ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th October 2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Joecool
Master Poster

Woman Accuses 9 Year Old Boy Of Sexual Assault

In light of the recent SCOTUS hearings, this is interesting. During the hearing, it was said that women should be believed without question. This story is an example of why some level of scrutiny is necessary. That's not to say a victim should not be shown compassion, however.

Quote:
A woman who called the police on a 9-year-old boy accusing him of sexual assault has earned the nickname, “Cornerstore Caroline.”

On Wednesday, Facebook user Jason Stovetop Littlejohn shared a video of the ensuing argument, reportedly outside the Sahara Deli in Flatbush, N.Y. “Meet Cornerstore Caroline. White Woman calls police on a kid, saying he sexually assaulted her,” he wrote. “As I walked up I noticed the argument, apparently, the kid brushed up against her and she said he touched her and decided to call police on a nine-year-old child. As you can see the kid is crying and the mom is upset.”
“I want the cops here right now,” the woman, identified by the New York Post as Teresa Sue Klein of Flatbush, in Brooklyn, says to the 911 operator. “The son grabbed my a**” She also offers to “submit the security tapes for evidence.”

The boy and, presumably, his sister cry and wail in fear while standing next to their mother, as a crowd gathers in defense of the family. “I was just sexually assaulted by a child,” yells the woman to the angry crowd, according to Heavy.

“Are you seriously calling the police?” says a female passerby. “Go away. What is your problem? I’m calling you out.”

Klein responds, “I am a police officer. No, white lady, I will not [go away].” According to Heavy, she was quoting the boy’s mother, who allegedly identified herself as a cop.

Littlejohn did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment. On Friday, Pix11 journalist Andrew Ramos tweeted a surveillance video from the store, depicting the boy walking by the woman unaware of her presence, with both his hands in plain view. His oversize backpack appears to have made contact with the woman, who becomes visibly upset. After exchanging heated words with the boy’s mother, she whips out her phone and starts dialing.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/corn...182833690.html

Edited by Loss Leader:  Picture size edited. Please use IMGW=500 for large pictures.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 12th October 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
In light of the recent SCOTUS hearings, this is interesting.
No.
Old 12th October 2018, 06:09 PM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She might not have an ass. If that's true then any charges would have been dropped anyway.
Old 12th October 2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

According to the article, the store owner said the woman had a history of being "unwell." In fact, when the reporter tried to interview the woman, she called the cops on him.

Obviously no charges were filed against the child. Police responded when a crowd gathered but nobody was charged with anything.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 06:32 PM   #5
phunk
Illuminator

https://twitter.com/AndrewRamosTV/st...72606017146880

She's nuts.

/thread
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 06:37 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
She's nuts.

/thread
That could be the end of any thread about a racism incident.
Old 12th October 2018, 09:48 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Can you imagine if that security footage wasn't there?
Old 12th October 2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Find an example of a false accusation and we cast doubt on all.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:51 PM   #9
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Where does "Cornerstone Caroline" come from?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 11:08 PM   #10
Lambchops
Muse

This thread is a failed abortion.

You see that fetus on the table missing limbs and half its brain, screaming "please kill me"?

That fetus is this thread.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:55 PM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In light of the recent SCOTUS hearings, this is interesting. During the hearing, it was said that women should be believed without question. This story is an example of why some level of scrutiny is necessary. That's not to say a victim should not be shown compassion, however.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/corn...182833690.html

Edited by Loss Leader:  Picture size edited. Please use IMGW=500 for large pictures.
Wouldn't this be a better example of the behaviour of someone who is unwell? Perhaps useful for training those that may have to in the course of their job deal with people who are unwell?
Old 13th October 2018, 12:45 AM   #12
Lambchops
Muse

Let's make fun of the mentaly ill.

In the name of God Emperor Trump.

Last edited by Lambchops; 13th October 2018 at 12:47 AM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 01:48 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

I wasn't making fun of her, I was quite serious as this is a real example of someone who is unwell, and I always think real examples are very useful as a learning tool.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:02 AM   #14
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Lol. No. Lets hold people accountable for the ******** they spew and the ******** they do. If she has a mental illness, particularly one that causes her to make claims that could ruin innocent peoples lives, it needs to be highlighted and she needs to get help. Sexual assault is obscene, ruining someones life by falsely alleging assault or other misconduct is obscene. Both need to be stamped out as much as possible. You cannot do that by ignoring one and jumping all over the other.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 03:03 AM   #15
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
What do you believe would have happened if it hadn't been? The incident seems to have been resolved without it since the description of what it showed is in a post script.

So far as I can see it was an unfortunate incident where this unlucky child and his family got caught up in a stranger's mental health issues, which someone happened to film and post to social media. If it's worth discussing at all it isn't in the context of #metoo (or the racial aspect that the original poster of the video seemed to be emphisising) rather it should be in the context of mental health care provision.

I hope his mother can rise above the situation and explain to him and his sister that he did nothing wrong, and that the woman wasn't really attacking him personally, but was unwell and needs help.
Old 13th October 2018, 04:27 AM   #16
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

And it could have just as easily gone another way. Sick or not, it wouldn't be the first time a set of loons jumped in with her as their cause and strung the accused up with no trial, you can't possibly be this obtuse.
Old 13th October 2018, 04:45 AM   #17
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Lol. No. Lets hold people accountable for the ******** they spew and the ******** they do. If she has a mental illness, particularly one that causes her to make claims that could ruin innocent peoples lives, it needs to be highlighted and she needs to get help. Sexual assault is obscene, ruining someones life by falsely alleging assault or other misconduct is obscene. Both need to be stamped out as much as possible. You cannot do that by ignoring one and jumping all over the other.
Agree 100%

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 08:35 AM   #18
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Gotta be honest, never occurred to me that someone would defend this fraudster... the video clearly shows that she got bumped, said something to the kid, the mother must have said something, the grifter used the "keep talking" hand gesture, and the argument escalated from there.

although the suggestion that Andrew Ramos and Shaun King publicized this "In the name of God Emperor Trump" is absolutely hilarious!
Old 13th October 2018, 08:38 AM   #19
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
She might not have an ass. If that's true then any charges would have been dropped anyway.
I have a feeling she is one.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:48 AM   #20
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

The file must be wrong then.

Unless you want to call all rape victims liars.
Old 13th October 2018, 10:06 AM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It may not have made it to the news at all if the video wasn't there.

I also wonder what would have happened if the boy was white. Or if the woman was black.
Old 13th October 2018, 10:35 AM   #22
deadrose
Master Poster

Shades of Emmett Till.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 10:57 AM   #23
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
What do you believe would have happened if it hadn't been? The incident seems to have been resolved without it since the description of what it showed is in a post script.

So far as I can see it was an unfortunate incident where this unlucky child and his family got caught up in a stranger's mental health issues, which someone happened to film and post to social media. If it's worth discussing at all it isn't in the context of #metoo (or the racial aspect that the original poster of the video seemed to be emphisising) rather it should be in the context of mental health care provision.

I hope his mother can rise above the situation and explain to him and his sister that he did nothing wrong, and that the woman wasn't really attacking him personally, but was unwell and needs help.
I too agree; this looks like a complex incident, but looks as if it's been solved rather simply. I hope the woman gets help if she does have mental issues.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 11:27 AM   #24
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Where does "Cornerstone Caroline" come from?

Quote:
One onlooker can be heard in the video dubbing her “Cornerstone Caroline,” a reference to the alliterative nicknames other white women have received for calling the cops on totally innocent black people.“Barbecue Becky,” for example, called the cops on a family that was grilling food in a public park’s designated grilling zone. “Permit Patty” called the cops on an 8-year-old for “illegally selling water without a permit.”
From thinkprogress.org
Old 13th October 2018, 11:34 AM   #25
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Cornerstore Caroline

not Cornerstone...
Old 13th October 2018, 01:41 PM   #26
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Cornerstore Caroline

not Cornerstone...
That makes a lot more sense.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 02:03 PM   #27
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Shades of Emmett Till.
Lol!

Yeah, no.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:08 PM   #28
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....s-to-kids/amp/

"The self-described unemployed “feminist and a humanist” variously insisted she was groped in the bodega....I’m also a Buddhist....“I’ve been called racist before, and I’m not.”
Old 13th October 2018, 02:17 PM   #29
Checkmite

Quote:
“People moved out of the building because of her. She’s terrorizing the building,” said Hazel Freeman, 52, a pastor who lives above Klein. “She would call me up and tell me my son is smoking weed in the hallway. He’s married and he lives in Canarsie.”
Yep I've known those kinds of neighbors.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 07:40 PM   #30
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Whoever said "women should be believed without question"?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 09:52 PM   #31
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Gotta be honest, never occurred to me that someone would defend this fraudster... the video clearly shows that she got bumped, said something to the kid, the mother must have said something, the grifter used the "keep talking" hand gesture, and the argument escalated from there.

although the suggestion that Andrew Ramos and Shaun King publicized this "In the name of God Emperor Trump" is absolutely hilarious!
I'm not defending her.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th October 2018 at 10:56 AM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 09:55 PM   #32
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I wasn't making fun of her, I was quite serious as this is a real example of someone who is unwell, and I always think real examples are very useful as a learning tool.
That post of mine was not directed at you.
Old 13th October 2018, 11:58 PM   #33
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

And it could have just as easily gone another way. Sick or not, it wouldn't be the first time a set of loons jumped in with her as their cause and strung the accused up with no trial, you can't possibly be this obtuse.

Well I guess I'm obtuse. Because I see an incident that was highly unlikely to have ever gathered a lynch mob video evidence or not.
Old 14th October 2018, 12:51 AM   #34
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Well I guess I'm obtuse. Because I see an incident that was highly unlikely to have ever gathered a lynch mob video evidence or not.
This time.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 04:44 AM   #35
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm with you, but. ..

I believe if there was no video there would be a hearty amount of folks saying "it may have been an over reaction but, just because the kid was nine. ...." in an attempt to sound more sjw than the next guy. It would have been several pages of people avoiding saying the kid should be punished while saying the kid should be punished lest they sound like they don't believe her.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 07:45 AM   #36
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

When you have to concoct imaginary scenarios to bolster your point of view, maybe it’s time to reconsider your point of view.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 08:13 AM   #37
Information Analyst
Philosopher

"His oversize backpack appears to have made contact with the woman, who becomes visibly upset."
Best jail the pervert backpack, then.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 09:17 AM   #38
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not defending her.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12
Irony!

Anyway, lets take a look at your post!

"Let's make fun of the mentaly ill."

Hmm, you diagnose her as mentally ill, based on nothing and sarcastically accuse people of "making fun of" her. But "not defending" is your claim, hmmm, seems like you are indeed defending her. But perhaps people with your "mental capacity" can bring forth an explanation that does not depend on attacks?

"In the name of God Emperor Trump." Oh dear, as I pointed out not only is this absurd, it is next level TDS. Fantastic.

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th October 2018 at 10:56 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 09:27 AM   #39
paiute
Graduate Poster

I knew a guy once who liked to wear handcuffs, so that whole slavery thing must have been overblown.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 09:55 AM   #40
Checkmite

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I believe if there was no video there would be a hearty amount of folks saying "it may have been an over reaction but, just because the kid was nine. ...." in an attempt to sound more sjw than the next guy. It would have been several pages of people avoiding saying the kid should be punished while saying the kid should be punished lest they sound like they don't believe her.
Yeah I'm pretty confident that you're completely wrong about that; in fact I suspect nobody would've defended the accusation, with the exception perhaps of our resident trolls who reflexively take stances against victims of "daily-living while black" incidents.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events