IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 08:20 AM   #401
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

USA just passed Sweden in the numbers of corona deaths per capita.

Go USA!
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 08:31 AM   #402
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

Go USA!
That should make some Progressives happy. "America needs to be more like Sweden" is like... 99% of their mental output.
Old 4th September 2020, 08:49 AM   #403
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That should make some Progressives happy. "America needs to be more like Sweden" is like... 99% of their mental output.
Well that sure came out of left field.
Old 4th September 2020, 08:50 AM   #404
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at BBC reporting of the killing of the Portland suspect -

Quote:
Lieutenant Brady said the police were conducting surveillance when the suspect left the apartment and got into a vehicle in the road.

"There was a confrontation between the officers that were on scene and the subject," he said.

"The information we have at this time is that the subject was armed. There were shots that were fired into the vehicle and the subject fled from the vehicle, at which time there was additional shots that were fired."

He said four officers fired their weapons.
Yeah, I'm still not seeing anything that indicates that *any* shots needed fired, at this point.

In an unsurprising development -

Quote:
Several hundred protesters gathered in Portland following the shooting on Thursday and one sign in the street outside a police station read: "There's blood on your hands. You murdered Michael Reinoehl."

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well that sure came out of left field.
Ehh, not exactly, given Joe. It was just dumb, though. As an attempt at a gotcha, maybe a D-? At best?

Last edited by Aridas; 4th September 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 08:52 AM   #405
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If the elections are close it may take a while to sort things out.

But, if Biden manages to maintain a large lead, we will probably have enough election results on election day itself to know who the election winner is. (Even if they don't have final vote counts).
Well, rational persons will.

If the counting in a state were 95% complete and Biden’s lead over Trump was greater than the number of uncounted votes (live, absentee, and mail-in), then any mentally stable folks with a fourth-grade education would know the election for that state is over and the electoral votes can be assigned.

Conclusion:
All this will turn into a *****- show that will be talked about for years. Possibly decades.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th September 2020 at 08:58 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:00 AM   #406
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well that sure came out of left right field.
Fixed that for you.
Old 4th September 2020, 09:03 AM   #407
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Yes, yes, but still you have to concede that Trump was sent by God.
Other "acts of God":
Hurricanes.
Earthquakes.
Tornadoes.
Epidemics.
Floods.
Wildfires.
Meteor Strikes.

Yup, I'm quite willing to give Him the credit for Trump as well.
Old 4th September 2020, 09:04 AM   #408
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Fixed that for you.
Fix accepted.
Old 4th September 2020, 09:05 AM   #409
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Other "acts of God":
Hurricanes.
Earthquakes.
Tornadoes.
Epidemics.
Floods.
Wildfires.
Meteor Strikes.

Somewhat on point...

https://youtu.be/yEKDYIYMgBc
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:07 AM   #410
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Other "acts of God":
Hurricanes.
Earthquakes.
Tornadoes.
Epidemics.
Floods.
Wildfires.
Meteor Strikes.

Interesting question for contracts attorneys: Are acts by Trump which disrupt your ability to perform covered by your Force Majeure clause?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:37 AM   #411
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Commander Bone Spurs honors fallen soldiers again.

What a leader!! Jesus ******* Christ, just imagine any other president ******** on veterans the way this piece of garbage does. But he'll just call it fake news (everyone else is lying) and his idiotic sycophants will nod and drool. **** him and **** them.
Just an update: The right-wing response to this report so far

1) It's all fake news
2) BENGHAZI!!!!!

(seriously, the claim is that his comments are ok because of Benghazi)
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:50 AM   #412
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Just an update: The right-wing response to this report so far

1) It's all fake news
2) BENGHAZI!!!!!

(seriously, the claim is that his comments are ok because of Benghazi)
Well, of course. They will also go back to the Obama not saluting thing and that general genre of yesbuttism.

There is another dimension to this whole episode beyond staggering disrespect.

Is this the guy that is ever going to peacefully give up power? If he is so far gone as to not at all understanding the concept of self-sacrifice that he considers WWI dead to be losers, what possible reason would there be to think he'd accept electoral defeat and relinquish power without force? That between election day and the end of his term he won't use every resource available to keep power regardless of consequence?

Especially if he reasonably believes it is the one thing that keeps him out of jail?
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:53 AM   #413
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Well, of course. They will also go back to the Obama not saluting thing and that general genre of yesbuttism.
I have even seen comments now blaming Biden for Benghazi.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:56 AM   #414
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Another great day for peace with Middle East – Muslim-majority Kosovo and Israel have agreed to normalize ties and establish diplomatic relations. Well-done! More Islamic and Arab nations will follow soon!

Congratulations to @predsednikrs Vucic for announcing the move of Serbia’s Embassy to Jerusalem by July. It is a brave and historic move!

Another day everyone thought would be impossible! Congratulations to @predsednikrs Vucic of Serbia and PM @Avdullah Hoti of Kosovo on committing to #EconomicNormalization! This is a major step forward...

...to bringing prosperity and peace to the Balkans and the world. I am proud to have assisted these leaders!

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 4th September 2020 at 09:59 AM.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:56 AM   #415
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I wonder how Republicans justify continuing to pretend to care about 4 people dying when they don’t care about 180,000+ people dying.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:59 AM   #416
Suddenly
No Punting

As a Democrat unless at some point you get blamed for Benghazi you haven't arrived. Sort of like not being on Nixon's enemies list was embarrassing in some circles.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:59 AM   #417
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I've been informed by Trumpanzees that the article is debunked by new reports. For some reason, they can't cite the reports or give me links to them....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 10:00 AM   #418
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Atlantic Magazine is dying, like most magazines, so they make up a fake story in order to gain some relevance. Story already refuted, but this is what we are up against. Just like the Fake Dossier. You fight and and fight, and then people realize it was a total fraud!

Great Jobs Numbers! 1.37 Million Jobs Added In August. Unemployment Rate Falls To 8.4% (Wow, much better than expected!). Broke the 10% level faster and deeper than thought possible.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 10:00 AM   #419
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I wonder how Republicans justify continuing to pretend to care about 4 people dying when they don’t care about 180,000+ people dying.
Culling the herd. They think it's mostly people of color and old people dying, so it's okay.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 10:04 AM   #420
Dread Pirate Roberts
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

Go USA!
On July 23, Paul Krugman wrote an op-ed in the NY Times with the title "Why Can’t Trump’s America Be Like Italy?". It was about how Italy, after a very rough start, then really flattened the curve and was starting to reopen. There were many pro-Trump comments saying "Italy has 58 deaths/100,000 and the US has 44. Doesn't sound like Italy is all that great to me."

As of today, Italy is at 58.8, and the US 57.8. 10 deaths/day vs. 1000+ will do that, won't it.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 10:10 AM   #421
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
On July 23, Paul Krugman wrote an op-ed in the NY Times with the title "Why Can’t Trump’s America Be Like Italy?". It was about how Italy, after a very rough start, then really flattened the curve and was starting to reopen. There were many pro-Trump comments saying "Italy has 58 deaths/100,000 and the US has 44. Doesn't sound like Italy is all that great to me."

As of today, Italy is at 58.8, and the US 57.8. 10 deaths/day vs. 1000+ will do that, won't it.
He was thinking of the Italy of the late 30's and early 40's. The one where the trains ran on time and no one died of coronavirus related diseases.
Old 4th September 2020, 10:33 AM   #422
Elagabalus
Philosopher

No! America needs to be more like Denmark!

Denmark good! Sweden BAD! Grrrrrrrrrrrr! We hate Sweden!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:03 AM   #423
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

I was never a big fan of John McCain, disagreed with him on many things including ridiculous endless wars and the lack of success he had in dealing with the VA and our great Vets, but the lowering of our Nations American Flags, and the first class funeral he was given by our....

..Country, had to be approved by me, as President, & I did so without hesitation or complaint. Quite the contrary, I felt it was well deserved. I even sent Air Force One to bring his body, in casket, from Arizona to Washington. It was my honor to do so. Also, I never called..

....John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES. This is more made up Fake News given by disgusting & jealous failures in a disgraceful attempt to influence the 2020 Election!
Such a conceited twit. He said the same thing about john Lewis. As if he could have possibly said no to lying in state in the rotunda.

Re the loser comment, this is all over the net:
"But video from Mr Trump's 2015 campaign shows him calling Mr McCain a "loser" for his defeat in the 2008 presidential race to Barack Obama.

He told an interviewer: "He lost, he let us down... I never liked him as much after that because I don't like losers."

He dismissed the interviewer's protests that Mr McCain was a war hero, retorting: "He is not a war hero... He is a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th September 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:08 AM   #424
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A GREAT HONOR, THANK YOU!
Quote Tweet

National Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
@GLFOP
On behalf of the 355,000 members of the Fraternal Order of Police, we are proud to unanimously endorse @realDonaldTrump for President of the United States. #FOP4Trump
Old 4th September 2020, 11:10 AM   #425
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I suppose that President Trump didn't specifically call John McCain "a loser" - just that he lost
He called him a loser because McCain lost to Obama.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:17 AM   #426
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post

Both Sweden and Italy were hit hard at the start, but have been stable for a long time now. They flattened the curve.

USA will overtake Italy in deaths per capita in a few days.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:18 AM   #427
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Atlantic Magazine is dying, like most magazines, so they make up a fake story in order to gain some relevance. Story already refuted, but this is what we are up against. Just like the Fake Dossier. You fight and and fight, and then people realize it was a total fraud!

Great Jobs Numbers! 1.37 Million Jobs Added In August. Unemployment Rate Falls To 8.4% (Wow, much better than expected!). Broke the 10% level faster and deeper than thought possible.
Woohoo! We're only in a deep recession instead of a full-on depression! #MAGA!
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:21 AM   #428
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Not this year. The absentee ballots will make for a slow count.
Not necessarily, though possible if Trump succeeds in slowing it down. Colorado gets its count done by the next morning.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:29 AM   #429
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Not this year. The absentee ballots will make for a slow count.
I can't see absentee ballot counting taking > 2 months.

With a Trump-delay court challenge maybe. I picture him holding on to the WH balcony with his fingertips.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th September 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:33 AM   #430
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
As of this morning, we're still in step 1 of the "bad news about Trump" playbook. Denial.

I wonder how long until we get to the step where they concede the news is true but...
I suspect the next thing we'll see is a distraction with videos from Harris putting Biden down in the primary debates.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:36 AM   #431
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I suspect the next thing we'll see is a distraction with videos from Harris putting Biden down in the primary debates.
Which is funny, because that is the main reason I am voting for the ticket. I love that energy.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:40 AM   #432
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Which is why I think negativity in debates is a really stupid idea when you're in the same party. For precisely this reason.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:42 AM   #433
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Well, rational persons will.

If the counting in a state were 95% complete and Biden’s lead over Trump was greater than the number of uncounted votes (live, absentee, and mail-in), then any mentally stable folks with a fourth-grade education would know the election for that state is over and the electoral votes can be assigned.

Conclusion:
All this will turn into a *****- show that will be talked about for years. Possibly decades.

We're still talking about McCarthy. I imagine that's the historical road Trump is already on.

I hope in the debates Biden says, "Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?" He can leave out at long last, or maybe put something else there like enough is enough.

He should do it because it will generate news media amplification.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th September 2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:44 AM   #434
Armitage72
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

A GREAT HONOR, THANK YOU!
Quote Tweet

National Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
@GLFOP
On behalf of the 355,000 members of the Fraternal Order of Police, we are proud to unanimously endorse @realDonaldTrump for President of the United States. #FOP4Trump

I was in a union when I was a state employee. With that organization, the union leaders told the members that the union would be endorsing a particular candidate. The rank and file members had no say in the matter.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 11:48 AM   #435
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Another great day for peace with Middle East – Muslim-majority Kosovo and Israel have agreed to normalize ties and establish diplomatic relations. Well-done! More Islamic and Arab nations will follow soon!

Congratulations to @predsednikrs Vucic for announcing the move of Serbia’s Embassy to Jerusalem by July. It is a brave and historic move!

Another day everyone thought would be impossible! Congratulations to @predsednikrs Vucic of Serbia and PM @Avdullah Hoti of Kosovo on committing to #EconomicNormalization! This is a major step forward...

...to bringing prosperity and peace to the Balkans and the world. I am proud to have assisted these leaders!
Israel was at (cold) war with the Balkans?

Who knew?
Old 4th September 2020, 11:55 AM   #436
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Which is why I think negativity in debates is a really stupid idea when you're in the same party. For precisely this reason.
Meh, there is more material from Trump's debates than Biden's. It'll be a wash at worst.
Old 4th September 2020, 01:20 PM   #437
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch. It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!
Old 4th September 2020, 01:21 PM   #438
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Classic Trump move:
1-Out of nowhere, Trump threatens X (bad thing).
2-Public backlash against possible bad thing X begins to build.
3-Trump loudly proclaims 'X will not happen under my watch!'
4-MAGAs praise great and mighty Trump for saving us from X and blame Obama, Hilary or Biden.
Old 4th September 2020, 01:23 PM   #439
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump ordered the cancelation of Stars and Stripes and is now acting like he’s the one saving them. He’s like the arsonist who starts fires just to save people.
Old 4th September 2020, 01:45 PM   #440
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We're still down 11.5 million jobs from February, you moron.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics