G7/G8.
As an addendum to this, there's still the question of whether the President and his administration is actually enforcing the sanctions that were eventually implemented. As of April, when the last burst of reporting on the subject seems to have happened, the answer was still "no." Even when it comes to the implementation in the first place, though, the Meese Gambit seems to be in play. "We're going to sanction you after giving you plenty of time to rearrange your assets and prepare for them so you'll barely be affected by them." Yeah, that's totally in keeping with the intent of retaliation for crimes committed against the US.

Last edited by Aridas; 10th June 2018 at 03:26 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 05:30 PM   #3626
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Senator Richard Blumenthal in response to Ryan claiming no evidence of collusion: "There is evidence of collusion."

No longer pussy-footing around the issue, he went on to cite some of the evidence.
Old 10th June 2018, 05:32 PM   #3627
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Senator Richard Blumenthal in response to Ryan claiming no evidence of collusion: "There is evidence of collusion."

No longer pussy-footing around the issue, he went on to cite some of the evidence.
Oh goody, can you post it please?
Old 10th June 2018, 06:24 PM   #3628
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I'd suggest looking that there was evidence that he claimed there was evidence of collusion first... because bull **** all the way around

Old 10th June 2018, 08:32 PM   #3629
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Because no one has posted anything like it here in this thread already.
Old 10th June 2018, 08:34 PM   #3630
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Because no one has posted anything like it here in this thread already.
But more importantly, what did Blumenthal put out?
Old 11th June 2018, 10:24 AM   #3631
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Mod InfoThread continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics