ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th June 2016, 10:50 AM   #361
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yes, but while jets are notoriously sluggish in the lower revolution range, once they are at higher revolutions, they respond to throttle settings more quickly. However, even if there is some lag, its not a show stopper.

The examples we have surmised here, the Jet Cat200 and the TG40 operate in the range 32,000 to 117,000 rpm.

To put that in some perspective, the lower end of that range is about six to eight times the red line rpm for your average family car!

Frank Zapata is a pretty skilled Flyboard rider (he did invent the thing after all) and I have no doubt that he would have no problem keeping balanced on four jet engines. I am pretty certain he will have an Engine Control Computer to keep the four engines synchronized. The little red ducted fans (for yaw control) on the sides of the platform are running all the time, and only shut down when he lands.

However, one of the things that makes landing and taking off using jet thrust really difficult is ground effect. It could destabilize the platform and the jet engines could flame out of they end up ingesting their own exhaust gases

Zapata's solution to this problem appears to be that he never gets close to the ground. He uses that launch platform for take off and landing,. I haven't see it up close, but I'm guessing the floor of that launch rig is hard wire mesh or something like it, which would allow the exhaust gases to pass through.... very clever.
Whilst looking for the video recently I did see a mesh launch platform...

This one at about 30 seconds

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 12:45 PM   #362
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gmarshall View Post
I wouldn't discount this question out of hand. I can't speak for the materials in a R/C gas turbine,
The blades can withstand insane temperatures and are also very tough mechanically (I have seen a turbine that was recovered from a model which crashed into a road at high speed and was completely destroyed. The turbine had a big dent in the front but it still worked!).

The reason for spooling down slowly is to purge any remaining fuel and keep the bearings oiled as it spins down. Running at low speed for a while also keeps air moving to draw heat away from the case and surroundings (otherwise the heat would soak through to create higher than normal exterior temperature, which could be very bad for a model made of wood and plastic!).

Dumping a running turbine in water wouldn't be good for it, but cooling down instantly might be better than spooling down too fast without it.
Old 9th June 2016, 06:08 PM   #363
Ernie M
Muse

Why no on-board footage of the Guinness Book World Record?

How come there's no on-board video of the Guinness Book World record attempt shot from the Flyboard Air?

The Flyboard Air is supposed to be able to fly on three of its four jet engines, so there should have been more than enough extra thrust to be able to put a small video camera onboard.

So, why isn't there footage shot from on-the-Flyboard Air, Guinness Book World Record attempt?

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 07:22 PM   #364
macdoc
Philosopher

Grasping at straws?
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 07:26 PM   #365
RussDill
Philosopher

Also, has it occurred to anyone that if this was done with cranes and or whatever other mechanism in front of so many people, don't you think someone, somewhere would have taken a picture or at least mentioned it?
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 07:33 PM   #366
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
How come there's no on-board video of the Guinness Book World record attempt shot from the Flyboard Air?

The Flyboard Air is supposed to be able to fly on three of its four jet engines, so there should have been more than enough extra thrust to be able to put a small video camera onboard.

So, why isn't there footage shot from on-the-Flyboard Air, Guinness Book World Record attempt?
Because you don't run the zoo.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 08:25 PM   #367
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Why should there be? It was a distance record attempt. No need for a camera on board.

Additionally, even if there was a camera on board, would it make any difference to your ridiculous hoax claims?

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th June 2016 at 08:29 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 09:29 PM   #368
Ernie M
Muse

The mood seems tense.

Hopefully there's a way to pick it up.

Anyone know a good aviation fly-by-wire joke?

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 09:54 PM   #369
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I know a couple of good aviation jokes?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 10:35 PM   #370
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The mood seems tense.

Hopefully there's a way to pick it up.

Anyone know a good aviation fly-by-wire joke?
I'm more of a fly-by-wire-rope guy myself.
Old 9th June 2016, 11:30 PM   #371
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Because if there was it would prove that the video is a hoax.

Franky was clearly not carrying a camera on-board, so where would the footage come from? Fake!!!
Old 10th June 2016, 12:39 AM   #372
esspee
black goo

Regarding the lack of helmet mounted go,pro footage.

Hoax or real, that is still just bizzaar.

My research has been drastically crippled. My laptop and only computer literally fried itself. All it does now is get hot when when plugged in, but will not turn on.
It died giving its life for the noble cause of debunking a hoax.

I live somewhere electrinics cost 2x the Usa or Europe, with wages about 3x less. And in a smalll town with few shops for those kind of things
It may be months before i have a working computer. I will do what i can on my phone, but its just not the same, its much slower and much mire frustrating.

Trying to find out about his demo in barcelona last evening right now.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 02:50 AM   #373
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yes
Old 10th June 2016, 03:43 AM   #374
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Early prototype testing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00MVa6_ukc
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 03:52 AM   #375
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
Also, has it occurred to anyone that if this was done with cranes and or whatever other mechanism in front of so many people, don't you think someone, somewhere would have taken a picture or at least mentioned it?
No, because it's more reasonable to claim that the Guinness Book of Records People, the large crew that would to be involved in a stunt that size and all the people watching were "in on it" than it would be to accept that a clever team of engineers and thrill-seekers really have built the thing.........

edited to add....

My initial reaction when the OP first appeared was "No Way !" but Guinness acceptance and the willingness to perform in front of such a large crowd caused me to change my mind.

Last edited by The Don; 10th June 2016 at 03:53 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 06:11 AM   #376
esspee
black goo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT_DbNafRE8

New video, from barcelona harbour. I,m on a phone so can,t tell you much about it, or if other videos are out yet. Its hard searching on phones. (computet died) i can,t even tell the resolution, as my phone just plays, no details provided
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 06:12 AM   #377
macdoc
Philosopher

The Don
If it was anyone but him I would have been skeptical too - but the background with the water jet version is an ideal segue to 4 small jet turbines for lift ...and the items are available on the open market....nothing proprietary.
It didn't come out of thin air.

••••

Good video and from the sound alone that is a jet powered Flyboard - and it's LOUD!!

Last edited by macdoc; 10th June 2016 at 06:15 AM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 06:18 AM   #378
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
I'm disappointed that nobody has photoshopped a crane into a few stills yet.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 06:24 AM   #379
esspee
black goo

Well, i don,t have photoshop on my phone unfortunatley. Hopefully a few more videos should come out. Batcelona harbour is a very public area. Lets see if its just the tiny handful of videos again this time, or the many that it should be if legit. I may have access to a computer tomorrow for an hour or two. Ill see what is out there then

Last edited by esspee; 10th June 2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10th June 2016, 06:31 AM   #380
macdoc
Philosopher

Why? Move on and let people that actually grasp the machine discuss it's merits and limitations without nonsense conspiracy posts.
Old 10th June 2016, 06:48 AM   #381
esspee
black goo

The photoshop thong was a joke man. Tell you what, i,ll make you a deal. I,ll keep my posts to minimum, say less that 20% of this thread (even though i started it,) because i don,t want folk like yourself having an excuse to get it closed.
The world needs this thread. Its the only place left online where skepticism over this device exists, or is even allowed.

Last edited by esspee; 10th June 2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10th June 2016, 06:50 AM   #382
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
My initial reaction when the OP first appeared was "No Way !" but Guinness acceptance and the willingness to perform in front of such a large crowd caused me to change my mind.
That and the apparent two minute flight time sold it for me.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 06:55 AM   #383
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Hopefully a few more videos should come out. Batcelona harbour is a very public area. Lets see if its just the tiny handful of videos again this time, or the many that it should be if legit.
Because Monaco was a hoax and smartcooky's friends are part of the conspiracy.

If you see a tiny handful of videos from a live event then it's a hoax. How many is that? The number that will fit in a tiny hand such as a toddler's hand. You need the number of videos to fill an adult's hand for it to be legit. That is unless the adult has a small hand and then you are back to a hoax again.
Old 10th June 2016, 07:01 AM   #384
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Guinness will do anything to sell their beer.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 07:42 AM   #385
crescent
Illuminator

Not just Guinness - Popular Mechanics is also taking part in the hoax.

Popular Mechanics: Watch This Real Hoverboard Set the Guinness Distance Record

Quote:
​Franky Zapata's Flyboard Air flew nearly 7,500 feet this weekend. We were there, and we talked to him after the record-setting ride.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 07:53 AM   #386
macdoc
Philosopher

You're not a skeptic SP ....just not knowledgeable enough to be.
Old 10th June 2016, 07:56 AM   #387
macdoc
Philosopher

Thanks for Popular Science link

Quote:
At the moment, the main drawback of the Flyboard Air is its 10-minute running time. To improve this, Franky is planning to don a wingsuit. Then, he can take off vertically, transition into horizontal flight, and fly faster while conserving fuel.
IronMan LIVES!!!!
Old 10th June 2016, 07:57 AM   #388
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Actually, knowledge of turbines is only of trivial importance. You only need to understand what would be required to pull off a conspiratorial hoax on a grand scale.
Old 10th June 2016, 08:01 AM   #389
macdoc
Philosopher

He doesn't.
Old 10th June 2016, 08:05 AM   #390
esspee
black goo

This post is in keeping with my 20% agreement

Two things are going happen.

1. It will be proven real and i will look like an ass hat.

2. It will come out as a hoax. This will be spun by the marketing team as a good thing. Franky as a michievious hoaxter. More free publicity All the people who left abusive youtube comments towards people like myself (or closed threads and banned me)will not feel bad or angry for being fooled. Because the media articles will tell them not to.
They will forget all about it in a heartbeat, and never apologize to the few original guys like myself trying to debunk it, whom they were unnecessarily rude and insulting to

P.s. Someone mentioned GWR and beer. It needs to realized that Guinness the beer has no ties to this organization. They created it but sold it I think in the 90's. It had changed hands since, and is now owned by Ripley. GWR buisness model has moved away from selling books. Its main income is now in product / brand awareness campaigns and events. Marketing basically
Also, if I can get hold of a computer, I will be finishing another video regarding a viral video I also believe to be a hoax ( not the flyboard) Luckily I was saving my work on it externally when my computer died.

Last edited by esspee; 10th June 2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10th June 2016, 08:20 AM   #391
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Current situation:

Originally Posted by esspee with reality added View Post
This post is in keeping with my 20% agreement

Two things are going to happen ONE thing has happened:

1. It will be has been proven real and i will look like an ass hat.

2. It will come out as a hoax. This will be spun by the marketing team as a good thing. Franky as a michievious hoaxter. More free publicity All the people who left abusive youtube comments towards people like myself (or closed threads and banned me)will not feel bad or angry for being fooled. Because the media articles will tell them not to.
They will forget all about it in a heartbeat, and never apologize to the few original guys like myself trying to debunk it, whom they were unnecessarily rude and insulting to

Last edited by The Greater Fool; 10th June 2016 at 08:21 AM.
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 08:34 AM   #392
Jrrarglblarg

One
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 08:39 AM   #393
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
One
Singular sensation
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 08:43 AM   #394
Jrrarglblarg

And the second half of one is already true
Old 10th June 2016, 10:37 AM   #395
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Yes
I just realized my post may have sounded like I thought the flyboard was hanging from one. That was not my intent. I spent 20+ years designing control cable systems for commercial airliners.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:07 AM   #396
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

I just realized my post may have sounded like I thought the flyboard was hanging from one. That was not my intent. I spent 20+ years designing control cable systems for commercial airliners.
And I've been flying Control Line model airplanes since 1964, although "rope" is a bit overkill for describing .015" stranded steel cable...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 11:52 AM   #397
foophil
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post

That was pretty awesome. I hope they were all wearing ear protection and not just helmets!
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 12:35 PM   #398
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I was referring to your username, an object that sends things flying through the air by using coiled up ropes or wires... fly by wire rope
Old 10th June 2016, 12:54 PM   #399
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
That was pretty awesome. I hope they were all wearing ear protection and not just helmets!
Yeah it's real loud for the spectators. But that sound isn't coming from turbine engines as those aren't there. The sound is coming from the red turn signals which are actually high tech loudspeakers. It's playing a recording of turbines with variable sound to signify changing rpm and load. But then if the crowd was already in on the hoax you don't need any sound and can just add it to videos if needed.
Old 10th June 2016, 03:29 PM   #400
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I was referring to your username, an object that sends things flying through the air by using coiled up ropes or wires... fly by wire rope
D'oh! I should have realized that! And I do indeed use it for my hurling engines. Even make up the cables myself.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology