IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:54 AM   #201
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
As I've pointed out once already, I'm getting a really strong late '20s German vibe here.
You're not the only one.

We Don’t Know How to Warn You Any Harder. America is Dying.
We Survivors of Authoritarianism Have a Message America Needs to Hear: This is Exactly How it Happens, and It’s Happening Here.
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:24 AM   #202
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

The Germans (and others from countries with experience for authoritarians) have been trying to tell Americans this for four years.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:00 PM   #203
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
We have always been at war with Eurasia. Duh.

Honestly, to me, it sounds more like he's hinting at the Illuminati for his many, many conspiracy theorist followers.

To poke elsewhere,

Oath Keepers to Trump: Send out the militias to stop antifascists' 'Marxist takeover' of America

And may those radicalized, attempting to instigate violence **** go to jail immediately before they go on murder sprees. Seriously, overwhelmingly, it's been the right-wingers murdering people and cops, but when one of their own dies while causing trouble, it's time for a revolution! Yeah, I'm calling that what it is. A convenient excuse.
It’s America. In the sixties the police realized that if one simply beats peaceful protesters eventually one of them will raise an arm in self-defense.
At that point the police would simply beat the **** out of all of them.
Because “resisting arrest.”

It’s called a “police riot” for a reason.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:33 PM   #204
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The Germans (and others from countries with experience for authoritarians) have been trying to tell Americans this for four years.
Yeah but a bunch of nihilistic trolls on the internet who have gotten their first erection since Reagan because of how triggered the libs have gotten are telling me they're just being dramatic, so I don't know who to believe.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:52 PM   #205
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Joe Biden is a Low Energy Candidate the likes of which we have never seen before. The last thing our country needs is a Low Energy Individulal, especially when surrounded by High Energy Chess Players scattered all over the world. He’s back in his basement now - no schedule!
I don't know, Bob Dole, John Kerry, George Bush the Elder, Al Gore - they were all pretty "low energy".
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:02 PM   #206
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I am not unsympathetic to that guy's message, but he essentially repeats the same paragraph over and over. We (or our parents) experienced the takeover of authoritarianism; only we can recognize it; we can't warn you any harder. There's no information on how to fight it. Simply despair.

Shortly after the 2016 election one forum member (or maybe more than one) posted that he was going to stop posting; there was too much work to be done IRL. I wonder how that worked out.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:05 PM   #207
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is surprising: the latest CNN poll has Biden's highest support is among seniors 65+ at 57%. Senior traditionally vote more conservative. His second highest is among those younger than 35.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:18 PM   #208
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This is surprising: the latest CNN poll has Biden's highest support is among seniors 65+ at 57%. Senior traditionally vote more conservative. His second highest is among those younger than 35.
I find it encouraging that so many old people react poorly to being told they're expendable. I know that seems like a no-brainer, but since broad-based Trump support in general sort of mystifies me, I thought more seniors might agree that their lives really aren't worth protecting.

I know people supposedly get more conservative as they age, but that's the thing about Trump - IMO he is not conservative. Biden is the more conservative choice.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:19 PM   #209
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
At that point the police would simply beat the **** out of all of them.
Or start shooting.
If or when this happens during 2020 or 2021, I imagine the country will be equally split, probably along party lines, about whether it's justifiable for national guardsmen to open fire at a peaceful assembly of college students.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:07 PM   #210
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Stay classy Trump....

Business Insider
President Donald Trump told Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a former White House press secretary, to go to North Korea and take one "for the team" after Kim Jong Un appeared to wink at her during a summit in 2018..."Kim Jong Un hit on you!" Trump said...
Sanders replied, "Sir, please stop."..."Well, Sarah, that settles it. You're going to North Korea and taking one for the team!" Trump told her...Trump and Kelly then "howled with laughter," Sanders said.

Nice to see Trump treating the women-folk of his administration so well.

Is it a believable story? Well, its coming from Sanders, who did leave the Trump administration, but unlike others (such as The Mooch and Cohen) I think she still remains on good terms, so its less likely she would have made something up.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:11 PM   #211
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Stay classy Trump....

Business Insider
President Donald Trump told Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a former White House press secretary, to go to North Korea and take one "for the team" after Kim Jong Un appeared to wink at her during a summit in 2018..."Kim Jong Un hit on you!" Trump said...
Sanders replied, "Sir, please stop."..."Well, Sarah, that settles it. You're going to North Korea and taking one for the team!" Trump told her...Trump and Kelly then "howled with laughter," Sanders said.

Nice to see Trump treating the women-folk of his administration so well.

Is it a believable story? Well, its coming from Sanders, who did leave the Trump administration, but unlike others (such as The Mooch and Cohen) I think she still remains on good terms, so its less likely she would have made something up.
Most important aspect is that she tried to get him to stop and he wouldn't.

Add Sarah to the #metoo movement
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:14 PM   #212
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I find it encouraging that so many old people react poorly to being told they're expendable. I know that seems like a no-brainer, but since broad-based Trump support in general sort of mystifies me, I thought more seniors might agree that their lives really aren't worth protecting.

I know people supposedly get more conservative as they age, but that's the thing about Trump - IMO he is not conservative. Biden is the more conservative choice.
It apparently hasn't escaped their notice that COVID-19 has been destroying senior care facilities.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:28 PM   #213
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I would remind you that we seniors are the hippies and Viet Nam war protesters of the 1960's.

And Trump is no conservative.
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:38 PM   #214
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Some things just don’t get any crazier. Just call me Kate, problem over!
Quote Tweet

TheBlaze
Oregon sheriffs unload on Dem Gov. Kate Brown for trying to use their deputies to quell Portland violence https://bit.ly/2DiQS7h
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:39 PM   #215
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Mayor Wheeler just got harassed out of his own home in Portland by so-called “friendly protesters”. The Anarchists, Agitators and Looters treat him HORRIBLY, even though he is so nice and respectful to them. Criminals only understand strength!

The Dow Jones Industrial just closed above 29,000! You are so lucky to have me as your President With Joe Hiden’ it would crash
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:40 PM   #216
Armitage72
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

We had FAR more people (many millions) watching us at the RNC than did Sleepy Joe and the DNC, and yet an ad just ran saying the opposite. This is what we’re up against. Lies. But we will WIN!

I case people were curious exactly what ad he's referencing.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

They're reaching their target audience. Him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:43 PM   #217
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Can you believe what’s happening!? They give Joe Hiden’ the questions, and he reads them an answer!

‘Topline Message': Trump Campaign Accuses Joe Biden of Reading Script Notes Aloud
Former Vice President Joe Biden is facing scrutiny for an odd interview moment, with the Trump campaign accusing him of reading a line that was only meant as an instructional note.
breitbart.com
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:45 PM   #218
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I case people were curious exactly what ad he's referencing.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

They're reaching their target audience. Him.
I hope they do a follow-up ad on how they got to Trump .
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:46 PM   #219
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Trump Tweets

OK, Kate.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:07 PM   #220
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I would remind you that we seniors are the hippies and Viet Nam war protesters of the 1960's.

And Trump is no conservative.
No need to remind me as I'm in that 65+ group myself. Damn it.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:14 PM   #221
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
OK, Kate.
Problem over!
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:17 PM   #222
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Mayor Wheeler just got harassed out of his own home in Portland by so-called “friendly protesters”. The Anarchists, Agitators and Looters treat him HORRIBLY, even though he is so nice and respectful to them. Criminals only understand strength!

The Dow Jones Industrial just closed above 29,000! You are so lucky to have me as your President With Joe Hiden’ it would crash
Notice he doesn't mention the 10% unemployment rate?
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:24 PM   #223
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Trump Tweets

OK, Kate.
Now he has a new problem: which bathroom will he use?

Old 2nd September 2020, 04:18 PM   #224
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Biden's facing-off with Trump at the national level : Senate seats are a State-level subject. It's up to the State Democratic Party to point up the connection.
I know it is a state-level position. However, the Dems should be trying to "nationalize" every race down to the dog catcher to make it a referendum on Trump. That has to start with Biden.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 04:23 PM   #225
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Understood. But I suspect even they are seeing that being the only rats staying on this rapidly sinking ship captained by a cross-eyed lunatic criminal is perhaps not the best career-advancing option after all.
Oh, I think quite a few congresscritters see Trump for the Albatross he is. But it's too late - the Trump train has left the station and the next stop isn't until Nov. 4.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 04:32 PM   #226
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Now he has a new problem: which bathroom will he use?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...01b88711a9.png
You need two other signs, one with a camera and the other with a TV!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 04:39 PM   #227
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
More on Kurt Schlichter:

Quote:
Schlichter has been curdling and festering into a base sludge of aggrievement at forgotten right-wing websites for years. After a brief stint at Breitbart, in 2012 he began writing thrice-weekly columns at TownHall, a site that parades endless op-eds by conservative also-rans that are on par with your average cranky letter-to-the-editor. His columns have titles like “Liberals’ Hatred Will Inevitably Turn Into Violence,” “It Is the Sacred Duty of All Conservatives to Own the Libs,” and “Buy Ammo.” Schlicter’s pieces are incoherent, barely topical screeds about pronoun-obsessed pinko commie elites who sip “Chardonnay and Zimas” and have a visceral hatred for real Americans like him, whom he calls “Normal Americans.”
https://theoutline.com/post/8100/kur...=1&zi=tmmuexbu
Reading the comments to his posts is like watching the worst horror movie. The Townhall commentariat is boatload of cultists who seem to buy every conspiracy that comes down the pike.
Old 2nd September 2020, 05:48 PM   #228
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Oh, I think quite a few congresscritters see Trump for the Albatross he is. But it's too late - the Trump train has left the station and the next stop isn't until Nov. 4.
Nov. 3
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:07 PM   #229
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Reading the comments to his posts is like watching the worst horror movie. The Townhall commentariat is boatload of cultists who seem to buy every conspiracy that comes down the pike.
Buy stock in tin foil. They're all making lots of hats.
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:09 PM   #230
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Trump blames racism in policing on 'bad apples' during visit to Kenosha

He obviously doesn’t know that a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.
One bad apple don't spoil
The whole bunch, girl
Give it one more time
Before you give up on love
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:11 PM   #231
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Quote Tweet

TheBlaze
Oregon sheriffs unload on Dem Gov. Kate Brown for trying to use their deputies to quell Portland violence https://bit.ly/2DiQS7h
I can't find that Tweet -- it may have been deleted.

I for one would like to see "Kate" take over for "Karen".
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:29 PM   #232
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Notice he doesn't mention the 10% unemployment rate?
Biden needs to spend time talking about unemployment and people who can't pay the rent, whose businesses are being lost, and maybe the Lincoln project can throw in a bit about how Mnuchin made his money with a voice asking, are they planning to sweep up all these bankrupt buildings again?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:52 PM   #233
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Employment will bounce back, and Trump can finagle the numbers to make it look better than it is till November.
At this stage, unemployment is not a winning topic for Biden.
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:32 PM   #234
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Employment will bounce back, and Trump can finagle the numbers to make it look better than it is till November.
At this stage, unemployment is not a winning topic for Biden.
I totally disagree. Trump's greatest strength was the economy even though he was riding on the coattails of the Obama/ Biden economy. When he came in, unemployment was 3.6%. It's now at about 10%. Employment is not going to "bounce back" anytime soon despite the rosy outlook you seem to embrace until the pandemic is under control.
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:41 PM   #235
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I totally disagree. Trump's greatest strength was the economy even though he was riding on the coattails of the Obama/ Biden economy. When he came in, unemployment was 3.6%. It's now at about 10%. Employment is not going to "bounce back" anytime soon despite the rosy outlook you seem to embrace until the pandemic is under control.
I disagree. I think that President Trump will be able to sell the "millions of jobs created" message to enough people to make a difference.

Any job losses were down to the "China Virus", Democrats, NAFTA and so on.

Any new jobs are down to President Trump.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:42 PM   #236
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

And right now, not only is the pandemic not under control, the very medical authority supposed to be trying to do so has joined the groups actively fighting any measures that could control it, as though the US was the only country in the world.
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:09 PM   #237
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Time to poke at things!

First things first - Trump encourages North Carolina residents to vote twice to test mail-in system. Yes, you read that right. Trump just exhorted a huge number of people to commit a felony. Criminal incitement?

Elsewhere, Georgia voting suppression news time! And let me state that am quite unhappy that new development just keep happening on this front.

Quote:
We found 198,351 Georgia voters who supposedly moved from their registration addresses who, in fact, have not moved at all, and therefore were wrongly purged, a 63.3% error rate. Again, this is not a "sampling" of the list, but a detailed name-by-name review of the addresses of the citizens that the Secretary of State eliminated from the state’s voter rolls.The conclusion is conservative, because the 63.3% error rate does not including the of tens of thousands of other citizens who have moved within their neighborhood, some within their buildings. (The National Voter Registration Act prohibits cancelling the registration of those who move within their voting jurisdiction.)

<snip>

For reasons explained herein, the cancellations concentrate among younger citizens and citizens of color.
*sigh*

Moving on... Leaked document warns of 'serious errors' in census data under fast-tracked timeline
The document is the latest indication of the issues plaguing the Census Bureau as it seeks to fulfill its constitutional mandate to count all persons living in the U.S.

Yep, the educated warnings of problems do seem to be coming true.

Next - a poll, just because.

YouGov - Do you think the violence happening at protests will get better, get worse or will it stay the same if Donald Trump is reelected President in 2020?

18% say better (46% of Republicans say better)
15% say no change
56% say worse
11% say don't know

Dishonest Don's ploy seems to be not working so well.
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:17 PM   #238
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I disagree. I think that President Trump will be able to sell the "millions of jobs created" message to enough people to make a difference.

Any job losses were down to the "China Virus", Democrats, NAFTA and so on.

Any new jobs are down to President Trump.
But they're not "new" new jobs at all; they're just old jobs being refilled. A simple display of unemployment numbers will show that. Any fool should understand that.
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:20 PM   #239
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Trump threatens to cut aid to cities:

"Wednesday's memo instructs the US attorney general William Barr to compile a list of "anarchist jurisdictions" that "permitted violence and the destruction of property to persist and have refused to undertake reasonable measures".

Mr Trump has also asked the White House budget director Russell Vought to issue guidance within 30 days "to the heads of agencies on restricting eligibility of or otherwise disfavouring, to the maximum extent permitted by law, anarchist jurisdictions in the receipt of federal grants."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN25U003
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:40 PM   #240
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

But they're not "new" new jobs at all; they're just old jobs being refilled. A simple display of unemployment numbers will show that. Any fool should understand that.
You know that, I know that, but I'm pretty sure that there may be enough people who don't for it to make a difference.

President Trump can just keep pushing the "Millions of jobs created and Sleepy Joe Hidin' Biden will destroy them again" and the right wing media will broadcast it incessantly. In swing states, this may be enough for low information voters - who are in any case more likely to vote for President Trump.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics