IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:56 PM   #321
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It is a collection of memetic phrases picked out of HBO's Chernobyl where various figures (in some cases knowingly) repeat dubious information over and over to reassure others the situation is totally fine.

All contrary evidence is met with these intractable factoids.

I do find the series an entirely appropriate metaphor for the current situation. Truth is subordinate to political convenience, decisions are made by unqualified bureaucrats chosen for loyalty rather than competence, etc.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:59 PM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Are you serious or are you just looking for posts to **** on today?
They didn't capitalize it, they didn't say "in the". In fact they said: "40% of us".

Don't blame me for asking them to clarify their bad grammar!

Next time don't be such a dick claiming I might be looking for posts to **** on.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd September 2020 at 03:11 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:03 PM   #323
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You didn't capitalize it, you didn't say "in the". In fact you said: "40% of us".

Don't blame me for asking you to clarify your bad grammar!
Every part of that sentence is wrong including your point and who you think you're talking to.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:03 PM   #324
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You didn't capitalize it, you didn't say "in the". In fact you said: "40% of us".

Don't blame me for asking you to clarify your bad grammar!
1. It wasn't my post. Read for comprehension.
2. Are you sure he meant "US" or is it just barely possible that he considers both himself and Trump supporters to be US citizens and thus we are them, as in "us?" See above re: comprehension. Also see previous post regarding you going out of your way to find something to **** on.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:04 PM   #325
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

[snipped a bunch of crap.]
She wasn't walking into a store. She was the only one there and had just finished getting the shampoo. It's like moving from the shampoo sink to the stylist chair. Maybe you are unfamiliar with salons.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:06 PM   #326
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It is a collection of memetic phrases picked out of HBO's Chernobyl where various figures (in some cases knowingly) repeat dubious information over and over to reassure others the situation is totally fine.

All contrary evidence is met with these intractable factoids.

I do find the series an entirely appropriate metaphor for the current situation. Truth is subordinate to political convenience, decisions are made by unqualified bureaucrats chosen for loyalty rather than competence, etc.
Thanks. I loved that series but didn't remember the meme.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:06 PM   #327
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Après vous, M. Président.

I think it would be a good talking point taunt.
“President Trump urged all North Carolinians to vote twice. I say, ‘please do not vote twice until you see President Trump do it himself.‘ If he’s afraid to do it, then you shouldn’t either.”
FYFFY (Fixed your French for you)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:07 PM   #328
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Every part of that sentence is wrong including your point and who you think you're talking to.

I was responding to the post. I shall change you to they.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd September 2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:10 PM   #329
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

She wasn't walking into a store. She was the only one there and had just finished getting the shampoo. It's like moving from the shampoo sink to the stylist chair. Maybe you are unfamiliar with salons.
You know why I don't wear a mask when I shampoo my hair? Because I'm at home. If I was in a salon - something with which I am familiar - and thus breathing right up into the air the person washing my hair is breathing, I'd wear a ******* mask. I'd do this because I've never gotten a wash in a salon that resulted in any water on my face (and, before you start, yeah I'm a dude and I've worn shoulder-length hair for years at a time). If I was concerned about the mask getting wet, I'd bring a spare to put on after the wash if necessary.

Seriously, I don't get why you want to defend this so hard. Even accepting that you're a Pelosi-stan, you should at least acknowledge that she should be wearing a mask when in extended close proximity to someone with whom she doesn't live.

ETA: Also, if my city was requiring salons to operate outdoors, I wouldn't walk into one at all.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:15 PM   #330
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Whoopteedo Babby. It was Pelosi, not you, and your expectations were ridiculous.

I think we're done here.

Fell free to rant on.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:17 PM   #331
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Whoopteedo Babby. It was Pelosi, not you, and your expectations were ridiculous.

I think we're done here.

Fell free to rant on.
Please use my full name when you're so very proudly slinking away.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:23 PM   #332
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I just find it ridiculous that Trump, who says wearing a mask is "patriotic" but doesn't wear one the vast majority of the time so fails the 'lead by example' test, would go after Pelosi on this. It's obvious his real objective was to name call and bully Pelosi in his usual childish manner because that's how he gets his kicks. He's just a pig of a man.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:26 PM   #333
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I just find it ridiculous that Trump, who says wearing a mask is "patriotic" but doesn't wear one the vast majority of the time so fails the 'lead by example' test, would go after Pelosi on this. It's obvious his real objective was to name call and bully Pelosi in his usual childish manner because that's how he gets his kicks. He's just a pig of a man.
No doubt. If hypocrisy was an Olympic sport, he'd have more medals than whatshisname the swimmer and theotherguy who was also a swimmer put together. Trump is completely without shame, like clinically.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:26 PM   #334
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

C’mon, people.

Can we put N. Pelosi in another thread.

Seeing all these salon posts here just reminds me of how easy it is for the Republicans to get the Democrats chasing their tail again and again.

Last edited by Ladewig; 3rd September 2020 at 03:27 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:31 PM   #335
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The only reason the Pelosi-salon story is a story is:

Covid-19 deaths = 190,000

Trumpanzees want the public to be distracted.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:34 PM   #336
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

C’mon, people.

Seeing all these salon posts here just reminds me of how easy it is for the Republicans to get the Democrats chasing their tail again and again.
C'mon, people.

Trump tweets about it, the media makes it a big deal, people on a forum react. It is what it is. I'm sure you're above it all, but most of us are way down here talking about what's being talked about. Few of us, however, forget the more important things, but if we do you'll remind us by...telling us what not to talk about?
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:41 PM   #337
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

C'mon, people.

Trump tweets about it, the media makes it a big deal, people on a forum react. It is what it is. I'm sure you're above it all, but most of us are way down here talking about what's being talked about. Few of us, however, forget the more important things, but if we do you'll remind us by...telling us what not to talk about?
I don’t think that suggesting a new thread is the same as saying “don’t talk about it”. And I doubt that you think it is the same either. This quoted post is really hyperbole, don’t you think?
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:43 PM   #338
Elagabalus
Philosopher

C’mon, people.

Sheesh. No kidding! I was about to ask SG if the salon story was only being talked about on Fox. I'm sure CNN MSNBC are all covering it too.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:47 PM   #339
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

C'mon, people.

Chasing tails it is.

I’m bowing out.
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:10 PM   #340
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I don’t think that suggesting a new thread is the same as saying “don’t talk about it”. And I doubt that you think it is the same either. This quoted post is really hyperbole, don’t you think?
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Sheesh. No kidding! I was about to ask SG if the salon story was only being talked about on Fox. I'm sure CNN MSNBC are all covering it too.
Chasing tails it is.

I’m bowing out.
This is a catch-all thread. If you want to discuss another aspect of the Trump Presidency, have at it. However the sniping about what aspects others are discussing is dumb. Very, very dumb. It's ineffective, rude, and arrogant.
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:22 PM   #341
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

This is a catch-all thread. If you want to discuss another aspect of the Trump Presidency, have at it. However the sniping about what aspects others are discussing is dumb. Very, very dumb. It's ineffective, rude, and arrogant.
Ok. Not sure why you quoted me but didn’t respond to what I said.

Pelosi’s hair cut is apparently vital to the political future of your country and needs to be discussed in the thread about Trump’s presidency. Please carry on.
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:24 PM   #342
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump and his cult definitely want to be talking about Pelosi's haircut because it's much better for them if people are not talking about Trump's Economic Depression and 190,000 covid-19 deaths.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:42 PM   #343
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you!!!
Quote Tweet

KDKA
@KDKA
“I’m not kidding, I truly believe that Donald Trump was sent by God." Supporters of President Trump were seen camping out at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport ahead of his rally tonight in Latrobe. https://cbsloc.al/3lLDtWG
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:43 PM   #344
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Joe Hiden’ gets off his airplane, grabs and shakes a rather stunned man’s hand (like in the old days), then touches his (Joe’s) face and mask with the same hand. No crowd, no enthusiasm for Joe today. Law & Order!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:44 PM   #345
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Thank you!!!
Quote Tweet

KDKA
@KDKA
“I’m not kidding, I truly believe that Donald Trump was sent by God." Supporters of President Trump were seen camping out at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport ahead of his rally tonight in Latrobe. https://cbsloc.al/3lLDtWG
That god! He can be such a practical joker!
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:03 PM   #346
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

(re: Trump's deleted and reappearing Tweet)
It came back again but with no changes! weird.
I have seen that happen before. I think he does it when certain comments are on the top so they can be deleted with the original Tweet. It's gotta be a hassle to try to keep up with him anyway.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"You don't seen graphite on the ground because there isn't any. An RBMK reactor core doesn't explode. 3.6 roetgnen an hour."
I figured you were going to have to explain this one since you used it a couple of times.
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:45 PM   #347
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I would suggest those that prompt his tweets have achieved their goal, people are talking about it as if it is something serious.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:46 PM   #348
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Nancy Pelosi says she got “set up” by a Beauty Parlor owner. Maybe the Beauty Parlor owner should be running the House of Representatives instead of Crazy Nancy?
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:48 PM   #349
slyjoe
Illuminator

Military (active duty or veterans) may not want to read this

Trump thinks those who died or were wounded serving their country are losers.

Quote:
Trump has been, for the duration of his presidency, fixated on staging military parades, but only of a certain sort. In a 2018 White House planning meeting for such an event, Trump asked his staff not to include wounded veterans, on grounds that spectators would feel uncomfortable in the presence of amputees. “Nobody wants to see that,” he said.

Why any member of a military family would vote for this SOB is beyond me.

Other examples (e.g., McCain, John Kelly's son) in the article from The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uckers/615997/
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:20 PM   #350
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Nov. 3
Nov. 4
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:26 PM   #351
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Remember how Stubby McBonespurs was going to bring jobs back to the U.S.? Remember all of his trade wars that were meant to deal with companies being "unfair" to the United states?

From The Hill
The trade deficit in July spiked 18.9 percent to $63.6 billion, the highest since July 2008...

Much like so may other times before, Trump promises one thing, and delivers completely the opposite (such as his claims of eliminating the fiscal deficit, which started increasing because of republican tax cuts.)

Unfortunately, things like Trade deficits are not something that gets a lot of attention from voters.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:27 PM   #352
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Nancy Pelosi says she got “set up” by a Beauty Parlor owner. Maybe the Beauty Parlor owner should be running the House of Representatives instead of Crazy Nancy?
Maybe the beauty parlor owner should be US president. Couldn't do a worse job than you.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:27 PM   #353
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
And right now, not only is the pandemic not under control, the very medical authority supposed to be trying to do so has joined the groups actively fighting any measures that could control it, as though the US was the only country in the world.
I don't know what authority you're talking about nor what they did. Please explain.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:38 PM   #354
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Trump thinks those who died or were wounded serving their country are losers.

Why any member of a military family would vote for this SOB is beyond me.

Other examples (e.g., McCain, John Kelly's son) in the article from The Atlantic.
Don't forget...
- Taking money from military projects (some that were meant to improve the lives of military families) in order to fund his wall.
- Increasing military deployments to the middle east, not because there is a security issue but because Saudi Arabia is paying

(And the article also mentions Trump not giving a speech in France to commemorate vetrans because the rain would mess up his hair.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:40 PM   #355
carlitos
"más divertido"

I got a haircut today. Mask throughout - I put it on in the car as usual. Almost everyone around here wears one outdoors downtown. I held the mask on when they did around the ears.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:45 PM   #356
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Trump threatens to cut aid to cities:

"Wednesday's memo instructs the US attorney general William Barr to compile a list of "anarchist jurisdictions" that "permitted violence and the destruction of property to persist and have refused to undertake reasonable measures".
Here is the memo itself. I'm biased but I hear Steven Miller talking as I read it.

You'll enjoy this: The guideline for taking action is .... wait for it .... two weeks.

Bahahahahahaha.
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:13 PM   #357
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Fox ran the story, Tucker Carlson amplified it, the salon owner is making money off it plus she's a Trump supporter, a twofur for her, Pelosi had to respond that it was a set-up... so yeah it is all over the news.

But it belongs in the 2020 election thread so I'll copy paste this post over to there.
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:14 PM   #358
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I don't know what authority you're talking about nor what they did. Please explain.
The CDC. Not only handing ammunition to downplayers by splitting up causes of death (so I've already heard all about less than 10k have died of covid, it's not serious at all) but now they've bought up a million doses of flu vaccine for Trump to hand out to whoever kisses his butt hard enough, that were supposed to be going to clinics to be dispensed there. Doses those clinics ordered last year and now suddenly aren't getting, but perhaps they might if their state's governor brown noses enough?
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:15 PM   #359
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Commander Bone Spurs honors fallen soldiers again.

Quote:
Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.
What a leader!! Jesus ******* Christ, just imagine any other president ******** on veterans the way this piece of garbage does. But he'll just call it fake news (everyone else is lying) and his idiotic sycophants will nod and drool. **** him and **** them.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:15 PM   #360
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Thank you!!!
Quote Tweet

KDKA
@KDKA
Gosh, it's like God stopping the rain for his inauguration.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics