IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 10th April 2021, 02:27 PM   #3601
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You made a claim couched as a statement of fact, and failed to back it up with facts.... yet again!

You made this statement.... "cameras on a wide open accessible site mean one thing: a trap" Whatever BS and other crap you waffled on about, you claimed that this is the ONLY reason to install security cameras.
Is this what you are down to? Micro scrutinizing a figure of speech? Cheap in the extreme.

Quote:
Its "peace" of mind. Not only did you try to use the wrong word, you didn't even spell the wrong word correctly
...and ridiculing minor typos. By the way, had you kicked it in gear for a second, you'd see I only mistyped an "I" instead of an "a" when one-thumb tying on a phone. It happens. But you mindlessly assumed I mistyped a whole different word and misspelled that too? Whew. I overestimate you by a stretch.

Quote:
You don't know much about insurance do you? Ill get to that later in the post
In fact I do, including Builders Risk on a US Homeowners policy, as well as American Commercial Contractors Liability. You screwed that up too, but we'll get there later in the post.

Quote:
Yeah, ONE of the reasons, not the only reason as you claimed
Again, pettiness, not substance.

Quote:
Yeah, just because a security camera doesn't deter everyone, does not mean it didn't deter some people, and it doesn't mean that wasn't a reason for installing them. Try, for once in your life to see beyond your own, narrow, blinkered, preconceived theories
Already addressed. Man, you are dull. I'm proposing another explanation, backed by observation and reasoning. Arguable, of course. But your petty personalizing is boring.

Quote:
Oh yeah... and over here in the real world, owners of construction site actually DO install cameras literally for that very reason.
The real world, huh? I'm an actual American building contractor. What is your experience and insight on surveillance cameras on American jobsites? And before you squawk "anecdotal", post your own superior evidence.

Quote:
I can, and have, successfully claimed against insurance when a snatch & grab thief stole a $2500 camera kit out of a window display when the front door of the shop was open (as it always is during the shop open hours) while my staff members were attending to another customer in the print lab (i.e. no-one was in the front half of the shop). Not only did the insurance company pay out, I handed the surveillance footage to the police, and they caught the thief a few days later.
Lovely. Moving the goalposts, tho. I asked if it was wide open and unattended 24/7, as the site in question was. You super cheesily altered it to normal business hours with workers in attendance.

Quote:
So you have seen and reviewed ALL of the surveillance video?

If so, links please!
Just what was deemed relevant and released, as we all have. In fact, in the quote you hilited, I even said based on the months of security video released. You do see that right? Do you understand what it means?

You really need to work on your comprehension. Or be more honest. I always think these debates are supposed to be good natured. Thanks for continuing to open my eyes.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 10th April 2021 at 02:30 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2021, 02:52 PM   #3602
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I am questioning why English was so concerned about trespassers, apparently only of one specific skin color, when he can't be bothered to discourage trespassing in the usual ways. It's fair game, and I'd like to see anyone with any involvement scrutinized.

It was his property. A Facebook page was made to "citizen police" alleged theft there. He reports to the police apparently only black people. That's enough to narrow eyes at least a bit.
As I said, in the 911 call Nov 18 he said there were different people on camera the previous night and that he had called the police to report them. That most likely was the white couple.

"Keep an eye on the boat and kids". Plywood over the door would take care of kids, and probably anyone else. But he didn't do that. The place was wide open, but with multiple cameras inside and out. That's what makes me a little suspicious.

Eta: you might want to double check your sources (from memory?). Surveillance footage on the property has been shown from December 17, according to timestamped video provided in post #3210.
There are videos of Arbery 10/25/19, 11/18/19, 12/17/19, 2/11/20, and 2/23/20. There are two other undated videos (on of a couple a night, one of two kids during the day). English said at the time of the murder he had deleted all of them except for the 2/11 and 2/23 videos.

I don't know why he didn't put up plywood. He was having health issues at the time, which may have had something to do with it.

English has been rather evasive and somewhat misleading about his actions. In call recorded 12/1/19 to Gylnn County police he said he had previously had fishing equipment stolen from a boat stored in a garage at the property. He says his cameras were in storage at the time. Then he put up the cameras and about a week later he say people on the property.

He called because he saw a car parked down by a bridge near Satilla Shores (on the grass by a bridge just down from the entrance to Satilla Drive). He thought that might be someone living under the bridge and connected to the stolen equipment and the trespassers. He said he thought the trespassers might the the thieves because the guy was carrying a tool bag. (That would be the white guy with the woman. Arbery was never seen carrying a bag.)

We have no indication that English reported the theft to the police. He later said he didn't report it because he didn't know when or where it happened because the boat was transported from Brunswick to Douglas. We don't know when that happened. Maybe he didn't know when or where it happened. But in the Dec 1 call he believes it happened at the construction site.

English called police about videos on 10/25, 11/18 and presumably on 11/17 and called about the car under the bridge on 12/1. We have no record of a call for the 12/17 incident, but it was three days later on 12/20 that the police sent him a text telling him that Greg was a retired police officer living down the street and that he could call him if he spotted people on the property.

On 2/11 English called Perez. That's when Perez went, armed, to check on the property. At some point he connected with Travis. Travis found Arbery in a yard and confronted him and Arbery ran away. Travis got Greg and they went looking for Arbery but couldn't find him.

On 2/23 English says he didn't see the video until 20 minutes later and he called a neighbor (probably Perez) and was tole the guy had been killed.

English didn't seem too concerned about the stolen equipment considering he never reported it stolen, other than mentioning it in the 12/1 call. I don't think English set up a trap, but he was reporting information to identify the people on his property and information about people he suspected may have been involved with the theft. But there does not appear to be any direct connection with the McMichaels or Roddy.
Old 10th April 2021, 04:13 PM   #3603
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is this what you are down to? Micro scrutinizing a figure of speech? Cheap in the extreme.

...and ridiculing minor typos. By the way, had you kicked it in gear for a second, you'd see I only mistyped an "I" instead of an "a" when one-thumb tying on a phone. It happens. But you mindlessly assumed I mistyped a whole different word and misspelled that too? Whew. I overestimate you by a stretch.

In fact I do, including Builders Risk on a US Homeowners policy, as well as American Commercial Contractors Liability. You screwed that up too, but we'll get there later in the post.

Already addressed. Man, you are dull. I'm proposing another explanation, backed by observation and reasoning. Arguable, of course. But your petty personalizing is boring.

The real world, huh? I'm an actual American building contractor. What is your experience and insight on surveillance cameras on American jobsites? And before you squawk "anecdotal", post your own superior evidence.

Lovely. Moving the goalposts, tho. I asked if it was wide open and unattended 24/7, as the site in question was. You super cheesily altered it to normal business hours with workers in attendance.

Just what was deemed relevant and released, as we all have. In fact, in the quote you hilited, I even said based on the months of security video released. You do see that right? Do you understand what it means?

You really need to work on your comprehension. Or be more honest. I always think these debates are supposed to be good natured. Thanks for continuing to open my eyes.
Never mind... you're not worth any more of my time and effort!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:50 AM   #3604
Belz...
Fiend God

You could save a lot of posting effort if you changed your sig to "Thermal once made a slightly hyperbolic, though factually accurate claim, that made no difference whatsoever in context". I can recommend a tattoo artist if you like.
You now what would really help with that? If you stopped constantly discussing the victim's ability to run a mile. If you had, as you dishonestly claimed, corrected yourself promptly and dropped that line of argument I would be much more willing to be charitable.

As it stands your insistence on this issue is not reflecting well on you.

Maybe you're the one who should get that tattoo.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 05:51 AM   #3605
Belz...
Fiend God

Hey, get with the program. We gots a "harp on posters relentlessly for irrelevant bull ****" theme going on here.
As opposed to the one poster who says "please ignore my irrelevant bull ******"?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 06:00 AM   #3606
Belz...
Fiend God

Meta-note: we are Rorschaching the hell out of the actors here. We know next to nothing about their opinions and thoughts
That doesn't prevent us from speculating about how fast they can run, though.

Quote:
Seems like it's substantive to call you on your errors of logic or reason, but you really don't seem to like it.

Old 12th April 2021, 07:44 AM   #3607
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Belz...

The thread had gone quiet. Is this really the best time to bump it with three off-topic and personalizing posts? Start a new thread called On Thermal if you just can't get me off your mind. This one is for Arbery's murder.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #3608
Belz...
Fiend God

Belz...

The thread had gone quiet. Is this really the best time to bump it with three off-topic and personalizing posts?
They are entirely on topic. You've made this the topic.

As for when I can decide to reply to a thread, you can just go **** right off.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events