ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th October 2018, 02:05 AM   #81
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Incidentally, I saw a very informative Twitter thread yesterday. Apparently Paddington and Soho have also been designated as no-go areas.
I'll have to remember that, the next time we meet friends at G-A-Y Bar....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 02:15 AM   #82
Greebo
Thinker

Incidentally, I saw a very informative Twitter thread yesterday. Apparently Paddington and Soho have also been designated as no-go areas.
That's odd. I went to London at the weekend. There were police around Paddington station and around Soho too. Also visited my sister in Stoke Newington saw a couple of coppers there. Didn't get glassed, knifed, had acid thrown at me or anything.
A pleasant weekend all in all.
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 02:30 AM   #83
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
So you're telling me there aren't any elephants in the castle?
Alas no. Though Bunratty has a petting zoo.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 02:35 AM   #84
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
That's odd. I went to London at the weekend. There were police around Paddington station and around Soho too. Also visited my sister in Stoke Newington saw a couple of coppers there. Didn't get glassed, knifed, had acid thrown at me or anything.
A pleasant weekend all in all.
Typical - notice you don't deny you had your new born child ripped from your hands by a muslim riding a moped juggling acid whilst making a call on his mobile!
Old 16th October 2018, 02:56 AM   #85
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Going into the multicultural hellhole of the centre of Lewisham later today for Miss Analyst Junior's Tuesday swimming session. On the way I need to pop into Specsavers to get some frames replaced, and as it's near a halal butchers, I'll be sure to be have her chained into the buggy, and a pickaxe handle underneath. Anyone in a thawb and/or taqiyah comes close, I'll be sure to do his legs, just to be on the safe side.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 03:18 AM   #86
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Meanwhile, in other news:

BBC News: Hate crimes - Rise in offences linked to religious beliefs

"There has been a surge in hate crime directed at people because of their religious beliefs, new figures show.

Police in England and Wales say there has been an increase of 40% compared with last year's figures.

Most religious hate crime - 52% of all offences - was aimed at Muslims."

Which, considering Muslims make up less than 5% of the population, is quite impressive for Baylor's fellow travellers.

Official Statistics: Hate crime, England and Wales, 2017 to 2018

Table B1: Number and proportion of religious hate crimes recorded by the police1, by the perceived targeted religion, 2017/18

Numbers and percentages - England and Wales, recorded crime
Perceived religion of the victimNumber of offences%
Buddhist190
Christian2645
Hindu581
Jewish67212
Muslim2,96552
Sikh1172
Other3115
No religion2374
Unknown1,17421
Total number of targeted religions5,817 
Total number of offences5,680 
Old 16th October 2018, 03:46 AM   #87
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Well Paddington is no go because of the bears.
Old 16th October 2018, 03:52 AM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Soho a no-go area? Bloody hell even when it was the centre of vice in London frequented by the good and bad it wasn't a no-go area and these days I've heard it is a very bright, cheerful, merry and happy area..
Old 16th October 2018, 03:57 AM   #89
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

As a bonus, marmalade sandwiches are readily available.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 04:23 AM   #90
Lothian
should be banned

Who is baylor that he has generated a multi page thread on bollocks? Which part of a laughing dog smiley failed to deal with his argument?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 04:25 AM   #91
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Who is baylor that he has generated a multi page thread on bollocks? Which part of a laughing dog smiley failed to deal with his argument?
Hey man don't you go and get all heavy on us, we've been having fun.
Old 16th October 2018, 04:34 AM   #92
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Hey man don't you go and get all heavy on us, we've been having fun.
Sorry. I am Leyton arriving to the thread. I see it has been Poplar and I Bow to your judgement. I now see that Baylor is Barking and MikeG is an Angel for starting the thread and I should Clapham both. I will go join the naughty Kew.

Last edited by Lothian; 16th October 2018 at 04:36 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 04:49 AM   #93
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Sorry. I am Leyton arriving to the thread. I see it has been Poplar and I Bow to your judgement. I now see that Baylor is Barking and MikeG is an Angel for starting the thread and I should Clapham both. I will go join the naughty Kew.
Your place-name skills should Turnham Green.
Old 16th October 2018, 05:03 AM   #94
Drewbot
Philosopher

If someone would like to finance a trip for me to London, I will go to all of those areas and report back. 2 weeks should be enough time.

IM Me if you want to sponsor a report, make sure you allow for me to eat reasonably well each day, and 4 star hotel minimum, there are direct flights from Detroit, and I already have a passport. kthx.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 05:05 AM   #95
Camillus
Critical Thinker

I have horrible feeling this thread is going to veer into a double nobbler to Westminster followed by an argument about whether we are using the Euston byline or the Paddington international (rev. 2014) rules.
Old 16th October 2018, 05:07 AM   #96
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Soho? one of the entertainment capitals of the world and centre of film and TV production is a no go area?

Has anyone told them?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 05:28 AM   #97
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Soho? one of the entertainment capitals of the world and centre of film and TV production is a no go area?

Has anyone told them?

Rather a lot of people told them. I would link to it, but for some reason they’ve deleted the tweet.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 05:30 AM   #98
catsmate
No longer the 1

Soho a no-go area? Bloody hell even when it was the centre of vice in London frequented by the good and bad it wasn't a no-go area and these days I've heard it is a very bright, cheerful, merry and happy area..
I think Microsoft still have an office there,.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 05:44 AM   #99
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Rather a lot of people told them. I would link to it, but for some reason they’ve deleted the tweet.
Presumably because they were told how ludicrous it is.

Soho is slap bang in the middle of central London. As Capt Swoop says, by day it's a TV and media hub, and by evening into the early hours it is teeming with thousands enjoying the nightlife, including on Old Compton Street, the centre of London's gay village. It borders the theatre district and Chinatown, both of which are invariably packed with visitors, day and night.

I would love to know how this constitutes a "no-go zone."
Old 16th October 2018, 06:15 AM   #100
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Soho is slap bang in the middle of central London. As Capt Swoop says, by day it's a TV and media hub, and by evening into the early hours it is teeming with thousands enjoying the nightlife, including on Old Compton Street, the centre of London's gay village. It borders the theatre district and Chinatown, both of which are invariably packed with visitors, day and night.

I would love to know how this constitutes a "no-go zone."
Well, if you are are an antisocial, homophobic racist which I assume many of the people taking this map seriously are.......
Old 16th October 2018, 06:39 AM   #101
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I think Microsoft still have an office there,.
When I was working in the West End they had one in the same building as us on New Oxford Street on the north edge of Soho and they certainly have offices at Paddington in Little Venice.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 07:38 AM   #102
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

There's a person in another forum complaining about Muslims blocking roads for prayer and railing about how cops never do anything.
Do see a few newsposts about similar problems in France in Britain. Any current news on how this is being handled? Dudes got his pearls clutched hard, so I was wondering what you limies of the more reasonable sort think.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 07:49 AM   #103
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Camillus View Post
I have horrible feeling this thread is going to veer into a double nobbler to Westminster followed by an argument about whether we are using the Euston byline or the Paddington international (rev. 2014) rules.
Damn, beaten by a Mornington Ninja!
Old 16th October 2018, 07:52 AM   #104
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
There's a person in another forum complaining about Muslims blocking roads for prayer and railing about how cops never do anything.
Do see a few newsposts about similar problems in France in Britain. Any current news on how this is being handled? Dudes got his pearls clutched hard, so I was wondering what you limies of the more reasonable sort think.
Well yes sometimes roads do get blocked when people attend religious events, like they do in a morning and afternoon for the school run!
Old 16th October 2018, 07:56 AM   #105
fagin
Philosopher

Looks like it was more of a protest than anything else. And not an ongoing issue.

"Worshippers began praying on the roads in March to protest the closure of a local mosque which was turned into a library."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8064591.html

Never really heard of a similar thing in the UK.

ps. Limey should be capitalised, silly yank.
Old 16th October 2018, 07:59 AM   #106
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

Well yes sometimes roads do get blocked when people attend religious events, like they do in a morning and afternoon for the school run!
I realize it's a thing I do that seems to make people believe I'm supporting a point I'm trying to argue against, so I want to get this clear.
I can see that if Muslims can stop in the road to pray that can be a major hassle or annoyance, especially if interrupting traffic is against the law, as this person states.
Since I don't want this to show up on Google, I'll gladly send the thread in question via pm to somebody so they have a clearer view. I realize it's a pointless internet debate, but I am curios.

Looking up the area it seems they did host a couple of major celebrations, so I'd expect they had a permit.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 08:02 AM   #107
fagin
Philosopher

All Darat is saying is that roads might get messy, with parked cars and such, not that they are praying in the streets.
Old 16th October 2018, 08:04 AM   #108
Mojo
Mostly harmless

A few roads blocked? They regularly close down the entire public transport system for religious festivities.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 08:19 AM   #109
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Looks like it was more of a protest than anything else. And not an ongoing issue.

"Worshippers began praying on the roads in March to protest the closure of a local mosque which was turned into a library."
Blocking roads in protest of something trivial?
Nothing could be more French!
Proof that these Muslims are perfectly integrated into French society
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 09:00 AM   #110
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

How such lies get started:

"A Christian Nation cannot put up a Christmas scene of the baby Jesus in a public place, but the Muslims can stop normal traffic every Friday afternoon by worshiping in the streets [of NY]… Something is happening in America that is reminiscent of what is happening in Europe . This is Political Correctness gone crazy…"

The reality:

"The photos were taken in New York City but this is not a weekly event. Once a year the Muslim Foundation of America organizes a Muslim Day Parade event that includes a gathering of Muslims at the corner of Madison Ave and 41st Street for Zahur prayer."

This has been an annual event since 1985 and the 25th annual event is slated for September 26, 2010."

And the annual event is ongoing.

So, maybe not totally unlike St Patrick's Day, or something.
Old 16th October 2018, 09:06 AM   #111
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Them Mooslems have taken over everywhere... look at this...

https://www.meccabingo.com
Old 16th October 2018, 09:12 AM   #112
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

An individual Muslim doing it? Would get moved on by police if they were aware of it but they would have to get to him first by which time he may well be done. im not aware of this being a common happening.

groups doing it? it would be treated like any other public gathering. they would need approval from local authorities or the police would take appropriate action.

of course im from a country where grown men dress in orange sashes and match through the streets with flutes and drums to remind everyone how much they hate catholics so i find it hard to be bothered by a few isolated events of Muslims causing any disruption
Old 16th October 2018, 09:20 AM   #113
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Soho?? Gee, I'm hoping these fake accusations of no-go areas will at least drop the unbelievable real estate prices in many of these areas a little! Then if I can only increase my income by 5 fold I might be able to buy in.

In thinking about it, I begin to suspect that the rumors were initiated by certain real estate investors intentionally for that purpose, knowing that they would be passed on and amplified by ignorant anti-Muslim right wingers. Plausible.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 11:25 AM   #114
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Camillus View Post
I'll play the Quatermass gambit.

Hop along to Hobbs End.

ETA
Now that is a real no go zone!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 11:28 AM   #115
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, that's not an elephant, that's a hippopotamus

[OffTopic]
Once took German friends for a visit to the KNP. In one of the curio shops they had a variety of animal statues, carved from stone, in a glass display counter. The one old guy totally confused the poor woman behind the counter when he asked if he could take a closer look at the rhinopotamus.
She would point randomly at one and he'd go No, the rhinopotamus, untill she picked the right one. It was a rhinoceros. He was quite embarrassed.
[/OffTopic]
Old 16th October 2018, 12:00 PM   #116
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Even Deadpool learnt not to mess with Paddington:

(Warning, contains swearing.)

https://twitter.com/paddingtonbear/s...055169?lang=en
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 12:05 PM   #117
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I now see that Baylor is Barking .
Dagenham, at least.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 12:14 PM   #118
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I can see that if Muslims can stop in the road to pray that can be a major hassle or annoyance, especially if interrupting traffic is against the law, as this person states.

[snip]

Looking up the area it seems they did host a couple of major celebrations, so I'd expect they had a permit.
Regardless of whether it is or isn't, doing so is a pretty traditional form of protest here.
Old 16th October 2018, 12:15 PM   #119
Information Analyst
Philosopher

A few roads blocked? They regularly close down the entire public transport system for religious festivities.
Really? Not heard of that here.
Old 16th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #120
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I'll play the Quatermass gambit.

Hop along to Hobbs End.

ETA
Now that is a real no go zone!
Depends which version. Knightsbridge or W10?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events