ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump Presidency 15

Mod InfoNew continuation thread. Original thread can be found here. Feel free to quote from older thread as you would in any thread.
Posted By:Darat

Trump Tweets
Women’s soccer player, @mPinoe, just stated that she is “not going to the F...ing White House if we win.” Other than the NBA, which now refuses to call owners, owners (please explain that I just got Criminal Justice Reform passed, Black unemployment is at the lowest level...

....in our Country’s history, and the poverty index is also best number EVER), leagues and teams love coming to the White House. I am a big fan of the American Team, and Women’s Soccer, but Megan should WIN first before she TALKS! Finish the job! We haven’t yet....

....invited Megan or the team, but I am now inviting the TEAM, win or lose. Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team. Be proud of the Flag that you wear. The USA is doing GREAT!

Last edited by Darat; 26th June 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:15 AM   #2
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Tero
Graduate Poster

Everything Trump Touches Dies
Republican political strategist Rick Wilson offered his thoughts on the Trump administration.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?450716...administration
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:29 AM   #4
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
"Eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal".
I know that quote!
Old 26th June 2019, 09:30 AM   #5
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets
Women’s soccer player, @mPinoe, just stated that she is “not going to the F...ing White House if we win.” Other than the NBA, which now refuses to call owners, owners (please explain that I just got Criminal Justice Reform passed, Black unemployment is at the lowest level...

....in our Country’s history, and the poverty index is also best number EVER), leagues and teams love coming to the White House. I am a big fan of the American Team, and Women’s Soccer, but Megan should WIN first before she TALKS! Finish the job! We haven’t yet....

....invited Megan or the team, but I am now inviting the TEAM, win or lose. Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team. Be proud of the Flag that you wear. The USA is doing GREAT!
Virtue Signalling at it's finest.

He might want to pause before going after the ladies. On top of being extremely talented, they're focused on changing how they are treated inside of the system.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:31 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Years ago I read about a local scrap yard that was being sued by their neighbor because their metal shredder would occasionally produce explosions that would send pieces of metal flying into the neighbor's yard. Part of their defense was that their shredder produced far less explosions than other scrap yards.
For the life of me I can't figure out how it's been a successful strategy. Gaslighting has now become the go-to strategy for the GOP.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Everything Trump Touches Dies
Republican political strategist Rick Wilson offered his thoughts on the Trump administration.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?450716...administration
I can just see Trump's tweet response to Wilson:

FAKE NEWS! Ivana, Marla, Melania, Stormy Daniels, Karen McDougal, E. Jean Carroll and over a dozen other women I *****-grabbed are still alive! FAKE NEWS!!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Minoosh
Philosopher

I don't track Trump controversies as closely as I used to, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I rely on this forum to alert me. But I feel 2 things he has said in the last couple of days could really hurt him.

One is "First, she's not my type." It is an incredibly stupid thing to say.

The second is, "I don't need an exit strategy" on Iran.

ETA: I know he's said similar things before when accused by women and I don't know why it hasn't hurt him more than it has, but something about this latest makes it seem exceptionally chilling. The way he said "first," and then the denial. Wouldn't an innocent man say something like, "Wait, what? Nothing like that ever happened."

Last edited by Minoosh; 26th June 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Minoosh
Philosopher

I thought this thread had already split out into installment 15. I must have been seeing things.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't track Trump controversies as closely as I used to, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I rely on this forum to alert me. But I feel 2 things he has said in the last couple of days could really hurt him.

ETA: I know he's said similar things before when accused by women and I don't know why it hasn't hurt him more than it has, but something about this latest makes it seem exceptionally chilling. The way he said "first," and then the denial. Wouldn't an innocent man say something like, "Wait, what? Nothing like that ever happened."
Yes, an innocent man likely would.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Nearly 4000 posts on 100 pages in episode 14. Remember when the mods didn't think we needed a generic Trump thread? I do.
Old 26th June 2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Delete, double post due to forum weirdness.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 26th June 2019 at 10:11 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Wow. Nearly 4000 posts on 100 pages in episode 14. Remember when the mods didn't think we needed a generic Trump thread? I do.
Well maybe people didn't realize it was going to turn into such a **** show.
Old 26th June 2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And Comey said Trump was worried that there was a 1 percent chance Melania might believe the pee story. Comey said he was prepared to investigate if that's what the president wanted.

