ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:06 PM   #121
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

So, going off Game of Thrones, this is essentially the Real Life Craster.
Old 14th February 2018, 10:01 PM   #122
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Taking in good faith legal age was hit before they met. (not that I believe this).

I'd see it at the exteme end of sexual things I'd let people do. It grosses me the **** out, but so does getting **** on, and there are millions of people in the world who love that and I've no right to stop them.

I'd probably throw a joke or two that person's way and not feel bad, but if they want to, go nuts.
I am pretty sure you over estimate the number of people who desire to be **** on. It is a real "thing" but not that widespread, though I do suspect it is that rather than the thing most people claim that the Russians have trumpf videoed doing....

Unfortunately I cannot locate at the moment that figure though it is, by some, considered to be a small portion of the men who enjoy S&M based activities (ca. 15% for S&M))
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 11:58 PM   #123
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Sigh. What part of what I posted was oppositional to what you said? I am educated and aware of syphilis. THEY TESTED FOR OTHER THINGS ALSO. This was 1997 in California. The test checked for more than syphilis, and was eliminated because of privacy issues.

I'm aware of the health problems of STDs, please don't condescendingly talk down to me.
You indicated that you objected to the blood test. I thought I might point out that it was not all intended as an invasion of privacy, that there were good and solid reasons for it (that largely do not matter now). Congratulations on your knowledge of STDs.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 12:06 AM   #124
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Agreed. We have a pair of twins in our family that look nothing alike. One looks just like her mother at that age and the other looks like her father's sister at that age. They have different colored hair and eyes and are at least 6 inches different in height as they approach adulthood. You'd be hard pressed to say they were even sisters if you met them, much less twins. Their paternity is not at all questionable.
Fraternal twins are essentially just siblings, with no particular reason to look like each other.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 08:09 PM   #125
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Thursday, April 12, 2018 05:59PM
NEW MILFORD, Conneticut (WABC) --
A North Carolina father and daughter who had a baby together are dead, along with the baby and the girl's adoptive father, a family attorney confirmed.
http://abc7ny.com/4-dead-including-b...-case/3332906/
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 08:51 PM   #126
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What a horrific end to this story.

What exactly happened? The scenario most quickly evoked is that Katie Pladl for some reason had decided to flee with her adoptive father, and Steven Pladl hunted them down and killed them both, before later killing himself. But when the baby was killed and by whose hand can't be guessed using the information given in that article.

I'm also unclear about Steven Pladl's other young children, the ones he had before he started having the affair with his daughter. Did they eventually go to their mother, or were they still living with Steven and their half-sister/stepmother and if so, where are they now?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 09:25 PM   #127
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Taking in good faith legal age was hit before they met. (not that I believe this).

I'd see it at the exteme end of sexual things I'd let people do. It grosses me the **** out, but so does getting **** on, and there are millions of people in the world who love that and I've no right to stop them.

I'd probably throw a joke or two that person's way and not feel bad, but if they want to, go nuts.
Outside of some Germans and fewer Japanese (due to both of those having a strong cleanliness culture which is needed to form the decision/wish to perform or being performed on the shorter starred in the op and/or the Trump Syndrome if you know what I mean (the Russians certainly did) it is highly unlikely there are even a million and more likely at most in the 5-6oo,ooo range . It is, of course, a non-painful form of masochism.

Last edited by fuelair; 12th April 2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: repeated phrase
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 11:31 PM   #128
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This CBS article provides a much more comprehensive description of the events, which are known with a lot more certainty than suggested by Shepherd's linked article.

Steven Pladl, Katie, and the baby were not living together. Steven was currently residing in North Carolina, and the baby was in the care of a relative in the same town, although Steven had visitation rights. Katie Pladl's bond required her to be living with her adoptive parents in New York State while the incest case was in process.

Evidently Katie phoned Steven from New York on Wednesday to tell him she was ending their relationship. After the phone call, Steven Pladl killed the baby at his house, after picking him up from the relative under the pretense of an overnight visit. He then drove to New York, where the circumstances suggest he found and chased down Katie and her father and killed them in their truck. Then, after calling his own mother to report what he had done, he killed himself.

Last edited by Checkmite; 12th April 2018 at 11:32 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 12:17 AM   #129
Cain
Straussian

You ever make a prediction that's broadly correct, but completely wrong? When I first heard about these people I said, "Yeah, that's not going to end well."
Old 13th April 2018, 09:29 AM   #130
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

New word needed: Auto+ or Homo+ something that means "cleansing of the gene pool" ? Auto-culling?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2018, 07:34 AM   #131
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

homo eliminatus : to eliminate man

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events