ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 14th November 2019, 12:32 PM   #1001
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

@RepRatcliffe asked the two “star” witnesses, “where is the impeachable event in that call?” Both stared straight ahead with a blank look on their face, remained silent, & were unable to answer the question. That would be the end of a case run by normal people! - but not Shifty!
That is an outright lie. Here is the video of that exchange. Taylor tried to respond 3 seconds after being asked the question by Ratcliffe. He was then interrupted by Ratcliffe every time he tried to answer. Ratcliffe then withdrew the question in an effort to stop Taylor. When Schiff said Taylor had been asked a question and did he want answer it, Ratcliffe again tried to stop Taylor. It was clear that Ratcliffe did not want Taylor to answer the question. He was grandstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLcRA6BLSw
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 12:35 PM   #1002
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That is an outright lie.
That's what I thought when I read it, but will Trump's base even bother to watch the procedings, since they're a witch hunt?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 12:35 PM   #1003
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
NPR regularly interviews folks going to political rallies, and of course Trump’s.

One lady (from Louisiana) said, “I like the vulgarity. I’m kind of vulgar myself!”

This returns to the sentiment expressed in previous elections, The candidate is “Just like us.”

Of Dubya... “He seems like a nice guy. The kind of guy you could sit down and have a beer with.”
Of Palin... “She’s a MOM. She’s just like us.”

And so on. Why folks would use such criteria to vote for “The leader of the free world” is perhaps a mystery, but there it is. “Is the candidate likeable” seems to be a huge factor for many, transcending qualifications.
After reading that, I think she just as well might have said "I like stupidity. I'm kind of stupid myself!"

Unbelievable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 12:52 PM   #1004
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's what I thought when I read it, but will Trump's base even bother to watch the procedings, since they're a witch hunt?
I doubt most of them will watch it. But they'll read Trump's tweets and believe those. They'll watch FOX and believe that.
Old 14th November 2019, 12:53 PM   #1005
autumn1971
Illuminator

After reading that, I think she just as well might have said "I like stupidity. I'm kind of stupid myself!"

Unbelievable.
Ever been to Louisiana?

It’s the state motto
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 12:54 PM   #1006
Belz...
Fiend God

I doubt most of them will watch it. But they'll read Trump's tweets and believe those. They'll watch FOX and believe that.
That was my point.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 01:48 PM   #1007
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wow! Was just told that my son’s book, “Triggered,” is Number One on The New York Times Bestseller List. Congratulations Don!
The Fake News NYT bestseller list?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:14 PM   #1008
Stacyhs
Philosopher

That was my point.
With which I was agreeing.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:14 PM   #1009
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

GOd, I hope the President of the US not "just like me". I want somebody a lot smarter then I am in that job.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:16 PM   #1010
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Bill Clinton managed to be folksy without being a total idiot and without being vulger. Just saying.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:26 PM   #1011
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Ever been to Louisiana?

It’s the state motto
I have relatives in Floribama, my dad's folks (my dad had no contact with, or even knew about, his paternal side) . I talked to them once after discovering them. All I can say is, I'm soooooooo glad he was raised by his mother in Montana and that he took after her side! Let me put it this way: ever watch the "Home" episode of The X Files?

Quote:
Mulder and Scully are drafted in to investigate when local children find the aforementioned baby in a hick town called Mayberry. They ask the local sheriff (Tucker Smallwood) about the family that lives in the dilapidated house nearby and he gravely intones: “[The Peacock family] grow their own food, they raise their own pigs, they breed their own cows, raise and breed their own stock, if you get my meaning”.

the Peacock family is a deeply inbred clan of violent murderers, with one brother having fathered the other two. With whom? His own mother, who has sex with all three siblings because, like, there isn’t much to do in Mayberry. The brothers are deformed but Ma Peacock is much more disfigured, her limbless body secreted in a cart beneath a bed like a dirty magazine.

Read more at https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/...eWOV79CJx6G.99
Old 14th November 2019, 02:27 PM   #1012
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Erdogan and Trump had a Moive Night together, featuring anti-Kurdish propaganda:

https://www.axios.com/erdogan-turkey...5a43114bd.html

Man, imagine what it would be like if these ******** pushed back against ******** being pushed by the American president.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:28 PM   #1013
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
GOd, I hope the President of the US not "just like me". I want somebody a lot smarter then I am in that job.
That's always been my view. Trouble is, most people think they are smarter than they are.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:38 PM   #1014
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

ever watch the "Home" episode of The X Files?
Wife and I were day one x-files fans. Watched every week when they originally ran. When we first got netflix we started to indoctrinate our kids. Without even batting an eye or asking my wife I just skipped that episode. I looked over and wife just nodded.

The kids have grown up and still watch old episodes of the X-files. One finally said "thanks for skipping that episode when we were kids".

I saw it when it was released and will never watch it again.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:39 PM   #1015
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The Fake News NYT bestseller list?

It's CNN and MSNBC that are Fake News. The NYT is The "Failing" New York Times. Get your facts straight!!!
Old 14th November 2019, 02:45 PM   #1016
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sorry to tell you this. But you're one hell of a lot smarter than the President.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:48 PM   #1017
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That is an outright lie. Here is the video of that exchange. Taylor tried to respond 3 seconds after being asked the question by Ratcliffe. He was then interrupted by Ratcliffe every time he tried to answer. Ratcliffe then withdrew the question in an effort to stop Taylor. When Schiff said Taylor had been asked a question and did he want answer it, Ratcliffe again tried to stop Taylor. It was clear that Ratcliffe did not want Taylor to answer the question. He was grandstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLcRA6BLSw
A congressman "grandstanding"? Say it isn't so.
Old 14th November 2019, 04:00 PM   #1018
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Sorry to tell you this. But you're one hell of a lot smarter than the President.
My pet goldfish exceeds that threshhold too. Plus it is also shiny orange!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #1019
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
My pet goldfish exceeds that threshhold too. Plus it is also shiny orange!
I'm sure dudalb is smarter than your pet goldfish as well but we won't tell Goldy that.

On another note, I see it's official. Trump's Kentucky Governor just threw in the towel and conceded the race.
Old 14th November 2019, 04:35 PM   #1020
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Wife and I were day one x-files fans. Watched every week when they originally ran. When we first got netflix we started to indoctrinate our kids. Without even batting an eye or asking my wife I just skipped that episode. I looked over and wife just nodded.

The kids have grown up and still watch old episodes of the X-files. One finally said "thanks for skipping that episode when we were kids".

I saw it when it was released and will never watch it again.
Good decision!
Old 14th November 2019, 06:10 PM   #1021
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Don't you just love how Trump has evolved on releasing his taxes. First he's going to do it if he runs. Then it's if he's nominated. Then he can't because he's being audited. Followed by over my dead body, I'll take it to the Supreme Court.

And yet according to him, he's the most transparent President in history. This of course is after he stopped giving the press access to the White House visitor log and prevented most of his administration from cooperating with Congress.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:23 PM   #1022
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Don't you just love how Trump has evolved on releasing his taxes. First he's going to do it if he runs. Then it's if he's nominated. Then he can't because he's being audited. Followed by over my dead body, I'll take it to the Supreme Court.

And yet according to him, he's the most transparent President in history. This of course is after he stopped giving the press access to the White House visitor log and prevented most of his administration from cooperating with Congress.
He's certainly the most transparently corrupt and liar-ey president in the western world.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:37 PM   #1023
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
And then there's the complete misjudgement of the person and their character. Do they really want to sit down with the millionaire scion of a New England Brahmin ?
Sorry, Trump is a scion of a New England Brahmin?

I thought he was a Queens native and son of a German American slumlord immortalized in a never-recorded Woody Guthrie song. None of that suggests New England Brahmin.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:38 PM   #1024
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

This is the age of virtual facts.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:41 PM   #1025
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh goodie more "Pelosi Shade."

Try doing that when Ginsburg dies and Trump walks all over you to put Ivanka on the Supreme Court and you can't do **** about it because right now the Democrats level of actual useful political power falls somewhere between the Boy Scouts and the Shriners.
What's your point?

She's not throwing shade in lieu of trying to toss the bum out. She's doing so in addition to trying to toss the bum out. (He won't be removed, but perhaps some voters will be swayed. Perhaps not.)

I don't understand your point at all. Pelosi's little joke doesn't mean the Dems have won, but who thought it did?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 07:02 PM   #1026
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure dudalb is smarter than your pet goldfish as well but we won't tell Goldy that.

On another note, I see it's official. Trump's Kentucky Governor just threw in the towel and conceded the race.
But that governor was 14, I mean 30, I mean 74, I mean A HUNDRED AND FORTY-TWO points behind in the polls before Trump supported him.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:07 PM   #1027
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

Wow! Was just told that my son’s book, “Triggered,” is Number One on The New York Times Bestseller List. Congratulations Don!
Because Right wing groups like GOPAC, the GOP itself, state-level GOP groups, etc. made bulk purchases? I can't see junioir as being that popular nor do I think the Trump base is an especially literary group.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 07:36 PM   #1028
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Erdogan and Trump had a Moive Night together, featuring anti-Kurdish propaganda:

https://www.axios.com/erdogan-turkey...5a43114bd.html
Of course Trump did. There is a Trump Tower in Istanbul. Trump has to lay down and spread his legs for Erdogan regardless of the impact on the United States because he has commercial interests there. The Trump nits who grew into lice must be having a time stepping over the bodies of our Kurdish allies after the thing that spawned them went head down and ass up to Erdogan to protect their interests in Turkey.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:37 PM   #1029
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
.... CNN had this article ....
That's a good read. The right wing "bubble" is a misnomer; it's a dense dome impregnable to facts and reality. It's sad actually, that those who control Fox and the on-air personalities(?) do what they do for the money, the well-being of the country be damned.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 07:55 PM   #1030
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Ever been to Louisiana?

It’s the state motto
This kind of naked elitism seems out of place on an allegedly skeptical forum.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #1031
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That's a good read. The right wing "bubble" is a misnomer; it's a dense dome impregnable to facts and reality. It's sad actually, that those who control Fox and the on-air personalities(?) do what they do for the money, the well-being of the country be damned.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:04 PM   #1032
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What's your point?

She's not throwing shade in lieu of trying to toss the bum out. She's doing so in addition to trying to toss the bum out. (He won't be removed, but perhaps some voters will be swayed. Perhaps not.)

I don't understand your point at all. Pelosi's little joke doesn't mean the Dems have won, but who thought it did?

I thought she was having a dig at Trump's literacy (or lack of).
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 08:17 PM   #1033
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Because Right wing groups like GOPAC, the GOP itself, state-level GOP groups, etc. made bulk purchases? I can't see junioir as being that popular nor do I think the Trump base is an especially literary group.
I haven’t confirmed it, but I saw a headline saying that a Russian mining company bought tens of thousands of books.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:21 PM   #1034
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Ever been to Louisiana?

It’s the state motto
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
This kind of naked elitism seems out of place on an allegedly skeptical forum.
I'm not a big fan either. My experience is there are smart people everywhere. Unfortunately there are also morons everywhere.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:22 PM   #1035
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I haven’t confirmed it, but I saw a headline saying that a Russian mining company bought tens of thousands of books.
They need something to warm their dachas in those Russian winters.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:45 PM   #1036
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If memory serves the "bestseller list" counts bookstores stocking books, not customers buying them.
Apparently this rank is caused by bulk sales, which means the ‘deadly dagger’

Possible bulls sales by Trump & allies.

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/14/donal...o-juice-sales/

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 10:39 PM   #1037
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What did he make up? Right now, it shows as the bestseller on the combined print and ebook nonfiction list.

You want evidence Jr's book isn't full of crap?

Maybe I read your post wrong.
Old 14th November 2019, 10:47 PM   #1038
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

You want evidence Jr's book isn't full of crap?

Maybe I read your post wrong.
Trump said the book is the current bestseller according to the New York Times. This is true.

I didn't say anything about the contents of the book. I haven't read it, but it's not hard to guess whether it's chockfull of ******** or not.
Old 15th November 2019, 12:16 AM   #1039
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump said the book is the current bestseller according to the New York Times. This is true.

I didn't say anything about the contents of the book. I haven't read it, but it's not hard to guess whether it's chockfull of ******** or not.
So was Fifty Shades of Grey. Bleeeeeeeech......
Old 15th November 2019, 12:54 AM   #1040
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Guess which ally we are abandoning next? Too bad they don't have any oil.

Quote:
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper landed in South Korea on Thursday to navigate renewed threats from an "enraged" North Korea and newly heightened strain in the alliance with Seoul that congressional aides, lawmakers and Korea experts say has been caused by President Donald Trump.

Trump is demanding that South Korea pay roughly 500% more in 2020 to cover the cost of keeping US troops on the peninsula, a congressional aide and an administration official confirmed to CNN.

North Korea has already launched 24 missiles this year, each a violation of UN resolutions, to match the country's previous annual record for firing off projectiles that threaten South Korea and Japan, according to Bruce Klingner, a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation.

Germany, France and the United Kingdom recently condemned Pyongyang for the launches, saying they undermined regional security and stability. Meanwhile, South Korean leaders are acutely aware that Trump has downplayed the launches, saying he is "not at all" troubled by them.

"There are a lot of hard feelings," Klingner said of South Korean views of the US right now, adding that "people are questioning the viability of the US as an ally."

That's being driven in part by US acquiescence to North Korea's missile launches, which "is raising angst... about whether the US is a reliable ally," Klingner said. "The exorbitant push to further increase the US demand for the cost of stationing US forces overseas is adding to that."

Scott Snyder, director of the US-Korea policy program at the Council on Foreign Relations, said the extreme nature of the price hike is creating "worry that Trump is doing this as a pretext for withdrawal" of US troops.

Klingner is one of several Korea experts who suggest that Trump pulled the figure out of thin air. Officials at the relevant agencies and aides in Congress who follow Asia are similarly perplexed. "I have no idea where the President pulled this number from," said the congressional aide.

"It seems pretty clear ... that State and DOD were working to figure out how to justify the $5 billion figure... it's not like, 'We were developing a new concept that includes the following 17 categories and this is what it comes to.' It was a backwards process," said the aide characterized the reaction to be one of shock, " 'the President wants $5 billion and how do we justify that to the Koreans?' They were throwing everything in there that allowed them to argue with a straight face that this covers the burden-sharing costs of the alliance."

Sen. Edward Markey, the leading Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee on Asia said that he was "troubled by President Trump's demand. ... If South Korea decides that it is better off without the United States, President Trump will have undermined an over 60-year shared commitment to peace, stability, and rule of law. The region is less safe when countries lose confidence in America's ability to lead."

Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee on Asia, did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Neither did the second ranking Republican on the subcommittee, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, or the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. James Risch of Idaho.

Behind closed doors though, the congressional aide echoed another colleague on Capitol Hill, saying that "there's a lot of concern up here with both Democratic and Republican staff. People ... are not happy. They think this is really dangerous."
Linky.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics