ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2019, 07:04 PM   #1
applecorped
Suspended

Europe wants modern-day Star of David labels on all Israel products

https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...made-products/

The European Union is poised to mandate that Israeli products made in contested territories carry consumer warning labels, a decision that could trigger American anti-boycott laws and open up what legal experts describe as a "Pandora's box" of litigation, according to multiple sources
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:50 PM   #2
d4m10n
Illuminator

Title seems a bit off, since Israel also has non-contested national territory.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:51 PM   #3
webfusion
Philosopher

Not "all" Israeli products.
Just those from areas that were liberated from Syrian and Jordanian occupations.

The point of distribution is Ben Gurion International outside of Tel Aviv. (Or, ships that leave from Haifa or Ashdod ports). Using that as a reference, these are coming from Israel.
As are many things produced by Palestinians, both in Gaza and W.B. ---- they pass through the hands of Israeli brokers and exporters.
There is no such thing as a State of Palestine, except in the fertile imaginations of many.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:55 PM   #4
webfusion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Title seems a bit off, since Israel also has non-contested national territory.
Well, to nit pick, it IS contested by Palestinians.
They claim it's ALL theirs, and Jews should GTFO.
Some have even suggested that Israeli Jews "go back to Europe"
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:30 PM   #5
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
I highly doubt the EU is going to go by the Palestinian definition.

And by that I mean I know they're not.

So what's the point in supplying us with this little bit of trivia?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:57 PM   #6
d4m10n
Illuminator

For those interested in further reading.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 01:21 AM   #7
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Europe wants modern-day Star of David labels the flag of Israel on all Israel products

FTFY!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 01:56 AM   #8
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
FTFY!
More to the point, the cited article clearly states:

"The Advocate General of the European Court of Justice recently issued non-binding opinion arguing that EU law requires Israeli-made products to be labelled as coming from "settlements" and "Israeli colonies." "

So that'll be words, not symbols or flags. More to the point, I thought country of origin labelling was mandatory in many countries, so clarifying that goods from "Israel" are actually from Israeli-occupied areas that are not part of Israel is hardly earth-shattering.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 03:41 AM   #9
catsmate
No longer the 1

Quote:
Europe wants modern-day Star of David labels on all Israel products
How unexpected, applecorped's overblown claim is a lie.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 05:09 AM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It could be construed to mean "Buy this, it's made by Palestinians" ? That is, if there are enough Pro-Palestine people in Europe?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 07:00 AM   #11
dann
Philosopher

There are.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 07:27 AM   #12
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
It could be construed to mean "Buy this, it's made by Palestinians" ? That is, if there are enough Pro-Palestine people in Europe?
We've got various knickknacks in our house that just say "Made in Palestine", a few I think that say "Made in West Bank". I assume those are made by actual Palestinian people, not by Israelis living in Settlements within the West Bank. Christmas decorations made from carved olive wood. My wife and mother in law buy them in Germany, they make nice conversation pieces along with the dishes that say "Made in Germany, British Zone".

That makes me think that this is targeted at things made by Israelis living in the settlements.

It almost sounds as if there would be three potential labels:

Palestinian
Israeli (made by Israelis within the pre-1967 boundaries)
Israeli colonies and settlements - just what it sounds, Israeli occupied parts of West Bank and Golan.

ETA: And these would just be the regular national origin labels all products get, just like the "Made in China" or "Hecho in Mexico" labels we Americans see on so many of our products. The regulation seems more along the lines of requiring products made in Taiwan to be labeled as coming from Taiwan instead of saying "Made in China, ROC" as used to be seen. It is just a recognition that the EU does not recognize the settlements as being a permanent part of Israel.

Last edited by crescent; 10th August 2019 at 07:47 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 07:41 AM   #13
Giz
Philosopher

Not "all" Israeli products.
Just those from areas that were liberated from Syrian and Jordanian occupations.
EU: But those were moral occupations, on account of not being Jewish!
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 10:30 AM   #14
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

I love how the narrative is always right wing anti semitism, but the policy, every single time, is left wing anti semitism
Old 10th August 2019, 10:59 AM   #15
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Being a left-wing USA atheist Jew, I see that there is a crucial distinction between anti-semitism and anti-israeli I have no problem opposing many of the political policies of the current Israeli government without hating myself or my family, and I can fully understand the idea that the occupied territories are not to be simply considered as legitimate parts of Israel. This distinction between a government and a people seems fairly simple to me, yet unfortunately much of the anti-Israeli rhetoric I hear on both the left and the right is deeply intermingled with classic antisemitic memes. This frightens me in terms of my own safety and that of my children. Of course this has not been helped by efforts by the Israeli government itself, and some of its supporters in the USA, to confuse the issue by calling on Jews to reflexively support Israel as somehow a part of their own identity. Some buy into it but many (I hope most) do not. Screw that! I am an American first and always, not a secondary Israeli. In fact I have even less cultural connection to Israel than to Eastern Europe and Russia, from which my grandparents originated, or to Florida which hass some nice bagel shops and delis.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 11:05 AM   #16
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Wait wait wait. You are making it too complicated. We can't have that, can we.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:44 AM   #17
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Being a left-wing USA atheist Jew, I see that there is a crucial distinction between anti-semitism and anti-israeli I have no problem opposing many of the political policies of the current Israeli government without hating myself or my family, and I can fully understand the idea that the occupied territories are not to be simply considered as legitimate parts of Israel. This distinction between a government and a people seems fairly simple to me, yet unfortunately much of the anti-Israeli rhetoric I hear on both the left and the right is deeply intermingled with classic antisemitic memes. This frightens me in terms of my own safety and that of my children. Of course this has not been helped by efforts by the Israeli government itself, and some of its supporters in the USA, to confuse the issue by calling on Jews to reflexively support Israel as somehow a part of their own identity. Some buy into it but many (I hope most) do not. Screw that! I am an American first and always, not a secondary Israeli. In fact I have even less cultural connection to Israel than to Eastern Europe and Russia, from which my grandparents originated, or to Florida which hass some nice bagel shops and delis.

Well you have to remember in the Middle East, as is mentioned in the 'Kosher Tax' episode of the Conspiracy Skeptic podcast (Linked below), the governments there never made a distinction between Israeli Jews and Jews, they simply blamed it on 'The Jew'.

http://www.gokorea.info/cp/cpunplugged14.mp3

I've also finished watching the first episode of the second season of the British, series 'History Cold Case' entitled 'The Bodies in the Well' and it shows exactly where things like this can end up.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:10 AM   #18
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I love how the narrative is always right wing anti semitism, but the policy, every single time, is left wing anti semitism
There is no antisemitism here at all. Try again
Old 11th August 2019, 04:50 AM   #19
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Except for the lack of anti-Semitism...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:14 AM   #20
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
There is no antisemitism here at all. Try again

Really? From Labourís own report:

ďThe evidence is clear enough. The worst cases of antisemitism in our party have included Holocaust denial, crude Jewish-banker stereotypes, conspiracy theories blaming Israel for 9/11 or every war on the Rothschild family, and even one member who appeared to believe that Hitler had been misunderstood.Ē

http://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uplo...tisemitism.pdf

Itís rather disgusting, not just to see the racism but to see it denied.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:39 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Giz View Post

ďThe evidence is clear enough. The worst cases of antisemitism in our party have included Holocaust denial, crude Jewish-banker stereotypes, conspiracy theories blaming Israel for 9/11 or every war on the Rothschild family, and even one member who appeared to believe that Hitler had been misunderstood.Ē

The Labour party isn't posting in this thread...
Old 11th August 2019, 10:59 AM   #22
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

What the hell are you on about? this thread is not about the Labour Party.
Old 11th August 2019, 08:13 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

yeah... Send Them Back, Send Them Back....

[/sarcasm]
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 08:22 PM   #24
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

THIS! It needs to screamed from the highest rooftops until certain people listen. Criticising Israel is NOT anti-Semitism any more than criticising the Vatican is anti-catholic. Those "certain people" are mostly unscrupulous Israeli politicians and Jewish clerics who attempt to conflate the two for political and religious reasons....

Israel has some horrible policies and a terrible human rights record when it comes the dealing with its neighbours.... and these deserve to be roundly criticised!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:56 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...made-products/

The European Union is poised to mandate that Israeli products made in contested territories carry consumer warning labels, a decision that could trigger American anti-boycott laws and open up what legal experts describe as a "Pandora's box" of litigation, according to multiple sources
It will be easier when they give up the lie of a two state solution, then it is all just Israeli.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:59 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Except for the lack of anti-Semitism...
But any criticism of any Isreali policy is fundamentally anti-Semitic. So there are tons of anti semitic isreali jews because they object to their nations policies.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:18 AM   #27
Wudang
BOFH

The international working definition if anti-semitism specifically specificall states
" criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."
Old 12th August 2019, 07:27 AM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
The international working definition if anti-semitism specifically specificall states
" criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."
I believe you, but I'd still like a cite anyway.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:36 AM   #29
Armitage72
Illuminator

I am an American first and always, not a secondary Israeli.

Benjamin Netanyahu is "your Prime Minister". You must have missed the memo.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:55 AM   #30
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I believe you, but I'd still like a cite anyway.

Of course. https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/node/196

Discussion and more links on wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workin...f_Antisemitism
Old 12th August 2019, 08:21 AM   #31
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
What the hell are you on about? this thread is not about the Labour Party.
Pipelineaudio said there was left wing antisemitism and you said there was none. I posted a link showing you, a U.K. poster, that the main left wing party in the U.K. was in fact anti Semitic.

Seems pretty obvious. But maybe some folks just donít want to hear.
Old 12th August 2019, 08:29 AM   #32
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Pipelineaudio said there was left wing antisemitism and you said there was none. I posted a link showing you, a U.K. poster, that the main left wing party in the U.K. was in fact anti Semitic.

Yep antisemitism is one of those things that crops up in all kinds of nutters.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:08 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oh some crafty word play there! Well done.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:10 AM   #34
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Oh some crafty word play there! Well done.
The word play consistes mainly of ignoring the meaning of the word "here".

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 09:37 AM   #35
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Not even close to what happened.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:43 PM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
THIS! It needs to screamed from the highest rooftops until certain people listen. Criticising Israel is NOT anti-Semitism any more than criticising the Vatican is anti-catholic. Those "certain people" are mostly unscrupulous Israeli politicians and Jewish clerics who attempt to conflate the two for political and religious reasons....

Israel has some horrible policies and a terrible human rights record when it comes the dealing with its neighbours.... and these deserve to be roundly criticised!
You can say that about every freaking country in the Mideast...but the left loves to single out Isreal. Not that Israel policies do not deserve criticism ..they often do...but I don't like Double standards.

Still want to know what happens to the Six plus million Jews living in Israel when the "Zionist Enitty" is eliminated...something the Left always try to dodge.
I could point out that the hard line anti Zionism prevailent here just helps Bibi whom I despise... to say in power and undermines his opponents. but I doubt that will do any good.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:45 PM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You can say that about every freaking country in the Mideast...but the left loves to single out Isreal. Not that Israel policies do not deserve criticism ..they often do...but I don't like Double standards.

Still want to know what happens to the Six plus million Jews living in Israel when the "Zionist Enitty" is eliminated...something the Left always try to dodge.
I could point out that the hard line anti Zionism prevailent here just helps Bibi whom I despise... to say in power and undermines his opponents. but I doubt that will do any good.
At least can we stop pretending that there is any kind of occupied territory and just admit that isreal conquered it and then things like this wouldn't be a problem. They are really no better than any other country in the region and shouldn't expect them to be so.
Old 12th August 2019, 10:40 PM   #38
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
but I don't like Double standards.
Then you probably should Google 'US foreign aid to Israel' and wait for your mind to be blown.
Old 13th August 2019, 12:27 PM   #39
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
More to the point, the cited article clearly states:

"The Advocate General of the European Court of Justice recently issued non-binding opinion arguing that EU law requires Israeli-made products to be labelled as coming from "settlements" and "Israeli colonies." "

So that'll be words, not symbols or flags. More to the point, I thought country of origin labelling was mandatory in many countries, so clarifying that goods from "Israel" are actually from Israeli-occupied areas that are not part of Israel is hardly earth-shattering.
Country of origin labeling is required in the US. Has been since 1960, IIRC.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:37 PM   #40
Robin
Philosopher

That title is totally not poisoning the well.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events