ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2019, 05:56 PM   #1521
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

After how many years, you're still helping end users adjust to OS upgrades? Move on out, man. Move on up.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 05:57 PM   #1522
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
After how many years, you're still helping end users adjust to OS upgrades? Move on out, man. Move on up.
I haven't heard back yet about the interview. My fingers are so crossed they're practically braided.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:01 PM   #1523
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
This is the genesis of many "This new version of [insert name of OS, program, etc. here] really sucks." complaints.
Truth, right there.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:16 PM   #1524
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"My computer looks different."
"Yes I know. Your PC was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10."
"But it looks all different!"
"Well.. yes. It's a new OS. All your files, folders, and programs are still there."
"BUT IT LOOKS DIFFERENT!"
"Yes... I know... it's... a.... new... operating... system. It still works the same, it just looks different."
"But now I don't know it works."
"It still works the same, it just looks different."
"Where's my start menu?"
"The exact same place it was before, it's just square instead of round."
"Okay clicking on it... OH LORDY LORDY MERCY ME THIS ALL LOOKS SO DIFFERENT!"

*Repeat for every single step of every single process of every single task, repeated for every single users.*
My response goes along these lines:

Me: Do you own a car?

Them: Yes, it's a Zaphorets MS123! Nice car.

Me: Did you own a car before that one?

Them: Sure, a Zil SM321.

Me: Did it have the steering wheel in a different place? Pedals in a different order? Dashboard on the roof?

Them: .....no. Still basically the same place, still work the same. Why do you ask?

Me: So you got a newer car that looks a bit different but drives the same way. And you had no trouble with that adjustment. Which is much like what you have on your PC now.

Them: *penny drops* Oh....
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:23 PM   #1525
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Nice analogy.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th November 2019, 08:21 PM   #1526
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"My computer looks different."
"Yes I know. Your PC was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10."
"But it looks all different!"
"Well.. yes. It's a new OS. All your files, folders, and programs are still there."
"BUT IT LOOKS DIFFERENT!"
"Yes... I know... it's... a.... new... operating... system. It still works the same, it just looks different."
"But now I don't know it works."
"It still works the same, it just looks different."
"Where's my start menu?"
"The exact same place it was before, it's just square instead of round."
"Okay clicking on it... OH LORDY LORDY MERCY ME THIS ALL LOOKS SO DIFFERENT!"

*Repeat for every single step of every single process of every single task, repeated for every single users.*
Someone is channeling my brain. I just "upgraded" to a new Win 10 computer mostly because my Win 7 machine was g e t t i n g r e a l l y s l o w. The first thing I Googled was "How to make your Windows 10 computer look like Windows 7". Amusingly enough, my 7 machine has seen the writing on the wall and decided to speed up!
Old 15th November 2019, 12:15 AM   #1527
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Someone is channeling my brain. I just "upgraded" to a new Win 10 computer mostly because my Win 7 machine was g e t t i n g r e a l l y s l o w. The first thing I Googled was "How to make your Windows 10 computer look like Windows 7". Amusingly enough, my 7 machine has seen the writing on the wall and decided to speed up!
My Windows 10 computer is running like a charm.

I put Linux on it
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 05:15 PM   #1528
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
My Windows 10 computer is running like a charm.

I put Linux on it

My Win 10 machines have always run just fine.

But if you think the people complaining about switching from Win7 to 8 or 10 have been bitching a lot, just imagine if they had had to switch to Linux.

The ones with the background, knowledge, and experience to switch to Linux with equanimity are, for the most part, not the ones who have been complaining about Windows upgrades.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 07:12 PM   #1529
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

But if you think the people complaining about switching from Win7 to 8 or 10 have been bitching a lot, just imagine if they had had to switch to Linux.

The ones with the background, knowledge, and experience to switch to Linux with equanimity are, for the most part, not the ones who have been complaining about Windows upgrades.
Don't hit me with a Linux stick. In 1982 I managed the conversion of a geographical mapping system from UNIX Version 7 to UNIX System III (don't even ask!). And, simultaneously, from a DEC PDP-11/45 to a Perkin-Elmer 3220. And from 16-bit to 32-bit hardware.

The best OS of all time is, of course, OS/2. I'll let you know when Microsoft eventually catches up.

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 15th November 2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Just remembered it was an 11/45 not an 11/20 ;)
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 08:20 PM   #1530
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Don't hit me with a Linux stick. In 1982 I managed the conversion of a geographical mapping system from UNIX Version 7 to UNIX System III (don't even ask!). And, simultaneously, from a DEC PDP-11/45 to a Perkin-Elmer 3220. And from 16-bit to 32-bit hardware.

The best OS of all time is, of course, OS/2. I'll let you know when Microsoft eventually catches up.

It isn't anything I have against any of the *IXs or *Uxs. I had MINIX running on my first 8088 PC clone, just to see it happen. That was on a two floppy drive system before I could afford a hard drive.

All I was pointing out is that for the average user who bitches about the complexities of upgrading their Win OS, the switch to Linux stuff isn't going to be much better for them.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 04:10 AM   #1531
Wudang
BOFH

I have an os/2 iso somewhere and a laptop sitting idle. Hmmm
Old 16th November 2019, 04:47 AM   #1532
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Exactly. I've dabbled with Linux for 25 years or so (and UNIX variants for longer). It's only fairly recently that distros have emerged that you could give to a computer novice to use with the same confidence as a Windows release. Linux developers like working on things like the kernel and compilers, they don't seem to like producing a robust graphical interface that a non-expert can use, and a system that doesn't need active management to keep it up-to-date, and without log files filling up, etc.

It was bad enough sometimes supporting Linux-based servers, with users that were supposed to be technically competent, it would have been a nightmare with end users on a Linux desktop.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 07:30 AM   #1533
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't anything I have against any of the *IXs or *Uxs. I had MINIX running on my first 8088 PC clone, just to see it happen. That was on a two floppy drive system before I could afford a hard drive.

All I was pointing out is that for the average user who bitches about the complexities of upgrading their Win OS, the switch to Linux stuff isn't going to be much better for them.
I didn't really think your post was directed at me.

I just wanted to establish I had a modicum of right to complain.

At one point in history Microsoft was very heavily in to UNIX via a variant called XENIX. I used this on what, ISTR was a 286-based PC-AT for a project for a client where we evaluated Ethernet against Token Ring.

Old 16th November 2019, 07:33 AM   #1534
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Exactly. I've dabbled with Linux for 25 years or so (and UNIX variants for longer). It's only fairly recently that distros have emerged that you could give to a computer novice to use with the same confidence as a Windows release. Linux developers like working on things like the kernel and compilers, they don't seem to like producing a robust graphical interface that a non-expert can use, and a system that doesn't need active management to keep it up-to-date, and without log files filling up, etc.

It was bad enough sometimes supporting Linux-based servers, with users that were supposed to be technically competent, it would have been a nightmare with end users on a Linux desktop.
One of the biggest problems herding Unix programmers is that they all want to modify everything all the time. Trying to get a stable system requires a huge whip.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:41 AM   #1535
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I have an os/2 iso somewhere and a laptop sitting idle. Hmmm
Would you believe that OS/2 "development" continues? As much as possible with a user base measured I would guess in the hundreds and no access to the base code as a result of the unresolved feud between IBM and Microsoft.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcaOS
Old 16th November 2019, 09:59 AM   #1536
Wudang
BOFH

Would you believe that OS/2 "development" continues? As much as possible with a user base measured I would guess in the hundreds and no access to the base code as a result of the unresolved feud between IBM and Microsoft.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcaOS
Interesting. Brad Wardell wanted to get IBM to allow him to maintain a consumer version of OS/2 but IBM claimed they couldn't generate a part number. Odd considering how IBM Greenock generated part nos for PCs they built out of whatever was lying around the plant.
Old 16th November 2019, 01:04 PM   #1537
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

For sure. However, novices on Windows systems, if they're not really familiar with computers or who refuse to learn, are just as lost on a Windows system as they would be with KDE or Gnome.

I find KDE to to be very decent. Sometimes I think Gnome would be very useful for novices because it seems to be the epitome of "perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

There's also the adage, "The only intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything else is learned."

Log files filling up can be a problem. Fortunately distributions these days usually have well-defined logrotate configurations for their packages.

Quote:
Incompetent users are the bane of all support people, regardless of the operating system they're using. I dare suspect if the entirety of the user interface was one button labelled ON and another OFF, some users would find a way to screw it up. And others would have a fit if the arrangement switched from vertical to horizontal during a update.

One of the biggest problems herding Unix programmers is that they all want to modify everything all the time. Trying to get a stable system requires a huge whip.
Yeah, Linux programmers as a whole tend to have a bad case of OS/NIH (that is, "Oh, shiny!" and "Not invented here.") One interesting thing about Windows is how much of its core functionality originated with XP and has carried on since. The user interface has changed, at times dramatically. For example, Microsoft is moving away from the Control Panel in favour of Settings.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 04:32 AM   #1538
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Just helped a local store with a problem with an old Nexus 7 table. They use it for scanning and stock checking. It was seemingly not charging and wouldn't power on. I remembered reading about thisp bug years ago, quick search on Google for a solution literally "nexus 7 won't power on". Second, expanded link had the solution so didn't even need to go to the website itself.

Tried it and the Nexus started up.

Then she said "can you write that down", I said just type it into Google, 'oh I can never follow that I'm not (Joe have you had your blood pressure tablet and tranquilizer..) a technical person".

The solution was literally to press and hold the power and volume down until a menu appears, let go and then press the power button again.

Because I am such a nice person I started to write this down... and I kid you not I got "What's the power button?"

What is astonishing is that she then got her iphone out, took a picture of what I'd written down, then shared that picture via her WhatsApp group and posted a picture on I assume the store's Instagram of the working tablet....
Old 18th November 2019, 05:05 PM   #1539
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Who's got two thumbs and an interview?

- Randall Munroe
Old 18th November 2019, 06:41 PM   #1540
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Louis the Vampire.
Old 18th November 2019, 08:45 PM   #1541
Wudang
BOFH

A yakuza enforcer being debriefed?
Old 18th November 2019, 08:57 PM   #1542
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is that IT people's fault? There's a never-ending supply of OS upgrades.

Tell us about what you do if you want to really brag instead of humble-brag.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:22 AM   #1543
erlando
Graduate Poster

Congratulations! Go get'em.
Old 19th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #1544
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Then she said "can you write that down", I said just type it into Google, 'oh I can never follow that I'm not (Joe have you had your blood pressure tablet and tranquilizer..) a technical person".

When I gave computer instructions to my mother, she had to write down "hold Ctrl to select multiple things".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 10:35 AM   #1545
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Customer: Can you make this change right away?
Me: Sorry - code freeze for the holidays, come back in January.

Customer #2: Really need this change, please
Me: Sorry - code freeze for the holidays, come back in January.

My Entire Team: Yay, we can finally get stuff DONE!
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 02:14 PM   #1546
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Omfg.

Us: "When you send us the list of ten thousand codes could you please put it in Excel? Then we can just copy/paste into the code."
Them: "Sure thing!"

They sent an Excel spreadsheet. Inside was a single JPEG screenshot of ten thousand plus codes.
Old 21st November 2019, 02:18 PM   #1547
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Omfg.

Us: "When you send us the list of ten thousand codes could you please put it in Excel? Then we can just copy/paste into the code."

They sent an Excel spreadsheet. Inside was a single JPEG screenshot of ten thousand plus codes.
I feel so evil for laughing so hard at this.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 02:23 PM   #1548
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Computing is a text-based medium. Yes, there are some end-users of some applications who just need pictures, but that's not us. It never ceases to amaze and depress me that a software developer will send a screenshot of job logs, instead of copying and pasting the logs.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 02:39 PM   #1549
erlando
Graduate Poster

Omfg.

You should have shotguns for that kind of deal.
Old 21st November 2019, 02:43 PM   #1550
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I feel so evil for laughing so hard at this.
I shared with friends. We all laughed.
Old 21st November 2019, 03:09 PM   #1551
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Oh, it's even worse than I thought. The original data? Was in an Excel spreadsheet. She scrolled through it, taking screenshots as she went, pasting them into another Excel spreadsheet. It wasn't just one big JPEG like I thought, it's dozens. She carefully lined them up when she pasted them. For neatness.
Old 21st November 2019, 03:15 PM   #1552
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Omfg.

Had that done to us once but it was a Word doc.

Sent a reply with: (1) message: cannot decode attachment (2) jpeg of page ininstruction booklet for how to do windows text cut-and-paste...as an AVI.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 05:06 PM   #1553
Wudang
BOFH

Old 22nd November 2019, 01:04 AM   #1554
erlando
Graduate Poster

Oh, it's even worse than I thought. The original data? Was in an Excel spreadsheet. She scrolled through it, taking screenshots as she went, pasting them into another Excel spreadsheet. It wasn't just one big JPEG like I thought, it's dozens. She carefully lined them up when she pasted them. For neatness.
Think of all the time she spent on lining them up.

People like that should be shot. Or at least educated as to what constitutes usable data transfers.
Old 22nd November 2019, 02:37 AM   #1555
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I had a few of those in my time. Screenshots in Word documents, so you couldnít easily resize them to read the tiny text. Data that was a simple text file on the original computer that was cut and pasted into a Word document in sections, losing formatting (tabs, spaces, new lines, etc.) which was important.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 02:53 AM   #1556
Wudang
BOFH

I had a few of those in my time. Screenshots in Word documents, so you couldnít easily resize them to read the tiny text. Data that was a simple text file on the original computer that was cut and pasted into a Word document in sections, losing formatting (tabs, spaces, new lines, etc.) which was important.
Screenshots with a san-serif font that made it impossible to differentiate between lower-case l (L) and upper case i etc where either were possible: eg error codes. Data pasted into excel and being mangled as a date format or scientific notation etc. Oh yes.
Old 22nd November 2019, 04:19 AM   #1557
Dabop
Muse

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 22nd November 2019 at 04:23 AM.
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:57 AM   #1558
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Whew! All fixed. Turns out the perp wasn't as stupid as I thought, the source spreadsheet was Excel "protected" so she couldn't copy/paste. I just wish she'd mentioned that before she spent a day doing screenshots. Excel "protection" is useless. Exported as text, imported into new Excel file. Great protection, there, Microsoft.

Another method to crack protection is to export/import PDF into Adobe then export as Excel. Or change the .xlsx extension to .zip to get to the xml and edit the protection tag out. Half-ass security makes extra work but doesn't actually protect anything.
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:00 AM   #1559
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Whew! All fixed. Turns out the perp wasn't as stupid as I thought, the source spreadsheet was Excel "protected" so she couldn't copy/paste. I just wish she'd mentioned that before she spent a day doing screenshots. Excel "protection" is useless. Exported as text, imported into new Excel file. Great protection, there, Microsoft.

Another method to crack protection is to export/import PDF into Adobe then export as Excel. Or change the .xlsx extension to .zip to get to the xml and edit the protection tag out. Half-ass security makes extra work but doesn't actually protect anything.
My understanding is that the "protection" is really only meant to keep low level users from screwing up someone else's hard work. More like a sneeze guard at the salad bar than a locked safe.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:17 AM   #1560
Armitage72
Illuminator

The pain I have at work is certification bodies that send documentation as secured PDFs, so I have to print them and then scan them to create a new PDF so I can add the file properties that our IT department requires prior to upload to the company intranet. I used to use a freeware PDF unlocker, but it would produce blank pages with some PDFs. I understand that they don't want people creating fraudulent certificates from their PDFs, but it's still annoying.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet