IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:47 PM   #241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Time to poke at things!

First things first - Trump encourages North Carolina residents to vote twice to test mail-in system. Yes, you read that right. Trump just exhorted a huge number of people to commit a felony. Criminal incitement?
Like asking Russia to interfere? No one can address it because the colluders rule the Senate. But just where are these voters supposed to get an additional ballot? And is Trump going to pay their court costs and pardon them if they try it?

Quote:
Elsewhere, Georgia voting suppression news time! And let me state that am quite unhappy that new development just keep happening on this front.
Voter caging.

Quote:
I hope when Biden is elected he can still fix this.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:50 PM   #242
Aber
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You need two other signs, one with a camera and the other with a TV!
Well played sir.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:53 PM   #243
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You know that, I know that, but I'm pretty sure that there may be enough people who don't for it to make a difference.

President Trump can just keep pushing the "Millions of jobs created and Sleepy Joe Hidin' Biden will destroy them again" and the right wing media will broadcast it incessantly. In swing states, this may be enough for low information voters - who are in any case more likely to vote for President Trump.
That same argument could be made for almost every lie Trump tells.That doesn't mean Biden should just let him do without pushing back.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:34 AM   #244
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But they're not "new" new jobs at all; they're just old jobs being refilled. A simple display of unemployment numbers will show that. Any fool should understand that.
You know that, I know that.
Republicans don't give a ****.
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:43 AM   #245
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
OK, Kate.
Hey, I just met you
barely know you
but here's my number
so call me Katie!
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:51 AM   #246
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You need two other signs, one with a camera and the other with a TV!
I just imagined a third sign with an orange figure labelled "KATE", but your idea is much better .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:11 AM   #247
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

You know that, I know that, but I'm pretty sure that there may be enough people who don't for it to make a difference.

President Trump can just keep pushing the "Millions of jobs created and Sleepy Joe Hidin' Biden will destroy them again" and the right wing media will broadcast it incessantly. In swing states, this may be enough for low information voters - who are in any case more likely to vote for President Trump.
I dunno. I think plenty of voters will back Trump even if they don't think he'll makes things better. If we live in a post-factual world, some voters won't give a rat's ass about the issues. It may not matter how things are going. Maybe that will help Trump, or maybe not. Who hasn't decided how they'll vote? Trump may have an enthusiastic base but they're outnumbered. It may be down to turnout.

Meanwhile, the state Republican Party has sent me reminders to vote and how to make sure I'm registered. Zip from the Dems so far. They ought to be out knocking on doors. Surely the DNC know this? They've got a lot going for them, and a whole lot of people to help with messaging. But it takes some leadership from as many prominent people as possible. Barack turns up at my door, I'll be eating out of his hand
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:24 AM   #248
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That same argument could be made for almost every lie Trump tells.That doesn't mean Biden should just let him do without pushing back.
That's absolutely right.

Biden needs to be very careful about how he approaches it though. Being seen to be hectoring someone who has "created millions of jobs" for not creating millions more may backfire badly.

Personally I think it should be done, but I cannot for the life of me work out how without risking significant blowback.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:26 AM   #249
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I dunno. I think plenty of voters will back Trump even if they don't think he'll makes things better. If we live in a post-factual world, some voters won't give a rat's ass about the issues. It may not matter how things are going. Maybe that will help Trump, or maybe not. Who hasn't decided how they'll vote? Trump may have an enthusiastic base but they're outnumbered. It may be down to turnout.

Meanwhile, the state Republican Party has sent me reminders to vote and how to make sure I'm registered. Zip from the Dems so far. They ought to be out knocking on doors. Surely the DNC know this? They've got a lot going for them, and a whole lot of people to help with messaging. But it takes some leadership from as many prominent people as possible. Barack turns up at my door, I'll be eating out of his hand
I think it will - and whether the Trump Administration manages to throw postal voting in doubt.

If the GOP can suppress enough votes then they stand a fighting chance of retaining the Presidency and Senate and winning back the House.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:37 AM   #250
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ford is cutting 1,400 jobs, United Airlines is furloughing 16,000 employees. Expect other auto companies and airlines to follow suit. Anyone who thinks that unemployment is going to go down is only fooling themselves.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:12 AM   #251
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

My Administration will do everything in its power to prevent weak mayors and lawless cities from taking Federal dollars while they let anarchists harm people, burn buildings, and ruin lives and businesses. We’re putting them on notice today.
@RussVought45
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:20 AM   #252
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Ford is cutting 1,400 jobs, United Airlines is furloughing 16,000 employees. Expect other auto companies and airlines to follow suit. Anyone who thinks that unemployment is going to go down is only fooling themselves.
The headline is "10 million jobs created".

It doesn't matter that these aren't new jobs, just a fraction of the lost jobs returning, or that thousands of other jobs are being lost in other sectors, President Trump has that headline figure to boast about and for the right wing media to broadcast.
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:29 AM   #253
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

My Administration will do everything in its power to prevent weak mayors and lawless cities from taking Federal dollars while they let anarchists harm people, burn buildings, and ruin lives and businesses. We’re putting them on notice today.
@RussVought45
And as has been pointed out repeatedly, this is not trump's prerogative.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:51 AM   #254
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Time to poke at things!

First things first - Trump encourages North Carolina residents to vote twice to test mail-in system. Yes, you read that right. Trump just exhorted a huge number of people to commit a felony. Criminal incitement?

“I was just testing whether this state can detect voter fraud when I showed up to vote a second time”

is about as good a defense as

“I broke into the bank just to test whether it has a good alarm system.”
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:36 AM   #255
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Governors Andrew Cuomo of New York has the worst record on death and China Virus. 11,000 people alone died in Nursing Homes because of his incompetence!
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:08 AM   #256
Aber
Master Poster

Biden needs to be very careful about how he approaches it though. Being seen to be hectoring someone who has "created millions of jobs" for not creating millions more may backfire badly.
"Are there more American's working than when I was Vice President?" should cover it.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:11 AM   #257
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
"Are there more American's working than when I was Vice President?" should cover it.
Maybe "more Americans unemployed" is better just in case increases in the size of the labour force, or some other statistical anomaly mean that there were fewer Americans working on the last day he was Veep.
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:20 AM   #258
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I disagree. I think that President Trump will be able to sell the "millions of jobs created" message to enough people to make a difference.

Any job losses were down to the "China Virus", Democrats, NAFTA and so on.

Any new jobs are down to President Trump.
Only morons and ******** would believe a message like that. Unfortunately, they're about half of U.S. voters.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:49 AM   #259
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@NYGovCuomo should get his puppet New York prosecutors, who have been illegally after me and my family for years, to investigate his incompetent handling of the China Virus, and all of the deaths caused by this incompetence. It is at minimum a Nursing Home Scandal - 11,000 DEAD!

Sleepy Joe Hiden’ was acknowledged by his own people to have done a terrible job on a much easier situation, H1N1 Swine Flu. The OBiden Administration failed badly on this, & now he sits back in his basement and criticizes every move we make on the China Virus. DOING GREAT JOB!

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 3rd September 2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:39 AM   #260
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Based on the massive number of Unsolicited & Solicited Ballots that will be sent to potential Voters for the upcoming 2020 Election, & in order for you to MAKE SURE YOUR VOTE COUNTS & IS COUNTED, SIGN & MAIL IN your Ballot as EARLY as possible. On Election Day, or Early Voting,..

.....go to your Polling Place to see whether or not your Mail In Vote has been Tabulated (Counted). If it has you will not be able to Vote & the Mail In System worked properly. If it has not been Counted, VOTE (which is a citizen’s right to do). If your Mail In Ballot arrives....

....after you Vote, which it should not, that Ballot will not be used or counted in that your vote has already been cast & tabulated. YOU ARE NOW ASSURED THAT YOUR PRECIOUS VOTE HAS BEEN COUNTED, it hasn’t been “lost, thrown out, or in any way destroyed”. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:43 AM   #261
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

He seems to think that the workers at the polling stations are checking to see if people turning up to vote have also voted by mail.
He also seems to think that mail in votes have already been counted before election day?
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:00 AM   #262
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

He seems to think that the workers at the polling stations are checking to see if people turning up to vote have also voted by mail.
He also seems to think that mail in votes have already been counted before election day?
He is encouraging his followers to commit voter fraud and in most states a felony.

That will get you five years in prison around here. (Well, if you're black, maybe.)

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:13 AM   #263
carlosy
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
He is encouraging his followers to commit voter fraud and in most states a felony.

That will get you five years in prison around here. (Well, if you're black, maybe.)
Everyone who successfully demonstrated that double voting is possible will get a full pardon by Trump.

So, you're good to go!
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:14 AM   #264
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Do you notice that any time Fake News Suppression Polls are put out, like @FoxNews, the Stock Market goes DOWN. We are going to WIN!

@FoxNews Polls are, as in the past, Fake News. They have been from the beginning, way off in 2016. Get a new pollster. I believe we are leading BIG!
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:38 AM   #265
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Do you notice that any time Fake News Suppression Polls are put out, like @FoxNews, the Stock Market goes DOWN. We are going to WIN!

@FoxNews Polls are, as in the past, Fake News. They have been from the beginning, way off in 2016. Get a new pollster. I believe we are leading BIG!
Wow... he retconned them right into the enemy camp. Eastasia anyone?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:58 AM   #266
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

You are mistaken. Trump is incapable of thinking.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:23 AM   #267
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
@FoxNews Polls are, as in the past, Fake News. They have been from the beginning, way off in 2016.
Kate begs the question, like when he/she/they hires people he apparently knows to be incompetent, corrupt liars.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:24 AM   #268
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have wondered how those checks are done, rather than relying on the honor system.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:36 AM   #269
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Eric Trump Tweets

@EricTrump
The Dow is on FireFireFire
You know the radical left is melting down as we speak knowing that our economy is roaring back to life! !
#USAUSAUSA
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:44 AM   #270
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have wondered how those checks are done, rather than relying on the honor system.

In some states, absentee voters are removed from the poll book when it’s generated for Election Day. If you get there and have already voted absentee, you shouldn’t be able to vote again. If there’s a mixup, you can insist on a provisional ballot though.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:08 AM   #271
Sherkeu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
And as has been pointed out repeatedly, this is not trump's prerogative.
As for cutting some Fed funds to cities....

One example...I am sure there are more:

Office of Community Oriented Policing Services

There are some Federal Dollars that come as grants from the DOJ. Police dept's need to apply for them.

The reason for the funding to help fund hiring, training, community services, and mental help for police forces. It including 'anti-bias' training.

If some police departments are cutting their budgets (or trying to defund altogether) in response to the protesters, then they hardly need this Federal funding anymore, right?

Wisconsin just received a grant for $41M.

This is a Department thing but the funds are given as incentives to improve specific things. If funds are not used/needed for that purpose, then of course they will not be granted. (Trump cant decide on his own!)

Last edited by Sherkeu; 3rd September 2020 at 11:10 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:10 AM   #272
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
In some states, absentee voters are removed from the poll book when it’s generated for Election Day. If you get there and have already voted absentee, you shouldn’t be able to vote again. If there’s a mixup, you can insist on a provisional ballot though.
To speak for where I am, if you *apply* for a mail in ballot, you cannot then vote in person, though a provisional ballot can be used.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:17 AM   #273
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
As for cutting some Fed funds to cities....

One example...I am sure there are more:

Office of Community Oriented Policing Services

There are some Federal Dollars that come as grants from the DOJ. Police dept's need to apply for them.

The reason for the funding to help fund hiring, training, community services, and mental help for police forces. It including 'anti-bias' training.
And training in killology because the police are not killing often enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...dave-grossman/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:20 AM   #274
Sherkeu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And training in killology because the police are not killing often enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...dave-grossman/

It's behind a paywall, but, just looking at the date of early 2017 and referencing events from several months earlier in the first few lines (which I could see), that grant and those courses would have been under the oversight of AG Holder, under Obama.
Did they not know about it? I could not read the article to determine if it is even related to what I posted above.

eta: the COPS program was started under another law, under Bill Clinton. That big crime bill:
Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994

Last edited by Sherkeu; 3rd September 2020 at 11:24 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:23 AM   #275
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The headline is "10 million jobs created".

It doesn't matter that these aren't new jobs, just a fraction of the lost jobs returning, or that thousands of other jobs are being lost in other sectors, President Trump has that headline figure to boast about and for the right wing media to broadcast.
That may be, but a lot of those people that are actually unemployed now or who are going to lose their jobs between now and the election are Republicans.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:25 AM   #276
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That may be, but a lot of those people that are actually unemployed now or who are going to lose their jobs between now and the election are Republicans.
IMO they'll vote for President Trump even if they've lost their jobs because he'll get than back
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:26 AM   #277
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It's behind a paywall, but, just looking at the date of early 2017 and referencing events from several months earlier in the first few lines (which I could see), that grant and those courses would have been under the oversight of AG Holder, under Obama.
Did they not know about it? I could not read the article to determine if it is even related to what I posted above.
It is an example of the real training that police receive, how to have better sex through killing people.

"Fittingly, the most chilling scene in the movie doesn’t take place on a city street, or at a protest, or during a drug raid. It takes place in a conference room. It’s from a police training conference with Dave Grossman, one of the most prolific police trainers in the country. Grossman’s classes teach officers to be less hesitant to use lethal force, urge them to be willing to do it more quickly and teach them how to adopt the mentality of a warrior. Jeronimo Yanez, the Minnesota police officer who shot and killed Philando Castile in July, had attended one of Grossman’s classes called “The Bulletproof Warrior” (though that particular class was taught by Grossman’s business partner, Jim Glennon).
In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”
Grossman closes the class with a (literal) chest-pounding motivational speech that climaxes with Grossman telling the officers to find an overpass overlooking the city they serve. He urges them to look down on their city and know that they’ve made the world a better place. He then urges them to grip the overpass railing, lean forward and “let your cape blow in the wind.” The room gives him a standing ovation."

Here is another article on the same training.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ilitarization/

He is one of the biggest names in police training and advocating for a more violent police force.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:37 AM   #278
Sherkeu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is an example of the real training that police receive, how to have better sex through killing people.

He is one of the biggest names in police training and advocating for a more violent police force.
I do not understand how this relates to my post about FUNDING.
My post was in relation to Federal funding for specific training- relating to 'community policing'. This is more stuff like 'ride alongs' and visits to 'Boys & Girls Club" bias training, mental breaks, etc...

What does this class, by this person, have to do with Trump's letter to possibly cut Federal funds?
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:40 AM   #279
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I do not understand how this relates to my post about FUNDING.
My post was in relation to Federal funding for specific training- relating to 'community policing'. This is more stuff like 'ride alongs' and visits to 'Boys & Girls Club" bias training, mental breaks, etc...

What does this class, by this person, have to do with Trump's letter to possibly cut Federal funds?
A knee jerk reaction I have to the claims that training is any kind of solution to the problem of police violence. Unless that is that the police are not violent enough.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:51 AM   #280
carlitos
"más divertido"

Which has nothing to do with whether it is or isn’t Trumps prerogative to cut federal funding to local police.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics