ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:14 AM   #441
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,156
I don't read the Daily Fail, naturally. And I doubt anything it says about Thunberg.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:14 AM   #442
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 29,954
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
She reduced the number of trips her father and her had to take by 4 (trips that were not necessary to make in the first place), and increased the number of trips the crew had to make by 4.
The statement was that 2 people had to fly out, wasn't it, not that 2 had to fly out and 2 fly back?

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:43 AM   #443
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 19,505
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
If you understand that propaganda doesn't have to be based on lies, the answer is rather obvious. Pope, Princes, Parliaments.
You're not making any sense. Did the Pope abuse her? Do you think talking to the Pope is some form of abuse?

Can you be less cryptic for those of us clearly not understanding how you are comparing her treatment to the other examples of abuse you used?
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:32 AM   #444
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,156
""This voyage symbolises two things: that it's not easy to replace fossil fuels, and that overcoming this challenge can be a great adventure."

Boris Herrmann.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:48 AM   #445
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
The statement was that 2 people had to fly out, wasn't it, not that 2 had to fly out and 2 fly back?

Dave
Right, because they'll be taking the boat back.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:53 AM   #446
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,592
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Right, because they'll be taking the boat back.
According to the report two of the passengers outbound will be flying back instead of returning with the boat.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:12 AM   #447
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,426
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Right, because they'll be taking the boat back.
Yes, I think that was the idea.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:58 PM   #448
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
According to the report two of the passengers outbound will be flying back instead of returning with the boat.
Again, nothing to do with Thunberg.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:09 PM   #449
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,592
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Again, nothing to do with Thunberg.
Enh. Sort of.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:09 PM   #450
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,724
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Well then, that's perfect. There's the excuse you need to ignore her.

Problem is, right wingers can't ignore her, because she's still a massive problem for them.
Well said.

The contortions that conservatives in this thread are going through to discredit Greta are a sight to behold.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:11 PM   #451
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Enh. Sort of.
Not in the least.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:19 PM   #452
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 64,658
So it's a publicity stunt.

It's working.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:53 PM   #453
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
The statement was that 2 people had to fly out, wasn't it, not that 2 had to fly out and 2 fly back?

Dave
The next line said that according to the same spokesperson two crew members may be flying back.

Also, of course Greta and her father are not taking the boat back, so best case scenario this trip was a wash (2 for 2 - although as I have said this trip was not a necessity in the first place) and possibly it was 2 for 4 (or worse, as other stories have put the crew flights as being higher than 4)
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:01 PM   #454
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Well then, that's perfect. There's the excuse you need to ignore her.

Problem is, right wingers can't ignore her, because she's still a massive problem for them.
She's not. Climate change deniers love her, just as they loved Naomi Klein and all of their similar clones. They make an easy target to write about and mock. And they will never accomplish a thing.

It's really just two cults going after their caricature of the other side. They need each other.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:25 PM   #455
BrooklynBaby
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 898
It's hilarious to watch Bernie the Socialist promising to spend 16 trillion dollars on the climate change hoax while 60,000 people in L.A. are taking dumps on the street and eating garbage.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:27 PM   #456
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,724
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
She's not. Climate change deniers love her, just as they loved Naomi Klein and all of their similar clones. They make an easy target to write about and mock. And they will never accomplish a thing.

It's really just two cults going after their caricature of the other side. They need each other.
The difference, of course, is that millennials and younger generations are taking notice of her. Possibly the last generation with any chance of undoing the crap older generations have inflicted on the world.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:57 PM   #457
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
So it's a publicity stunt.

It's working.
That's essentially what activism is; attracting publicity to a cause.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:22 PM   #458
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 64,658
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's essentially what activism is; attracting publicity to a cause.
Agreed. She's doing great.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:01 AM   #459
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,426
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
She's not. Climate change deniers love her, just as they loved Naomi Klein and all of their similar clones. They make an easy target to write about and mock. And they will never accomplish a thing.

It's really just two cults going after their caricature of the other side. They need each other.
Two cults? Those who accept the science are one cult and those who deny the science is the other. Then where does that leave you?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:02 AM   #460
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 29,954
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Also, of course Greta and her father are not taking the boat back, [...]
Your source for this?

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:16 AM   #461
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,959
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Agreed. She's doing great.
Unless she isn't. We would actually have to figure out the marginal gain in attention.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:37 AM   #462
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,724
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Unless she isn't. We would actually have to figure out the marginal gain in attention.
And yet you are posting about her.

******* amazing. Win for Greta.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:44 AM   #463
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,959
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And yet you are posting about her.

******* amazing. Win for Greta.
No, because nothing on this forum matters.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:28 AM   #464
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Two cults? Those who accept the science are one cult and those who deny the science is the other. Then where does that leave you?
Neither of the cults care about, understand or accept science, unless it just so happens to conform with their ideology. They both think they do.

Let's just start off with what might be the central slogan of Greta and the Extinction Rebellion and I will quote you making the same claim:

"Also, keep in mind the time frame. 10 years, or we're looking at a catastrophic scenario."

And Greta:

"Now we probably don’t even have a future any more. Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

And Roger Hallam (co-founder of extinction rebellion) about "what the science predicts":

"We are facing mass starvation in the next 10 years, social collapse and the possible extinction of the human race." "By that time there could only be a billion people left. That is six billion who have died from starvation or slaughtered."

This is a "scientific" claim, straight from the IPCC, but not everyone would agree with it. Here is an article as an example:

"My biggest concern is with the much-touted line that “the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says we have 12 years” before triggering an irreversible slide into climate chaos. Slogan writers are vague on whether they mean climate chaos will happen after 12 years, or if we have 12 years to avert it. But both are misleading."

Now of course, this person is undoubtedly a climate change denier, right? He must be. It's not like he would be the relevant IPCC lead author of the very section of the report where activists and journalists "claim" their slogan was said...right? Well let's see how the article continues...

"As the relevant lead author of the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C, I spent several days last October, literally under a spotlight, explaining to delegates of the world’s governments what we could, and could not, say about how close we are to that level of warming."

This is a apocalypse cult with the characteristics of the worst religious death cults. The fall from grace humans must be punished for their arrogance. It is nothing new. Environmentalist and scholar Martin Lewis wrote about the taking over of the environmental movement by deep ecology antihumanist anarchists 30 years ago and their philosophy of utopian politics. Nothing will be accomplished, except for more harm to the planet, as long as they have influence, and they have tons.

The cult believes that Greta is speaking truth to power and making world leaders tremble in her wrath. Please. World leaders - at least the majority who want to do something about climate change - love her, although not for the same reasons deniers do. World leaders love her because she actually gives them cover. When/If she comes to Canada the leaders of 3 of the 4 major political parties will be falling over themselves to be seen with her. There are basically two sides. The political parties that are not interested in doing anything about climate change, and the political parties that are, and have spent massive sums of money to tackle the problem but have accomplished little more than blowing money. When someone is in the news saying hysterical things about the end of days because climate change that is a massive boon for the leaders of political parties that have tried to tackle climate change but only wasted money because it shows the opposition parties as evil and gets their party off the hook for incompetent boondoggles.

It is not some mistake that Greta gets to speak to world leaders. They are not letting her talk to them so they can grovel about their failures and ask forgiveness.

Of course the problem is that the solutions proposed by environmental groups, and therefore political parties that want the support of environmental groups, have not worked, will not work, and can not work. They will be tried over and over again (and like communism, will just believe that their previous attempts were not applied properly) until eventually the ideological framework which is built on longstanding myths (like the balance of nature) completely falls apart and is replaced with a new framework that incorporates reality.

So where does that leave me. I am a scientist, who like almost all scientists I know avoids both cults. Ozone depletion was dealt with behind closed doors starting during the Nixon administration and slowly progressing, following the best science, and eventually becoming public in the 80s. Climate change has been dealt with out in open since the start. It put the exact opposite pressure on the scientific community as dealing with ozone did, and scientists who got the most attention and the most sway were not the ones who were conforming to the learned scientific view, but the few who were most on the extremes - either deniers saying what corporations who would benefit from denial would promote, or scientists saying what activists in environmental organizations wanted to hear. The general public has been polluted so thoroughly by both cults that I don't think that reasonable action or effective policy is possible anytime soon.

Last edited by Wayward son; 23rd August 2019 at 07:53 AM.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:00 AM   #465
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Your source for this?

Dave
If she is it will likely result in the same crew flights just in the opposite direction.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:09 AM   #466
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 29,954
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
If she is it will likely result in the same crew flights just in the opposite direction.
Your source for this?

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:22 AM   #467
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Your source for this?

Dave
Using my brain. Boat would need to come back.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:24 AM   #468
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 29,954
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Using my brain. Boat would need to come back.
So, basically, making stuff up. Did you see the bit where they said it was only because of a late change in schedule that they would need to fly out two crew members? Or have you decided that they have to do this every time based on actual information, rather than guesswork?

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:46 AM   #469
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
So, basically, making stuff up. Did you see the bit where they said it was only because of a late change in schedule that they would need to fly out two crew members? Or have you decided that they have to do this every time based on actual information, rather than guesswork?

Dave
Yes, it was a late change of schedule because of Greta. It would be the same on the way back because Greta and her father are doing a tour and don't know when they will return.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:48 AM   #470
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 29,954
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Yes, it was a late change of schedule because of Greta. It would be the same on the way back because Greta and her father are doing a tour and don't know when they will return.
Guesswork. You don't know that the return trip will require crewmen to be flown out. You're making that assumption because it supports your argument.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:45 AM   #471
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Let's just start off with what might be the central slogan of Greta and the Extinction Rebellion and I will quote you making the same claim:
And apparently end with that as well, because the same editorial you quote says:

Quote:
One of the most insidious myths about climate change is the pretence that we are all in it together. People ask me whether I’m kept awake at night by the prospect of five degrees of warming. I don’t think we’ll make it to five degrees. I’m far more worried about geopolitical breakdown as the injustices of climate change emerge as we steam from two to three degrees.
and

Quote:
What about the other interpretation of the IPCC’s 12 years: that we have 12 years to act? What our report said was, in scenarios with a one-in-two to two-in-three chance of keeping global warming below 1.5°C, emissions are reduced to around half their present level by 2030. That doesn’t mean we have 12 years to act: it means we have to act now, and even if we do, success is not guaranteed.
It sounds to me like he's not disputing the direness of situation; activists citing a 12-year deadline when some of the world won't be feeling the harshest effects for more like 25 years doesn't make the concerns of climate change activists ignorable. Likewise, considering that the IPCC report from which the "12 year" figure emerged came out only late last year and climate change activism has been around far, far longer than that, referring to climate change activists as a "cult" based on that figure or even calling the "12 year" figure a "central slogan" of a movement that began over a decade before that figure was ever cited is either vastly ignorant or intentionally dishonest on your part. I'm leaning toward the latter, considering you claim to "avoid both cults" and yet the entirety of your criticism is reserved for only one of them; "I'm not on either side" being a common rhetorical tactic attempting to imply more credibility for one's ideas by falsely claiming a neutral-and-therefore-objective stance.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 23rd August 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:45 AM   #472
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,521
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well said.

The contortions that conservatives in this thread are going through to discredit Greta are a sight to behold.
And you've worked that out, how?
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:48 AM   #473
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,521
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The difference, of course, is that millennials and younger generations are taking notice of her. Possibly the last generation with any chance of undoing the crap older generations have inflicted on the world.
So it is 'the cult of the personality'. As if millions of 'millenials and younger generations' didn't work it out for themselves without needing a promoted leader.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:51 AM   #474
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
So it is 'the cult of the personality'. As if millions of 'millenials and younger generations' didn't work it out for themselves without needing a promoted leader.
This is like reducing the American Civil Rights movement to a "cult of personality" that worshipped Dr. Martin Luther King or Malcolm X.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:51 AM   #475
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,521
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's essentially what activism is; attracting publicity to a cause.
Ah, rather like Bob Geldof and Live Aid or Princess Diana and her minefields.

How did Africans even know it was Christmas before Geldof came along or that they are deprived of snow?

Gimme a break from the idle rich preaching at the rest of us and assuming leadership of their favourite cause.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:02 AM   #476
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,521
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This is like reducing the American Civil Rights movement to a "cult of personality" that worshipped Dr. Martin Luther King or Malcolm X.
Are you likening Greta to Dr. Martin Luther King or Malcolm X?
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:15 AM   #477
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,498
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Are you likening Greta to Dr. Martin Luther King or Malcolm X?
Whether she is even of nearly such importance to the climate change movement has yet to be seen. But if a person even attracting a modicum of publicity focused on their connection to a movement, like Greta has, constitutes a "cult of personality" by your definition, how does one ever get into the same league as King et al without being a "cult leader"?
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:57 AM   #478
Wayward son
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
And apparently end with that as well, because the same editorial you quote says:
and
It sounds to me like he's not disputing the direness of situation;
In the article he said this:

"That would indeed get us to 1.5°C by 2030: 12 years from 2018. But an additional quarter of a degree of warming, more-or-less what has happened since the 1990s, is not going to feel like Armageddon to the vast majority of today’s striking teenagers (the striving taxpayers of 2030). And what will they think then?"

and that quote linked this article which states this about hitting 1.5C in 2030:

"During that year we’d expect some extreme weather events somewhere in the world, as happens every year. Some of these heatwaves, heavy downpours or droughts may well have become more likely as part of the changing climate. Others, however, may not have changed in likelihood. Teasing out the signal of climate change from the noise of natural variability is hard work."

Is there a difference between that and these claims:

"Also, keep in mind the time frame. 10 years, or we're looking at a catastrophic scenario."

And Greta:

"Now we probably don’t even have a future any more. Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

And Roger Hallam (co-founder of extinction rebellion) about "what the science predicts":

"We are facing mass starvation in the next 10 years, social collapse and the possible extinction of the human race." "By that time there could only be a billion people left. That is six billion who have died from starvation or slaughtered."

Quote:
Likewise, considering that the IPCC report from which the "12 year" figure emerged came out only late last year and climate change activism has been around far, far longer than that, referring to climate change activists as a "cult" based on that figure or even calling the "12 year" figure a "central slogan" of a movement that began over a decade before that figure was ever cited is either vastly ignorant or intentionally dishonest on your part.

What movement began over a decade ago? My own activism against climate change started 30 years ago. During that time the environmental community, of which I was very much a part of, repeatedly claimed that the world's end was just around the corner unless the climate change policies they demanded (which in general had little to do with climate change) were immediately enacted.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the latter, considering you claim to "avoid both cults" and yet the entirety of your criticism is reserved for only one of them; "I'm not on either side" being a common rhetorical tactic attempting to imply more credibility for one's ideas by falsely claiming a neutral-and-therefore-objective stance.
My vitriol used to go entirely to the deniers until I realized that what the deniers think is completely inconsequential. While what they believe is probably the most wrong, they have essentially no power. They don’t matter.

In 30 years I have watched (and in the odd case advised) many governments who have very earnestly wanted to tackle climate change and failed to accomplish much, if anything at all – except to generally dramatically increase the costs of electricity. This isn’t because of some grand denier conspiracy or due to the influence of the Koch brothers. This is due to bad ideas. Bad ideas that are pushed and demanded by environmental groups and in which governments take over the advice of their experts.
Most scientists will say, well at least they agree there is a problem and they mean well. I won’t.

There has been nothing more harmful to the fight against climate change than the belief spread by the environmental movement, and based purely on an ideology, that fighting climate change can only be accomplished by sacrificing and turning back the clock. When taxpayers find that their hydro rates have sky-rocketed because of completely useless wind and solar installations, which didn’t even result in decreasing emissions they (in the best case scenario) turn away from caring about the issue of climate change.

They shouldn’t. They should turn against the environmental movement and the antihumanist deep ecology philosophy that is being pushed by them. Again, nothing new, Amory Lovins many years ago said “If you ask me, it’d be little short of disastrous for us to discover a source of clean, cheap, abundant energy because of what we would do with it.”

But, in part, because the scientific community has refused to separate themselves from the environmental movement because they are afraid that would give victory to the deniers, the general public thinks that they are pushing the same solutions.

Professor Allen (the same lead author) is calling for: 'Early investment in carbon dioxide disposal is critical, because most of the cheapest options, like underground storage, will take decades to develop and gain public acceptance. Currently, of the billions being spent on combating climate change, only a tiny fraction is remotely relevant to these vital "backstop" technologies.”

“He recommends focussing on the 'carbon intensity of growth', or maximising the rate of economic growth we achieve for a given rate of emission. 'Sacrificing economic growth to reduce emissions could even be counterproductive,' he notes, 'if it impairs the willingness and ability of future generations to reduce emissions to zero.'”

This type of true long-term investment in actually combating climate change is politically infeasible in an environment where people think (incorrectly) that we have 10 years left before a catastrophe.

Last edited by Wayward son; 23rd August 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:17 PM   #479
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,426
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Neither of the cults care about, understand or accept science, unless it just so happens to conform with their ideology. They both think they do.

Let's just start off with what might be the central slogan of Greta and the Extinction Rebellion and I will quote you making the same claim:

"Also, keep in mind the time frame. 10 years, or we're looking at a catastrophic scenario."

And Greta:

"Now we probably don’t even have a future any more. Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

And Roger Hallam (co-founder of extinction rebellion) about "what the science predicts":

"We are facing mass starvation in the next 10 years, social collapse and the possible extinction of the human race." "By that time there could only be a billion people left. That is six billion who have died from starvation or slaughtered."

This is a "scientific" claim, straight from the IPCC, but not everyone would agree with it. Here is an article as an example:

"My biggest concern is with the much-touted line that “the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says we have 12 years” before triggering an irreversible slide into climate chaos. Slogan writers are vague on whether they mean climate chaos will happen after 12 years, or if we have 12 years to avert it. But both are misleading."

Now of course, this person is undoubtedly a climate change denier, right? He must be. It's not like he would be the relevant IPCC lead author of the very section of the report where activists and journalists "claim" their slogan was said...right? Well let's see how the article continues...

"As the relevant lead author of the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C, I spent several days last October, literally under a spotlight, explaining to delegates of the world’s governments what we could, and could not, say about how close we are to that level of warming."

This is a apocalypse cult with the characteristics of the worst religious death cults. The fall from grace humans must be punished for their arrogance. It is nothing new. Environmentalist and scholar Martin Lewis wrote about the taking over of the environmental movement by deep ecology antihumanist anarchists 30 years ago and their philosophy of utopian politics. Nothing will be accomplished, except for more harm to the planet, as long as they have influence, and they have tons.

The cult believes that Greta is speaking truth to power and making world leaders tremble in her wrath. Please. World leaders - at least the majority who want to do something about climate change - love her, although not for the same reasons deniers do. World leaders love her because she actually gives them cover. When/If she comes to Canada the leaders of 3 of the 4 major political parties will be falling over themselves to be seen with her. There are basically two sides. The political parties that are not interested in doing anything about climate change, and the political parties that are, and have spent massive sums of money to tackle the problem but have accomplished little more than blowing money. When someone is in the news saying hysterical things about the end of days because climate change that is a massive boon for the leaders of political parties that have tried to tackle climate change but only wasted money because it shows the opposition parties as evil and gets their party off the hook for incompetent boondoggles.

It is not some mistake that Greta gets to speak to world leaders. They are not letting her talk to them so they can grovel about their failures and ask forgiveness.

Of course the problem is that the solutions proposed by environmental groups, and therefore political parties that want the support of environmental groups, have not worked, will not work, and can not work. They will be tried over and over again (and like communism, will just believe that their previous attempts were not applied properly) until eventually the ideological framework which is built on longstanding myths (like the balance of nature) completely falls apart and is replaced with a new framework that incorporates reality.

So where does that leave me. I am a scientist, who like almost all scientists I know avoids both cults. Ozone depletion was dealt with behind closed doors starting during the Nixon administration and slowly progressing, following the best science, and eventually becoming public in the 80s. Climate change has been dealt with out in open since the start. It put the exact opposite pressure on the scientific community as dealing with ozone did, and scientists who got the most attention and the most sway were not the ones who were conforming to the learned scientific view, but the few who were most on the extremes - either deniers saying what corporations who would benefit from denial would promote, or scientists saying what activists in environmental organizations wanted to hear. The general public has been polluted so thoroughly by both cults that I don't think that reasonable action or effective policy is possible anytime soon.
Are you saying the climate scientists who wrote the IPCC report are in the cult? Are you saying what's in the IPCC report isn't science?

It sounds to me that you are posting a whole lot of bogus conspiracy laden BS, but then again, you are a scientist, so surely you couldn't be doing that.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:21 PM   #480
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,426
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
There has been nothing more harmful to the fight against climate change than the belief spread by the environmental movement, and based purely on an ideology, that fighting climate change can only be accomplished by sacrificing and turning back the clock. When taxpayers find that their hydro rates have sky-rocketed because of completely useless wind and solar installations, which didn’t even result in decreasing emissions they (in the best case scenario) turn away from caring about the issue of climate change.
I'm going to have to see your evidence for... well, all of this.

Oh, and the part where you say that the deniers have no power. I'm going to need evidence for that as well, because that seems just completely bonkers.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 23rd August 2019 at 12:22 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.