IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 04:18 PM   #961
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Q: "Did you mislead the public?"

President Trump: "Well, I think if you said in order to reduce panic, perhaps that's so. The fact is, I'm a cheerleader for this country. I love our country and I don't want people to be frightened. I don't want to create panic
If Ted Cruz being appointed to US Supreme Court doesn't panic you, I don't know what will
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:20 PM   #962
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

On top of a lie made up by a low-life “reporter”, who is known for disinformation, the Democrats have taken his false words and put them into a TV commercial. We now have 21 witnesses stating that the story is a BIG LIE. Even Biden admits this may not be true...

...Secret Service would not allow the trip to the cemetery based on very bad weather and security concerns. Now these low-life Biden handlers are making commercials of this fictional statement, with no proof, and think they can get away with it...

...These are horrendous people that we must defeat on November 3rd!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:21 PM   #963
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The failed former Governor of Michigan, RINO Rick Snyder, who was responsible for the Flint Water Disaster (and I let him know it!), is now endorsing Sleepy Joe Biden, who doesn’t have a clue! Snyder, whose political career was ruined by Flint, hurt a lot of people in Michigan...

...I’ll take the Endorsement of Law Enforcement all over the Country, and Joe can have the RINO’S. This Snyder mess was made during the OBiden era - no wonder they’re friends!
Old 9th September 2020, 04:42 PM   #964
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Christopher Hitchens said it about Woodward in 1996.

You'll have to evaluate for yourself the credibility of the accusation and perhaps decide for yourself if access journalism is a problem.

In any case, I have not made any claims about Woodward's reporting accuracy. I certainly can't fault him for getting Trump to speak on the record, especially for getting him to contradict his own lies. Although Trump is obviously, abysmally stupid, Woodward's ability to get him talking is still admirable.
Hey thanks for that link. Which led to this story:

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/09/tru...inish-him-off/

which lead to this link.

https://youtu.be/tCAOsmxgNVU?t=432

Trump from Jan.11, 2000.

Enjoy.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:44 PM   #965
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Hey thanks for that link. Which led to this story:

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/09/tru...inish-him-off/

which lead to this link.

https://youtu.be/tCAOsmxgNVU?t=432

Trump from Jan.11, 2000.

Enjoy.
Raw links; didn't click. Please see The campaign for good linking: please provide some indication of what you're linking to is about.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 9th September 2020 at 04:45 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:48 PM   #966
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm having a hard time imaging Trump's suburban strategy being successful, because I think those folks are a little better educated than average. Am I wrong?
Old 9th September 2020, 05:07 PM   #967
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm having a hard time imaging Trump's suburban strategy being successful, because I think those folks are a little better educated than average aren't three-toothed knuckle-dragging worthless ******* morons like most of his base. Am I wrong?
You were wrong. I fixed it for you.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 05:11 PM   #968
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Fake News asks why I bring up Booker. It’s because Biden supports Booker’s bill that forces federal control of local zoning and low income housing in suburbs...

...If in doubt, ask why the bill withholds $12 billion in highway funds until local authorities agree to federal control? I will protect the suburbs. Biden will destroy the suburbs!
Old 9th September 2020, 05:37 PM   #969
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

TV News HQ
@TVNewsHQ
President Trump attacks Biden at tonight’s NC rally: "If Biden wins, China wins. It's as simple as that," and he slams @NC_Governor for not doing more to open the state's economy, as in MI and NY. "They're doing it for political reasons," says the President.

<snip>

And while he was saying this he was actively defying the statewide mandates both for wearing masks and limiting public gatherings to fifty people.

NC has been struggling with its Covid numbers. They resurge every time restrictions are relaxed. Attempts to normalize with things like sending kids back to state Universities have backfired to the point where the schools are shutting down and sending the students back home. (As if that's a good idea.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 05:39 PM   #970
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump tweets

The United States Navy, or the Department of Defense, will NOT be cancelling its contract with Catholic Priests who serve our men and women in the Armed Forces so well, and with such great compassion & skill. This will no longer be even a point of discussion!
@CardinalDolan

Did someone say they were?

(And what kind of contract? Are they getting paid by the DoD?)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 05:43 PM   #971
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump Tweets

On top of a lie made up by a low-life “reporter”, who is known for disinformation, the Democrats have taken his false words and put them into a TV commercial. We now have 21 witnesses stating that the story is a BIG LIE. Even Biden admits this may not be true...

...Secret Service would not allow the trip to the cemetery based on very bad weather and security concerns. Now these low-life Biden handlers are making commercials of this fictional statement, with no proof, and think they can get away with it...

How bad was the weather?

It was so bad that ...

...the heads of state of at least three major countries had no problem whatsoever getting there.

How great were the security concerns?

They were so great that ...

... see above.

Old 9th September 2020, 05:44 PM   #972
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Did someone say they were?

(And what kind of contract? Are they getting paid by the DoD?)
My understanding is that the DoD doesn't have enough priests in their ranks. They are paid by Dod and provide "priestly services" to service members. I believe the article I read talked to the priest servicing North Island/San Diego.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 05:50 PM   #973
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm having a hard time imaging Trump's suburban strategy being successful, because I think those folks are a little better educated than average. Am I wrong?

Mebbe.

We keeping having incidents around here of black and mixed families in upscale middle class neighborhoods finding anonymous messages in their mailboxes and elsewhere with contents which, while not overtly threatening, were at the very least disturbing. Impetus seems to be things like BLM yard signs, etc. Or none at all.

It isn't clear to me that being "a little better educated" is enough to prevent racist attitudes and behavior.

Old 9th September 2020, 05:54 PM   #974
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You were wrong. I fixed it for you.
I recognize hyperbole, but I'm not fond of equating poor dental health with conservative political viewpoints.

Trump's "there goes the neighborhood" tweet might be too blunt even for some supporters.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:09 PM   #975
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Is he referring to Bob Woodward? The journalist he had 18 interviews with himself personally? Woodward may be many things, but I don't expect him to make up massive whoppers in his journalism. Not that he needs to with Donny because the Orange Shart produces enough all on his own to power a small country. This pretty much confirms Donny doesn't have a clue when he is blabbing the quiet part out loud, and doesn't remember who he has been talking to from one moment to the next.

Quote:
You just keep telling yourself that, you blithering self-centered coward. Nobody else believes you, and the facts are all against you. As has been noted many times, everybody else managed to get there on time and relatively dry and unscathed. But then they were thinking of greater things outside themselves, something entirely foreign to you.

Quote:
You certainly are.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 9th September 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:18 PM   #976
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets
Quote Tweet

Sarah Huckabee Sanders
@SarahHuckabee
I handle Fake News the same way I handle my kids at home...
Grab your own copy of my new book at http://SpeakingForMyself.com
Poor kids. But what does this really mean? She gives Fake News a 30-minute time out? That's it! No dessert for you tonight!
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:23 PM   #977
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Poor kids. But what does this really mean? She gives Fake News a 30-minute time out? That's it! No dessert for you tonight!
She ignores them is what I think she means.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:25 PM   #978
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The Naughty Step!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:28 PM   #979
SezMe
post-pre-born

Benny
@bennyjohnson
President Trump is out on the campaign trail, having fun, dunking on hypocrite Liberal Elite Nancy Pelosi.
The crowd loves it.
This isn’t a man who is campaigning from behind.
The polls are lying.
Biden is behind.

Nachman Mostofsky
@Mostofsky
First @kimkbaltimore
Now @alekskarlatos
This new crop of young conservatives are killing it!
He's right! Deny reality is one of the Ten Trumpisms.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:40 PM   #980
Mumbles
Philosopher

It isn't clear to me that being "a little better educated" is enough to prevent racist attitudes and behavior.
*Definitely* not.

I won't bother with stories. But education, in general, is clearly not a cure.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:47 PM   #981
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Raw links; didn't click. Please see The campaign for good linking: please provide some indication of what you're linking to is about.
Sheesh!!!

Extra!! Extra!!! Read all about it!!

trumps-contempt-for-the-military-reveals-his-fatuous-bloated-ego--and-could-finish-him-off(salon)

And that's not all!! From that same article THIS blast from the past!!

Donald Trump exposes self on 60 Minutes II - January 11, 2000 with Dan Rather. All the Trump favorites are here! Featuring: his feelings about John McCain! George W. Bush! His campaign for POTUS is reviewed cynically by America's top Marketing guy "says Trump is doing it for more Brand identity!"

And much more!!! (YouTube)
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:51 PM   #982
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Trump was nominated for it in 2018 as well. He lost.
A loser and a sucker.
Old 9th September 2020, 06:53 PM   #983
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Donald "J for Jenius" Trump.

The obese, ugly, delusional, grifting, orange, lying **** who talked and BS'd his way into the highest office in the land.... is talking and BSing his way out of the highest office in the land. All anyone had to do was step back and let the dumb **** hang himself with his own noose.

Unfortunately, I have zero faith in 50+% of eligible Americans to be smart enough to vote the lying murderer out in November because... triggering liberals.

"In a democracy, people get the leader they deserve." ~ Joseph De Maistre
Old 9th September 2020, 07:00 PM   #984
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I suggest we on this forum nominate Barack Obama again for a Nobel. And Joe Biden for good measure.

Oh and this point: The nomination of Trump by the Norwegian right-wing politician is probably invalid. The criteria for a Nobel nominator for the Peace Prize includes "Members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of states", of which he is not one.
Old 9th September 2020, 07:00 PM   #985
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Judge Roy Bean
Judge Judy Sheindlin
Judge Jeanine Pirro
One would think so, but she supported Bloomberg.
Old 9th September 2020, 07:03 PM   #986
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Judge Roy Bean
Judge Judy Sheindlin
Judge Jeanine Pirro
Judge Dredd
Old 9th September 2020, 07:05 PM   #987
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear. Fear.

Gawd, I'm so sick of it. 60 more days? Yuck. I may go bury my head in a block of concrete.
Old 9th September 2020, 07:17 PM   #988
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I suggest we on this forum nominate Barack Obama again for a Nobel. And Joe Biden for good measure.

Oh and this point: The nomination of Trump by the Norwegian right-wing politician is probably invalid. The criteria for a Nobel nominator for the Peace Prize includes "Members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of states", of which he is not one.
He's an elected member of the Storting, Norway's national assembly.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 07:18 PM   #989
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

She stops doing her job and is effectively replaced by a Bratz doll.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 07:19 PM   #990
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
One would think so, but she supported Bloomberg.
Yeah, but she gets GREAT RATINGS!!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 07:33 PM   #991
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Trump was nominated for it in 2018 as well. He lost.
I think we should have more stories that refer to Nobel-Prize Winner Barack Obama and Nobel-Prize Loser Donald Trump.
Old 9th September 2020, 07:36 PM   #992
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Christopher Hitchens said it about Woodward in 1996.

You'll have to evaluate for yourself the credibility of the accusation and perhaps decide for yourself if access journalism is a problem.

In any case, I have not made any claims about Woodward's reporting accuracy. I certainly can't fault him for getting Trump to speak on the record, especially for getting him to contradict his own lies. Although Trump is obviously, abysmally stupid, Woodward's ability to get him talking is still admirable.
”Get him talking?” That hardly takes any more skill than the ability to dangle a microphone somewhere in his general vicinity.

So simple a caveman could do it.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:00 PM   #993
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Judge Roy Bean
Judge Judy Sheindlin
Judge Jeanine Pirro
Judge
Judge
Judge
Old 9th September 2020, 08:05 PM   #994
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Is he referring to Bob Woodward? The journalist he had 18 interviews with himself personally? Woodward may be many things, but I don't expect him to make up massive whoppers in his journalism.
I assume he’s referring to The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:29 PM   #995
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
”Get him talking?” That hardly takes any more skill than the ability to dangle a microphone somewhere in his general vicinity.

So simple a caveman could do it.
I’m not sure he needs to see a microphone.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:35 PM   #996
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
He's an elected member of the Storting, Norway's national assembly.
Yes, but he is not a cabinet member or minister. This criteria specifically rules out parliamentary members who are not part of the ruling cabal, whatever form that takes. Otherwise you would be getting literally hundreds of thousands of nominations every year from the many hundred governing bodies around the world.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:37 PM   #997
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I assume he’s referring to The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg.
Heh, Golden Rule of Trump: The more The Donald tries to deny things, the greater the likelihood they are true.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:38 PM   #998
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m not sure he needs to see a microphone.
Fake Mike?

Old 9th September 2020, 08:40 PM   #999
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Mebbe.

We keeping having incidents around here of black and mixed families in upscale middle class neighborhoods finding anonymous messages in their mailboxes and elsewhere with contents which, while not overtly threatening, were at the very least disturbing. Impetus seems to be things like BLM yard signs, etc. Or none at all.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
*Definitely* not.

I won't bother with stories. But education, in general, is clearly not a cure.
Yeah, it's really not.

To poke further at that, though... Why smart people are more likely to believe fake news

Quote:
But other stories may fit with your political identity far more tightly. And for these particularly emotive claims, intelligence and education may actually make you more susceptible to fake news, through a process called “motivated reasoning”. Consider the “birther” theory that Barack Obama was not born in the US. This has been debunked time and time again, but it became highly ingrained in many people’s political ideology. And greater brainpower did not prevent them from believing the story; indeed, it actually increased their credulity. A study by Ashley Jardina at Duke University in North Carolina, for instance, surveyed the views of the more conservative white Republicans – the kind of people who might have found the former president most alienating. It found that beliefs in the birther theory were strongest among the participants with the greatest political knowledge.

A similar pattern could be seen with the beliefs that Obama was a Muslim, and the claims that his healthcare reforms would lead to “death panels” that decided who lived or died. To make matters worse, more educated participants also seemed less likely to update their beliefs after they had been debunked; instead, they actually became more certain they were right. Somehow, their greater knowledge simply allowed them to dismiss the new information and harden their attitudes.
Given that headline, though, I think that it's also prudent to add this one, with the note that it's a bit more British. Why more highly educated people are less into conspiracy theories.

I dare to say that US right-wing propaganda is particularly toxic, regardless.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:18 PM   #1000
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Yeah, it's really not.

To poke further at that, though... Why smart people are more likely to believe fake news

Given that headline, though, I think that it's also prudent to add this one, with the note that it's a bit more British. Why more highly educated people are less into conspiracy theories.

I dare to say that US right-wing propaganda is particularly toxic, regardless.

Quote:
It found that beliefs in the birther theory were strongest among the participants with the greatest political knowledge.
Quote:
A study by Ashley Jardina at Duke University in North Carolina, for instance, surveyed the views of the more conservative white Republicans – the kind of people who might have found the former president most alienating. It found that beliefs in the birther theory were strongest among the participants with the greatest political knowledge.

I completely disagree with Jardina.
More 'conservative' does not mean more intelligent nor does it necessarily mean they have the 'greatest political knowledge', especially if they're getting almost all of that 'knowledge' from very biased sources like FOX, Breitbart, and other right wing echo chambers.

Quote:
... more educated participants also seemed less likely to update their beliefs after they had been debunked; instead, they actually became more certain they were right. Somehow, their greater knowledge simply allowed them to dismiss the new information and harden their attitudes.
Of course they do because they don't believe their beliefs have been debunked.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics