IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 05:41 AM   #801
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you Boris, working great together!
Quote Tweet

Larry Schweikart
@LarrySchweikart
Exclusive: Leaked meeting notes show Boris Johnson said Trump was 'making America great again' https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09...on-said-trump/
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:41 AM   #802
Armitage72
Philosopher

Trump tried to get a reporter to remove his mask at yesterday's press conference, and was disappointed that the reporter wouldn't endanger himself and others at Trump's request.

Quote:
In his Monday afternoon news conference, US President Donald Trump got into an exchange with Reuters correspondent Jeff Mason after Mason would not remove his face mask at the request of the President.
The President stopped Mason as he began to ask the first question, saying "you're going to have to take that off, please." He gestured to the space between the reporter and the podium, inquiring, "you're...how many feet are you away?"
Mason replied that he would just speak louder to counter the effects of the mask.
Trump was not satisfied with this response, telling the reporter his voice was "very muffled" with the face covering, "so if you would take it off, it would be a lot easier."
Mason raised his voice and repeated his offer to speak louder, asking "is that better?"
The President sighed saying, "it's better. Yeah, it's better."
Later in the news conference, Trump remarked that one reporter who did remove his mask sounded "so clear. As opposed to everybody else, where they refuse."
This is not the first time that the President has requested a reporter take off his or her mask so that he could hear a question more clearly, but his disappointment with Mason's response was notable.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:45 AM   #803
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Why does Twitter leave phony pictures like this up, but take down Republican/Conservative pictures and statements that are true? Mitch must fight back and repeal Section 230, immediately. Stop biased Big Tech before they stop you!
@HawleyMO

(Picture of Mitch in a Russian uniform in link)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...01563868479490
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:47 AM   #804
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Fredo’s got a convicted lier for a lawyer, who may be going back to jail for an even longer time - additional lies to Congress. Many more tapes of him with Fredo and other media scum reporters. Reveals how deranged & sick they all are!
Old 8th September 2020, 05:48 AM   #805
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great! Biden is finally being forced out of his basement. Now you’ll be able to see what is going on “up there”. He may do some “limited” campaigning. Basement Biden is no longer playing well in the Polls!

If Biden’s Polling wasn’t going down, and fast, he wouldn’t be going to Pittsburgh.
Old 8th September 2020, 05:54 AM   #806
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

True!
Quote Tweet

thebradfordfile™
@thebradfordfile
President Trump saved the GOP.

I would much rather watch a Trump rally than an NBA game.
And it's not even close.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:17 AM   #807
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

True!
Quote Tweet

thebradfordfile™
@thebradfordfile
President Trump saved the GOP.

I would much rather watch a Trump rally than an NBA game.
And it's not even close.
Does he know that opinions aren't true or false?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:29 AM   #808
Monza
Alta Viro

Trump Tweets

Great! Biden is finally being forced out of his basement. Now you’ll be able to see what is going on “up there”. He may do some “limited” campaigning. Basement Biden is no longer playing well in the Polls!

If Biden’s Polling wasn’t going down, and fast, he wouldn’t be going to Pittsburgh.

Trump was just in the Pittsburgh area (Latrobe) last week. I wonder what he thinks it says about his polling?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:43 AM   #809
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Trump was just in the Pittsburgh area (Latrobe) last week. I wonder what he thinks it says about his polling?
He is the king of “when I do something it is completely different from you doing the exact same thing.” He could not get that out of his head if his life depended on it.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:44 AM   #810
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Fredo’s got a convicted lier for a lawyer,
who may be going back to jail for an even longer time - additional lies to Congress. Many more tapes of him with Fredo and other media scum reporters. Reveals how deranged & sick they all are!
"Ummm, sir... So do you..."
Old 8th September 2020, 07:21 AM   #811
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trump tried to get a reporter to remove his mask at yesterday's press conference, and was disappointed that the reporter wouldn't endanger himself and others at Trump's request.
If the reporter did take his mask off, Trump would've bragged about it I'm sure. It's child-like, bully behavior.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 07:26 AM   #812
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
If the reporter did take his mask off, Trump would've bragged about it I'm sure. It's child-like, bully behavior.
The proper response would be "Sir, you may be at a distance at the podium but there are several other reporters much closer to where I am. I am not going to put any of us at risk by taking my mask off."
Old 8th September 2020, 07:26 AM   #813
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

"I asked him to take his mask off, and he said 'Sir, you know more about the China Virus than anyone else, so if you say it's safe, I trust you completely. There's nobody more trustworthy than you Sir.', and he took off his mask and everyone was fine."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 07:29 AM   #814
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I asked him to take his mask off, and he said 'Sir, you know more about the China Virus than anyone else, so if you say it's safe, I trust you completely. There's nobody more trustworthy than you Sir.', and he took off his mask and everyone was fine."
Trump's entire Presidency has been one big "And then the whole bus clapped" moment.
Old 8th September 2020, 07:33 AM   #815
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Suburban voters are pouring into the Republican Party because of the violence in Democrat run cities and states. If Biden gets in, this violence is “coming to the Suburbs”, and FAST. You could say goodbye to your American Dream!

My Campaign spent a lot of money up front in order to compensate for the false reporting and Fake News concerning our handling of the China Virus. Now they see the GREAT job we have done, and we have 3 times more than we had 4 years ago - & are up in polls. Lots of $’s & ENERGY!
Old 8th September 2020, 07:34 AM   #816
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats, together with the corrupt Fake News Media, have launched a massive Disinformation Campaign the likes of which has never been seen before. They will say anything, like their recent lies about me and the Military, and hope that it sticks... But #MAGA gets it!

Big Ten Football is looking really good, but may lose Michigan, Illinois, and Maryland because of those Governors’ ridiculous lack of interest or political support. They will play without them?
Old 8th September 2020, 07:36 AM   #817
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Same guy that didn’t want to take off his mask yesterday in asking a question while being very socially distanced. Fake News!
Old 8th September 2020, 07:41 AM   #818
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

IF the Trump campaign is broke, it's because it is paying top lawyers to drag out a pile of hopeless cases for Trump.
Old 8th September 2020, 07:54 AM   #819
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The proper response would be "Sir, you may be at a distance at the podium but there are several other reporters much closer to where I am. I am not going to put any of us at risk by taking my mask off."
Maybe, in his old age, Trump is just hard of hearing. I bet all of the others in the room heard the reporter's question just fine the first time.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:09 AM   #820
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

That would be what the story sounded like at the beginning. After retelling it a number of times, Trump would add that there was someone with COVID-19 present in the room, but when the virile men took their masks off that person was cured.

After a few more retellings, Trump would add that a Democrat saw all this and said “who is this man who can cure diseases - surely he must have been sent by God, Himself.”
Old 8th September 2020, 08:12 AM   #821
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
IF the Trump campaign is broke, it's because it is paying top lawyers to drag out a pile of hopeless cases for Trump.
I don't know if the reports about his campaign being broke are true, but I sure would like to think that the smart money is no longer willing to pour millions into his campaign coffers. I'd love to see him playing defense from now until November.

And now he's blasting top military brass, which I just don't see as a winning position. Remember Sarah Huckabee Sanders defending John Kelly as a 4-star general? I don't know why Trump's picking a fight with him; he hasn't even said anything but his silence is kind of telling.

Why the heck is Trump attacking military spending on weapons systems etc.? Isn't he the one constantly pushing for increased military spending? Is his plan to have the military available as his own private police force in the U.S.?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:25 AM   #822
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

The Bible signed by President Donald Trump after a photo op outside a Washington, D.C., church has been listed for sale.

The memorabilia company Moments in Time is advertising the autographed Bible for $37,500, although it’s not clear how it ended up on the website, reported TMZ.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/bib...sale-at-37500/

Trump signed a bible!!
Old 8th September 2020, 08:31 AM   #823
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Trump signed a bible!!
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost were reportedly delighted, saying "with Trump's name we can finally take this operation into the big league"
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:32 AM   #824
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Trump: DeJoy should be removed if it 'can be proven that he did something wrong'

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...en-that-he-did

Is this a setup for a firing, or a boast that man can't be touched?
I'm going with firing though I'm not clear on if Trump has the authority. Since the Post Office Board of Directors, appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate hire the PMG, I would think only the board could fire him.

Trump can't be pleased with how DeJoy endorsed mail in voting in his Senate testimony. It also might be useful for Trump to remove DeJoy to disrupt the working of the Post Office during the mail-in voting period.
Old 8th September 2020, 08:36 AM   #825
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Trump signed a bible!!
Trump wrote the Bible, did you not know that?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:50 AM   #826
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
But not outside the USA. (No vid.)
Too bad. It's an astounding, hilarious, disturbing look at the mindset of Trump cultists.
Old 8th September 2020, 08:53 AM   #827
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Once at a rally Trump passed around a basked with only two bottles of antibac and five face masks, and it was enough for the whole congregation of Trumpkins!

...should I make the punchline that there were fewer than five people at the rally, or that trumpkins think they catch fire if they wear masks?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:18 AM   #828
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Maybe, in his old age, Trump is just hard of hearing. I bet all of the others in the room heard the reporter's question just fine the first time.
I will allow that seeing people speak can help with understanding what they're saying, for those with difficulty hearing. But I think Trump's problem is his difficulty in listening.
Old 8th September 2020, 09:31 AM   #829
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost were reportedly delighted, saying "with Trump's name we can finally take this operation into the big league"
Remember when the Right kept saying that liberals were calling Obama the chosen one? Yea, none of us did and neither did Obama claim to be.

Trump, however....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:36 AM   #830
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Furthermore we need to look no further than Ralph Waldo Emerson to find the perfect response. “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.”
Gotta love Ralph!

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:40 AM   #831
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Suburban voters are pouring into the Republican Party because of the violence in Democrat run cities and states. If Biden gets in, this violence is “coming to the Suburbs”, and FAST. You could say goodbye to your American Dream!
Trumpspeak to English Translation: If Biden is elected, more Black people will move into the suburbs because of low-income housing. And you know what what those people are like (wink wink). Your property value will go down and crime will go up. Unless you want to see your big, beautiful white suburbs turned into inner city slums, vote Trump!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:43 AM   #832
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't know if the reports about his campaign being broke are true, but I sure would like to think that the smart money is no longer willing to pour millions into his campaign coffers. I'd love to see him playing defense from now until November.
He is trying to (or will) make up for it by enlisting the USPS, the DoJ, and federal troops.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:53 AM   #833
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

They are not “peaceful protesters”, as Sleepy Joe and the Democrats call them, they are THUGS - And it is all taking place in Democrat run cities. Call me and request Federal HELP. We will solve your problems in a matter of minutes - And thanks to the U.S. Marshalls in Portland!
Old 8th September 2020, 09:54 AM   #834
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
He is trying to (or will) make up for it by enlisting the USPS, the DoJ, and federal troops.
Yes, he will try, but I would still find it encouraging if no one wants to spend money on his campaign - essentially writing him off as a loser.

Don't know if that's really happening, though.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:01 AM   #835
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Because of the China Virus, my Campaign, which has raised a lot of money, was forced to spend in order to counter the Fake News reporting about the way we handled it (China Ban, etc.). We did, and are doing, a GREAT job, and have a lot of money left over, much more than 2016....

....Like I did in the 2016 Primaries, if more money is needed, which I doubt it will be, I will put it up!
Old 8th September 2020, 10:01 AM   #836
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Because of the China Virus, my Campaign, which has raised a lot of money, was forced to spend in order to counter the Fake News reporting about the way we handled it (China Ban, etc.). We did, and are doing, a GREAT job, and have a lot of money left over, much more than 2016....

....Like I did in the 2016 Primaries, if more money is needed, which I doubt it will be, I will put it up!
I guess they ARE broke.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:02 AM   #837
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump Tweets

this is all the confirmation I need that the Trump campaign is trailing Biden in funding.
Old 8th September 2020, 10:05 AM   #838
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Going broke, it's what he's good at!
Old 8th September 2020, 10:23 AM   #839
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

They are not “peaceful protesters”, as Sleepy Joe and the Democrats call them, they are THUGS - And it is all taking place in Democrat run cities. Call me and request Federal HELP. We will solve your problems in a matter of minutes - And thanks to the U.S. Marshalls in Portland!
More lies from Trumps.

Quote:
Yet, despite data indicating that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement are overwhelmingly peaceful,one recent poll suggested that 42% of respondents believe “most protesters [associated with the BLM movement] are trying to incite violence or destroy property” (FiveThirtyEight, 5 June 2020) . This is in line with the Civiqs tracking poll which finds that “net approval for the Black Lives Matter movement peaked back on June 3 [the week following the killing of George Floyd when riots first began to be reported] and has fallen sharply since” (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 29 August 2020).

Research from the University of Washington indicates that this disparity stems from political orientation and biased media framing (Washington Post, 24 August 2020), such as disproportionate coverage of violent demonstrations (Business Insider, 11 June 2020; Poynter, 25 June 2020). Groups like the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) have documented organized disinformation campaigns aimed at spreading a “deliberate mischaracterization of groups or movements [involved in the protests], such as portraying activists who support Black Lives Matter as violent extremists or claiming that antifa is a terrorist organization coordinated or manipulated by nebulous external forces” (ADL, 2020). These disinformation campaigns may be contributing to the decline in public support for the BLM movement after the initial increase following Floyd’s killing, especially amongst the white population (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 30 August 2020a, 30 August 2020b). This waning support also comes as the Trump administration recently shifted its “law and order” messaging to target local Democratic Party politicians from urban areas, particularly on the campaign trail (NPR, 27 August 2020).
https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/dem...r-summer-2020/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:24 AM   #840
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Too bad. It's an astounding, hilarious, disturbing look at the mindset of Trump cultists.
"One mans sexual assault is another mans flirtation".

"Read the transcript!"
"Have you read it?"
"No"

Some highlights.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics