ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 10:59 PM   #201
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

All Democrats just raised their hands for giving millions of illegal aliens unlimited healthcare. How about taking care of American Citizens first!? That’s the end of that race!
Okay that last sentence is really weird.

That race as in American Citizens?

Or that race as in the Latin Immigrants?
Old 28th June 2019, 11:29 PM   #202
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

When you make things up, who the post was to is irrelevant.

You know this, but are dishonest enough to try to cover for the fact that you used strawman.

Dude, I even highlighted the quote I was referring to for you. Do you even know what a straw man is, bro? Quite clearly you don't.

I can only spell things out for you; I can't force you to open your eyes to actually see them. You are a complete and dishonest waste of my time.

Here it is again, just so every one can see what a liar you are:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, its true... Trump's popularity is under water. However, that doesn't mean we should feel happy or comfortable about the situation.

After years of scandal after scandal, after a Mueller report that pointed out evidence of various crimes, and after the most recent rape accusation, his popularity is not only stable but GOING UP. (Assuming its not just some statistical error.) And there is nothing I can think of that might justify the increase... no big legislation that he managed to help pass through congress, no big international problem he's helped to address. The only thing that i can think of is maybe the Iranian situation, but its hard to see how "I was going to bomb them but decided not to" would really affect his popularity.

That doesn't give much leeway for the democrats. Pick the wrong candidate, or have some unexpected November surprise, and Trump may still pull off a victory.

I want to see Trump lose, and not just by a few percentage points... I want to see him utterly humiliated, and I want to see the entire republican party dragged down with him, followed by at least a decade of them being shut out from any hint of power, as a warning to them that picking a racist con-artist as your leader and engaging in underhanded shenanigans can lead to ruin.

Well given the fact that a waltz is a form of physical activity, I can't see Trump waltzing anywhere (unless he can figure out how to do it while driving a golf cart).

Seriously, I think you're getting hung up on the phrasing here. Yes, "waltzing to victory" implies an easy win, but I think the term could apply to to the 2016 election... Trump's campaign was often labeled a "dumpster fire", but he still managed to pull off a victory, despite not putting any effort into coming up with decent policies or making any serious attempts to appeal to voters outside of his base.

...to which I responded...

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, and calling Trump's win in 2016 a "waltz to victory" completely ignores how close it was and a lot of shady stuff going on.

In no way does that qualify as a "waltz".
...which you called a straw man. LMFAO!!!!

Keep digging that hole you're in, bro! You entertain me!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 11:42 PM   #203
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

If you were a Republican and fancy your chances of becoming president, you'd wait until 2024, because Trump would beat any candidate out of sight.

....not if your immediate goal was to hurt Trump's chance of being reelected. I could easily see a Republican (perhaps Kasich?) running 3rd party, not with the intention of becoming president, but the intention of pulling away some of Trump's support.

At this point, you should probably just give up on trying to "analyze" things, dude. Leave it to those who have some knowledge to work with, bro. LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 11:44 PM   #204
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Still it's early in the process. But I wonder, where are the twenty republican
candidates for president? Shouldn't we at least hear a name or two in the press?
Yeah over a year ago, it was announced that the RNC and the Trump re-election campaign would be working very closely with each other so that they could share resources in a more effective manner. At that point it was discussed whether or not to cancel Republican primaries.

Anyone who tries to challenge President Trump’s claim on the candacy is going to be driven from the party with all the vengeance that President Trump can muster.
Old 29th June 2019, 12:48 AM   #205
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Okay that last sentence is really weird.

That race as in American Citizens?

Or that race as in the Latin Immigrants?
He means the race to become President ie they’ve Just blown their chances of a Democrat being elected President.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 02:34 AM   #206
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yeah over a year ago, it was announced that the RNC and the Trump re-election campaign would be working very closely with each other so that they could share resources in a more effective manner. At that point it was discussed whether or not to cancel Republican primaries.

Anyone who tries to challenge President Trump’s claim on the candacy is going to be driven from the party with all the vengeance that President Trump can muster.
They didn't just announce that they'd be working together, they replaced otherwise competent (as considered by others in the GOP) people with Trumpistas. That witch he's always quoting is just the first such example. And they've done the same in Ohio and other states. Trump controls the GOP, now.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 03:15 AM   #207
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, proving how easy it is to win trade wars, President Trump makes a signifcant concession to China.

Quote:
Mr Trump also said he would allow US companies to continue to sell to the Chinese tech giant Huawei, in a move seen as a significant concession.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48810070
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 04:33 AM   #208
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segnosaur:

And just in case you didn't think Trump has increase the deficit enough, or given enough benefits to the wealthy....

From: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ort-2019-06-27
The White House is considering a plan to index capital gains to inflation -- and do so in a way that bypasses Congress...Such a move would likely draw legal challenges over whether it has such authority. The top 1% would receive 86% of the benefit from such a move...and would cost $102 billion over a decade. So we have a potential plan that 1) helps the rich, 2) takes away power from congress, and 3) increases the debt even more.

Regardless of its results, indexing capital gains seems logical and fair.

If one holds an asset that doubles in value over a time span during which prices also double, one has had no real net gain. Taxing what was basically holding one’s own, not a real gain, seems illogical and unfair.

As to bypassing Congress to enact that indexing, on that I’m totally opposed.

But maybe worthy of its own thread?

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 29th June 2019 at 04:37 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 04:57 AM   #209
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Do wage earners also get indexed to inflation?

If not, this is yet another benefit where the majority is given away to a narrow class of people.

But also, apparently the executive now gets to fiddle with the revenue side as well as the spending side.

May as well just disband Congress.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 05:16 AM   #210
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Do wage earners also get indexed to inflation?
Not directly, but in general wages tend to increase over time to keep pace with inflation.

Not wages, per sé, but our Social Security checks are indexed for inflation, which is only fair.
Old 29th June 2019, 06:11 AM   #211
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Not directly, but in general wages tend to increase over time to keep pace with inflation.
Do investment returns not in general increase over time?

But that doesn't even address the fact that this change disproportionately benefits those who need it the least.

Add a "for the first $100,000 earned per year and I'd find it far more palatable. Especially since the loss in revenue will eventually lead to more public service cuts.

Quote:
Not wages, per sé, but our Social Security checks are indexed for inflation, which is only fair.
If I recall correctly, the growth of SSI deductions and benefits was changed to "chained" CPI which assumes that price rises in goods will result in consumers finding an alternative (read: lower quality) product. Given this assumption is ongoing, I expect that means when I retire, I'll be eating cat food for dinner.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 29th June 2019 at 06:14 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 06:39 AM   #212
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Do investment returns not in general increase over time?

But that doesn't even address the fact that this change disproportionately benefits those who need it the least.

Add a "for the first $100,000 earned per year and I'd find it far more palatable. Especially since the loss in revenue will eventually lead to more public service cuts.

If I recall correctly, the growth of SSI deductions and benefits was changed to "chained" CPI which assumes that price rises in goods will result in consumers finding an alternative (read: lower quality) product. Given this assumption is ongoing, I expect that means when I retire, I'll be eating cat food for dinner.
No, it doesn't mean a lower quality product.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 06:41 AM   #213
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Retirees are already eating cat food. You'll be eating dry cat food.

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No, it doesn't mean a lower quality product.
The feasts shall be quite fancy indeed.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 07:01 AM   #214
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/29/polit...man/index.html

Quote:
President Donald Trump said Friday he was "extremely angry and very unhappy" about the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi but claimed that "nobody has directly pointed a finger" at Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, despite the conclusions of the CIA and a United Nations report.

"I'm extremely angry and unhappy about a thing like that taking place," Trump said when asked by CNN's Jim Acosta about Khashoggi.

[snip]

And despite Trump's claim that "nobody has directly pointed a finger" at bin Salman, his own CIA, according to a senior US official and a source familiar with the matter, concluded the Saudi ruler authorized the brutal murder, CNN reported in November 2018. A United Nations report released last week also implicated bin Salman.

“I did mention it to him very strongly," Trump said when asked about raising the brutal murder. "That was a bad event."
"I asked him what was happening," Trump told reporters.
When asked about the CIA's assessment by US intelligence sources that bin Salman authorized the murder of Khashoggi, according to a senior US official and a source familiar with the matter, Trump said he "cannot comment on intelligence."
"We can declassify ... the truth is I don't want to talk about intelligence," Trump said.
Trump more broadly defended his relationships with world leaders, including the Saudis and Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying he gets "along with a lot of people."
Well, as long as he mentioned it “very strongly.”

ETA
and I suspect President Trump has never in his life spoken truer words when he said, “I don’t want to talk about intelligence.”

MORE ETA
extremely angry. I just want to emphasize the extremely part.

Last edited by Ladewig; 29th June 2019 at 07:07 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 07:18 AM   #215
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Retirees are already eating cat food. You'll be eating dry cat food.

