IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2021, 02:46 PM   #161
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
As an aside, whilst Astra-Zenica may make no money out of the vaccine for covid, its Pulmicort turbohaler (and implicitly Symbicort) is the first drug shown to improve out of hospital mild covid. Significantly shortening illness and need for hospital admission. It may explain the paradox that asthmatics seemed relatively mildly affected by covid. I think AZ are about to make a load of money from their old asthma inhaler.

FWIW
I think Symbicort is a great asthma med; certainly my first choice for young asthmatics.
Slight quibble.
Both Pulmicort & Symbicort are brand names, the active drugs are Budesonide and Budesonide\Formoterol respectively
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 03:37 PM   #162
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I won't touch grape seed extract. I knew someone that took it, and the next day they DIED!

Grape Seed Extract = DEATH.

Keep it Simple
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 04:48 PM   #163
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Welcome back!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:00 PM   #164
p0lka
Master Poster

You've chosen to stay stuck with pharma at 60, at that age is when I chose to get out after an ER trip due to their drug.

And plenty have gotten improvement with their asthma issues with Grape Seed Extract, yeah another bull*** as some will post.

Hoping to find a new good group so you won't hear from me again.
I inject insulin several times a day, is that pharma?
If so, what do you suggest as a better alternative?
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:08 PM   #165
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I inject insulin several times a day, is that pharma?
If so, what do you suggest as a better alternative?
Yes, it's pharma, my suggestion don't get diabetes to begin with. Keep yourself healthy. Insulin is not the worst, if you need it you need it.

I've thought so much about my parent's lives they lived into early 90's, ate everything, dad drank all his life, but no diabetes.....

Polka, do you have ideas how they escaped it.

Keep it Simple

Last edited by Caroline13; 12th April 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:23 PM   #166
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yes, it's pharma, my suggestion don't get diabetes to begin with. Keep yourself healthy. Insulin is not the worst, if you need it you need it.

I've thought so much about my parent's lives they lived into early 90's, ate everything, dad drank all his life, but no diabetes.....

Research is your friend.

Quote:
Type 1 diabetes

Doctors don’t know exactly what causes type 1 diabetes. For some reason, the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas.

Genes may play a role in some people. It’s also possible that a virus sets off the immune system attack.

Type 2 diabetes

Type 2 diabetes stems from a combination of genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight or obese increases your risk too. Carrying extra weight, especially in your belly, makes your cells more resistant to the effects of insulin on your blood sugar.

This condition runs in families. Family members share genes that make them more likely to get type 2 diabetes and to be overweight.
https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes#causes

The answer is obvious: To prevent diabetes, pick yourself different parents.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:30 PM   #167
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I am glad to see you will no longer be peddling grape Seed extract, since now I have shown that it KILLS.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:32 PM   #168
p0lka
Master Poster

I'm type 1 diabetic which has nothing to do with lifestyle, it's more of an autoimmune condition.
Are you thinking of type 2? That seems to be more of a lifestyle thing, in which case maybe your parents weren't susceptible to it, I don't know.
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:59 PM   #169
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

U.S. hits record number of COVID-19 vaccinations.

Quote:
Over the weekend US practitioners administered a record number of COVID-19 vaccines, with more than 4 million shots distributed on Apr 10.

The daily average number of vaccines given is now over 3 million, as the country races to vaccinate adults within the next 6 weeks.
Thanks big pharma!
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 06:14 PM   #170
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

Yeah, I'm happier and thankful for the 1000's more flooding accross our border and causing MORE Covid Virus and more and more stress on America.

Are you happy too?
Do you have any unbiased evidence for this statement or is the more GQP scare mongering?
Old 12th April 2021, 06:17 PM   #171
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I am glad to see you will no longer be peddling grape Seed extract, since now I have shown that it KILLS.
No way, I would have been dead 25 yrs ago.

Grape Seed Extract and Insulin Resistance

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01889368

Here is one issue Grape Seed Extract kills.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0the%20extract.

And I know those with Type I are often born with it...and yes I know Type II can be genetic.

Keep it Simple

Last edited by Caroline13; 12th April 2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12th April 2021, 06:18 PM   #172
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

No I'd like to find a group(s) that have interests in all healing aspects. I am on other other groups but many are very slow, and one is also very closed minded like here, but I like their Game section, so I stay there.
You are mistaking close minded for skeptical. Provide scientific (e.g. peer reviewed double blind tests) evidence instead of crap from unproven web sites and you may change some minds. That's what skepticism is.
Old 12th April 2021, 06:23 PM   #173
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

And I know those with Type I are often born with it...and yes I know Type II can be genetic.
Grape Seed Extract kills people. I know someone who took it, and DIED. To advocate Grape Seed Extract, is to advocate for death.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 06:24 PM   #174
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Lrrr View Post
You are mistaking close minded for skeptical. Provide scientific (e.g. peer reviewed double blind tests) evidence instead of crap from unproven web sites and you may change some minds. That's what skepticism is.
If they don't want to believe my life story and my scientific info I post that is there LOSS.... I'm not a researcher, don't have scientific info published by me, just what I've been doing with Grape Seed Extract for 25 yrs.

And YES mega closed minds....closed minds abound but overflowing here.

Keep it Simple
Old 12th April 2021, 06:24 PM   #175
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Yes, it's pharma, my suggestion don't get diabetes to begin with.
What an incredibly insulting thing to say to people who have type 1 diabetes.

Maybe for your next trick you could go to St Jude's and tell a bunch of kids that they shouldn't have got leukemia.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 06:28 PM   #176
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

But even at the risk of appearing woefully ignorant, you just couldn't resist a snarky answer, could you?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 06:32 PM   #177
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

If they don't want to believe my life story...
Given the internal contradictions of said story, we'd be foolish to accept it without question. You should also learn to be skeptical of anecdotal stories you read on the internet.

Quote:
...And my scientific info I post...
You have yet to post anything scientific. You don't even know what science is.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 06:37 PM   #178
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Then why did you write it in the first place?

You clearly didn't know until it was pointed out to you.
Old 12th April 2021, 07:12 PM   #179
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

If they don't want to believe my life story . . .
It's not a question of want . . .
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 08:25 PM   #180
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

...you do know these are the same thing, right? Or is DNA still confusing to you.
Old 12th April 2021, 10:51 PM   #181
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01889368.
That looks like an interesting and worthwhile study, it's a shame the results were never reported. I wonder why not?

Quote:

This one is interesting, though I agree with the researchers own comment "This is very promising research, but it is too early to say this is chemo-protective."

Well done, much better sources than you usually quote, the second of which supports the webmd article I found and posted for you in another thread which suggested this particular herbal supplement may indeed have genuine benefits for people with certain conditions.

None of this, of course, supports your claim that you'd be dead if you hadn't taken it. You'd need to be able to point to a parallel universe in which you never took it and died to support that statement.
Old 13th April 2021, 03:31 AM   #182
Carrot Flower King
Muse

That is a very small scale TRIAL, not any results or conclusions or anything approaching a finished, published paper, which you could have linked to , if it exists.

Anyone might think you couldn't tell the difference...

Have you not spotted that many of us do actually read the links you post? And that you can't get away with trying to bluff us out or mislead us?

And you wonder why you are regarded as mendacious...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 03:42 AM   #183
Tero
Master Poster

Taking a lot of drugs? Use the PDR
https://www.amazon.com/2016-Physicia...s%2C199&sr=8-3
used copies 40 dollars
LD 50 of most drugs are in Wikipedia
"The oral LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of the population) of diazepam is 720 mg/kg in mice and 1240 mg/kg in rats."

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 04:05 AM   #184
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

It's not grape seeds, it's grapes. Crush 'em, I say. Crush 'em into a big fluid mess. Then just leave 'em. That'll learn 'em. (This was a commercial from Big Whine.)

Many years ago, Big Farmer organised it so that I was hit on the head by a cricket ball. They did this so that they could get my GP to prescribe me generic anti-convulsants at no charge to myself. Such is their demonic evilness.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 08:06 PM   #185
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
It's not grape seeds, it's grapes. Crush 'em, I say. Crush 'em into a big fluid mess. Then just leave 'em. That'll learn 'em. (This was a commercial from Big Whine.)

Many years ago, Big Farmer organised it so that I was hit on the head by a cricket ball. They did this so that they could get my GP to prescribe me generic anti-convulsants at no charge to myself. Such is their demonic evilness.
The crushed pulverized seeds are in the Extract product.

Keep it Simple
Old 13th April 2021, 08:07 PM   #186
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The crushed pulverized seeds are in the Extract product.
...which is sold to gullible rubes as a "food supplement", thereby increasing the profits of Big Wine and Big Vinegar.
Old 13th April 2021, 08:51 PM   #187
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I like the capitalized spelling Grape Seed Extract like anyone religious does God. It somehow deserves great respect?

Lower case 'god' is disrespectful and results in getting spanked.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 09:32 PM   #188
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

A good summary of the research on grape seed extract here:

https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/grape-seed-extract

Quote:
Some studies suggest that grape seed extract might help with symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency and with eye stress from glare, but the evidence isn’t strong.

Conflicting results have come from studies on grape seed extract’s effect on blood pressure. It’s possible that grape seed extract might help to slightly lower blood pressure in healthy people and those with high blood pressure, particularly in people who are obese or have metabolic syndrome. But people with high blood pressure should not take high doses of grape seed extract with vitamin C because the combination might worsen blood pressure.

A 2019 review of 15 studies involving 825 participants suggested that grape seed extract might help lower levels of LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, triglycerides, and the inflammatory marker C-reactive protein. The individual studies, however, were small in size, which could affect the interpretation of the results.
Old Yesterday, 03:45 AM   #189
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Here is a fascinating Smithsonian magazine article about that:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ugh-180975505/
Indeed, an odd story and odder consequences.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #190
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningPlease try to stay on topic, and refrain from personalising your posts.
Posted By:Agatha
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #191
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SOmeone called this GOP scaremongering.. Sad to say, you see a lot of this idiocy on the left as well from the "New Age" types.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; Yesterday at 12:35 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #192
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SOmeone called this GOP scaremongering.. Sad to say, you see a lot of this idiocy on the left as well from the "New Age" types.
Absolutely. From eastern beliefs and crystals to alt healing techniques. It's apolitical.
But it was Nancy that brought an astrologer to the White House (figuratively).

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #193
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
...which is sold to gullible rubes as a "food supplement", thereby increasing the profits of Big Wine and Big Vinegar.
And Big Raisin.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #194
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And Big Raisin.
Yeah! Them bastages!
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #195
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Big Brandy is the strongest of all these lobbyists.
Those are the ones really have a influence to deal with.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #196
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Are there any new agers in Congress? Does PETA raise millions of dollars based on their foolish notions? Can you raise a crowd to attack the capital based on some ethereal cosmic realignment?

I call false equivalence.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories