ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 12th November 2019, 07:55 PM   #2761
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Nobel peace prize

Failed to front up enough to get it.

Disappointing performance
Naaah! Only presidents of the USA care about that one.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:57 PM   #2762
Steve
Philosopher

It is not like it is one sided

Version 1 - Men afraid of 16 year old girl!
Version 2 - People think Greta is a Saint!
Version 1 - has much evidence in this thread
Version 2 - does not
Old 12th November 2019, 08:02 PM   #2763
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Version 1 - has much evidence in this thread
Version 2 - does not
Yeah ok

Lol

Version 1 is people refusing to even slightly question the methods of her (or her overseers)

Version 2 is people over inflating what Version 1 does

In between there are links that support either
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:29 AM   #2764
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Quote:
Thunberg asked for help getting to Spain on social media, and said she got only a few responses because of the time of year.
I guess that clears that up.

Quote:
“My message to the Americans is the same as to everyone – that is to unite behind the science and to act on the science,” Thunberg told the Guardian on Tuesday.

“We must realize this is a crisis, and we must do what we can now to spread awareness about this and to put pressure on the people in power. And especially, the US has an election coming up soon, and it’s very important that for everyone who can vote, vote.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-message-vote
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:31 AM   #2765
Stout
Illuminator

And there we have it. From the article above.

Originally Posted by Greta writes.
“Nothing is being done to stop the climate and ecological emergency from happening and to secure the future wellbeing for future generations,” she said.
Nothing.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:55 AM   #2766
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
You're always welcome to join my social group At least don't call her Killary anymore, please, arth.
Can I join? Seems like fun
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:57 AM   #2767
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Everybody needs to vote? That's hardly a brave new insight. In fact, I'd guess that pretty much everyone in the English-speaking world has already gotten this message loud and clear. Voting is not an occult knowledge. It's not "that one trick the government doesn't want you to know". Though, I do wonder how many of the VIPs and others attending COP25 would rather voters didn't get to decide these things.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 09:09 AM   #2768
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, I think she received dozens of offers of assistance, and evaluated them carefully to find which would be the best fit for her purposes. She probably started getting offers immediately after it became clear that she would need to return to Europe.

I mean, if I owned an ocean-going sailing vessel I'd probably have offered her a lift too.
Think about that for a moment. If you owned an ocean-going sailing vessel? Think about the surplus wealth you'd need to have on hand, to be able to afford a luxury item like an ocean-going sailing vessel. Where did you get all that extra money?

If you owned an ocean-going sailing vessel. Do you not know a PR scheme when you see it? One-percenters loaning their pleasure barges to Greta Thunberg because she doesn't want to fly. And you fantasize about being one of them. You virtue signal even in your fantasies.

Instead of fantasizing about loaning Greta your luxury yacht, why not buy some carbon offsets? Unlike an ocean-going sailing vessel, you could probably afford to offset the emissions of a flight from New York to Madrid. You could buy the offsets, and donate them to Greta. Even if she doesn't use them, you've still done a good thing for the world.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 09:11 AM   #2769
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Can I join? Seems like fun

Sure, it's public.

But there isn't more than you can already see. We recently used that old joke group to test some forum features.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:14 AM   #2770
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Think about that for a moment. If you owned an ocean-going sailing vessel? Think about the surplus wealth you'd need to have on hand, to be able to afford a luxury item like an ocean-going sailing vessel. Where did you get all that extra money?

It looks like they financed the vessel with the youtube-money they earned while filming their journeys with the previous one. Imagine the energy their million followers have wasted to watch all those videos!
Old 13th November 2019, 09:48 AM   #2771
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like they financed the vessel with the youtube-money they earned while filming their journeys with the previous one. Imagine the energy their million followers have wasted to watch all those videos! ; )
To be fair, I don't have as much objection to a working vessel that generates wealth and pays its own way. And I generally don't begrudge people spending energy on entertainment. Humans need more than mere food and shelter to thrive. A lot of the debate right now is about how much more.

On the other hand, they're bound to get a lot more viewers from this. Greta's selection of their offer is money in the bank for them.
Old 13th November 2019, 10:09 AM   #2772
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

To be fair, I don't have as much objection to a working vessel that generates wealth and pays its own way. And I generally don't begrudge people spending energy on entertainment. Humans need more than mere food and shelter to thrive. A lot of the debate right now is about how much more.

On the other hand, they're bound to get a lot more viewers from this. Greta's selection of their offer is money in the bank for them.

I agree (hence the smiley). Making youtube-money that pays for a living is not an easy thing to do and entirely fine. Needs good instincts and stamina.
Old 13th November 2019, 10:22 AM   #2773
caveman1917
Philosopher

I agree (hence the smiley). Making youtube-money that pays for a living is not an easy thing to do and entirely fine. Needs good instincts and stamina.
Youtube money is really advertisement money, an "anti-consumerist" movement/cult/... financed by the advertising industry. I wonder what ads get shown on their videos.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #2774
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It also sends a weird message. Is this how environmentally-conscious people should travel? It's not very scalable. Nobody else going to COP25 is traveling this way, I bet. Should they? Maybe that's the message Greta is bringing to Madrid.
Old 13th November 2019, 02:37 PM   #2775
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Correction: Ridicule and dismiss the absurd celebration of Greta as "brave" and "important".

Are you actually going to defend the premise that the COP25 VIPs need to hear Greta's message in person? Or just browbeat me for questioning that premise?

How many VIPs attending summits really need to hear whatever is going to be said "in person"?

Is this a metric you apply to all of them, or only to children you are intent on ridiculing for whatever desperate reasons you can concoct?

Using your logic there probably isn't any meeting of VIPs anywhere that really needs to be attended in person. The UN meetings are a waste of time, as are any NATO meetings, or for that matter, any government legislatures. They could all be replaced with video conferencing. Think of the time and money to be saved.

You may be on to something here. Just get rid of the whole idea of meetings to begin with. Good thinking.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:43 PM   #2776
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
<snip>

Sanders can go either way; however your statement about Hillary clashes violently with my experience. She is almost always referred to as "Hillary", and only rarely as "Clinton".

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I tend to take the idea of preferred nomenclature on a somewhat case by case basis, viewing the selected names in context.

But as far as Hillary is concerned, I have to admit, perhaps as a consequence of advancing decrepitude, that when the name "Clinton" is used without a certain amount of lead-in context I can have a moment of uncertainty, ensuring I know which Clinton is being referred to.

This isn't as much of a problem when they just say "Hillary".

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:45 PM   #2777
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Oh dear.

If the Australian pair elect to take a plane home from Spain a week after the sailboat arrives, we simply cannot allow Thunberg to get away with such blatant hypocrisy.

Since it's their boat and they live on it, this probably isn't going to be as much of an issue.

Old 13th November 2019, 04:25 PM   #2778
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I wonder what ads get shown on their videos.

Well give it a try by watching their stuff, but don't forget to turn off the adblocker. Maybe there's a site tracking who advertises on which channel? This one has their income at relatively moderate values (with a huge uncertainty factor) and has recorded no peak since Greta announced to set her holy little feet on their boat:

https://socialblade.com/youtube/chan...jIzFnWsDQOv4ww
Old 13th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #2779
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I tend to take the idea of preferred nomenclature on a somewhat case by case basis, viewing the selected names in context.

But as far as Hillary is concerned, I have to admit, perhaps as a consequence of advancing decrepitude, that when the name "Clinton" is used without a certain amount of lead-in context I can have a moment of uncertainty, ensuring I know which Clinton is being referred to.

This isn't as much of a problem when they just say "Hillary".
Color me old fashioned, but I have such deep respect for the system we espouse that I always refer to the person with their proper title at first mention, then abbreviated afterwards.

Secretary Clinton. President Trump. Governor Romney. Senator McCain. Representative Ocasio-Cortez (sp?). Then use Agent Orange or Killary or whatever you please.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:43 PM   #2780
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's my opinion that if there is an appropriate place for name-calling at all, it is school playgrounds, not for discussions of real issues between adults.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:00 PM   #2781
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's my opinion that if there is an appropriate place for name-calling at all, it is school playgrounds, not for discussions of real issues between adults.
This thread seems to be driven mainly by disagreement over whether "Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?" is a real issue.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:05 PM   #2782
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This thread seems to be driven mainly by disagreement over whether "Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?" is a real issue.
Okay. Not entirely sure why that's a response to what I said, but okay.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:11 PM   #2783
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Okay. Not entirely sure why that's a response to what I said, but okay.
Just bringing us back around to the topic. If it's not a real issue, then taking the piss with epithets like "Miss Thung" isn't such a grave sin, and need spark no special outrage.

Last edited by theprestige; 13th November 2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:13 PM   #2784
Steve
Philosopher

I think there is general agreement that she is neither of those things. At least there is very little discussion around that. The discussion seems mainly driven by those who make up things that she may do in the future to criticize her for vs those who support her efforts while accepting that she is less than perfect.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:19 PM   #2785
Steve
Philosopher

Justin bringing us back around to the topic. If it's not a real issue, then taking the piss with epithets like "Miss Thung" isn't such a grave sin, and need spark no special outrage.
No it is not a grave thing. Stupid and immature for sure, and a typical comment from those who are fresh out of rational criticisms, but certainly not grave.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:16 PM   #2786
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Justin bringing us back around to the topic. If it's not a real issue, then taking the piss with epithets like "Miss Thung" isn't such a grave sin, and need spark no special outrage.
Sure, if you're okay with looking like an immature child.

I do not apologise for this. As someone who was continually bullied and called names throughout my school years, I take issue with purported adults doing it to others, no matter who they are.

- Randall Munroe
Old 13th November 2019, 06:28 PM   #2787
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No it is not a grave thing. Stupid and immature for sure, and a typical comment from those who are fresh out of rational criticisms, but certainly not grave.
Wow. That seems like a really hateful reaction, way out of proportion to the offense.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:51 PM   #2788
Steve
Philosopher

Wow. That seems like a really hateful reaction, way out of proportion to the offense.
No hate, just honesty. Can you justify “Thung” as mature, or rational, or as a comment that does anything other than “take the piss” as you have already claimed? If I was to express hatred these mild comments wouldn’t come close. I cannot hate stupidity but I sure do pity it.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:52 PM   #2789
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You really think name-calling is trivial?

- Randall Munroe
Old 13th November 2019, 07:10 PM   #2790
Max_mang
Critical Thinker

You really think name-calling is trivial?
I think the thought process is this:

If I call someone a bad name, it's ok.

I someone else calls that same person a bad name, that's ok too.

If someone calls me a bad name or says it about someone I agree with, that's hateful and out of proportion to the offense.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:19 PM   #2791
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

It certainly shows the general immaturity, stupidity, and intellectual and ethical bankruptcy of her detractors. Not that that wasn't painfully evident in their general body of work already.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:54 PM   #2792
Stout
Illuminator

It looks like they financed the vessel with the youtube-money they earned while filming their journeys with the previous one. Imagine the energy their million followers have wasted to watch all those videos!
They're still on the hook for the new boat. They took out a loan from the yacht manufacturer the details of which weren't revealed. This whole thing seems way out of character for them. I skipped through a bunch of their videos and they're al the "WOO HOO LOOK AT US !" living the life of riley cruising around the tropics.

There's nothing that I saw about cold weather. There's going to be six people on that boat for up to a month, including a baby. This trip is totally hardcore and I'm just guessing here that they need the publicity to up their Patreon contributions.

More power to them if they can make a living doing this and it will be interesting to see whether they upload any of those super slick videos WRT this trip.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 05:14 PM   #2793
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
They're still on the hook for the new boat. They took out a loan from the yacht manufacturer the details of which weren't revealed. This whole thing seems way out of character for them. I skipped through a bunch of their videos and they're al the "WOO HOO LOOK AT US !" living the life of riley cruising around the tropics.

Yeah, and that's proven to be a recipe for successful shows in most visual media.

Quote:

There's nothing that I saw about cold weather. There's going to be six people on that boat for up to a month, including a baby. This trip is totally hardcore and I'm just guessing here that they need the publicity to up their Patreon contributions.

"That boat" has four separate berths in the two hulls (unless they got the layout with three berths and an office) and a large cabin between them. Six people (and a baby) isn't much of a crowd. That's without hotbunking.

The Outremer 45 is a comfortable and well-appointed blue water cruiser with plenty of elbow room and sheltered space. I don't think they're going to suffer much.

If I had the bucks it would be high on my list of the boat to buy and live aboard.

Quote:

More power to them if they can make a living doing this and it will be interesting to see whether they upload any of those super slick videos WRT this trip.

Apparently they make around $10,000 per episode just from subscribed patrons alone. They aren't going to make the Forbes list anytime soon like that, but they probably aren't going broke, either.

Old 14th November 2019, 05:40 PM   #2794
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

They have a tracker on their website now, but I have different problems with different browsers to get the full functionality, and can't find them with the usual trackers (with a small amount of effort, if you can find them please add):

https://sailing-lavagabonde.com/

Seems like they are into deep waters already.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:25 PM   #2795
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yeah, and that's proven to be a recipe for successful shows in most visual media.
Yea, I suppose so. it depends what you're looking for. Were I seriously considering doing what these guys are doing, I wouldn't waste my time with them. Maybe if I were more interested in an Instagram type lifestyle, I'd pay them more attention.

I'd also buy one of those boats in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to put six people on it though. Well maybe for a week in the tropics but it's going to get pretty crowded down below in the winter.

She'll have plenty of time to reflect on he experiences now that she;s been out in the world and noticed that even her most ardent supporters aren't willing to give up even a drop of their oil fueled lifestyle.

I hope she can keep this whole Climate Buddha thing going and doesn't "sell out". I hope she can keep walking the talk, unlike many before her.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #2796
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh, I think she's going to be more than a flash-in-the-pan. She's already catalysed real change.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th November 2019, 07:10 PM   #2797
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
<snip>

I'd also buy one of those boats in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to put six people on it though. Well maybe for a week in the tropics but it's going to get pretty crowded down below in the winter.

<snip>

Not really. Certainly not by sailboat standards.

Four separate staterooms in the hulls and a cabin topside with almost as much square footage as a lot of city style "efficiency" apartments.

I don't expect it will be all that much of an ordeal. Possibly even enjoyable.

Old 14th November 2019, 10:12 PM   #2798
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh, I think she's going to be more than a flash-in-the-pan. She's already catalysed real change.
Name some.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 10:36 PM   #2799
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Name some.
There's been examples posted all through this thread. You just choose not to see them.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th November 2019, 11:12 PM   #2800
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There's been examples posted all through this thread. You just choose not to see them.
If you are going for school stirke days that were pointless, and more people catching trains in a European country, you are onto a bit of a loser argument.

Carbon offsetting on plane tickets was around long before Greta was around.

I don't see less people fixated with carbon emitting computers and mobiles.

Even Greta can't handle that one.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events