The feasts shall be quite fancy indeed.
Fancy Feast is more expensive than Chicken of the Sea. It'll have to be the dry stuff.
Old 29th June 2019, 09:45 AM   #216
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Seems he has backtracked on more tariffs against China.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #217
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Seems he has backtracked on more tariffs against China.
Only while he's in the presence of Xi. Once he retreats behind our borders he'll start hurling turds again.
Old 29th June 2019, 09:56 AM   #218
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Like what?
Sorry. There's a whole Internet world out there for someone who wants to know how researchers come up with statistics like that. It's off topic and I posted it to answer a question, not to get into a big debate about it.
Old 29th June 2019, 10:52 AM   #219
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Sorry. There's a whole Internet world out there for someone who wants to know how researchers come up with statistics like that. It's off topic and I posted it to answer a question, not to get into a big debate about it.
Although I don't see your answer as actually addressing my question, I do agree that it's off topic and not worth getting into a debate about.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 10:55 AM   #220
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He also said he would allow US companies to continue to sell to Huawei.

Does that mean that that National Emergency is over?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 11:01 AM   #221
Venom
Master Poster

DEL

Last edited by Venom; 29th June 2019 at 12:05 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 11:41 AM   #222
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Here it is again, just so every one can see what a liar you are:
Not lying, mistaken.

I owe you an apology, because I completely missed that sentence you responded to. Mea culpa maxima.
Old 29th June 2019, 11:43 AM   #223
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump plans a ticketed-access VIPs, friends and family only area at July 4 celebration according to the The Washington Post
Old 29th June 2019, 12:17 PM   #224
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump plans a ticketed-access VIPs, friends and family only area at July 4 celebration according to the The Washington Post
Great idea! Quarantine them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 12:58 PM   #225
Steve
Philosopher

That’s good, as long as he bans all tv media too.
Old 29th June 2019, 01:09 PM   #226
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

President Donald Trump is planning a special, private celebration in Washington, D.C. on the Fourth of July for his family and friends, as well as ticketed “VIP” guests.

The Secret Service has said that this event will block off an area from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to around the midpoint of the reflecting pool.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/tru...ps-report/amp/
Old 29th June 2019, 01:18 PM   #227
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

President Donald Trump is planning a special, private celebration in Washington, D.C. on the Fourth of July for his family and friends, as well as ticketed “VIP” guests.

The Secret Service has said that this event will block off an area from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to around the midpoint of the reflecting pool.

Selling access to the Lincoln Memorial reminded me of selling g access to the Lincoln Bedroom. I am a bit surprised that President Trump doesn’t do that. I guess I was wrong to think that he would take advantage of every money grabbing scene that could possibly be employed.
Old 29th June 2019, 01:50 PM   #228
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
At the G-20 summit in Osaka, Japan, US President Donald Trump was asked about Russian President Vladimir Putin's assertion that Western-style liberalism was becoming "obsolete."

By "Western-style liberalism," Putin was referring to the political ideology common in Western countries that emphasizes democracy, market economies, and individual liberty.

When asked about Putin's comments by a reporter, Trump appeared to think Putin was referring to liberals on the West Coast of the United States.

"If you look at what's happening in Los Angeles...San Francisco...[cities] run by a group of liberal people," Trump said.

FULL COVERAGE: Abe's G-20 show eclipsed by Trump-China trade talks, tweets

The president also added that LA and SF were "sad to look at" because of their liberal leadership.

Trump also took questions on the exchange between Kamala Harris and Joe Biden during the first Democratic debate.

"She's been given too much credit for what she did. It wasn't that outstanding," Trump said of Harris confronting Biden. "He was hit harder than he should have been hit."

When asked specifically about Biden's past stances on busing, Trump appeared to think the controversy was around the mode of transportation itself, and not school desegregation.

"It has been something that they've done for a long period of time," Trump said. "There aren't that many ways of getting people to schools."
Linky.
Old 29th June 2019, 02:08 PM   #229
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not so sure he can do that, for a public place? I was hoping to see him forced to be in front of a free audience of diverse Americans, not just his supporters. At any rate, I'm sure he will declare any protesters he can see as "Un-American".
Old 29th June 2019, 02:09 PM   #230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

“To be true to ourselves, we must be true to others”
— Jimmy Carter

“We the people tell the government what to do, it doesn’t tell us.”
— Barack Obama

“I didn’t rape her, she wasn’t my type”.
— Donald Trump
Old 29th June 2019, 03:00 PM   #231
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Selling access to the Lincoln Memorial reminded me of selling g access to the Lincoln Bedroom. I am a bit surprised that President Trump doesn’t do that. I guess I was wrong to think that he would take advantage of every money grabbing scene that could possibly be employed.
How do you know he doesn't?
Old 29th June 2019, 03:00 PM   #232
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Not lying, mistaken.

I owe you an apology, because I completely missed that sentence you responded to. Mea culpa maxima.
Thanks. My apologies for getting so snippy about it.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:03 PM   #233
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
From there (and your quote):

Quote:
When asked specifically about Biden's past stances on busing, Trump appeared to think the controversy was around the mode of transportation itself, and not school desegregation.

"It has been something that they've done for a long period of time," Trump said. "There aren't that many ways of getting people to schools."
Holy .
Old 29th June 2019, 03:05 PM   #234
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Linky.

The President trolling us on election security and freedom of the press with his dictator BFF.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Once again, proving how easy it is to win trade wars, President Trump makes a signifcant concession to China.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48810070
CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/29/polit...man/index.html

Well, as long as he mentioned it “very strongly.”
Joking with Putin about election interference and suppressing the press. Rescinding sanctions against Huawei. Contradicting U.S. intelligence sources on Khashoggi. Offering to meet Kim at the DMZ. All within the past what, 24-36 hours? I keep saying this: At some point doesn't this pattern have to alarm more than one GOP senator? I don't think the U.S. can afford another four years of Trump, from a national security standpoint.

Kasich as a third party candidate could actually win. I hope that he or somewhat like him does make such a run. It would be the patriotic thing to do.

Oh and fencing off the Lincoln Memorial. **** that. I wonder if they'll include the Vietnam War Memorial as well. If I lived in the D.C. area I would boycott all festivities on the mall. (Actually I might do that anyway; Washington in July is not pleasant.) Either that or show up with signs strictly to protest.

I don't know what the next insult to democracy will be, but at some point the camel is going to start staggering under the burden of Trump's flagrantly un-American attitudes.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 03:28 PM   #235
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How do you know he doesn't?
I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that President Trump is so bad at hiding that sort of thing, that it would have come out by now.

Then again, I think they got rid of the official visitors log in 2016, so that might make this sort of thing a bit easier to pull off.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:34 PM   #236
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that President Trump is so bad at hiding that sort of thing, that it would have come out by now.

Then again, I think they got rid of the official visitors log in 2016, so that might make this sort of thing a bit easier to pull off.
Well, as a hotelier he would supposedly know that keeping room availability tight is the key to maximizing margins. So keep the Lincoln bedroom unavailable and give them the address of the Trump International.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:51 PM   #237
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:

I'd post a head palm pic but I don't want to upset anyone. Instead I'll just say "Holy crap! What the hell is WRONG with that idiot?"
Old 29th June 2019, 03:53 PM   #238
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Kasich as a third party candidate could actually win. I hope that he or somewhat like him does make such a run. It would be the patriotic thing to do.
Have you listened to Republicans, lately? Especially the ones who are saying things like, "Trump hates fake news so much, so why would he lie to us?"

Kasich would make for a decent spoiler candidate, possibly, but he has little hope of winning without a united Republican Party behind him... which, given Trump, it definitely won't be. The far right propaganda about all the "good" things that Trump's been doing has had real effect. That's even if those things are completely made up and if he had nothing to do with them. Nor does it matter much to the majority of Republicans that those "good" things are things that they would be screaming their lungs out in outrage, had it been a Democrat doing them instead of Trump.

Last edited by Aridas; 29th June 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 03:59 PM   #239
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
No, he couldn't. But he might siphon off enough R votes to defeat Trump. Better would be for some actual right-winger to run, and attract the Nazi & Fundy votes.
Old 29th June 2019, 04:22 PM   #240
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

I had a great meeting with President Xi of China yesterday, far better than expected. I agreed not to increase the already existing Tariffs that we charge China while we continue to negotiate. China has agreed that, during the negotiation, they will begin purchasing large.....

....amounts of agricultural product from our great Farmers. At the request of our High Tech companies, and President Xi, I agreed to allow Chinese company Huawei to buy product from them which will not impact our National Security. Importantly, we have opened up negotiations...

....again with China as our relationship with them continues to be a very good one. The quality of the transaction is far more important to me than speed. I am in no hurry, but things look very good! There will be no reduction in the Tariffs currently being charged to China.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics