ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st August 2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Seeds From China

Has anyone received any of these mystery seeds from China?

Morning glories and mustard: U.S. investigates unsolicited seed mystery

Quote:
The U.S. Agriculture Department has identified more than a dozen plant species ranging from morning glories to mustard in bags of unsolicited seeds arriving in the mailboxes of thousands of Americans, mostly postmarked from China.
If I received any of these seeds, I would bury them..
Old 1st August 2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not the best method of disposal.
Old 1st August 2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Old 1st August 2020, 06:54 PM   #4
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Biological Warfare.

Australian has an endless problem with people trying to bring banned products from China in their baggage.

(i.e. Raw pork meat, plants and other vegetable matter crawling with insects etc.)

If they can get various pests and diseases in Australia, to ruin our agriculture, that's a win for China I guess.

Looks like they're trying to do it to the USA via mail.

Someone will be dumb enough to plant the seeds.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:51 PM   #5
pzkpfw
New Blood

Could someone explain this bit?

Quote:
The Agriculture Department has said the packages are most likely part of a "brushing" scam, in which people receive unsolicited items from a seller who then posts false positive customer reviews to boost sales.
I don't understand why an actual product needs to be posted to someone who didn't order it, so that a fake review can be put somewhere.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 09:13 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I would have planted them in a pot to see what they were.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 09:35 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
I don't understand why an actual product needs to be posted to someone who didn't order it, so that a fake review can be put somewhere.
Speculation: they're trying to get reviews posted on some third party seller's site, and that third party only posts reviews from confirmed purchasers or prioritizes such reviews. So they create fake accounts to place the purchase of their own product (and thus place their own reviews), but they need a real shipping address in the USA so they pick random people to send it to.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:05 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So apparently this sort of scam has a name: brushing.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:50 AM   #9
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Weaponized Triffids.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:07 PM   #10
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Weaponized Triffids.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Could be worse. Could be weaponized Tribbles.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology