IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 10:24 AM   #841
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Is there any doubt that if any other president had said this he’d be laughed off the stage?

Furthermore we need to look no further than Ralph Waldo Emerson to find the perfect response. “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.”

ETA
we’ve reached the point where he is now saying he is better than Lincoln and Washington.
Well, Washington commanded a bunch of guys a lot of whom became losers. And Lincoln was gay. Duh.
Old 8th September 2020, 10:30 AM   #842
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Going broke, it's what he's good at!

Trump’s Net Worth Drops $600 Million In A Year To $2.5 Billion by Dan Alexander

Trump Considers Spending $100 Million On Campaign by Eliza Relman

Yikes!

At a loss of 600 million a year and out 100 million, for a total of $2.5 billion,
he literally cannot afford to win this one.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:37 AM   #843
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
You give him way too much credit
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D3425C73-CFFF-4A20-AD98-93B54B61B14B.jpeg (33.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 8th September 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:51 AM   #844
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Seems weird that this is how he meant to quiet the assertions that his campaign funds are tanking.
He doesn't use his money if he doesn't absolutely have to. That's a fact.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:01 AM   #845
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump got away with not having to spend too much on ads in 2016 because he got wall to wall coverage on all media outlets with his outrageous behaviour.

I hope that he doesn't get it this time around. Perhaps that's the only advantage of being subjected to 4 years of President Trump's behaviour.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:22 AM   #846
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Seems weird that this is how he meant to quiet the assertions that his campaign funds are tanking.
He doesn't use his money if he doesn't absolutely have to. That's a fact.
He not only doesn't use his own money in the campaign, he and those around him consistently redirect campaign funds into their own pockets.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:25 AM   #847
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I will allow that seeing people speak can help with understanding what they're saying, for those with difficulty hearing. But I think Trump's problem is his difficulty in listening.
When shown video and of "bah", "gah", and "dah" mismatched with audio reveals people will more frequently follow the visual reference.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:33 AM   #848
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He not only doesn't use his own money in the campaign, he and those around him consistently redirect campaign funds into their own pockets.

I had a funny thought. It's just fantasy, but suppose these recent "normalized relationship" announcements by various countries are the result of campaign funds diverted to pay off the people involved in the announcements.

"Here's $50 million for you, and $50 million for you. Now you just have to pretend to not hate each other for the next several months."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:58 AM   #849
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I can guarantee he will not spend a cent of his own money for his campaign. Oh, he will probably come up with a promise to match all donations, but then he won't contribute at all.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:00 PM   #850
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Too bad. It's an astounding, hilarious, disturbing look at the mindset of Trump cultists.
When I had watched it before - disturbing overwhelmed the other two that you listed.

But then, I'm probably a bit weird and don't really gain satisfaction by looking down on dupes and evil.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Honestly, that's pretty much to be expected, along with a larger "white backlash" to the threat of change and having relative advantages under fire. For too many, it takes much more personal internal conflict to change course - for example, the anti-gay conservatives with gay kids are much more likely to change their opinions and the COVID deniers that lost a spouse who had a change of heart.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:11 PM   #851
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Democrats and Sleepy Joe’s Peaceful Protestors!
Quote Tweet

Mark Dice
@MarkDice
Black power extremists invade McDonalds in Pittsburgh cuz of rrrrrraaaacim ‘n stuff.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:14 PM   #852
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Tim Pool
@Timcast
It's hard for me to believe Trump will lose in November considering all the polls in 2016 and how Biden is substantially worse than Hillary in many ways
"Biden, to me, is like taking a flashlight with a dying battery and going for a long walk in the woods." - Joe Rogan

Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
Spotify deleted all the Alex Jones appearances — and other guests too — from Joe Rogan’s podcast archives.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:15 PM   #853
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sleepy Joe Biden has pledged to ABOLISH Suburban Communites as they currently exist by reinstating Obama’s radical AFFH Regulation. There goes Suburbia!

Democrats admit that President Trump’s message is “working” on violence coming to the Suburbs in a Looney Biden Administration. Plus, Biden just doubled down on forcing Federal control of local zoning. This means low income housing and projects. So much for the American Dream!

They are not “peaceful protesters”, as Sleepy Joe and the Democrats call them, they are THUGS - And it is all taking place in Democrat run cities. Call me and request Federal HELP. We will solve your problems in a matter of minutes - And thanks to the U.S. Marshalls in Portland!

On my way to the Great State of Florida, see you soon!
Old 8th September 2020, 12:16 PM   #854
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Remember when the Right kept saying that liberals were calling Obama the chosen one? Yea, none of us did and neither did Obama claim to be.

Trump, however....
They claimed a lot of things that weren't even remotely objectively true, of course. The more disturbing part about that, though, is how they just keep making their false accusations towards others into the reality of how they treat their people and the actions that they themselves are taking.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:23 PM   #855
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sleepy Joe Biden has pledged to ABOLISH Suburban Communites as they currently exist by reinstating Obama’s radical AFFH Regulation. There goes Suburbia!
LOL. I wonder how anyone could believe this nonsense. If the AFFH Regulations were there to abolish surburbs, why didn't it happen when the regulations were in effect?

I guess it makes as much sense and his asking for re-election otherwise the violence in the streets won't stop. Yes, the violence that is happening on the streets under his administration....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:28 PM   #856
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
They claimed a lot of things that weren't even remotely objectively true, of course. The more disturbing part about that, though, is how they just keep making their false accusations towards others into the reality of how they treat their people and the actions that they themselves are taking.
There have been a number of people in my life who, when they start describing a behavior they are concerned is being used to attack them, I immediately start planning to defend myself against that behavior from them.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:34 PM   #857
Cain
Straussian

LOL. I wonder how anyone could believe this nonsense.
You guys didn't think Trump would win.
You didn't he could build the wall and get Mexico to pay for it.
You didn't think he could make great deals.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:01 PM   #858
Armitage72
Philosopher

LOL. I wonder how anyone could believe this nonsense. If the AFFH Regulations were there to abolish surburbs, why didn't it happen when the regulations were in effect?

It's just like when President Obama was going to take away everyone's guns. They were waiting until the perfect moment after everyone had let down their guard. And waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:06 PM   #859
Lupus
Scholar

Who is warning us about all the rapists and murderers and caravans bringing smallpox and other disease over the borders? Who is telling us that Dems want to take your guns away? Who is telling us that our cities will be in flames and rioting and looting will happen under "Biden's America" when it's happening NOW? Who is telling us massive voter fraud will happen with mail in voting? Who is telling suburban women that low-income housing will “destroy your neighborhood and your American Dream.”?

If you think that it's the liberals who are driven by fear, then you live in an alternate universe.
Is this you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-anxiety
"Climate change is also linked to elevated rates of mood disorders, such as depression, anxiety, pre- and post-traumatic stress and increased drug and alcohol use. It is also associated with increased suicidal intention and death by suicide."
Lupus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:06 PM   #860
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Eric trump Tweets

@EricTrump
Football is officially dead — so much for “America’s sport.” Goodbye NFL... I’m gone.
Quote Tweet

Washington Examiner
@dcexaminer
Dallas Cowboys player says officials have given team "green light" to protest national anthem.
https://washex.am/334FRQ3
Old 8th September 2020, 01:20 PM   #861
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
Is this you?
"Climate change is also linked to elevated rates of mood disorders, such as depression, anxiety, pre- and post-traumatic stress and increased drug and alcohol use. It is also associated with increased suicidal intention and death by suicide."
It's the difference between a demonstrated factual situation and a really bad pitch of a really bad script of a 5th-rate fiction movie that will never be made.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:22 PM   #862
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
When I had watched it before - disturbing overwhelmed the other two that you listed.

But then, I'm probably a bit weird and don't really gain satisfaction by looking down on dupes and evil.
You're fine. I do what must in order to cope.
Old 8th September 2020, 01:24 PM   #863
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It's the difference between a demonstrated factual situation and a really bad pitch of a really bad script of a 5th-rate fiction movie that will never be made.
No there's not.

There used to be, back when the world had facts.

But not anymore. Being afraid of something that will happen and being afraid of something that won't happen are the same thing. Being angry at stuff that is happening is being "dramatic" while being angry at stuff that doesn't happen is valid.

There are no facts anymore. So there is no difference in anything outside of who wants to be loudest and most stubborn about it.
Old 8th September 2020, 01:47 PM   #864
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I don't. People would need to want to get the vaccine. Right now only about half of people in the US would take vaccine. Rush it through without completing all the trials and that number will go down more. Perhaps if Trump made it less obvious that he wants it to help his reelection bid people would be more excited about it.

I'd also note that Trump's approval rating specifically on the virus had no meaningful change in the week after he announced the EUA for convalescent blood plasma. News about the virus doesn't seem to impact Trump's approval rating anymore.

And, depending on circumstances, I could easily find myself in the other half.

Make no mistake. I'm a big fan of vaccines. I keep mine updated (which reminds me, it's time to get my flu vaccination). I think they're great.

But if there is a Covid vaccine that 'just happens' to come out right before Nov.3, and it is being hawked by Trump and Fiends I probably will wait for the next bus.

There is no doubt that he's already made HHS and the CDC his creatures, and anything they might say is more than suspect. In fact it is probably outright lies. Trump and Fiends can't move their lips without lying.

Maybe an EU approved vaccine. I might even have more faith in something the Chinese came up with.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 8th September 2020 at 01:51 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:15 PM   #865
BigFace42
Scholar

Trump Retweeted

Tim Pool
@Timcast
It's hard for me to believe Trump will lose in November considering all the polls in 2016 and how Biden is substantially worse than Hillary in many ways
"Biden, to me, is like taking a flashlight with a dying battery and going for a long walk in the woods." - Joe Rogan
And Trump is like taking a flamethrower and wondering why it just got warmer in here.
BigFace42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:40 PM   #866
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Eric trump Tweets

@EricTrump
Football is officially dead — so much for “America’s sport.” Goodbye NFL... I’m gone.
Quote Tweet

Washington Examiner
@dcexaminer
Dallas Cowboys player says officials have given team "green light" to protest national anthem.
https://washex.am/334FRQ3

I wonder how the NFL will cope without Eric Trump.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 03:30 PM   #867
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Who is warning us about all the rapists and murderers and caravans bringing smallpox and other disease over the borders? Who is telling us that Dems want to take your guns away? Who is telling us that our cities will be in flames and rioting and looting will happen under "Biden's America" when it's happening NOW? Who is telling us massive voter fraud will happen with mail in voting? Who is telling suburban women that low-income housing will “destroy your neighborhood and your American Dream.”?

If you think that it's the liberals who are driven by fear, then you live in an alternate universe.
Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
Is this you?
I see that you are not refuting that it's Trump and his administration who fear mongering by pushing all the above quoted in my post. Instead you counter by posting some weird ass wikipedia article that is being considered for removal. Well done.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 03:37 PM   #868
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Police Chief, and most of the police in Rochester, N.Y., have resigned. The Democrat Mayor and, of courses, Governor Cuomo, have no idea what to do. New York State is a mess - No Money, High Taxes & Crime, Everyone Fleeing. November 3rd. We can fix it!
Old 8th September 2020, 03:39 PM   #869
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Just left Florida, see everyone tonight in North Carolina! #MAGA
Quote Tweet

Congressman Dan Bishop
@jdanbishop
US House candidate, NC-9
Excited to be with @realDonaldTrump in #NC tonight! #PromisesKept
Old 8th September 2020, 03:51 PM   #870
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Police Chief, and most of the police in Rochester, N.Y., have resigned. The Democrat Mayor and, of courses, Governor Cuomo, have no idea what to do. New York State is a mess - No Money, High Taxes & Crime, Everyone Fleeing. November 3rd. We can fix it!
Lie. The command staff, not the police.
Quote:
Along with the police chief, the city's entire command staff announced it will vacate their roles.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/rochester-...ry?id=72884253
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:22 PM   #871
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

The U.S. Justice Department is seeking to take over the defense of President Donald Trump in a defamation suit brought by advice columnist E. Jean Carroll, who claims Trump raped her two decades ago.

Quote:
The move could further delay a suit in which Carroll is demanding potentially damaging evidence from Trump during the final weeks before the presidential election, including a deposition and a DNA sample to compare to a dress she claims she was wearing at the time of the alleged attack. It could also leave taxpayers on the hook for any damages awarded in the case.
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...arroll-lawsuit

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 8th September 2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 8th September 2020, 04:27 PM   #872
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Since when is the US Dept of Justice the personal lawyers for Trump in a civil lawsuit for something that is unconnected to and before Trump was even the POTUS?
Old 8th September 2020, 04:33 PM   #873
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Because of the China Virus, my Campaign, which has raised a lot of money, was forced to spend in order to counter the Fake News reporting about the way we handled it (China Ban, etc.). We did, and are doing, a GREAT job, and have a lot of money left over, much more than 2016....

....Like I did in the 2016 Primaries, if more money is needed, which I doubt it will be, I will put it up!
This is too perfect. Trump having to spend money to counteract someone else's lies.

Please God, I hope everyone on his campaign is siphoning off funds into their personal accounts while they still can.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:42 PM   #874
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

JFC! He's not blowing a dog whistle, he's banging a ******* gong.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:46 PM   #875
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
JFC! He's not blowing a dog whistle, he's banging a ******* gong.
Hide your daughters! Hide your wives!
Old 8th September 2020, 04:54 PM   #876
Paul2
Philosopher

Talking

I just heard that Ta’nehesi Coates said that Trump is The U.S.’ “first white president.”

That’s a riff on B. Clinton being the nations’ first black president.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:06 PM   #877
seayakin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can guarantee he will not spend a cent of his own money for his campaign. Oh, he will probably come up with a promise to match all donations, but then he won't contribute at all.
No he will make inkind donations from his properties at highly inflated rates. All events of course held at Trump properties.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:13 PM   #878
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
At a loss of 600 million a year and out 100 million, for a total of $2.5 billion, he literally cannot afford to win this one.
In January to March 2020, it was reported that the Trump Organisation was attempting to buy One America News Network (OANN) for less than $250,000,000 however the negotiations seemed to have ended without success.
https://www.salon.com/2020/05/06/don...wn-fox-report/

That suggests two things. Firstly that the Trumps are preparing to operate an extreme conservative news network as they perceive they will lose the election.

Secondly, that Trump may spend his own money and Trump PAC revenue for the dual purpose of election campaigning and establishing the Trumps as the bastions of conservative information to allow them to operate an extreme conservative news network if they lose the election....if it is cheaper than Trump spending $250 million to acquire OANN

I simply suggest this could be on the cards and I imagine the Murdoch family will try prevent this as it will dilute Fox News advertising revenue. I imagine Fox will extend the moratorium on Fox News talking heads accepting positions at a competitive network, after termination, so the Trumps don't acquire them for OANN and yet Fox News can sack its pro-Trump talking heads when their views become redundant.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 07:16 PM   #879
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't know if the reports about his campaign being broke are true, but I sure would like to think that the smart money is no longer willing to pour millions into his campaign coffers. I'd love to see him playing defense from now until November.

And now he's blasting top military brass, which I just don't see as a winning position. Remember Sarah Huckabee Sanders defending John Kelly as a 4-star general? I don't know why Trump's picking a fight with him; he hasn't even said anything but his silence is kind of telling.

Why the heck is Trump attacking military spending on weapons systems etc.? Isn't he the one constantly pushing for increased military spending? Is his plan to have the military available as his own private police force in the U.S.?
DJT has never displayed any rationality. If he thinks the top Pentagon officials were somehow involved in the dead-soldiers-are-losers stories, then they must be punished. And because he has neither breadth of knowledge, creativity, nor an understanding of how people with normal emotions deal with life, the only way he can attack them is to call them stupid babies (which he has already done) or accuse them of things he has been accused of. Therefore, they must be accused of being in the pocket of the weapons manufacturers.

I suspect a number of senators considered standing just offstage saying “Sir, sir, ixnay on criticizing the military obbylay.” But they have learned that (a) President Whackadoodle attacks people who try to help him understand Washington and (b) Pig Latin is far beyond the abilities of the stablest genius in history.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:38 PM   #880
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

Fredo’s got a convicted lier for a lawyer, who may be going back to jail for an even longer time - additional lies to Congress. Many more tapes of him with Fredo and other media scum reporters. Reveals how deranged & sick they all are!
Who is 'Fredo'? Cohen?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics