ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 17th September 2018, 03:43 AM   #1601
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Must admit the cathedral look nice. I might to visit it ! Where can I get my fake passport and perfume ?

Remember to awkwardly drop the height of the spire into conversation whenever possible afterward.
Old 17th September 2018, 04:52 AM   #1602
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Remember to awkwardly drop the height of the spire into conversation whenever possible afterward.
And spend your brief time in the city walking to the area where peolle were poisoned with the same substance as discovered in your hotel room.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 04:54 AM   #1603
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Read this thread. As for Eliot Higgins' and Dan Kaszeta's credibility in general: Here and here and here and any other review of their "work" by actual experts you'd like to check. Don't you think there might be a reason why reviewers don't just disagree with their conclusions but go so far as to call them "counterfeit experts" and "frauds" and things like that?
The idea that an SU-25 shot the airliner down is as laughably stupid as 9/11 conspiracists claiming a missile hit the Pentagon.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 09:23 AM   #1604
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

The point is that the use of chemical weapons is illegal under international law. Just because Putin and Trump and Israel and Isis have no respect for international law is not the point. This can lead to war and the murder of ambassadors:

https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/custo.../v1_rul_rule74

Quote:
No official contrary practice was found. No State has claimed that chemical weapons may lawfully be used in either international or non-international armed conflicts. On the contrary, there are numerous statements to the effect that chemical weapons must never be used and must be eliminated.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 17th September 2018 at 09:24 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #1605
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Is Henri a bot?
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 02:12 PM   #1606
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The idea that an SU-25 shot the airliner down is as laughably stupid as 9/11 conspiracists claiming a missile hit the Pentagon.
Face it, it would be hard pressed to shoot down a Photo reconnaissance Spitfire, but at least would be faster than it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 02:38 AM   #1607
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Is Henri a bot?
That's ruddy rude.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 03:08 AM   #1608
Information Analyst
Philosopher

BBC News: Salisbury incident - Hoax 'likely' to be one line of inquiry

"A hoax is likely to be one line of inquiry after a couple apparently fell ill in a Salisbury restaurant on Sunday prompting a major incident, police sources have told the BBC.

Alex King, 42, was admitted to hospital with his wife, six months after a nerve agent attack in the same city.

Mr King is a convicted criminal and once hoaxed Prince Charles.

Police sources said until the man had been spoken to, "we can't rule anything in or out".

On Tuesday, Mr King's wife, Anna Shapiro, 30, told the Sun that the Russian state had poisoned her and her husband in Prezzo.

The paper reported it was "what security sources fear was a suspected rat poison attack".

Ms Shapiro is a model and an Israeli citizen of Russian heritage."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 03:45 AM   #1609
fagin
Philosopher

Ms Shapiro is an attention whore seeking her 15 minutes of fame.
Old 20th September 2018, 04:01 AM   #1610
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Just curious, what do you see she's doing different from her husband?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 04:16 AM   #1611
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Talking bollocks to the press. If the Sun can be termed press.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russian-mo...060717925.html

Seriously?

"She told The Sun she believes the Russians think she's a British spy, adding: “I was targeted by Putin’s henchmen. They want me dead as I oppose Putin and have turned my back on my country. Russia is capable of anything.”"

A quick Google search (I don't know why I bothered) shows absolutely no results for her prior to this nonsense, let alone opposing Putin, so she must do it very quietly.
Old 20th September 2018, 04:24 AM   #1612
fagin
Philosopher

And the Sun has now removed the story from their website, for 'legal' reasons.

"Sun removes story from website for ‘legal reasons’ as police sources indicate one line of inquiry could be that claims are hoax"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...t-the-sub-plot
Old 20th September 2018, 11:23 AM   #1613
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Looking Hawt?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events