ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jimi hendrix

Old 12th December 2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Jimi Hendrix is not to blame for psittacosis.

No, really, it wasn't all his fault. Apparently there was a rumour that feral parakeets in the UK were descended from a pair released by Jimi Hendrix in the 1960's, but a study on invasive species has found references to them as far back as the 1860's. A somewhat confused BBC News article appears to be suggesting tht Hendrix is now therefore exonerated from blame for psittacosis scares in 1929 and 1952, implying that he hadn't invented time travel by then either.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Does it really matter when you invent time travel?
Old 12th December 2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

The funny thing is that I've lived in London for eighteen years, have been aware of the parakeets for most of them - especially since moving to South London (there's loads around here) - but had never heard this theory before this "news." We also saw the Brussels variety when we visited in 2010 for Mrs Analyst's 30th birthday.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Elaedith
Muse

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
No, really, it wasn't all his fault. Apparently there was a rumour that feral parakeets in the UK were descended from a pair released by Jimi Hendrix in the 1960's, but a study on invasive species has found references to them as far back as the 1860's. A somewhat confused BBC News article appears to be suggesting tht Hendrix is now therefore exonerated from blame for psittacosis scares in 1929 and 1952, implying that he hadn't invented time travel by then either.

Dave
I saw that article, but I thought it was suggesting that the psittacosis scares were an alternative explanation (lots of people panicked and let their pet parrakeets loose to get rid of them).
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 12:10 PM   #5
autumn1971
Illuminator

“Excuse me, while I let these fly!”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 01:34 PM   #6
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Does it really matter when you invent time travel?
Bazinga!
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:11 PM   #7
wasapi
Philosopher

What else can we claim a dead musician was responsible for? The plague, floods, fires?
Old 12th December 2019, 02:30 PM   #8
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I thought the rumour was that it was Jim Morrison released the birds or they'd escaped from the set of the "The African Queen"

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:02 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
“Excuse me, while I let these fly!”

Bird ****, you make my fart stink
You make everything sickly, bird ****
Bird ****, I think you move me
Polly wanna cracker for sure
Come on and cloaca tight
You move me

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events