IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 01:57 PM   #441
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Just an update: The right-wing response to this report so far

1) It's all fake news
2) BENGHAZI!!!!!

(seriously, the claim is that his comments are ok because of Benghazi)
Update: Fox News as confirmed the story, so it's no longer fake news.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 02:00 PM   #442
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Atlantic Magazine is dying, like most magazines, so they make up a fake story in order to gain some relevance. Story already refuted, but this is what we are up against. Just like the Fake Dossier. You fight and and fight, and then people realize it was a total fraud!
Get 'em, Mr. President. The only anonymous source I believe is Q.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 02:29 PM   #443
Armitage72
Philosopher

"Thought we forgot?"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 02:38 PM   #444
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Update: Fox News as confirmed the story, so it's no longer fake news.
So now it's to the next stage in the "Trump did something bad" news cycle...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 02:55 PM   #445
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
So now it's to the next stage in the "Trump did something bad" news cycle...
Is it butteremails?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 03:16 PM   #446
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Yes, yes, but still you have to concede that Trump was sent by God.
Why? God hardening hearts around America would actually be a long awaited explanatino to how the trumpkins could elect him, and stand by him no matter what, but it's not like there are Isrealites held captive in America. What did they do to deserve this punishment?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 03:23 PM   #447
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
"Thought we forgot?"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
There's an old Trump tweet for every occasion. They age like fine wine.

Originally Posted by President BoneSpurs
The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch. It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!
"I prefers magazines that weren't cancelled, okay?!"
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:40 PM   #448
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News reporter confirms his disdain for the military. Especially the dead ones.
Old 4th September 2020, 04:53 PM   #449
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

John Kelly needs to speak. He needs to confirm if this happened, which I think it did. It's very much in line with Trump's character and his past behavior. Trump has attacked Kelly and disparaged him. Kelly owes Trump nothing. He owes the American people the truth.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:54 PM   #450
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Fox News reporter confirms his disdain for the military. Especially the dead ones.
You mean another person makes claims without presenting their evidence.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:55 PM   #451
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You mean another person makes claims without presenting their evidence.
Oh, come on. This is freaking FOX, not some MSNBC.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:58 PM   #452
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Doesn't matter who it is. My expectation is that those making a claim present their evidence.

ETA: I admit this is a luxury. This claim will not change my actions on anything, so I can afford to be conservative.

But if I were to guess, you could also afford to be conservative.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 4th September 2020 at 05:00 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:59 PM   #453
BobTheCoward
Banned

Question

John Kelly needs to speak. He needs to confirm if this happened, which I think it did. It's very much in line with Trump's character and his past behavior. Trump has attacked Kelly and disparaged him. Kelly owes Trump nothing. He owes the American people the truth.
I dont feel owed the details of a private conversation. I have no claim on it.
Old 4th September 2020, 05:13 PM   #454
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Atlantic Magazine is dying, like most magazines, so they make up a fake story in order to gain some relevance. Story already refuted, but this is what we are up against. Just like the Fake Dossier. You fight and and fight, and then people realize it was a total fraud!

Great Jobs Numbers! 1.37 Million Jobs Added In August. Unemployment Rate Falls To 8.4% (Wow, much better than expected!). Broke the 10% level faster and deeper than thought possible.
Weak tea on the rebuttal, Donnie. If it was really 'fake news' you'd be screaming about a lawsuit. But you won't, because discovery will lay bare the truth.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 05:15 PM   #455
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but that’s you.
Old 4th September 2020, 05:17 PM   #456
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Great. I do feel owed the truth on this.
Old 4th September 2020, 05:17 PM   #457
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Note who you're talking to.
Old 4th September 2020, 05:17 PM   #458
BobTheCoward
Banned

Great. I do feel owed the truth on this.
Why? Based on what principle?
Old 4th September 2020, 05:19 PM   #459
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Note who you're talking to.
Noted. I will not take that step into the deep and dark abyss.
Old 4th September 2020, 05:20 PM   #460
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Some of you better hope that reincarnation is malarkey. Or if it's real, that you don't come back as a fish. That wouldn't go well.
Old 4th September 2020, 05:37 PM   #461
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Some of you better hope that reincarnation is malarkey. Or if it's real, that you don't come back as a fish. That wouldn't go well.
OK....that one went right past me like an arrow.....
Old 4th September 2020, 06:08 PM   #462
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So the defense now is that it's not that he hates the military, he's just an *******

BTW, they admit that he is lying in his denial
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 06:14 PM   #463
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

So the defense now is that it's not that he hates the military, he's just an *******

He is the Birtherdent he was born to Lie, some of his lies even break the laws of physics!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 06:57 PM   #464
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
"Thought we forgot?"

I AGREE
I love it. I wonder if it is getting to any of the Republicans that aren't part of Trump's cult?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:09 PM   #465
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Link? Who is saying what?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:13 PM   #466
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's good. Is it getting any airtime?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:14 PM   #467
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I'm seeing election day listed as Nov. 3, myself.
The date I'm referring to came up in a post where I was responding to when the GOP will turn on Trump. I stated it would be the day after he loses, Nov. 4.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:30 PM   #468
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
The date I'm referring to came up in a post where I was responding to when the GOP will turn on Trump. I stated it would be the day after he loses, Nov. 4.
He'll still be president until the next one gets sworn in. A president can do a lot of things in almost three months. Pardons. Appointments. Firings. Executive orders. He could do a lot of damage if he were a nasty-minded maniac with a penchant for holding grudges.

Who wants to place bets on Trump being mature, dignified, and sane in the face of losing something he really, really wants and really, really feels he deserves?
Old 4th September 2020, 07:32 PM   #469
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I do wonder on a long enough time frame if the "lame duck" period is another thing we need to address and see if it needs adjustment.
Old 4th September 2020, 07:33 PM   #470
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Bit late, innit?

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:39 PM   #471
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody seems to recollect this: ”You’re a bunch of dopes and babies!

In short: Of course he referred to military dead as losers. The surprise would be if he managed to never do so.
Old 4th September 2020, 07:40 PM   #472
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

OK....that one went right past me like an arrow.....
I refer to the eager and willing bait swallowers.
Old 4th September 2020, 07:50 PM   #473
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

In a 2018 WH meeting concerning military parades, Trump asked staff not to include wounded vets on the grounds spectators would feel uncomfortable in the presence of amputees, "Nobody wants to see that," he said.

When McCain died in 2018, Trump told his senior staff, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the event, "We're not going to support that that losers's funeral," and became furious according to witnesses when he saw flags lowered to half-staff. "What the **** are we doing that for? Guy was a ******* loser." the president told aides.

This according to the Atlantic article by Jeffrey Goldberg, and confirmed by the Washington Post and Fox News.

Or in other words Commander Bonespurs, you are a disrespectful, lying, cheating, sociopathic, clueless, vain piece of ****. And these are your good qualities.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:56 PM   #474
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He'll still be president until the next one gets sworn in. A president can do a lot of things in almost three months. Pardons. Appointments. Firings. Executive orders. He could do a lot of damage if he were a nasty-minded maniac with a penchant for holding grudges.

Who wants to place bets on Trump being mature, dignified, and sane in the face of losing something he really, really wants and really, really feels he deserves?
No argument from me. I've stated here - maybe even in this thread - that the period from the election to the inauguration is liable to be one of the worst political **** storms ever seen. But I still believe that starting Nov. 4 the GOP will be distancing themselves from Trump in very notable ways. I also expect Fox to start rewriting history in cahoots with the GOP.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 08:31 PM   #475
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trump
There is a profoundly simple way to determine the truth.

In Trump’s next press conference say “I want to give you an opportunity to silence your critics. They say you called the military members who died during war losers and suckers. Would you tell us how you really feel towards America’s soldiers, sailors, and marines who died defending Europe?”

Only a chucklehead or a sociopath could fumble a softball question like that.
Old 4th September 2020, 09:12 PM   #476
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Why? Based on what principle?
On the principle of sticking up for "fallen heroes" like his own son, and not enabling this piece of **** who presents a grave danger to national security.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:18 PM   #477
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you to our wonderful First Lady!
Quote Tweet

Melania Trump
@FLOTUS
US government account
.@TheAtlantic story is not true. It has become a very dangerous time when anonymous sources are believed above all else, & no one knows their motivation. This is not journalism - It is activism. And it is a disservice to the people of our great nation.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:19 PM   #478
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Sarah Huckabee Sanders
@SarahHuckabee
The Atlantic story on @realDonaldTrump is total BS. I was actually there and one of the people part of the discussion - this never happened. I have sat in the room when our President called family members after their sons were killed in action and it was heart-wrenching...

These were some of the moments I witnessed the President show his heart and demonstrate how much he respects the selfless and courageous men and women of our military. I am disgusted by this false attack.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 09:21 PM   #479
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

J. Hogan Gidley
@JHoganGidley
Thanks to @realDonaldTrump's economic policies and leadership, America added 1.4 million jobs last month!

The United States has now recovered almost HALF (48%) of the jobs lost during the China virus shutdown.

President Trump re-built this economy once - he's doing it again!!!
Old 4th September 2020, 09:22 PM   #480
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well, while we can expect some new diversion from Trump's disdain for our troops, it's not like the previous problems went away.

Congresswoman blocked from touring mail facility by Postal Service police

Quote:
U.S. Postal Service police barred Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz from entering two mail sorting facilities in Florida in the early morning hours on Friday, threatening to escort her from the property if she didn't leave.

The Florida Democrat, who sits on the House Oversight Committee, said she aimed to inspect a mail plant in Opa-locka and Northwest Miami-Dade. Wasserman Schultz said union members told her about conditions at the processing centers and shared pictures that showed pallets of undelivered mail marked with a receipt date of "July 23."
While the Post Office claims excessively short notice as the reason - that really doesn't hold water, especially given context -

Quote:
As a member of the Oversight Committee, Wasserman Schultz said it is her job to inspect the Postal Service and its facilities. She said DeJoy has already "obstructed the committee" by not providing documents and data her committee has requested.

Sudden new requirements for "lengthy visitation protocols" that she did not have to follow when visiting facility earlier this year, she said, only served as further obstruction.

“There are no children, defense secrets or sick patients behind those doors," Wasserman Schultz said. "I’m perfectly capable of observing the work being done at a safe social distance, which I did without a lengthy delay or incident earlier this year. Denying Congress access to the facilities, is denying the vital public oversight of our mail system.”
That, and that the Post Office previously...

Quote:
Rep. Brenda Lawrence and Sen. Gary Peters, both Michigan Democrats, visited a similar facility in Michigan last month. An aide to Peters said Friday that local union leaders had told the two members of Congress that the plant had been intentionally cleared of delayed mail because of their impending arrival.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th September 2020 at 09:27 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics