ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Denmark incidents , obituaries , Prince Henrik

Old 14th February 2018, 02:00 PM   #1
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

HRH Prince Henrik, Denmark died today.

Henrik was Prince consort = Husband to the queen.

In Denmark, the current regent is a queen. Thus, her husband is "Prince Consort".

HRH Prince Henrik died today aged 83 after a period of disease and ailing health.

Just for information.

Hans
Old 14th February 2018, 02:07 PM   #2
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
In Amurica we don't need such distinctions.

Here it's "President," "First Lady," and "intern."
Old 14th February 2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

I gather he wanted to be buried apart from her because he was never titled "king" when they married. True or false?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 11:11 PM   #4
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Are there Prince Concubines to take his place?
Old 14th February 2018, 11:52 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I gather he wanted to be buried apart from her because he was never titled "king" when they married. True or false?
It has always struck me as a little odd that if you marry the King, you become the Queen, but if you marry the Queen you become the Prince Consort or whatever title they are using nowadays. It's like it's understood that if there is a King and a Queen that the King is in charge.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 12:32 AM   #6
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
What happens when a King marries a King?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 12:54 AM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Then they're both Queens.

"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 01:12 AM   #8
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Correct.

I wonder if any modern European monarch (you know what I mean) has been less liked.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 01:13 AM   #9
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It has always struck me as a little odd that if you marry the King, you become the Queen, but if you marry the Queen you become the Prince Consort or whatever title they are using nowadays. It's like it's understood that if there is a King and a Queen that the King is in charge.
This is the situation in Denmark, not universally.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 01:19 AM   #10
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Henrik was Prince consort = Husband to the queen.

In Denmark, the current regent is a queen. Thus, her husband is "Prince Consort".
The philosopher Patrice O'Neal broke this down, though he applies it to dating in America. If you're a King, any woman you marry, it doesn't matter how dumb or ugly, becomes the QUEEN. She gets elevated to the highest social rung in your society. However, if you're a man and you marry the Queen... then you're just the mutha-****a who married the Queen.
Old 15th February 2018, 01:44 AM   #11
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Hmm. Hedwig of Poland was crowned king ("król") as they did not have a feminine variant or an equivalent of "queen". When Wladyslaw II, Grand Duke of Lithuania, married her, he also became (co-)king, and continued to rule after her death. Thus were laid the foundations for what would eventually become the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 15th February 2018 at 01:46 AM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 02:33 AM   #12
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

That is correct. A little strange to suddenly realize that nearly fifty years after marrying a heir to a crovn. However, he did seem to loose the grip somewhat during the latest years, and he was actually diagnosed with dementia last year. So perhaps the lung infection that killed him was a blessing in disguise.

Hans
Old 15th February 2018, 07:51 AM   #13
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
This is the situation in Denmark, not universally.
In Britain as well, isn't it? Philip and Albert are/were both prince-consorts, not kings. William and Mary were the exception, they were both co-monarchs in their own right.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 07:54 AM   #14
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
In Britain as well, isn't it?.....
Yeah, I think so.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:57 AM   #15
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Correct.

I wonder if any modern European monarch (you know what I mean) has been less liked.
I don't know about that. Henrik had his fans. His style was flamboyant and independent .... French, in short.

I think many Danes were annoyed he never bothered to learn the language very well. And his bickering about his position was seen as illoyal to the (very popular) queen.

I don't think he was really much disliked, just not taken that seriously. But then, most Danes have a very relaxed view on royalty.

Hans
Old 15th February 2018, 08:21 AM   #16
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
There is a distinction between Queen Regnant, a queen who is the actual monarch, and Queen Consort, a queen who is married to the king and doesn't actually rule. By the same token it's possible to be King Regnant or King Consort. However, there's a clear imbalance in that the title of King Consort is so rarely used, with Prince Consort being a more common title, that "King" is normally assumed to be equivalent to "King Regnant." But it's not entirely unknown.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:23 AM   #17
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Well, considering the remarks some people have made about a different Prince Consort...

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:33 AM   #18
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Well, considering the remarks some people have made about a different Prince Consort...

Dave
You mean that bad-mouthed, politically-incorrect Greek?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:49 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Correct.

I don't know anything about Henrik, but your own Prince Consort doesn't seem particularly popular. I think you've mentioned him yourself.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:01 AM   #20
dann
Philosopher

It seems as if he's going to be all over the place:

Quote:
Prins Henriks aske skal spredes i havet og nedsættes i Frederiksborg Slotshave (Berlingske, Feb. 14, 2018)

I was on a plane to Las Palmas this Saturday, Feb. 10. On board were also Folketingets formand (the chairman of the Danish Parliament). After we landed and people started turning on their cell phones, she got up and told the other passengers that Prince Henrik had died between take-off in Kastrup and landing in Las Palmas!
I guess she was just ahead of her time – for once.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 10:32 AM   #21
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
There is a distinction between Queen Regnant, a queen who is the actual monarch, and Queen Consort, a queen who is married to the king and doesn't actually rule. By the same token it's possible to be King Regnant or King Consort. However, there's a clear imbalance in that the title of King Consort is so rarely used, with Prince Consort being a more common title, that "King" is normally assumed to be equivalent to "King Regnant." But it's not entirely unknown.

Dave
In the constitutional monarchy od Denmark, it is simply a question of language:

Konge (=King): A male monarch.

Dronning (=Queen):

1) The wife of a king.
2) A female monarch.

So, the term "Dronning" is ambiguous, due to historical reasons (Queen Margrethe II is only the second female monarch in the history of Denmark).

This is the simple reason why prince Henrik could not be king; he was not a male monarch.

Hans
Old 15th February 2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

For those who don't understand this exchange between gerdbonk and angrysoba, it's a subtle grammar tyrant comment on those who capitalize the word king when it's referring to the position as well as a reference to a little-known historical incident involving conspiracies, an assassination plot, and a royal scandal. (I'm surprised angrysoba is familiar with it, since -- for obvious reasons -- it was hushed up by the security services of several nations after the matter was resolved.)

Basically, what happened is that noted detective Ellery Queen was appointed by the parliament of [COUNTRY NAME DELETED] to be their king in order to investigate [CONSPIRACY DETAILS DELETED]. At the time he and Carole King were romantically involved, and shortly after assuming the position of king he married her. So a Queen was king, and a King was queen.

But Carole King at the time had strong feminist beliefs, one of which was that a woman should not adopt her husband's last name as hers after getting married. So she remained Carole King rather than becoming Carole Queen -- King did not become a Queen even though she became a queen.

Carole encouraged Ellery to make a statement in support of the feminist movement by adopting her last name after they were married, but he declined to do so -- Queen did not become a King even though he became a king.

So a king and a King were married, and a Queen and a queen were married -- but they remained a king and a King, or a Queen and a queen, so they were neither two Kings nor two kings, neither two Queens nor two queens.

This is obviously what gerdbonk and angrysoba were referring to. I'm surprised but pleased to see I'm not the only one familiar with the incident. Indeed, in light of recent US history it's a shame the full details of the conspiracy Queen managed to uncover were kept from the public and some of the key conspirators managed to avoid the disgrace and punishment they should have received.

Obviously I can't publicly name the conspirators, especially not the lead conspirator, or disclose the classified details, but I think it's okay to say a little bit about the denouement of the case. Queen had gathered many of the key players together for a high stakes Pinochle game -- one of the stakes being his life. On the final hand, Queen held very good cards. "I won the bid," he declared, "so I get to name

[REMAINDER OF THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN DELETED. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RECONSTRUCT OR REPOST THE REMOVED PARTS]

Last edited by Nova Land; 15th February 2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: classified
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 10:50 AM   #23
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It seems as if he's going to be all over the place:

I was on a plane to Las Palmas this Saturday, Feb. 10. On board were also Folketingets formand (the chairman of the Danish Parliament). After we landed and people started turning on their cell phones, she got up and told the other passengers that Prince Henrik had died between take-off in Kastrup and landing in Las Palmas!
I guess she was just ahead of her time – for once.
Did you get a chance to kick her shin?

.... Didn't mean that. ... much.

Hans
Old 15th February 2018, 10:53 AM   #24
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Hans
That made me wonder who your speaker is, so I clicked the wiki-link from dann's post. Seeing that photo, I'm confused. I thought she was prejudiced against brown people?

Last edited by ddt; 15th February 2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:03 AM   #25
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
That made me wonder who your speaker is, so I clicked the wiki-link from dann's post. Seeing that photo, I'm confused. I thought she was prejudiced against brown people?
I think tanned white people are OK with her (as long as they're Danish and Christian).

Hans
Old 15th February 2018, 11:05 AM   #26
autumn1971
Master Poster

The only good noble is a dead noble.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 11:10 AM   #27
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

That happened once in Czechoslovakia. They became Czech mates.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 11:55 AM   #28
dann
Philosopher

More than a chance! I was in the seat behind hers, but I'm afraid I didn't use it!
Not that I'm a big fan ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 12:00 PM   #29
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

For the past thirty years or so, Prince Henrik was rumored to be gay. I have no idea if he was, and I don't care.
Old 16th February 2018, 07:13 AM   #30
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
For those who don't understand this exchange between gerdbonk and angrysoba, it's a subtle grammar tyrant comment on those who capitalize the word king when it's referring to the position as well as a reference to a little-known historical incident involving conspiracies, an assassination plot, and a royal scandal. (I'm surprised angrysoba is familiar with it, since -- for obvious reasons -- it was hushed up by the security services of several nations after the matter was resolved.)

Basically, what happened is that noted detective Ellery Queen was appointed by the parliament of [COUNTRY NAME DELETED] to be their king in order to investigate [CONSPIRACY DETAILS DELETED]. At the time he and Carole King were romantically involved, and shortly after assuming the position of king he married her. So a Queen was king, and a King was queen.

But Carole King at the time had strong feminist beliefs, one of which was that a woman should not adopt her husband's last name as hers after getting married. So she remained Carole King rather than becoming Carole Queen -- King did not become a Queen even though she became a queen.

Carole encouraged Ellery to make a statement in support of the feminist movement by adopting her last name after they were married, but he declined to do so -- Queen did not become a King even though he became a king.

So a king and a King were married, and a Queen and a queen were married -- but they remained a king and a King, or a Queen and a queen, so they were neither two Kings nor two kings, neither two Queens nor two queens.

This is obviously what gerdbonk and angrysoba were referring to. I'm surprised but pleased to see I'm not the only one familiar with the incident. Indeed, in light of recent US history it's a shame the full details of the conspiracy Queen managed to uncover were kept from the public and some of the key conspirators managed to avoid the disgrace and punishment they should have received.

Obviously I can't publicly name the conspirators, especially not the lead conspirator, or disclose the classified details, but I think it's okay to say a little bit about the denouement of the case. Queen had gathered many of the key players together for a high stakes Pinochle game -- one of the stakes being his life. On the final hand, Queen held very good cards. "I won the bid," he declared, "so I get to name

[REMAINDER OF THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN DELETED. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RECONSTRUCT OR REPOST THE REMOVED PARTS]

<reply intercepted by GCHQ>

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events