ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:24 AM   #81
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Old British saying "the Wogs begin at Calais".
Attributed to the RSM of the Coldstream Guards embarking for WWI.
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:46 AM   #82
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It's Istanbul not Constantinople no you can't go back to Constantinople
Pffff, Byzantium please.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:57 PM   #83
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Pffff, Byzantium please.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...g-to-byzantium

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees,
—Those dying generations—at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.
Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 11:27 AM   #84
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...g-to-byzantium

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees,
—Those dying generations—at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.
Ah, Yeats. Though not his best work IMO.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 04:13 PM   #85
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ah, Yeats. Though not his best work IMO.
That's the lying spin they teach in western schools.

The Turkish original was actually written by Gülyam Batalar Yütiz. The English translation lost quite a bit of the natural beauty of all things Turkish.
Old 24th October 2019, 05:53 PM   #86
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

One of my ancestors defeated Napoleon.
Old 24th October 2019, 06:25 PM   #87
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

One of my ancestors WAS Napoleon.

Probably. I mean, given the way exponential cosanguinuity works. He might have been.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 07:54 PM   #88
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

One of my ancestors was Pocahontas.

No, really. She was!

Of course, at 13 generations removed, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of others can make the same claim.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2019, 01:51 PM   #89
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
White people may have originated in the Caucasus region. But that does not make them Turkmen or Turkish. Also the people in Turkmenistan and Turkey are not the same and both groups will tell you that even though they did start out that way.

People that build long lasting famous pyramids mentioned in the OP were not white.

I guess that in some cases the only good thing you can do with a history book is hit people over the head with them.
How do you know we’re not white? Let me ask google google say the answer is being debated in Facebook and that science doesn’t really care if Egyptians were white or not

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 26th October 2019 at 01:58 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 03:10 AM   #90
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Actually the Turks are the result of a series of forbidden romances between Kurds and Greeks.

A couple of Armenians were probably in there somewhere, too.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 07:20 AM   #91
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Where's Emre? It would be more fun insulting his heritage if he was here.
Old 28th October 2019, 05:55 AM   #92
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Where's Emre? It would be more fun insulting his heritage if he was here.
How is it insulting to be said one's descended from Kurds, Greeks, and Armenians? Those are fine peoples with many accomplishments, and some of them are pretty sexy.
Old 28th October 2019, 12:17 PM   #93
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like we are all actually descended from Botswanans

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-Botswana.html0

EDIT: Yes, I know, its "The Flail", so I thought I had better post some more reputable links...

https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a9174396.html

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science...botswana-maybe

Last edited by smartcooky; 28th October 2019 at 12:35 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 12:38 PM   #94
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
How is it insulting to be said one's descended from Kurds, Greeks, and Armenians? Those are fine peoples with many accomplishments, and some of them are pretty sexy.
Its not, unless you're a xenophobic Turk.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 01:59 PM   #95
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
How do you know we’re not white? Let me ask google google say the answer is being debated in Facebook and that science doesn’t really care if Egyptians were white or not
Their own artwork, books, science.
Old 28th October 2019, 03:33 PM   #96
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I read a really old book on it once that seemed to have some secrets but forgot them. Imma go check amazon and see if they have a Zoroastrian bible. They used to be hard to get ahold of. They do not. I wonder if I still got my old one

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 28th October 2019 at 03:36 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 03:37 AM   #97
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

My first posting after training in the Air Force was a little NATO base just outside of Diyarbakir Turkey. That would be in the eastern or the Kurdish part. I assure you that suggesting to a nationalist Turk that he is the product of Kurds and Greeks is insulting to their heritage.
Old 29th October 2019, 04:52 AM   #98
Tony99
Muse

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I read a really old book on it once that seemed to have some secrets but forgot them. Imma go check amazon and see if they have a Zoroastrian bible. They used to be hard to get ahold of. They do not. I wonder if I still got my old one
Probably because its not called the "Zoroastrian bible"
And Amazon has plenty of copies of Zoroastrian holy texts if you're truly interested.
Tony99 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 05:19 AM   #99
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony99 View Post
Probably because its not called the "Zoroastrian bible"
And Amazon has plenty of copies of Zoroastrian holy texts if you're truly interested.
Also the Zoroastrians were not known to be much of a presence in Egypt or Turkey. They were likely centered on what became Persia. Relations between Persia and their neighbors to the west were often not good.
Old 29th October 2019, 06:57 AM   #100
ahhell
Master Poster

Also the Zoroastrians were not known to be much of a presence in Egypt or Turkey. They were likely centered on what became Persia. Relations between Persia and their neighbors to the west were often not good.
It had a presence in both Turkey and Egypt though. The Zoarastrian Sassanid empire controlled both at one point, briefly anyway.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:51 AM   #101
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It had a presence in both Turkey and Egypt though. The Zoarastrian Sassanid empire controlled both at one point, briefly anyway.
At the time they would have been in Turkey they did not convert a whole lot of Turks. They mostly failed to take the city.

The Egyptians may have been under Sassanid control for a while but that did not make Egypt a Zoroastrian country any more than the Greeks made it a Greek country. That was also long into the common era and long after pyramids were done.
Old 30th October 2019, 07:05 AM   #102
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I played in a game as the Egyptians sensing a coup I drafted a huge army and converted the country to Zoroastrian. I was ousted but after the civil war the country converted with a huge army of hardened troops that went on to hold and conquer much of the eastern Mediterranean might still be going
Old 13th November 2019, 06:34 AM   #103
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
You can never understand White history until you read it in the original Klingon.
All joking aside, Emre_1974tr is participating in a classic racist trope for justifying conquest and genocide. This is just a Turkish version of the "It's really OURS" claim so common among those who want to rape, murder and steal their way to power. For example, Hitler used a version of this excuse to justify conquering Austria and Poland.

In the end, I doubt Emre_1974tr cares if his claims are even true. They justify something he wants, so he accepts them without question. I'm reminded of some of the people I've known over the years who insisted that Jews make the Matzo for Passover Seders using the blood of murdered Christian children. They WANTED to believe it, so they believed it, regardless of the overt absurdity of the claims and the complete lack of any evidence to support it.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 13th November 2019 at 07:20 AM.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:40 AM   #104
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
All joking aside, Emre_1974tr is participating in a classic racist trope for justifying conquest and genocide. This is just a Turkish version of the "It's really OURS" claim so common among those who want to rape, murder and steal their way to power. For example, Hitler used a version of this excuse to justify conquering Austria and Poland.

In the end, I doubt Emre_1974tr cares if his claims are even true. They justify something he wants, so he accepts them without question. I'm reminded of some of the people I've known over the years who insisted that Jews make the Matzo for Passover Seders using the blood of murdered Christian children. They WANTED to believe it, so they believed it, regardless of the overt absurdity of the claims and the complete lack of any evidence to support it.
The matzo blood thing never made sense. As anyone who watches Bakeoff can tell you, adding something wet to dough completely alters the bake. I'm sure Satan appreciates human sacrifice but there's no way he'd accept soggy bottoms.
Old 13th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #105
ahhell
Master Poster

The matzo blood thing never made sense. As anyone who watches Bakeoff can tell you, adding something wet to dough completely alters the bake. I'm sure Satan appreciates human sacrifice but there's no way he'd accept soggy bottoms.
Any baker would no to compensate by reducing the other liquid ingredients. I'd assume blood would be replace water at something like 2 to 1.

If the antisemites had ever had matza they'd know its way to bland to have blood in it. Seriously though, if you've even seen matzo you can tell there isn't any blood in it.

The blood libel thing is quite remarkable. Lots of folks have historically been accused by their enemies of human sacrifice and cannibalism, the Romans did it all the time, even though the gladiatorial games almost certainly were a form of human sacrifice originally. Like all things anti-semitic, its been remarkably persistent over the years, there are even pre-christian accusations of human sacrifice.
Old 13th November 2019, 08:48 AM   #106
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Any baker would no to compensate by reducing the other liquid ingredients. I'd assume blood would be replace water at something like 2 to 1.

If the antisemites had ever had matza they'd know its way to bland to have blood in it. Seriously though, if you've even seen matzo you can tell there isn't any blood in it.

The blood libel thing is quite remarkable. Lots of folks have historically been accused by their enemies of human sacrifice and cannibalism, the Romans did it all the time, even though the gladiatorial games almost certainly were a form of human sacrifice originally. Like all things anti-semitic, its been remarkably persistent over the years, there are even pre-christian accusations of human sacrifice.
The Romans used accusations of human sacrifice, particularly of children, as slander to get public opinion against a given enemy. The Cathaginians, for instance. It is indeed ironic considering the Roman habit of executing minors for the crimes of their parents. ( I'm omitting a detail about that because it would ruin anyone's day to learn it if they didn't already know. ) For some peculiar reason the Romans were fine with murdering children so long as it wasn't for a religious sacrifice.
Old 13th November 2019, 11:26 AM   #107
halleyscomet
Philosopher

This particular Emre_1974tr thread has reminded me of the "logic" in the first part of this image:

Old 14th November 2019, 06:23 AM   #108
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I have no one to blame but myself.

I sent this link to the single most conservative person I know. My intention was to use the absurdity of these claims to segue into discussing his Flat Earth and Creationism beliefs. His reply?

Quote:
"We need to invade Turkey to take back the ancestral home of whites from the Muslims."

Emre_1974tr, I know what you were going for with this argument, but I suggest you back off from it. While you appear to think it justifies Turkish conquest, it can also be used to justify other countries invading Turkey to "reclaim" it.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 14th November 2019 at 06:25 AM.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:38 AM   #109
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Turkey belongs to the Ionian Greeks!

Or let's revive the Hittites. They seemed fun.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:31 AM   #110
carlitos
"más divertido"

I sent this link to the single most conservative person I know. My intention was to use the absurdity of these claims to segue into discussing his Flat Earth and Creationism beliefs. His reply?

Quote:
"We need to invade Turkey to take back the ancestral home of whites from the Muslims."
Ask him what he was reading during the early 2000s.

Originally Posted by Ann Coulter
"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity"
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 10:43 AM   #111
Chanakya

Emre_1974tr, I know what you were going for with this argument, but I suggest you back off from it. While you appear to think it justifies Turkish conquest, it can also be used to justify other countries invading Turkey to "reclaim" it.

Hilarious!

The best part is, once you get into the spirit of the game, that conclusion does follow!

Emre, look what you've gone and done. The shaven headed nut jobs with swastikas tattoed on, they're on their way now to take back what's theirs.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 11:10 AM   #112
Doubt
Philosopher

https://i.imgur.com/iWKad22b.jpg

Anatolia has been invaded by lots of different people through the ages. Just what is now the UK. They also incorporated people from many places into the Ottoman empire. Janissary forces did not come from a garden. They were from Ottoman controlled parts of Europe.
Old 14th November 2019, 11:38 AM   #113
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Anatolia has been invaded by lots of different people through the ages. Just what is now the UK. They also incorporated people from many places into the Ottoman empire. Janissary forces did not come from a garden. They were from Ottoman controlled parts of Europe.
Come to think of it, I think I can name more civilizations that have held territory in what is now Turkey than civilizations who haven't. Everybody from the Egyptians to the Mongols!
Old 14th November 2019, 05:30 PM   #114
Emre_1974tr
Muse

The Turks existed in Anatolia and Europe thousands of years ago.

All western peoples, including the Greeks, are Turks.

A mixture of Turks and Chinese hybrid communities is only one branch of the Turkics.

But in reality the Turks are a purebred white race.

Hybrid societies come to your mind immediately. If you look at it, the Jews are the Caspian/Hazar Turks, a mixture of Turks and Indians.

All Western white societies are Turks from Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDn2dDaxdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiCsZhG-CpQ

https://owlcation.com/humanities/The...-Ancient-China

http://sumerianturks.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQQiCVMKSZQ
Emre_1974tr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:39 PM   #115
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
But in reality the Turks are a purebred white race.

Hybrid societies come to your mind immediately. If you look at it, the Jews are the Caspian/Hazar Turks, a mixture of Turks and Indians.

Have you considered posting on the David Icke forum? I think you’d be a very interesting addition to that site.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:03 PM   #116
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yep, Turks are a purebred white race.

Apart from those who are not.

ETA: I defy Emre to identify ANY Turks who are purebred anything. That area of the world is a veritable melting pot of cultures and ethnicities. And all the better for that.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 14th November 2019 at 07:05 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 10:48 PM   #117
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

The Turks existed in Anatolia and Europe thousands of years ago.
"The Seljuk Turks defeated the Byzantine army in 1071 Manzikert Battle and opened up Anatolia for Turkish rule."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Anatolia

Try harder next time or we will send Alexander and the Macedonians to conquer this area again. .
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 02:29 AM   #118
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
"The Seljuk Turks defeated the Byzantine army in 1071 Manzikert Battle and opened up Anatolia for Turkish rule."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Anatolia
.[/i][/color]
Seljuk Turks ....

But other Turkish tribes came to Europe and Anatolia before.

All the white western peoples are Turks.
Emre_1974tr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 04:50 AM   #119
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Seljuk Turks ....

But other Turkish tribes came to Europe and Anatolia before.

All the white western peoples are Turks.

Well, the mutation that caused the crippling melanin deficiency that drove certain subgroups of humans out of sunnier climates had to originate somewhere. What’s your point? What are you trying to achieve by trying to claim a particular mutation originated in what is now modern day Turkey?
Old 15th November 2019, 06:26 AM   #120
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What is the deal with modern Turkish insistence on believing themselves special? Most other nationalities have outgrown that, or at least base it on something other than mere ancestry. Inferiority complex?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts