ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Old Today, 11:16 AM   #1881
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

A Supreme Court nominee needs no qualification other than the ability to being nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.
We don't know all about the FBI background check, and he certainly didn't get the scrutiny a Security Clearance would have required. Furthermore, the FBI doesn't make any recommendation when it comes to nominees.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #1882
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
his gambling habits, his drinking and his debt show that he is a highly compromised character - with or without a habit of sexual misconduct.
Highly compromised? How do you figure? The FBI background check uncovered that he occasionally carried a high debt load... Which he serviced in the usual way like a responsible adult. The FBI background check did not uncover evidence of him showing up to court drunk, or issuing rulings under the influence. It didn't uncover evidence of his judgements being suborned, using his gambling or other debts as a lever.

How highly compromised is that?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #1883
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
getting pilloried by the last gasp leftists
You see, this is exactly why you fail.

Not everyone here (or in the political world) who opposes the confirmation of Kavanaugh (or think his background needs to be re-examined) is a "leftist". There are many people who may have conservative or centrist leanings, yet still dislike Trump and/or dislike the idea of a possibly drunk rapist with gambling problems taking a position on the supreme court.

It shouldn't be a left-vs-right issue whether a potential drunk rapist is sitting on the supreme court, but the republicans (and you) are making it that way.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #1884
Bob001
Philosopher

well the "decent ordinary human beings" who subscribe to guilty before proven innocent.... hmmm, so not "decent ordinary human beings" at all but partisans who are suffering from a touch of TDS
To repeat -- again -- this is not a criminal proceeding. He's a job applicant. The only question is whether he's the best person for the job. And he wasn't even on the Federalist Society's first list of prospects. There is no real doubt that he was nominated to the Supreme Court because he has expressed the opinion that the President can't be charged, indicted, subpoenaed or investigated. Trump needs him.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #1885
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Allow me to help you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence

If somebody puts a gun to your head and says "Gimme your wallet!," that's an act of violence, even if he doesn't pull the trigger.
To be fair, the term's been expanded to the point where anything remotely unpleasant constitutes violence.

(That's hyperbole, by the way)

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:22 AM   #1886
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
It shouldn't be a left-vs-right issue
Ah but, you see, everything is a left-vs-right issue now.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #1887
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
This is what happens when you don't look up words in a dictionary: you get overly broad and completely imprecise definitions.

Is it so incredibly tough for you to accept that rape doesn't necessarily involve violence? This doesn't diminish the seriousness of rape.

Quote:
If somebody puts a gun to your head and says "Gimme your wallet!," that's an act of violence, even if he doesn't pull the trigger.
No in that example they are threatening violence. Note the subtle difference between threatened violence and actual violence.

Again this doesn't diminish or otherwise minimize the seriousness of threatening to kill someone.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; Today at 11:27 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #1888
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Highly compromised? How do you figure? The FBI background check uncovered that he occasionally carried a high debt load... Which he serviced in the usual way like a responsible adult. The FBI background check did not uncover evidence of him showing up to court drunk, or issuing rulings under the influence. It didn't uncover evidence of his judgements being suborned, using his gambling or other debts as a lever.

How highly compromised is that?

Kavanaugh has a public servant salary, so 200,000 was estimated as 1/5 of the net worth of him and his wife combined.
No responsible person would take up that much debt.
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #1889
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Highly compromised? How do you figure? The FBI background check uncovered that he occasionally carried a high debt load... Which he serviced in the usual way like a responsible adult.
Even if an individual has been able to cover large debts (such as gambling debts) in the past, there is always a chance that in the future such debts will become too much to handle.
Quote:
The FBI background check did not uncover evidence of him showing up to court drunk, or issuing rulings under the influence.
The FBI background checks cover some information, but FBI agents aren't psychic and its possible for some problems to go unnoticed.

If, at some point, evidence presents itself to suggest a background check may have missed something, the proper course of action is not to just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, I guess we have to confirm a drunk rapist for the supreme court". The proper course of action is to say "We may have missed something... lets dig a little deeper to make sure its not a serious issue".

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #1890
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

getting pilloried by the last gasp leftists
So you missed his preparatory meetings. Understandable.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #1891
kellyb
Philosopher

Kavanaugh has a public servant salary, so 200,000 was estimated as 1/5 of the net worth of him and his wife combined.
Seriously. Almost a quarter of a million dollars in consumer crap they couldn't afford. I've never personally known anyone who managed to accumulate even a a tiny fraction of that much consumer debt.
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #1892
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So you missed his preparatory meetings. Understandable.
Yeah, I was busy.

Most legal beagles understand the difference between preparing a witness, and "coaching" a witness. here we have a women who went from negligible memory to having some sort of memory. That ain't preparing, friendo, that is coaching.

particularly when one is hammered as she was.

Let me know if you need any legal style tips.
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #1893
carlitos
"más divertido"

"Oh well, I guess we have to confirm a drunk rapist for the supreme court"..
Jumping from something that might have happened, and something else that might have happened, to "drunk rapist" is ridiculous.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #1894
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Quote:
It shouldn't be a left-vs-right issue
Ah but, you see, everything is a left-vs-right issue now.
I'm Canadian (so I couldn't vote in the U.S. elections if I wanted to), but I regularly vote for the Canadian right-of-center political party. If I were in the U.S. back in the 80s I might have voted for Reagan and/or Bush Sr. Heck, I even defended Bush Jr. on this forum.

And I am firmly against Trump, and think Kavanaugh should be rejected.

I do not hold the opinions I do because "I'm a leftist". I hold them because I consider myself a rational human being, and recognize that the republican party (as it currently stands) has basically gone to crazy-town. They've thrown their lot in with the evangelical christians (with all the lying and dishonesty that comes with that).

(Admittedly I suspect you were kidding when you said 'everything is left vs right')

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #1895
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe so. But the fact is that he serviced that debt like a responsible person, and there's no evidence that he was ever actually compromised by it. Let alone "highly" compromised.

There's no prudery in being concerned about allegations of sexual abuse. But you seem to be compensating for that by turning the prudery about everything else up to eleven.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #1896
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Kavanaugh is going to be the poorest Supreme Court judge, with a $860,000 mortgage on a $1.2 million home, twice refinanced: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/br...ice-2018-07-10

The other judges net worth is between $2 million and $7 million each.
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #1897
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Even if an individual has been able to cover large debts (such as gambling debts) in the past, there is always a chance that in the future such debts will become too much to handle.
He's managed his affairs responsibly so far, but that could change at any moment? How is that not the same disqualifier for every candidate for every position of responsibility ever?

Also, "he may be compromised in the future" is a very different argument from "he's highly compromised already."

Quote:
The FBI background checks cover some information, but FBI agents aren't psychic and its possible for some problems to go unnoticed.
And if you're just a brain in vat, it's possible that the FBI is psychic, and that Kavanaugh is just an illusion anyway. You're moving into Confirmation Hearings of the Gaps territory, now.

Quote:
If, at some point, evidence presents itself to suggest a background check may have missed something, the proper course of action is not to just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, I guess we have to confirm a drunk rapist for the supreme court". The proper course of action is to say "We may have missed something... lets dig a little deeper to make sure its not a serious issue".
Where do you draw the line between "dig a little deeper" and "no confirmation as long as any allegations remain un-disproven"?
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #1898
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Not having money doesn't disqualify you from become a Supreme Court Judge.

But from what we know form his financial history, it doesn't look like he has been very responsible, fiscally.
And frankly, the story of the season ticket stinks.

What I am worried about is that Kavanaugh is vulnerable on many fronts (alcohol, money, attractive women), which is not something I would want in a Supreme Court Judge, even if he was 100% aligned with my ideology.
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #1899
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm Canadian
So am I, and I have no loyalty to any party or side.

Quote:
(Admittedly I suspect you were kidding when you said 'everything is left vs right')
...I wouldn't say kidding. Maybe a bit of hyperbole, but notice how topics tend to devolve into polarized politics.

Old Today, 11:47 AM   #1900
Arcade22
Illuminator

Kavanaugh is going to be the poorest Supreme Court judge, with a $860,000 mortgage on a $1.2 million home, twice refinanced: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/br...ice-2018-07-10

They must have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel when they dredged up this broke ass sex pest. Clearly America can... no wait... Clearly Trump can do better than this!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #1901
Belz...
Fiend God

Completely responsible.

Old Today, 11:50 AM   #1902
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
They must have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel when they dredged up this broke ass sex pest. Clearly America can... no wait... Clearly Trump can do better than this!
Maybe Kavanaugh has pissed away a lot of his money on booze....
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #1903
carlitos
"más divertido"

I have fronted baseball season tickets in the past, to the tune of $12 - 15,000. It's not a cheap pastime. Post-season can cost as much as the whole regular season, you have to pay in advance, and they are not even refunded if the team doesn't make it. It just applies towards your next season, unless you want to give up your tickets.

Disclaimer - I don't gamble much.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #1904
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

In olden times, government positions were sometimes denied to those with financial woes on the grounds it would make them vulnerable to corruption and extortion. However, in the current era, a jackass having bad credit, a ton of debt, and being underwater on multiple mortgages isn't particularly unusual. It's quite in keeping with the population at large, so why balk at it? Heck, it might serve to counter the overly-rich other judges. Do a bunch of millionaires really have a grounded perspective on real life for the majority of Americans?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics