ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th September 2018, 12:43 PM   #2441
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
They say they fired her because she "engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for Manslaughter." That means she was fired simply for being arrested even though she may be innocent and is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
I don't see why that means she was fired for being arrested. It cites "adverse conduct when she was arrested." Something took place when she was arrested, something inappropriate enough to get her fired.

ETA: I did not see anything in the CNN article linked to that indicates the adverse conduct was the arrest itself. Could have missed it, I'm not keeping up.

Last edited by Minoosh; 27th September 2018 at 12:49 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 12:52 PM   #2442
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

She didn't do anything improper during her arrest. The adverse conduct was getting arrested for manslaughter.

https://www.theroot.com/amber-guyger...ean-1829278424

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 12:56 PM   #2443
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't see why that means she was fired for being arrested. It cites "adverse conduct when she was arrested." Something took place when she was arrested, something inappropriate enough to get her fired.

ETA: I did not see anything in the CNN article linked to that indicates the adverse conduct was the arrest itself. Could have missed it, I'm not keeping up.
My first thought was refusing a drug test. Police departments often require an officer to take a drug test whenever one is requested/ordered. Refusing to take it would be grounds for disciplinary action, and the union may not be able to do anything about it.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 12:58 PM   #2444
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

You mean a second drug test? She'd already submitted to one at the time of the murder.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 01:11 PM   #2445
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I would not be surprised if the awkward wording of the reason for her dismissal was a poor attempt at mirroring some language from their union contract.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 01:12 PM   #2446
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You mean a second drug test? She'd already submitted to one at the time of the murder.
Maybe. Like I said, it was my first thought, and there's probably something to the fact that I didn't mention it days ago.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 04:27 PM   #2447
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I would not be surprised if the awkward wording of the reason for her dismissal was a poor attempt at mirroring some language from their union contract.
I think you're on the right track. I bet the union contract doesn't protect officers accused of "adverse conduct" committed while not on-duty, and the whole reason for this hearing and finding was to frame the case in those terms for the record.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 05:00 AM   #2448
Drewbot
Philosopher

Dallas, Black Cop shoots black guy, gets a mistrial.

Can't go back to work unless he gets found not-guilty.

He was fired as well.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...-ends-mistrial

Quote:
Afterward, Wiley said he thought Jones might be a burglar, and the former officer testified this week that he feared for his life when he shot Jones.
I think this guy and Guyger are going to claim similar defenses, including:

Quote:
Prosecutors argued that Wiley didn't reasonably believe that Jones could've been armed.

But Lowthorp said officers have to make a split-second decision.

"You can't wait until the gun's out and the trigger is being pulled because you won't go home at the end of the evening," she said.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:24 AM   #2449
Drewbot
Philosopher

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ality-11193232

Editorial about an editorial

Quote:
But maybe not. The same jury might weigh all of the facts and testimony, all of the arguments and the law, and come to the conclusion that Botham Jean’s death was an awful and heart-rending accident. Period.

Think about what that would mean. If Jean’s death was an accident, not a murder, then think what a very serious mistake it would be to put it on the same map with the 1910 lynching of Allen Brooks in downtown Dallas or the 1973 murder — ruled murder by a jury — of 12-year-old Santos Rodriguez by a white Dallas cop. The gravity and significance of those terrible racist murders would be ill-served by lumping them together with a death that isn’t of the same order, that doesn’t fit the moral or legal pattern.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:35 AM   #2450
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I had same line of thought that her she defending her actions with an almost by a script "I did X, the person I shot did Y, I did X, the person who I shot did Y" routine not realizing how insane that sounding describing events that weren't a police officer interacting with suspect.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:54 AM   #2451
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think it was more of a Caving-under-pressure type of move. So does the head of the Dallas Police Association.

https://newsone.com/3828342/dallas-p...-michael-mata/

Quote:
According to Dallas News, Michael Mata, president of the Dallas Police Association, said on Monday that he was “perturbed” by Guyger being fired and called the decision “short-sightedness and short cuts.” He also said, “Four days ago, she said she couldn’t fire her because of the investigation, and now, four days, later you can? Just be honest with the public. There is a process in place that not only affords an officer due process but allows the department to have security if and when an officer attempts to get their job back.”
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:08 PM   #2452
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
Michael Mata, president of the Dallas Police Association, said on Monday that he was “perturbed” by Guyger being fired
Well I'm "perturbed" by the dead, unarmed, not a threat black man in his own home who the officer had no right to be in so... suck it up.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:03 PM   #2453
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well I'm "perturbed" by the dead, unarmed, not a threat black man in his own home who the officer had no right to be in so... suck it up.
Exactly. At best she has shown that she is a danger if she's under stress and carrying a firearm. If she is not convicted of negligent homicide at the least, then it is a pretty meaningless term.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:35 AM   #2454
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm sure he is as well, but there is a process the DPD is supposed to follow, and his perturbance at the deviation from the process, has no relation to how perturbed someone is about the death of the victim.
Old 18th October 2018, 05:23 AM   #2455
Drewbot
Philosopher

Dallas Police Chief consults with victim's family on whether to send case to Grand Jury.

Quote:
"We're trying to make sure justice is done," Johnson said. "I said, 'Mom do you want us to stop and go to the grand jury?' And she said 'no, keep going.'"
DPD looks to be the focus of the law suit. Says victim's family attorney:
Quote:
"A lot of the focus has been on Amber Guyger," Washington said. "There's not enough focus on the Dallas Police Department."
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...er-killing-son
Old 18th October 2018, 04:02 PM   #2456
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The family is unhappy because Trump hasn't said anything about the killing or condemned it or whatever.

Originally Posted by Fort Worth Star-Telegram
“It rejuices the pain, but at least we know that we have a lot of people behind us,” Allison Jean said. “What we would like to see is great attention to this case by top government officials in the United States. We have heard nothing from Washington, D.C., and it really gives a feeling that some people just don’t care about lives.”...
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...220162465.html
Old 18th October 2018, 04:06 PM   #2457
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The family is unhappy because Trump hasn't said anything about the killing or condemned it or whatever.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...220162465.html
..."rejuices"...??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 04:32 PM   #2458
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
..."rejuices"...??
Maybe that's an expression in St. Lucia where they are from.
Old 18th October 2018, 07:38 PM   #2459
Bob001
Philosopher

It's more likely that she said "reduces" and it's a transcription error that nobody caught. If you've ever read transcripts of events that you've actually attended, the number of small errors is surprising.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 08:42 PM   #2460
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's more likely that she said "reduces" and it's a transcription error that nobody caught. If you've ever read transcripts of events that you've actually attended, the number of small errors is surprising.
I don't think that "reduces" works in the context of what she is saying...

Originally Posted by Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Botham Shem Jean’s killing has drawn international attention. His parents — Allison and Bertrum Jean — said on Wednesday that they’ve received support and condolences from citizens across the U.S. and countries around the world.

“It rejuices the pain, but at least we know that we have a lot of people behind us,” Allison Jean said. “What we would like to see is great attention to this case by top government officials in the United States. We have heard nothing from Washington, D.C., and it really gives a feeling that some people just don’t care about lives.”
The phrase "but at least" is used to counter something mentioned right before it. A reduction in pain is good and ought not be countered by anything. It makes me think that "rejuice" is some form of pain spiking or pain reoccurring.

I think she is saying something like, "When we get support and sympathy from all sorts of people it causes our emotional pain to show itself over again - but then at least we do know that lots of people are supporting us."
Old 19th October 2018, 12:13 AM   #2461
Aber
Graduate Poster

Disagree, it's more like there's an unspoken phrase, and an imprecisely used "but" as effectively punctuation.

“It rejuices reduces the pain, [which of course is still there] but at least we know that we have a lot of people behind us,”

Last edited by Aber; 19th October 2018 at 12:15 AM.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 07:03 AM   #2462
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Do you recall being the first person to suggest that in a room where there had been a cop and a civilian shooting victim, that a police ballistic vest present there was going to be the victim's property?

Old 19th October 2018, 07:21 AM   #2463
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

I'm guessing no .. on google the only place the phrase exits is in this thread and the article in question.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 07:40 AM   #2464
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Gotta be reduces...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 08:11 AM   #2465
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they have a lot of piglets on St Lucia...
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 08:57 AM   #2466
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

I want to be surprised and disappointed that the reflection on the family's statement revolves around a peculiar phrasing and/or transcript mistake.

I want to be, but I'm not.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 10:05 AM   #2467
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I want to be surprised and disappointed that the reflection on the family's statement revolves around a peculiar phrasing and/or transcript mistake.

I want to be, but I'm not.
Would you rather we examine the childishness of complaining that the president doesn't care about me?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 11:02 AM   #2468
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe they have a lot of piglets on St Lucia...
My god, I had no idea we could rejuice the piglets. The implications are bewildering.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 11:05 AM   #2469
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Would you rather we examine the childishness of complaining that the president doesn't care about me?
I agree that commenting on the childishness of the president has enough coverage elsewhere on this forum.

Old 19th October 2018, 11:24 AM   #2470
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"He really juiced the pain in my open wound when he sprinkled some salt on it. Then 10 minutes later he rejuiced the pain by sprinkling more salt on the wound."

One of the definitions of juice as a verb is to "liven something up".

Old 19th October 2018, 12:53 PM   #2471
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Wanting the government to take note of your loved one's sudden, violent death at the hands of a government agent is "childish."

Got it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 01:08 PM   #2472
autumn1971
Master Poster

Wanting the government to take note of your loved one's sudden, violent death at the hands of a government agent is "childish."

Got it.
But black families keep complaining about it over and over in disproportionate and often unarmed numbers.

It’s exhausting for all the white folk.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 02:37 PM   #2473
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

By "top government officials", they almost certainly mean the Justice Department, which (before the current administration began dropping all such cases) formerly looked into and took local law enforcement agencies to task for civil rights violations.

I'm pretty sure they'd rather not hear from Trump about the killing. Or about anything else, most likely.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 11:40 AM   #2474
CoulsdonUK
Graduate Poster

A general question; what is the trigger for a grand jury to be convened or do wait until the police or in this case the Texas Rangers complete their investigation?
CoulsdonUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 11:53 AM   #2475
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Texas Rangers have already charged her with manslaughter and the case was referred to a grand jury over a month ago, though I don't know whether they actively taken it up yet.

Old 21st October 2018, 03:38 PM   #2476
CoulsdonUK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Texas Rangers have already charged her with manslaughter and the case was referred to a grand jury over a month ago, though I don't know whether they actively taken it up yet.
I don’t understand the process, if she has been charged what is the purpose of a grand jury? Does a full trial take place regardless of the findings of a grand jury? Is it the grand jury or the District Attorney that decides whether a case goes to a full trial
CoulsdonUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 03:47 PM   #2477
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CoulsdonUK View Post
I don’t understand the process, if she has been charged what is the purpose of a grand jury?
The function of a grand jury is to accuse the person who may be guilty of an offence.

Originally Posted by CoulsdonUK View Post
a full trial take place regardless of the findings of a grand jury? Is it the grand jury or the District Attorney that decides whether a case goes to a full trial

If the (up to 23 member) grand jury find the accusation true, the foreman of the grand jury declares so in writing in public court and a trial can proceed at a later date.

If the indictment is not proven to the satisfaction of the grand jury, the foreman declares so in writing in public court, and the accusation is dismissed, as being unfounded.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 03:52 PM   #2478
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

The function of a grand jury is to be something for the prosecutor to claim the decision to pursue the case or not was out of their hands.
Old 21st October 2018, 03:59 PM   #2479
CoulsdonUK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
The function of a grand jury is to accuse the person who may be guilty of an offence.

If the (up to 23 member) grand jury find the accusation true, the foreman of the grand jury declares so in writing in public court and a trial can proceed at a later date.

If the indictment is not proven to the satisfaction of the grand jury, the foreman declares so in writing in public court, and the accusation is dismissed, as being unfounded.
Thanks for the explanation, so if the grand jury finds the case is not proven charges are dropped and there is no trial, right? I assume grand juries do not appear in open court, does a judge preside or gives legal guidance?
Old 21st October 2018, 04:01 PM   #2480
CoulsdonUK
Graduate Poster

The function of a grand jury is to be something for the prosecutor to claim the decision to pursue the case or not was out of their hands.
Is any evidence presented to a grand jury?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events