ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , mass shootings , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 30th June 2018, 06:43 AM   #561
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The more I hear about this shooter's incessant threats and stalking, the more I wonder why it is people are so reluctant to address these guys before they shoot. There should have been a big red flag that went straight to the FBI and the local police when this guy bought that shotgun.

And there needs to be a way to make regular status checks on people like this.

But here again is another one that had all the warning signs and no one acted.

And by the way, if there's a guy harassing your workplace currently, get your bosses to do something to secure the building a little better. Every city building here requires one have a pass to get anywhere except to the front desk during business hours.
I agree 100%. I believe stalking should be taken far more seriously than it currently is. I would propose legally-defined degrees of stalking, to distinguish between the love-struck lonely 12-year old who doesn't know better to the 30-year old mass-shooter-in-training. Stalking that includes threats of violence, direct personal contact, incessant/obsessive behavior etc. should be considered a felony with multi-year prison sentences. And anyone convicted of such stalking belongs on a register, just like pedophiles, with all their neighbors, employers, etc. informed of that fact. They are a danger to their community and people should be warned that even the most casual interaction with them may put yourself at grave risk.

Last edited by Stellafane; 30th June 2018 at 06:49 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 10:36 AM   #562
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
To call that 'denying one said something' is quite a stretch.

Of course she didn't.

Um, that. She's right.
Like many of these arguments, someone is trying for the "Post Hoc ergo Propter Hoc" fallacy, but they don't even get the timeline right.

It's also worth noting that these latest protests began with Kirstjen (or however it's spelled) and Steve Miller, both in far louder manners Than Sanders was. But actually, Betsy Devos has faced protests before as well - and many people refused to attend Civil Rights Museum openings when Dolt 45 showed up as well. So this isn't really something that just began happening a week or two ago.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 10:54 AM   #563
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Then it looks like you've just removed yourself from the conversation:
Please accept this brief, but heartfelt, round of applause.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 11:07 AM   #564
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Maxine made no calls for violence at all. To say otherwise is an outright lie.
Or, more likely, projection.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 11:36 AM   #565
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'm actually kinda for the idea of going with the Founding Fathers original vision. It'd be interesting to see the reaction of a lot of the 2nd Amendment people when they realised that by owning a gun they were volunteering to not only become part of the US Military, but that in doing so they were going to be responsible for buying and maintaining all of the gear that they would use while deployed to whatever corner of the Earth the Government was sending them off to fight.

Think of the saving in taxpayer money, it'd be win win.
Best. Idea. Ever.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2018, 08:05 AM   #566
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
You have the wrong war. Germany wanted the Model 1897 banned during WW1, when Hitler was just a corporal and there was no Nazi party. It was of course, rather absurd to request shotguns be banned when poison gas was in use.
Under the prohibition of expanding ammunition uncoated lead buckshot were arguably illegal. Hence the copper washed pellets used in military ammunition in WW1.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2018, 08:09 AM   #567
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The Founding Fathers wrote into our Bill of Rights that we should have enough guns to fight off enemies as needed.
Rubbish. You should research your constitution some time.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2018, 04:50 PM   #568
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Under the prohibition of expanding ammunition uncoated lead buckshot were arguably illegal. Hence the copper washed pellets used in military ammunition in WW1.
A copper washed coating is very thin and does nothing to prevent expansion or deformation. It is used for its lubrication properties. You might be thinking of the thicker copper jackets used on other types of ammo. Even then some copper jacketed ammo is intended to expand such as hollow point and soft point.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2018, 05:35 PM   #569
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Rubbish. You should research your constitution some time.
You have to remember that some of those that yell about the 2nd Amendment are Red Dawn fetishists.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2018, 07:15 PM   #570
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

You have to remember that some of those that yell about the 2nd Amendment are Red Dawn fetishists.
Which is weird, because they love Putin.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:49 AM   #571
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I initially read that as Red Dwarf fetishists and had trouble seeing what the connection was.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:58 AM   #572
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So basic lead ball ammo was and is illegal?

Back on more of a topic, at least he had ties to other terrorists with his like of the alt right.

https://www.salon.com/2018/06/30/exc...the-alt-right/

"When the identity of the apparent gunman in the massacre of five journalists in Annapolis, Maryland, was revealed, Jonathan Hutson, a communications consultant and writer who lives nearby, had a shock of recognition. The suspect, Jarrod Ramos, had contacted Hutson in March 2015, taunting him about his role in alerting law enforcement and thwarting a potential mass killer who threatened schoolchildren and Jews in far-away Montana."
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:59 AM   #573
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I initially read that as Red Dwarf fetishists and had trouble seeing what the connection was.
Now I see Lister shouting Wolverines!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:34 AM   #574
Armitage72
Illuminator

They always forget about, or never knew about, incidents like George Washington personally leading 2nd Amendment-armed militias to deal with freedom-loving farmers who were rebelling by refusing to pay taxes and attacking tax collectors.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:11 AM   #575
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
They always forget about, or never knew about, incidents like George Washington personally leading 2nd Amendment-armed militias to deal with freedom-loving farmers who were rebelling by refusing to pay taxes and attacking tax collectors.
And they never seem to want to cut the army to a size our founders would accept.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:09 PM   #576
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Since pretty much the entire USA agrees it would be best that gangs, criminals, violent people and the mentally deranged should not have guns, but cannot work together to stop such easy access, does arguing about calibres and types of gun have a point to it?
Old 9th July 2018, 04:19 PM   #577
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Members of the well regulated militia shoot at each other in a car park and only one survives

"Man fatally shot during argument fired first shot, killing bystander.

Authorities with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office identified the shooter Monday as Jorge Vega-Rosado, 26, of Orange City, and said he was acting in self-defense when he killed Brown. Deputies said Brown first pulled a gun on Vega-Rosado and fired a shot, missing Vega-Rosado and hitting Strada, an innocent bystander at a nearby restaurant."

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/in...im-family-says
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 05:52 PM   #578
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Members of the well regulated militia shoot at each other in a car park and only one survives
And of course it's in Florida.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:00 PM   #579
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

"Mass"?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:09 PM   #580
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Its the wild west out there!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:15 PM   #581
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Another example of people using the tools at hand to solve their problems. Fatally.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:16 PM   #582
deadrose
Illuminator

The innocent bystander has died.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:21 PM   #583
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Tragic. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:12 PM   #584
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Innocent bystanders should be armed, then they would be safe........
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:18 PM   #585
The Big Dog

4 killed 26 shot in Chicago over the weekend.

http://abc7chicago.com/amp/4-killed-...tings/3732441/
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:26 PM   #586
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Innocent bystanders should be armed, then they would be safe........
Yeah, because a good innocent bystander with a gun will always stop a bad innocent bystander with a gun!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:20 AM   #587
The Big Dog

Seven shot at a park Saturday night.

48 shell casings found

Car used was carjacked and the woman had beg the shooters to let her take her kid out of the back of the car.

Just another Saturday Night mass casualty event in Chicago.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 11:00 AM   #588
The Big Dog

Quote:
The heaviest amount of violence took place between midnight and 3 a.m., when 30 people were shot. Five mass shootings, in which three or more people were shot, accounted for 25 of the shooting victims during the three-hour span.

A single shooting in the Gresham neighborhood wounded eight people, including four teenage girls.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/in...oger-hospital/
Old 6th August 2018, 11:31 AM   #589
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
That article claims five dead. CNN claims twelve dead.

I almost never agree with anything you post - but if you are suggesting that liberals and gun control proponents have a blind spot when it concerns the murder of black people by other black people, you are not wholly wrong.

There has been a trend by some sources to not include gang violence in with mass shooting numbers. Vox had an article on that after the shooting at the New Jersey Arts Festival a while back (note that one of the larger gun control groups, Moms Demand Action, had a booth at that event with members present during the shooting).

The Trenton, New Jersey, mass shooting isn’t getting much national attention. It should.

Quote:
In some cases, analysts, like Mother Jones, exclude gang-related events from their counts of mass shootings because they’re trying to capture what Americans traditionally think of as a mass shooting.
That was addressed earlier in this thread around post #412.

This current round of violence in Chicago is at least getting nationwide above-the-fold type coverage, if not actual headlines. I am seeing statements from Everytown and Brady Campaign about it as well, so it is not completely under the radar of these groups.

Last edited by crescent; 6th August 2018 at 11:33 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 11:48 AM   #590
The Big Dog

This is what a mass shooting sounds like

https://twitter.com/SPOTNEWSonIG/sta...75794283008000

that times five was this weekend in Chicago.
Old 6th August 2018, 12:05 PM   #591
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
This is what a mass shooting sounds like

https://twitter.com/SPOTNEWSonIG/sta...75794283008000

that times five was this weekend in Chicago.
That sucks.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 02:50 PM   #592
Ranb
Philosopher

Potential mass shooting stopped in Florida.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/06...+Latest+-+Text)

Quote:
An armed bystander shot a man who opened fire at a Florida park filled with over 100 people -- including children -- for a Saturday back-to-school cookout, officials said.

The Titusville Police Department said in a news release the man was involved in a fistfight with another person at the Issac Campbell Park and left around 5:20 p.m. -- only to return with a gun minutes later and start shooting.

A bystander, who was lawfully licensed to carry a firearm, then shot the gunman.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 08:09 PM   #593
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Thank god for guns. If that man didnt have a gun he wouldnt be able to shoot that other guy.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 08:15 PM   #594
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Also what about the evidence presented indicated that a mass shooting was prevented? Guy A loses a fistfight with guy B. guy A leaves, gets a gun, comes back and starts shooting. It would seem the shooter wants to shoot the guy who won the fight. Nothing indicates he was targeting others especially the fact he fired of several shots and no one else was even injured.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 02:08 AM   #595
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Such is the desperation to justify having a gun, critical examination of a shooting goes out the window and anyone armed who shoots another who is armed, is lauded for potentially preventing a mass shooting.

Mass shootings are in fact rare. More common is a shooting directed at a person, where by-standers get shot and that includes police shooting by-standers.

More guns, more ammo, means more shots fired and a higher chance of by-standers being hit.
Old 8th August 2018, 02:11 AM   #596
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Such is the desperation to justify having a gun, critical examination of a shooting goes out the window and anyone armed who shoots another who is armed, is lauded for potentially preventing a mass shooting.

Mass shootings are in fact rare. More common is a shooting directed at a person, where by-standers get shot and that includes police shooting by-standers.

More guns, more ammo, means more shots fired and a higher chance of by-standers being hit.
Too true. With better gun regulation, there would not be a need for a "good guy with a gun" to shoot a "potential mass shooter", as the potential would not be there.
Old 8th August 2018, 02:20 AM   #597
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Too true. With better gun regulation, there would not be a need for a "good guy with a gun" to shoot a "potential mass shooter", as the potential would not be there.
With better regulation, the instance of a bad guy with a gun would be very low indeed, negating the desire to have lots of good guys with guns.

But, since the USA cannot regulate guns (for the foreseeable future anyway) as the present system is so out of control and ad hoc, the best tactic is a coping strategy.
Old 8th August 2018, 10:33 AM   #598
The Big Dog

What a mass shooting sounds like, part 2

https://twitter.com/SPOTNEWSonIG/sta...44708802822144

In Chicago, mass shootings are not rare, people only think they are because they don't get reported as mass shootings
Old 8th August 2018, 12:39 PM   #599
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Mass shooting. Spree shooting. Gang gun fights. The police shooting suspects.

All usually involve a lot of ammunition and the more ammo fired, the more chances of death and serious injury.
Old 26th August 2018, 12:11 PM   #600
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Today's mass shooting comes from Jacksonville, Florida, where somebody just shot up a video game tournament that was being live-streamed. Early reports indicate four people killed, eleven others wounded.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events