He put the chance of his own wife believing such a thing about him at zero percent
Old 26th June 2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Quote:
"Eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal".
I know that quote!
Yes, I believe its from the movie "The Big Bus"... a comedy/disaster movie spoof about a nuclear powered bus, who's driver got accused of cannibalism after a previous bus that he drove crashed and his co-driver ate the passengers.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 10:31 AM   #16
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Pepperidge farm remembers.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 11:32 AM   #17
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

In other news, controversial but popular reddit subgroup The_Donald has been quarantined due to apparent advocation of violence.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

A normal innocent man would.

Even on those things in which President Trump is innocent (I’m sure there must be at least a couple), he would have an exceptionally hard time saying the things an innocent man would likely say.
Old 26th June 2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

His expectations here seem a bit unreasonable. These are young people. Any association to Trump could be damaging to their reputations for years to come. He can't expect decent, real Americans to want anything to do with him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

"
I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I have to ask: what exactly is your definition of hurt?

You really think he will lose support among the electorate or among the congresscritters who follow and defend him?
Old 26th June 2019, 11:45 AM   #21
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
His expectations here seem a bit unreasonable. These are young people. Any association to Trump could be damaging to their reputations for years to come. He can't expect decent, real Americans to want anything to do with him.
Did you mean “he shouldnt expect decent real Americans to...”?

Or more precisely, do you mean “if understood the concept of decency, and if he understood that it is possible for patriotic Americans of all political persuasions to disagree with a president, and if he understood that economic measures are but one of many different types of ways to measure a country’s success, and if .... [insert 8 more things]... then he shouldn’t expect decent real....”?
Old 26th June 2019, 12:05 PM   #22
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Trump Tweets
Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team.
Does he not realize that any disrespect is likely aimed squarely at him as a person - not at the country, the White House or the flag.
Old 26th June 2019, 12:13 PM   #23
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Does he not realize that any disrespect is likely aimed squarely at him as a person - not at the country, the White House or the flag.

"L'etat, C'est moi."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 12:17 PM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Did you mean “he shouldnt expect decent real Americans to...”?

Or more precisely, do you mean “if understood the concept of decency, and if he understood that it is possible for patriotic Americans of all political persuasions to disagree with a president, and if he understood that economic measures are but one of many different types of ways to measure a country’s success, and if .... [insert 8 more things]... then he shouldn’t expect decent real....”?
How about "can't reasonably expect"?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 12:37 PM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/polit...pit/index.html

He's more of an idiot than I thought if he thinks he only got spit on. I wonder how the salad dressing was.
Old 26th June 2019, 01:09 PM   #26
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I have to ask: what exactly is your definition of hurt?

You really think he will lose support among the electorate or among the congresscritters who follow and defend him?
Why would that make you a jerk? Yes, I think he could lose support from both quarters, but it's just a gut feeling. You don't have to think he's guilty of rape to realize what a ******-up thing that is to say. And his Iran comment is too reminiscent of Bush's early optimism re: Iraq. I've read critiques that have said Bush wasn't stupid, but his limited imagination could not conceive of outcomes that didn't consist of cheering Iraqis greeting U.S. soldiers as liberators. Oops.
Old 26th June 2019, 01:17 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's more of an idiot than I thought if he thinks he only got spit on. I wonder how the salad dressing was.
Oops, some grammar pedantry needed.
Headline: Eric Trump says he was spit on at Chicago restaurant.
Opening sentence: Eric Trump, son of President Donald Trump, said Tuesday he was spat on by an employee at a Chicago-area restaurant.

Spit? Spat? Potayto? Potahto?
Old 26th June 2019, 01:23 PM   #28
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Spit? Spat? Potayto? Potahto?
Spat.
Old 26th June 2019, 01:45 PM   #29
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Spat.
In American English, 'spit' is used as the preterit and the past participle.
We're such rebels!
Old 26th June 2019, 02:07 PM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats should change the Loopholes and Asylum Laws so lives will be saved at our Southern Border. They said it was not a crisis at the Border, that it was all just “manufactured.” Now they admit that I was right - But they must do something about it. Fix the Laws NOW!

The Democrats would save many lives if they would change our broken and very DANGEROUS Immigration Laws. It can be done instantly!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 02:11 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump: Democrats don't believe there's a crisis, I'll just make one to show them there is.
Old 26th June 2019, 02:20 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

The Democrats should change the Loopholes and Asylum Laws so lives will be saved at our Southern Border. They said it was not a crisis at the Border, that it was all just “manufactured.” Now they admit that I was right - But they must do something about it. Fix the Laws NOW!

The Democrats would save many lives if they would change our broken and very DANGEROUS Immigration Laws. It can be done instantly!
Hmmm...seems to me I've heard something similar before. Now, just where was it? Oh, yes! Here:

Quote:
“Together we’re going to deliver real change that once again puts Americans first. That begins with immediately repealing and replacing the disaster known as Obamacare … You’re going to have such great health care, at a tiny fraction of the cost—and it’s going to be so easy.”
Trump, Oct. 2016
Old 26th June 2019, 02:37 PM   #33
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, I believe its from the movie "The Big Bus"... a comedy/disaster movie spoof about a nuclear powered bus, who's driver got accused of cannibalism after a previous bus that he drove crashed and his co-driver ate the passengers.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The Big Bus predates Airplane! by several years too.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Mike!; 26th June 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 02:38 PM   #34
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Yeah, there's a pretty glaring disconnect between an accusation of sexual assault and "not my type-" I mean, it's not like he was accused of trying to date her. But here's the thing about Trump- this is the guy who feels entitled to just grab women by their whatevers, to whom it would never even occur to wonder if he was her type. My guess is that, to a mind like that, "not my type" is the innocent's reaction- whether it happened or not doesn't matter when sexual assault is no crime for the entitled, and the important thing is to frame the victim as somehow lacking in whatever quality it takes to be worth the bother of an assault.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 03:24 PM   #35
Apathia
Philosopher

In American English, 'spit' is used as the preterit and the past participle.
We're such rebels!
Spitted! (Confederate English)

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 03:42 PM   #36
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“I have been in office for many years, the Military is very important to me, and at no time in my professional life has the U.S. Military been as strong as it is right now.”
Thank you @LindseyGrahamSC

The Republican Senate just passed bipartisan humanitarian assistance for our Southern Border, 84-8! In addition to aid, Congress must close the catastrophic loopholes that are driving the Crisis. We must end incentives for Smuggling Children, Trafficking Women, and Selling Drugs.
Old 26th June 2019, 03:43 PM   #37
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
...and the important thing is to frame the victim as somehow lacking in whatever quality it takes to be worth the bother of an assault.
I can’t recall who it was that not so long ago got lambasted for the comment, “I wouldn’t even rape you”.

This is in the same vein.
Old 26th June 2019, 03:45 PM   #38
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Yeah, there's a pretty glaring disconnect between an accusation of sexual assault and "not my type-" I mean, it's not like he was accused of trying to date her. But here's the thing about Trump- this is the guy who feels entitled to just grab women by their whatevers, to whom it would never even occur to wonder if he was her type. My guess is that, to a mind like that, "not my type" is the innocent's reaction- whether it happened or not doesn't matter when sexual assault is no crime for the entitled, and the important thing is to frame the victim as somehow lacking in whatever quality it takes to be worth the bother of an assault.
I don't know how the father of a daughter can look her in the eye and support Trump, unless maybe he's a pedo. "Access Hollywood" could have been written off as stupid bragging trying to impress the guys or fit in. Even if he loses just half of a percentage point here and there, IMO it's going to get harder for people to vote for him.
Old 26th June 2019, 04:01 PM   #39
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Nearly 4000 posts on 100 pages in episode 14.
I think that averages out to about 1 post per Presidential Tweet.
Old 26th June 2019, 04:21 PM   #40
autumn1971
Master Poster

I sincerely hope that there was tuberculosis involved.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics