IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 02:05 PM   #761
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trumpism 101

Screenshot_20200907-230652_Twitter.jpg
Old 7th September 2020, 02:11 PM   #762
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Update on a slightly old matter.

Jamal Khashoggi murder: Saudi court overturns five death sentences

7-20 years, supposedly, now. Ahh, the joys of pardoning the people who committed brutal murder at your orders. Not unexpected in the least, really.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:52 PM   #763
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Trumpism 101

Attachment 43013
Wow. I've read something to the effect that Woods is, literally and technically, a genius- aced his SATs, scored like 180 on an IQ test, etc.; and I don't think I've ever seen a better demonstration of how intelligence is not a consistent predictor of being right on any given issue, even when being wrong requires being cataclysmically stupid about it. I dunno, James- how do you think Biden knew "months in advance" about the possibility of a pandemic that the US wasn't prepared for? And here's another question- why didn't Trump know months in advance? It doesn't require your implication of conspiracy to understand that one administration was paying attention to the actual job, and the other thinks the entire job is "ratings" and self-congratulation.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 03:21 PM   #764
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Wow. I've read something to the effect that Woods is, literally and technically, a genius- aced his SATs, scored like 180 on an IQ test, etc.; and I don't think I've ever seen a better demonstration of how intelligence is not a consistent predictor of being right on any given issue, even when being wrong requires being cataclysmically stupid about it. I dunno, James- how do you think Biden knew "months in advance" about the possibility of a pandemic that the US wasn't prepared for? And here's another question- why didn't Trump know months in advance? It doesn't require your implication of conspiracy to understand that one administration was paying attention to the actual job, and the other thinks the entire job is "ratings" and self-congratulation.
Absolutely! Having a high IQ is not a good indicator that they are right on any given issue, particularly political and religious. I know someone who belongs to MENSA who is so blinded by personal bias confirmation that s/he accepts unproven pseudoscience over actual forensic evidence.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:01 PM   #765
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Don't know if it's been posted yet, apologies if it has:

"Trump insisted he hasn't said a vaccine could be ready before November, although he said so repeatedly and as recently as Friday.

The president then proceeded to say what he had just denied ever saying.

“What I said is by the end of the year, but I think it could even be sooner that that,” he said about a vaccine. “It could be during the month of October, actually could be before November.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgdhp
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:19 PM   #766
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

No wonder they are putting stamps on Business Reply Mail (postage is suppose to be paid by the business).

Got my latest Trump survey the other day. The envelope had an address like window but it was over to the left and the address was printed to the right on the envelope itself. Prominently displayed through the window were stamps affixed to an envelope. That envelope appeared to be a normal, but upside-down, Business Reply Mail envelop. It was the standard 'number registered just to you' donation solicitation 'survey'. Least they didn't try to portray this one as a census. It had the usual 'if you can't donate at least send $15 to process your survey response. The usual stuff but the new and hilarious thing were the stamps, that not only were intentionally displayed through the window of the closed envelope but were repeatably refereed to in the enclosed material. Several repetitions of the fact that the return envelope was 'live stamped', ensuring a rapid return, were made. It was three one cent stamps, so even the live stamping wasn't that alive. On a Business Reply Mail envelope no less. Now it's not unheard of for someone donating to put stamps on the Business Reply Mail envelope they are sending the donation in, to help deffer the cost of the postage for that organization. However, they put these on themselves and made a point of it both in the initial visual presentation and in the documentation, but could only scrape together three measly cents for their showboating. It'd be a farcical joke if this three penny opera wasn't the current presidents campaign.

Last edited by The Man; 7th September 2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:36 PM   #767
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Proclamation on Labor Day, 2020
The American workforce is the best in the world and, since day one of my Administration, I have been standing up for the American worker.

I expect that the only times Trump has ever stood up for an American worker was when one of them was sliding his chair back for him after he finished dinner.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:37 PM   #768
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Jena Griswold Colorado Secretary of State Tweeted

@JenaGriswold
In Colorado, we take double voting seriously and refer all suspected cases for legal enforcement. If it makes sense, I will include @realDonaldTrump in the referral for prosecution. He may not have presidential immunity anymore depending on the election.

Oh boy.

She's definitely gonna get a "nasty" for that.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:43 PM   #769
Cain
Straussian

Trumpism 101

Attachment 43013
You know Democrats are adrift when a washed-up Hollywood actor known for preying on underage girls can see right through the party line.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:44 PM   #770
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

deleted
Old 7th September 2020, 04:52 PM   #771
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Don't know if it's been posted yet, apologies if it has:

"Trump insisted he hasn't said a vaccine could be ready before November, although he said so repeatedly and as recently as Friday.

The president then proceeded to say what he had just denied ever saying.

“What I said is by the end of the year, but I think it could even be sooner that that,” he said about a vaccine. “It could be during the month of October, actually could be before November.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgdhp
Right. Just like he never called McCain a 'loser' even though he's on video doing exactly that.

From today's presser. All caps are from the transcript. I just c & p'd:

Quote:
Reporter: YOUR POINT IS WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS THAT THEY ARE SAYING IT FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES. YOU HAVE ASSERTED REPEATEDLY A VACCINE WILL BE ON THE MARKET BEFORE AN ELECTION.

Trump: I SAID I THE END OF THE YEAR. YOU ARE NOT QUOTING ME ACCURATELY. I SAID VACCINE WILL BE ON THE MARKET BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR, BUT THEY MAY EVEN BE ON THE MARKET, THEY MAY EVEN BE FULLY DEVELOPED, TESTED -- WE HAVE 30,000 PEOPLE AND JUST ONE VACCINE UNDER TEST IN VERY HIGHLY INFECTED AREAS, SO WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD RESULT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER VERY SOON. SO I DIDN'T SAY WHAT YOU SAID. I SAID BY THE END OF THE YEAR, BUT I THINK IT COULD EVEN BE SOONER THAN THAT. IT COULD BE DURING THE MONTH OF OCTOBER. IT COULD BE BEFORE NOVEMBER.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?475538...ews-conference

On Sunday, Aug. 6:
When asked on Geraldo Rivera's radio show if a vaccine could be ready by Nov. 3, Trump said, "I think in some cases, yes, possible before, but right around that time."
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...d-election-day
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:57 PM   #772
Cain
Straussian

Every Trump Bot on Twitter:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:59 PM   #773
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Oh boy.

She's definitely gonna get a "nasty" for that.
And her very own new nasty nickname! I think all Dems should make up badges with their Trump bestowed nasty nicknames and embrace them as badges of honor. Turn them right around on him. That would really piss him off.
Old 7th September 2020, 05:24 PM   #774
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Right. Just like he never called McCain a 'loser' even though he's on video doing exactly that.

From today's presser. All caps are from the transcript. I just c & p'd:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475538...ews-conference

On Sunday, Aug. 6:
When asked on Geraldo Rivera's radio show if a vaccine could be ready by Nov. 3, Trump said, "I think in some cases, yes, possible before, but right around that time."
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...d-election-day
Hmm. It's the most uncharitable thought, I know, but perhaps he's not thinking of an election in terms of November? That he really believes he'll be able to push it out to next year instead.
Old 7th September 2020, 05:52 PM   #775
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I know I shouldn't say this but part of me really wants Biden (or a Biden approved minion, hell, even Bernie) to troll the **** out of James Woods.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 06:00 PM   #776
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Hmm. It's the most uncharitable thought, I know, but perhaps he's not thinking of an election in terms of November? That he really believes he'll be able to push it out to next year instead.
Operative words of your thought are the actual situation. Donny's brain is alphabet spaghetti, well overcooked.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 06:58 PM   #777
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

That's great!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 07:05 PM   #778
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Doesn’t 180 represent 5.3 standard deviations above the mean?
Wouldn’t that be like 1 in 10,000,000?

ETA
no. Wait.
I got something wrong here.

Last edited by Ladewig; 7th September 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 07:14 PM   #779
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I AGREE
Perfect.
Old 7th September 2020, 07:15 PM   #780
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My late father-in-law claimed he had an IQ of 180. I told him an online IQ test doesn't count. He was not pleased.
Old 7th September 2020, 07:28 PM   #781
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

That and there was a news story the day before about our unpreparedness.

Linked in the tweet.

A quite stunning display of ignorance.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 07:54 PM   #782
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again we're just supposed to believe that the entire world, including countries we aren't exactly on the best terms with, are just going along with the "Covid Hoax" in order to screw with the American election?
Old 7th September 2020, 08:47 PM   #783
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again we're just supposed to believe that the entire world, including countries we aren't exactly on the best terms with, are just going along with the "Covid Hoax" in order to screw with the American election?
Yes, yes you are. The Hoax is the final step to set in motion the British reclamation of the colonies. Trump was our ace card, it wasn't the Russians who ensured his victory, it was us.

In two months time, you will see the Union Jack flying above the White House. Assuming we don't burn it down first.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 09:32 PM   #784
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

All the conspiracies are connected, man. There's a master plan to keep us guessing by only allowing a few at a time to be discussed. The parts they hide from us would explain the inconsistencies they use to discredit conspiracy theories. It's scary and ingenious!

Did...did I just blow your mind?

*phkkeeeewww*

:9
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 10:05 PM   #785
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Hmm? Looks like Trump went after the military a bit publically now.

Short summation -

Quote:
To recap:

Trump accuses Pentagon leaders of warmongering for military contractors

Glenn Greenwald tacitly defends Trump by citing Eisenhower

Trump overtly defends himself by retweeting Greenwald

Neither mention Trump appointed a military contractor to run the Pentagon
Old 7th September 2020, 10:34 PM   #786
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Starting to get VERY high marks in our handling of the Coronavirus (China Virus), especially when compared to other countries and areas of the world. Now the Vaccines (Plus) are coming, and fast!
From whom? Where is this group of judges who grade national responses to public health crisis?

The polling data suggests that Americans think Trump is ******* the neighbor's dog on this one.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/
Old 7th September 2020, 10:35 PM   #787
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
From whom? Where is this group of judges who grade national responses to public health crisis?

The polling data suggests that Americans think Trump is ******* the neighbor's dog on this one.

John Barron told him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 10:45 PM   #788
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From people, man! From people! People are saying!
Old 7th September 2020, 10:55 PM   #789
Elagabalus
Philosopher

By saying that they are "starting" to get high marks is Trump admitting that before he was receiving low marks?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:04 PM   #790
Firestone

A Big Strong Guy in Tears, probably.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:23 PM   #791
TofuFighter
Illuminator

In yesterday's press conference, trump said "A friend of mine said you have to be the most innocent, honorable man to ever hold the office of president." and then repeated it a minute or two later.
If that happened, it was probably Lou Dobbs, but I highly doubt trump has friends.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:31 PM   #792
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
In yesterday's press conference, trump said "A friend of mine said you have to be the most innocent, honorable man to ever hold the office of president." and then repeated it a minute or two later.
If that happened, it was probably Lou Dobbs, but I highly doubt trump has friends.
I highly doubt it ever happened either. Trump doesn't have friends; he has people he uses and people who use him.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:35 PM   #793
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Anyone using Greenwald as their source is an idiot.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:20 AM   #794
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I guess that his internal polling numbers are showing an uptick - perhaps on expectation of the imminent arrival of a vaccine.

When a vaccine is announced I expect that President Trump will get a positive approval number for his handling of Coronavirus. If it subsequently turns out to be less available, effective or safe than billed then his approval will take a hit but that will likely take several weeks to work out. This is why I expect a vaccine announcement within two weeks of the election and I expect it to be a significant factor in his reelection.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:34 AM   #795
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I guess that his internal polling numbers are showing an uptick - perhaps on expectation of the imminent arrival of a vaccine.

When a vaccine is announced I expect that President Trump will get a positive approval number for his handling of Coronavirus. If it subsequently turns out to be less available, effective or safe than billed then his approval will take a hit but that will likely take several weeks to work out. This is why I expect a vaccine announcement within two weeks of the election and I expect it to be a significant factor in his reelection.
I don't. People would need to want to get the vaccine. Right now only about half of people in the US would take vaccine. Rush it through without completing all the trials and that number will go down more. Perhaps if Trump made it less obvious that he wants it to help his reelection bid people would be more excited about it.

I'd also note that Trump's approval rating specifically on the virus had no meaningful change in the week after he announced the EUA for convalescent blood plasma. News about the virus doesn't seem to impact Trump's approval rating anymore.

Last edited by Craig4; 8th September 2020 at 02:37 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:42 AM   #796
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Is there any doubt that if any other president had said this he’d be laughed off the stage?

Furthermore we need to look no further than Ralph Waldo Emerson to find the perfect response. “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.”

ETA
we’ve reached the point where he is now saying he is better than Lincoln and Washington.

Also, “he repeated it a few moments later” deserves a heavy eyeroll.

Last edited by Ladewig; 8th September 2020 at 02:46 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:02 AM   #797
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpism 101

Attachment 43013
Wow. That's one serious and classy Twitter page.

Couldn't see the screenshotted tweet, though, I suppose maybe he realized it was too crazy even for that profile .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:10 AM   #798
Firestone

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Wow. That's one serious and classy Twitter page.

Couldn't see the screenshotted tweet, though, I suppose maybe he realized it was too crazy even for that profile .
You give him way too much credit

The tweet is still there:

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...69107176054784
Old 8th September 2020, 05:16 AM   #799
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
we’ve reached the point where he is now saying he is better than Lincoln and Washington.
In a December 2019 yougov poll, 57% of Republicans thought that President Trump is a better president than Lincoln.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...ican-president

30% of Republicans think he is the greatest president ever

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...president-poll
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:18 AM   #800
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

You are giving the American conspirators way too much credit. They don’t even have a clear concept that there is a “rest of the world”. For them it”s more like “Here is America” and “Here be dragons”. I have no doubt that they do think, as far as they think at all, that there is some sort of conspiracy against them. It all started with the China virus that was developed specifically to harm Americans.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics