ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 12:45 PM   #3161
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He's retweeting fricking James O'Keefe?
How pathetic.
Hey it is a step up from when he was retweeting @whitegenocideTM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:59 PM   #3162
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Richard Grenell
@RichardGrenell
There are 34,000 U.S. troops in Germany protecting Germans and Europeans. I can tell you this: @RolandNelles & @SPIEGELONLINE are wrong. Americans don’t understand why Germany isn’t meeting its NATO obligations & helping the West. And they are growing very annoyed by it.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:01 PM   #3163
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Richard Grenell
@RichardGrenell
There are 34,000 U.S. troops in Germany protecting Germans and Europeans. I can tell you this: @RolandNelles & @SPIEGELONLINE are wrong. Americans don’t understand why Germany isn’t meeting its NATO obligations & helping the West. And they are growing very annoyed by it.
I am annoyed I wasn't told how annoyed I should be

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:10 PM   #3164
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Retweeted

Richard Grenell
@RichardGrenell
Oh, please! We are in Germany and elsewhere largely for our own benefit. Foreign US bases give us strategic bases worldwide that we otherwise wouldn't have.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:16 PM   #3165
Armitage72
Illuminator

Oh, please! We are in Germany and elsewhere largely for our own benefit. Foreign US bases give us strategic bases worldwide that we otherwise wouldn't have.

It's like those people who approach you on the street, asking you to sign their petition, and then tell you that you have to give them money before you sign. Other countries should be paying for the privilege of helping the US.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:21 PM   #3166
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's like those people who approach you on the street, asking you to sign their petition, and then tell you that you have to give them money before you sign. Other countries should be paying for the privilege of helping the US.

I've never had anyone demand money during a petition signature drive.
Old 13th August 2019, 01:21 PM   #3167
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well, I thought since he was claiming credit for things like the economy (most of which he has had no impact on) and was blaming Obama for every possible problem that existed in the world, then by logical extension, Trump must be responsible for anything in the world that happens during HIS presidency.

"Our intelligence"... Did putin fill him in?
Well, there’s your problem.

As Jon Stewart has noted, one of the cleverest and most devious things the Republicans have done is to convince their base that there is one standard for the Republicans and a different standard for everyone else.
Old 13th August 2019, 01:29 PM   #3168
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I've never had anyone demand money during a petition signature drive.

I've only had it happen once, but I've seen other people mention it happening to them. It's probably safe to assume they were trying to use the petition to fund their own activities.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:38 PM   #3169
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I've always thought we should have military bases of other countries in the US. It seems more symmetrical, and they can spend money here like our soldiers do there.
Old 13th August 2019, 01:41 PM   #3170
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
I've always thought we should have military bases of other countries in the US. It seems more symmetrical, and they can spend money here like our soldiers do there.
I don't know why they'd want to be here. Although, it would increase their likely hood of getting shot at and having to defend themselves in a combat situation. So maybe it would be good for them.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:43 PM   #3171
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

To be fair, and anecdotal so grain of salt, while other countries don't build bases in the US, we never seemed to have allied units using our bases here in the states.

I don't there was ever a time in my 20 years in the Navy where there wasn't a couple of foreign ships in Norfolk or Mayport either for port visits or for joint training exercises.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:52 PM   #3172
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

So terrible!

James O'Keefe
@JamesOKeefeIII
These newspapers are becoming woke clickbait farms. (link: https://twitter.com/_stephaniemyers/...23919211163649) twitter.com/_stephaniemyer…
Donny would not know what woke is or clickbait farms if one fell on him. Pity that hasn’t happened but anyway. Kellyanne Conjob?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:55 PM   #3173
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The bases in Germany are a vital staging area for US forces in the Mideast.
As any planner in the Pentagon could tell Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:57 PM   #3174
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The things I think he might be trying to communicate are so stupid it's hard to say.
I don't know how the media could report this random collection of nonsense.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:59 PM   #3175
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Why would he listen? He knows more about the military than the Generals.
Old 13th August 2019, 03:01 PM   #3176
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just me or does Donnie have major issues with the First Amendment?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #3177
Arcade22
Philosopher

While it would be more symmetrical and arguably more "fair", it completely ignores the disparity in how powerful and rich these other countries are to the US. Moreover it doesn't fit into America's strategic doctrine, which has basically been that "it's better to fight them over there before they get over here".

It's fundamentally about preventing potential adversaries like the Russia and/or China to divide and conquer Europe, Asia and Africa in a piecemeal fashion. If the US merely involved itself where its own direct interests were concerned there's a strong risk that others might become strong enough to ultimately attack the continental US.
Old 13th August 2019, 05:17 PM   #3178
Armitage72
Illuminator

Only when they hurt his delicate little feelings. They can say whatever they want if it includes praise for him.
Old 13th August 2019, 05:37 PM   #3179
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It's the Trump First and Foremost Amendment. Thank you very much.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 06:44 PM   #3180
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I know you're being facetious, but there is no strategic reason for other 'friendly' countries to have bases in the US as the countries near us (S. America, Canada, Mexico) constitute basically no danger to Europe, Russia, China, etc.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 06:46 PM   #3181
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Absolutely.
I spent 4 happy childhood years at Rhein Main AFB where my dad was a pilot.
Old 13th August 2019, 11:16 PM   #3182
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Add "emoluments" to the list of things Trump doesn't understand, and add Obama's book deal to the list of things he's envious of:

Trump Says Obama Is Violating Emoluments Clause Even Though It Doesn’t Apply To Private Citizens

Originally Posted by PoliticusUSA
During a taxpayer-funded campaign rally in Pennsylvania, Trump whined that people are upset that he’s profiting from the presidency. He deflected the criticism by accusing former President Barack Obama of violating the emoluments clause by signing a $65 million book deal.

“I got sued on a thing called ’emoluments,'” Trump said, according to NBC News. “Now nobody looks at Obama getting $60 million for a book. That’s OK, even though nobody in history ever got that much money for a book. … But with me, it’s everything.”

As NBC News pointed out, “Barack Obama and Michelle Obama signed a joint book deal for $65 million in 2017, after Obama had left office. The emoluments clause applies to federal officeholders, not private citizens.”
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:26 PM   #3183
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Add "emoluments" the date, to the list of things Trump doesn't understand...
FTFY
Old 13th August 2019, 11:38 PM   #3184
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
... ... Did putin fill him in?
ఠ_ఠ errr...
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:58 PM   #3185
TofuFighter
Master Poster

This is also true about the drills and personnel in South Korea and the Indopacific, but trump keeps referring to these kinds of arrangements as protection by the US of these regions, suggesting that they should pay more for it. That always reminds me of protection rackets in gangster movies.

Is it just a ploy by him to frame the situation in such a way as to burnish his, and the US's image? Or does he genuinely not understand the benefit to the US, in much the same way as he appears not to understand that stability and support for south and central american countries like Guatamala, Honduras, El Salvador and however many Mexicos there are, are also a benefit to US security and immigration issues?

this man is a moron. moronical. an imbecile.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 02:13 AM   #3186
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

No debate on Election Security should go forward without first agreeing that Voter ID (Identification) must play a very strong part in any final agreement. Without Voter ID, it is all so meaningless!

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Voter fraud is real:
Los Angeles county has a registration rate of 112% its adult population
The entire state of California has a registration rate of 101%
11 of 58 counties in CA have registration rates above 100%
Is this why California is solid Blue?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 02:18 AM   #3187
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

No debate on Election Security should go forward without first agreeing that Voter ID (Identification) must play a very strong part in any final agreement. Without Voter ID, it is all so meaningless!

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Voter fraud is real:
It's so real, that no evidence of large scale voter fraud can be found despite all the efforts of the right wing to find it.......
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 02:29 AM   #3188
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's so real, that no evidence of large scale voter fraud can be found despite all the efforts of the right wing to find it.......
That said, I can't see how you can register voters without having ID.

Hans
Old 14th August 2019, 02:29 AM   #3189
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
What are you talking about? There was a huge investigation, and they found that people who aren't white vote. What do you call people who aren't white voting, if not fraud? They might vote for someone other than a Republican. Very unfair!
Old 14th August 2019, 02:34 AM   #3190
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's immigration Chief has suggested that the inscription on the Statue Of Liberty should read “Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.”
Old 14th August 2019, 02:41 AM   #3191
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Voter fraud is real:
Oh dear. So out-of-date, so wrong. And here. In fact, so much wrongity that it would seem that even a Trump researcher could not miss it.

We also know that Trump could not give a flying **** about researching his own facts. Someone there in Washington has been telling him this stuff, having Googled it (once again, because Charlie Kirk is a serial lying little ****).

Which suggests, as if it wasn't obvious, that Trump did not post that tweet. And since it is indeed an easily proven steaming pile of crap, it must be a deliberate smoke-screen for something else. So stay tuned! What did Donny do while we laughed at this bait...
Old 14th August 2019, 02:50 AM   #3192
Belz...
Fiend God

Is it just me, or does Don Junior's beard look drawn on his face with a felt pen?

He looks dumb with it. Should shave. Sad.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 02:53 AM   #3193
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And that it was talking about Europeans originally.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 03:04 AM   #3194
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1161347113663574016

Quote:
Trump, speaking to energy workers in PA, is embarrassingly ignorant about how wind power works.

"Some day the environmentalists are going to tell us what's going on with that. And then all of the sudden it stops -- the wind and the televisions go off."
Video embedded in tweet.

In the same speech, he also joked about calling off the election and serving a third term.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:09 AM   #3195
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
In other words, don't give me your tired and your poor.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:29 AM   #3196
Doubt
Philosopher

Trump Retweeted

Richard Grenell
@RichardGrenell
There has been talk of moving US troops to Poland. Poland has requested an armored division. The US does not currently have any division sized units in Europe. This is mostly a bad idea since there is better defensive terrain in Germany when it comes to dealing with any sort of invasion from the east.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:32 AM   #3197
Doubt
Philosopher

Although they don't have their own bases, there are at any given time plenty of allied troops in the US. Mostly to attend military schools. But I do remember flying into El Paso many times in the 90s and seeing Luftwaffe pilots at the airport. They have or had a squadron based in the US because it was the only place they could practice flying low altitude and supersonic in their tactical aircraft.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:38 AM   #3198
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Richard Grenell
@RichardGrenell
That's the point of NATO. It's there to keep the Russians out, the Americans in and the Germans down. The rest of Europe likes it when Germany doesn't spend very much on their military.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:52 AM   #3199
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's the point of NATO. It's there to keep the Russians out, the Americans in and the Germans down. The rest of Europe likes it when Germany doesn't spend very much on their military.
Germany should suggest the US close their bases and leave.

Then we'll see how much it's worth to the US.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:48 AM   #3200
Arcade22
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Voter fraud is real:
Voter ID wouldn't be so bad if the federal government went out of its way to register all citizens and residents; and giving them valid IDs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics