IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 01:04 PM   #681
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's not Nihilism, it's Eschatology.
And it meshes perfectly with Trumpism.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:11 PM   #682
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Congratulations to the U.S. Marshals on a job well done in Portland. LAW & ORDER!
Given there are 2 more pages I've yet to read, I've probably been ninja'd

Suspect in Portland killing of far-right protester 'shot dead' by US marshals

IOW they killed the guy that killed a far-right demonstrator. And Trump Tweets that. Disgusting isn't sleazy enough to describe that slime.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:12 PM   #683
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I think that it's long since been demonstrated that nihilism has a very heavy influence on the Trump side. Which... honestly isn't a surprise reaction to GOP propaganda and efforts. Fear and hate takes a toll on any and everyone (though conservatives physically measurably more, at last check, given that their brains tend react notably more quickly and strongly to the stimuli) and applying a dirty bandage over festering wounds isn't solving problems, even if you can dupe people into thinking that it helps.
Perhaps I am being too cynical, but I think that should read “selling them a dirty bandage to apply over festering wounds.”
Maybe even “insist that the whole concept of festering wounds is a myth started by the Chinese.“

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's not Nihilism, it's Eschatology.
And it meshes perfectly with Trumpism.
Exactly.
Why should we be stewards of the Earth if we and the other real Christians will be raptured in 2-25 years?

Last edited by Ladewig; 6th September 2020 at 01:17 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:15 PM   #684
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Ignore post, please.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:17 PM   #685
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi said she got “set up” by the owner (a very good one) of a beauty parlor. If so, how will she do in negotiations against President Xi of China, President Putin of Russia, or Kim Jong Un of North Korea. Not so well, I suspect, but far better than Joe Hiden’ would do!
Is Pelosi running for POTUS?

Oh wait, isn't that a QAnon CT?

Notice he combines his annoyance that he's been accused of really ******* up relations and negotiations with two of those leaders and of being conned by the third.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:20 PM   #686
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Although the ad was responding to statements Trump himself made, which were later walked back because he was talking out of his ass. The ad does ignore the part where aides explained that Trump wasn't talking about an actual plan when he said “On the payroll tax, we’ll be terminating the payroll tax. After I hopefully get elected, we’ll be terminating the payroll tax.”
So you have to read past the headline?
Old 6th September 2020, 01:24 PM   #687
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Retweeted
Kevin McCarthy
@GOPLeader
Joe Biden likes to say “No miracle is coming.” But it’s not a miracle.
It’s SCIENCE.
And thankfully we have a president who believes in it and launched Operation #WarpSpeed so that America can develop a vaccine in record time.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:29 PM   #688
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Trump: "See, there's some very fine people on both sides."
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:31 PM   #689
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
He's been stealing art from US embassy in Paris.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/...allen-soldiers
From Slate: Trump Took Art From Ambassador’s Home in Paris, But Pieces Were Fakes and Replicas
Quote:
The art was reportedly worth some $750,000 and the White House may have called them “historical” but the truth is that they were fakes and replicas. The figurines that now sit in the Oval Office are from the early 20th century by an artist who was trying to claim they were from the 16th or 17 centuries. The figurines have little value and are really “20th century fakes of wannabe 17th century sculptures,” according to an art dealer. The Franklin bust and portrait were also copies of the originals. White House officials ended up borrowing the original portrait from the National Portrait Gallery and hanging it up in the Oval Office rather than the replica Trump brought back from France.
If Trump said they belong in the People's House then you know he didn't realize they were fakes. Yep, he knows now, you can bet he made excuses.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th September 2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:37 PM   #690
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
No, not really. Nihilists are almost always atheists who are more often liberal than the average American.
Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove breach of rule 12

Last edited by Agatha; 6th September 2020 at 02:27 PM.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:38 PM   #691
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Louis DeJoy is in trouble for getting employees to make donations to the GOP in return for a pay bonus.

Washington Post reported DeJoy’s decade-long scheme of getting his employees into donating to the Republican party, and then illegally reimbursing them through company bonuses.

North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein from bringing a criminal case on state charges. Stein issued this statement today:

Quote:
My statement on today’s @washingtonpost story “Louis DeJoy’s rise as GOP fundraiser was powered by contributions from co. workers who were later reimbursed, former employees say”:
It is against the law to directly or indirectly reimburse someone for a political contribution. Any credible allegations of such actions merit investigation by the appropriate state and federal authorities

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 6th September 2020 at 01:41 PM.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 02:27 PM   #692
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

No, not really. Nihilists are almost always atheists who are more often liberal than the average American.
Some varieties, perhaps. I admit that I'm using the term a little loosely, though, and have no problem with agreeing to use a more accurate term, if you'd like to suggest such?

If that's so then who is anxious about the earth being inhabitable in 30 years because of climate change?
Nice try at a gotcha. It works at a very superficial level, of course, but not really much past that on real examination. To tie this together with the previous statement, though... when, for example, big fossil fuel providers have *known* with great certainty about their role in climate change for longer than most people have been alive and much about the consequences of such, and their leadership, in libertarian fashion, decided that it's not as important as increasing profits right then - to the point that they've spent big for a long time on creating and sowing disinformation and doubt to prevent action that would reduce immediate profits, but also help make things much more sustainable, that's a problem. When that works, as it has far better on the "conservative side" of things for a number of reasons, of course there will be less alarm about a problem that isn't being recognized as real.

That's good to hear, twitter radicals shouldn't be able to force workers to take their "all white men are evil" course.
If they actually were such, you might have a point.

Last edited by Aridas; 6th September 2020 at 02:43 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 02:38 PM   #693
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here's a link not paywalled:

Mother Jones: Report: Louis DeJoy Used Bonuses to Reimburse Employees for Donations to GOP Campaigns
Quote:
A bombshell investigation in the Washington Post is shedding new light Trump appointee Louis DeJoy’s rise to prominence as a Republican fundraiser prior to his May 2020 appointment as US Postmaster General. According to the report, DeJoy pressured employees of his former business, New Breed Logistics, to donate to GOP candidates; he then would reimburse contributions using bonuses.

At least seven New Breed employees spoke to the Post, five of whom said they were pressured by DeJoy or his aides to give to Republicans and attend fundraisers. Two others reportedly said that at DeJoy’s direction, bonus payments were “boosted” to offset the cost of the donations. Campaign finance records show his employees gave large amounts of money to candidates, including George W. Bush, Rudy Giuliani, Sen. John McCain, and former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory, according to the investigation:
And TPM: Ex-Staffers At DeJoy’s Former Business Say He Reimbursed Them For Donations To GOPers
Quote:
Reimbursing employees for political contributions is a violation of North Carolina and federal election laws. ...

We gave him the money, and then he reciprocated by giving us big bonuses,” David Young, DeJoy’s longtime director of human resources, told the Post. “When we got our bonuses, let’s just say they were bigger, they exceeded expectations — and that covered the tax and everything else.”
That's not just some disgruntled employees.

But if you expect anyone from this over-the-top in-plain-sight corruption to actually do anything about it, you will likely be disappointed.
Quote:
North Carolina attorney general Josh Stein issued a statement following the Post’s report, which reiterated that it’s unlawful to reimburse people for making a political contributions, but declined to say whether an investigation into DeJoy’s alleged reimbursements to former employees will be launched.
DeJoy knows he can be pardoned and many many Republicans are in it neck deep themselves.

BUT AG Josh Stein is a Democrat and DeJoy can be charged under state law, no pardon, so we'll see.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th September 2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 6th September 2020, 04:14 PM   #694
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Here's a link not paywalled:

Mother Jones: Report: Louis DeJoy Used Bonuses to Reimburse Employees for Donations to GOP Campaigns

And TPM: Ex-Staffers At DeJoy’s Former Business Say He Reimbursed Them For Donations To GOPersThat's not just some disgruntled employees.

But if you expect anyone from this over-the-top in-plain-sight corruption to actually do anything about it, you will likely be disappointed.DeJoy knows he can be pardoned and many many Republicans are in it neck deep themselves.

BUT AG Josh Stein is a Democrat and DeJoy can be charged under state law, no pardon, so we'll see.
Donnie won't be pleased that donations were made to McCain.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 04:38 PM   #695
Aridas

Hmm. Well, here's another blow to some of the GOP's attack lines.

Anita Hill vows to vote for Joe Biden and work with him on gender issues

Elsewhere... Rick Wilson comments...

Quote:
So, let me get this right:

Trump hired an Obama impersonator so he could berate him and tell him "You're fired" because he's totally normal, stable person without a roaring void of malevolent narcissism where a human soul would normally be found, yes?
Seems to be referring to this.

Oh, and...

One of the statements in a lawsuit is now that Epstein showed a 14-year-old girl To Trump, saying "This is a good one, right?" and Trump smiled and nodded.

Last edited by Aridas; 6th September 2020 at 04:42 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 05:41 PM   #696
rdaneel
Illuminator

Just saw this one from George Takei and liked it.

Overheard: Can we call the swamped Trump boat people "Proud Buoys" from now on?
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 05:45 PM   #697
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Just saw this one from George Takei and liked it.

Overheard: Can we call the swamped Trump boat people "Proud Buoys" from now on?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 06:11 PM   #698
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Washington Post reported DeJoy’s decade-long scheme of getting his employees into donating to the Republican party, and then illegally reimbursing them through company bonuses.
Link to original story:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...1c4_story.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 07:54 PM   #699
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump retweets

Andrew Surabian
@Surabees
It says everything about how broken the media is that after @JeffreyGoldberg helped lie this nation into the Iraq War, he wasn't run out of journalism in embarrassment, but rather given promotions to continue his shoddy "journalism" unabated. Our "elites" constantly fail upwards.

Not only does @JeffreyGoldberg have low editorial standards, he's long been a propagandist for the Military Industrial Complex.
He pushed their lies to get us into the Iraq War & is pushing their easily debunked lies about Trump, b/c unlike Biden, Trump won't support their wars.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 07:55 PM   #700
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
Donald Trump Jr.
@DonaldJTrumpJr
Thousands of Americans died and even more came home wounded because career politicians like Joe Biden voted to send them to Iraq!!!
Quote Tweet

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Donald Trump in 2007 on the terrible cost of the Iraq War:
"Nobody talks about the soldiers that are coming back with no arms and no legs... The most beautiful people I've ever seen"
Old 6th September 2020, 07:56 PM   #701
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A massive Disinformation Campaign is going on by the Democrats, their partner, the Fake News Media, & Big Tech. They create false stories and then push them like has never been done before, even beyond the 2016 Campaign. It imperils our Country, and must stop now. Victory 2020!
Old 6th September 2020, 08:25 PM   #702
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

A massive Disinformation Campaign is going on by the Democrats, their partner, the Fake News Media, & Big Tech. They create false stories and then push them like has never been done before, even beyond the 2016 Campaign. It imperils our Country, and must stop now. Victory 2020!
I suppose DJT could be aware of the 1890s, Pulitzer, Hearst, and Yelliw Journalism, and that he is simply ignoring all that because he knows most Americans don’t know American history.

And I suppose DJT doesn’t know jack about any US or world history that is not related in some way to his properties.

Every day it is a challenge to determine which of his traits annoys me the most

ignorance
stupidity
self-centeredness
contempt for evidence
petulance
sexism
racism
hypocrisy
vanity
the lengths to which he goes to avoid even the appearance of a mistake
Old 6th September 2020, 08:41 PM   #703
Lupus
Scholar

Some varieties, perhaps. I admit that I'm using the term a little loosely, though, and have no problem with agreeing to use a more accurate term, if you'd like to suggest such?
My answer is "Whatever meaning were you trying to use".

Nice try at a gotcha. It works at a very superficial level, of course, but not really much past that on real examination. To tie this together with the previous statement, though... when, for example, big fossil fuel providers have *known* with great certainty about their role in climate change for longer than most people have been alive and much about the consequences of such, and their leadership, in libertarian fashion, decided that it's not as important as increasing profits right then - to the point that they've spent big for a long time on creating and sowing disinformation and doubt to prevent action that would reduce immediate profits, but also help make things much more sustainable, that's a problem. When that works, as it has far better on the "conservative side" of things for a number of reasons, of course there will be less alarm about a problem that isn't being recognized as real.
But liberals do think it's real though, so it still works as a way liberals are driven by fear. For hate, Trump and every republican current president are good examples. I put the reason why in the dedicated global warming thread.
Lupus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 11:07 PM   #704
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Cough up a new one, Donnie! This one, or a variation thereof, reached its expiration date a long time ago. Use some imagination.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:32 PM   #705
Lurch
Master Poster

Trump retweets

Andrew Surabian
@Surabees
It says everything about how broken the media is that after @JeffreyGoldberg helped lie this nation into the Iraq War, he wasn't run out of journalism in embarrassment, but rather given promotions to continue his shoddy "journalism" unabated. Our "elites" constantly fail upwards.
Sometimes yer right, Andrew. Trump claims to be of the 'elite', and sure as hell he "failed upwards."
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 11:43 PM   #706
Lurch
Master Poster

But liberals do think it's real though, so it still works as a way liberals are driven by fear. For hate, Trump and every republican current president are good examples. I put the reason why in the dedicated global warming thread.
I suppose fear of vast tracts of the planet becoming uninhabitable or unfit for agriculture is more irrational than fear of brown-skinned people.

Is a 'leader' who is demonstrably in the pocket of a foreign power, who is not hauled before a court of law because of the protection afforded by a DOJ memo, not deserving of hate? A man is judged by the company he keeps; practically all in Trump's orbit are criminals and grifters. And look at the number of former associates, etc., who got to see him up close and are now spilling the tea. I guess *everything* uncomfortably negative about the scumbag is "fake news", eh?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 11:55 PM   #707
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Cough up a new one, Donnie! This one, or a variation thereof, reached its expiration date a long time ago. Use some imagination.
Pretty much every word Donnie one note uses fits that definition.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:58 PM   #708
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm pretty sure the party of fear mongering starts with an R not a D.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:02 AM   #709
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

RE: Trump's comments about fallen soldiers.

I'm guessing that the unnamed sources were triggered by the defunding of Stars& Stripes.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:39 AM   #710
Aridas

Which is entirely unhelpful. Moving on, then, because neither of us seems interested in doing the work to clarify things further.

But liberals do think it's real though, so it still works as a way liberals are driven by fear.
Hmm? It looks like you are indeed fighting a claim that wasn't made, then.

Fear is one of the major motivators of humans, in general, yes. However, not all humans are equally affected by it, with both positives and negatives to varying levels of effect. I am certainly not arguing that liberals are unaffected by fear, so your line of argument is entirely off the mark.

With that said, it might be helpful for you to review things like Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes to understand what I was saying more in depth. For example, when I say physically measurable, part of that is that the size of the amygdala, which is heavily involved in dealing with fear, tends to be notably larger in self-identified conservatives than in self-described liberals.

To be clear, again, this is being said in a neutral fashion. Everyone is different in a number of ways and we all have various positives and negatives that make us more or less suited to handle different situations. That conservatives especially react more strongly and quickly to perceived direct and immediate threats than liberals is not a bad thing in and of itself, but is much more easily exploited by unsavory actors to push fears, rational and irrational, (and associated claims to the fears when one isn't thinking as rationally) that benefit the unsavory actors in some way. Liberals aren't immune to such, of course, but the hurdle tends to be notably higher, which tends to change the balance to notably fewer irrational fears compared to rational fears, with the note that some rational fears may not pass the hurdle as well, given that it's higher.

Last edited by Aridas; 7th September 2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:33 AM   #711
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
https://twitter.com/Jerri_Lynn25/sta...525892097?s=19

I don't even care if it's real or not.
It's not (the second one anyway), but it's an apt metaphore.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 02:42 AM   #712
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted in 2013

So, lets get this right. Steve Jobs dies and leaves his wife everything-billions of dollars. Now his wife has a boyfriend (lover). Oh Steve!
Old 7th September 2020, 02:43 AM   #713
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Seems his disapproval of the former Mrs Jobs is not something new.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:51 AM   #714
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump Tweeted in 2013

So, lets get this right. Steve Jobs dies and leaves his wife everything-billions of dollars. Now his wife has a boyfriend (lover). Oh Steve!
What is this even about?

Did Trump think it's ok to cheat on your current partner, as he regularly did, but not ok to have a new partner after your husband/wife dies?

Last edited by Firestone; 7th September 2020 at 02:52 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 02:52 AM   #715
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Probably more concerned with her getting all the money.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:54 AM   #716
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Obviously Jobs should have given the money to Trump.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 02:57 AM   #717
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
No. Because I just don't vote for sexist or racist people.

And both Trump and Biden have shown both traits.
If you can't tell the difference between Trump's overt sexism and Biden's supposed sexism then the world is grateful that you don't vote in the USA.

If you're younger than, say, 96, or have children, then the difference between Trump and Biden on climate change is sufficient to swamp any consideration of sexism so, again, the world is grateful that you don't vote in the USA.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 03:04 AM   #718
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Quick question:
Are we days away from seeing Trump accuse Biden of calling dead soldiers suckers and losers?
Old 7th September 2020, 03:08 AM   #719
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
What is this even about?

Did Trump think it's ok to cheat on your current partner, as he regularly did, but not ok to have a new partner after your husband/wife dies?
I think it is less about the cheating and more about the money. It is not too unreasonable to assume that in Trump’s mind, a widow sharing inherited money with a boyfriend is the worst form of cuckolding there is.
Old 7th September 2020, 03:09 AM   #720
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11

Joe Biden was the most corrupt Vice President in American history.
Spiro Agnew would like to register an objection.

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Finally able to share!
I’m excited to announce that my new podcast THE CHARLIE KIRK SHOW launches this Wednesday exclusively on @ApplePodcasts

I’ll announce my INCREDIBLE first guest tomorrow!
I‘d be honored if you were one of my first subscribers!
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...w/id1460600818
Yep, just another grifter trying to con the deplorables out of their money.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics