ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2018, 01:17 AM   #1
Bob001
Philosopher

Rape by badge....

Some cops consider rape and sexual assault perks of the job:
Quote:
Research on “police sexual misconduct” — a term used to describe actions from sexual harassment and extortion to forcible rape by officers — overwhelmingly concludes that it is a systemic problem. A 2015 investigation by the Buffalo News, based on a national review of media reports and court records over a 10-year period, concluded that an officer is accused of an act of sexual misconduct at least every five days. The vast majority of incidents, the report found, involve motorists, young people in job-shadowing programs, students, victims of violence and informants. In more than 60 percent of the cases reviewed, an officer was convicted of a crime or faced other consequences.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.c4cb58c083ee
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

From a UK perspective: Revealed: the scale of sexual abuse by police officers

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/...e-power-police
Old 14th January 2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I’m familiar with several local cases. As the article indicates, these are frequently associated with traffic stops.
I would say that this mirrors the pervasiveness of sexual harassment in society. Within recent years we’ve had reports of widespread abuse occurring at the hands of dentists, doctors, and other medical professionals.
Years ago, when my wife was first separated from her first husband and applying for jobs, she was literally chased around an office desk by a prospective “employer”....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 08:36 AM   #4
fuelair
Suspended

Possibly if the rapist officers would lose the offending parts by smashing with a hammer followed by several years in prison this problem would be much alleviated.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’m familiar with several local cases. As the article indicates, these are frequently associated with traffic stops.
I would say that this mirrors the pervasiveness of sexual harassment in society. Within recent years we’ve had reports of widespread abuse occurring at the hands of dentists, doctors, and other medical professionals.
Sure, there's plenty of bad stuff around. But cops are the only people who can use the full power of the state to identify victims, isolate them, assault them and shield themselves from consequences. And as the story notes, there are specific, practical steps police departments could take to monitor cops and reduce the possibility of attacks, but many don't seem inclined to do so.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what percentage of these incidents actually gets reported? Well down in the single digits, I expect.
Old 14th January 2018, 10:43 AM   #7
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

People given tremendous power and authority coupled with laughably pitiful oversight and accountability often abuse that authority?

I'm absolutely shocked. Shocked!
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Years ago, when my wife was first separated from her first husband and applying for jobs, she was literally chased around an office desk by a prospective “employer”....
Several logs even more outrageous and despicable when committed by an LEO, no? Not only are police charged with maintaining the law, but if you are raped by a cop, who do you go to to seek justice? Another cop? The cop's supervisor? A review board? Somehow none of those choices sounds good, and several carry the risk of being raped again, arrested on a trumped up charge, publicly humiliated, or all three.

Imagine how vulnerable and frightened you would feel if raped by the very arm of society meant to protect you?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 12:54 PM   #9
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Several logs even more outrageous and despicable when committed by an LEO, no? Not only are police charged with maintaining the law, but if you are raped by a cop, who do you go to to seek justice? Another cop? The cop's supervisor? A review board? Somehow none of those choices sounds good, and several carry the risk of being raped again, arrested on a trumped up charge, publicly humiliated, or all three.

Imagine how vulnerable and frightened you would feel if raped by the very arm of society meant to protect you?
If I were in a position of having been assaulted by cops, I'd contact the local office of the FBI to file criminal charges as well as notifying the ACLU and news organizations. I think the anger at being betrayed at such a fundamental level would overcome any feelings of shame or hesitation in making it known to the public.

I would never make a local complaint because of the ease at which they are ignored or "lost" or otherwise disregarded.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 01:25 PM   #10
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
If I were in a position of having been assaulted by cops, I'd contact the local office of the FBI to file criminal charges as well as notifying the ACLU and news organizations. I think the anger at being betrayed at such a fundamental level would overcome any feelings of shame or hesitation in making it known to the public.

I would never make a local complaint because of the ease at which they are ignored or "lost" or otherwise disregarded.
In many of these cases the victims are vulnerable for a variety of reasons and their attackers know it. The last thing the victims want is media attention. And they still have to live there; they don't want to have to worry about every cop on the street coming after them. If you'd go straight to the FBI you're probably not the kind of person that a cop would pull this with in the first place.
Old 14th January 2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The last time statistics were published in Scotland showing how many police officers were suspects for rape or other sex crimes was back in 2016.

http://www.spa.police.uk/assets/1268...7612/suspended

There were 5 of them, all constables and the list does not include senior officers (withut making it clear what rank is excluded). Since then, the Scottish Police Authority has refused to publish details, as they clearly want to cover up how bad the problem is. Now minutes have this on display;

"SPA Governance Framework Section 27 (b) Where public discussion of the information may prejudice national security, legal proceedings (including misconduct or disciplinary proceedings), or police operations"

Quite how telling the public how many police officers are currently suspected of rape hinders investigations and may be prejudicial to national security is a mystery known only to those in the SPA.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Body cams are probably going to make this "perk" obsolete.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 06:55 PM   #13
smartcooky
Philosopher

Sadly, this crap happens here too...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1641...t-four-of-them
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 07:05 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I suspect not. They are easy enough to turn off or ignore.
Old 14th January 2018, 07:52 PM   #15
EHocking
Philosopher

Can you say "body cam sexting"?

I envisage private police booze ups where the best of their body cam videos are shown for their amusement.

I dare say that it happens right now with other police surveillance equipment and evidence.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 04:12 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Those other groups have a more difficult time targeting such vulnerable segments of society from such a position of legal power.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 09:30 AM   #17
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
In many of these cases the victims are vulnerable for a variety of reasons and their attackers know it. The last thing the victims want is media attention. And they still have to live there; they don't want to have to worry about every cop on the street coming after them. If you'd go straight to the FBI you're probably not the kind of person that a cop would pull this with in the first place.
Ah, well, that's probably true and something I neglected; abusers are uncanny in their ability to detect victims and those who would not complain to the point that the cop is endangered in any way.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:40 AM   #18
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm absolutely shocked. Shocked!
Your winnings, sir.

Depends on who you are, though. Prostitutes are, as far as I understand, hesitant to contact authorities when they are abused because they are (in many places) engaged in illegal work.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 10:10 AM   #19
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I've seen body cam footage of cops shooting people, with impunity. I've seen CCTV footage from within police stations of cops abusing people, with impunity. In almost all the cases I've seen, no action was taken.

I'm sure a little sexual assualt or rape will offer no problem to any serving officer, body cam or not.

They view those of us outside their institution as less than human.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 01:00 PM   #20
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Your winnings, sir.
Fanks!

Quote:
Depends on who you are, though. Prostitutes are, as far as I understand, hesitant to contact authorities when they are abused because they are (in many places) engaged in illegal work.
Again, very true. It's rare, but every once in a while I do honestly forget that I've spent years reading and researching and etc. laws, ethics, court rulings and on and on and very few others have had the opportunity or desire to do so. Also, my personal journey went from my once almost-veneration of cops and wanting nothing more in the world than becoming one to very heavy skepticism of police as well as a general sense of mistrust and suspicion which also informs my approach to these kinds of situations.
Old 15th January 2018, 01:09 PM   #21
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Not to digress too far, but this is another argument for legalizing and regulating prostitution. In a place where prostitution is legal, if a pimp or a john abuses a hooker, she's free to go straight to the cops and get help, just like anybody else, and the cops don't have that "you're a criminal too" thing to hang over her head.
Old 15th January 2018, 02:16 PM   #22
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Absolutely- prostitutes, run-aways, substance abusers/abused, etc. Or people who the cops think belong to one or more of these categories. A cop is not going to rape someone if there might be repercussions, such as attacking someone who might have influence or be in a position to seek justice.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 10:58 PM   #23
This is The End

First of all, you might be surprised to know just how dismissive your post sounds.

Secondly, you cannot compare it to any of those other areas of society. None of them are responsible for protecting people from crime.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:05 PM   #24
This is The End

Police officers should receive a far greater punishment for any and all crimes than a normal citizen. Unfortunately in America the opposite happens.

If enforcing that requires greater compensation for being a police officer then so be it. Take a tiny fraction of a percent from the yearly defense budget and subsidize the states. We do that for tons of stuff. (I bring this up because the excuse is always that it would make less people want to be a police officer.)
Old 15th January 2018, 11:09 PM   #25
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Police officers should receive a far greater punishment for any and all crimes than a normal citizen. Unfortunately in America the opposite happens.

If enforcing that requires greater compensation for being a police officer then so be it. Take a tiny fraction of a percent from the yearly defense budget and subsidize the states. We do that for tons of stuff. (I bring this up because the excuse is always that it would make less people want to be a police officer.)
That excuse is easily debunked as I'm sure you're aware. I get that you want to try and get rid of any convenient excuse cops will use to fight against more accountability and supervision, but in the end, it doesn't matter what reason they come up with. The whole goal is to avoid oversight.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:21 PM   #26
This is The End

Yes.

It is a profession that is so very ripe for corruption and abuse that independent oversight (and very persuasive penalties) absolutely must be built into the system at the roots.

Of course that is the last thing they want.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:47 PM   #27
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I've seen body cam footage of cops shooting people, with impunity. I've seen CCTV footage from within police stations of cops abusing people, with impunity. In almost all the cases I've seen, no action was taken.

I'm sure a little sexual assualt or rape will offer no problem to any serving officer, body cam or not.

They view those of us outside their institution as less than human.
Sex assault and rape will be hard to explain away for obvious reasons. Hint: cops carry guns and other weapons and are trained in basic fighting.

I'm not sure any cop has ever been warned about the possibility of raping someone in order to protect themselves or others. Don't pull it out unless you need it!
Old 16th January 2018, 01:47 AM   #28
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Sex assault and rape will be hard to explain away for obvious reasons. Hint: cops carry guns and other weapons and are trained in basic fighting.

I'm not sure any cop has ever been warned about the possibility of raping someone in order to protect themselves or others. Don't pull it out unless you need it!
You have completely and utterly missed the point.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 12:49 PM   #29
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

I embiggen and enredden for emphasis!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events