ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 11th August 2019, 02:39 PM   #41
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,571
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I seem to recall several threads about conditions in Europe that were started by a dude in a basement in eastern Washington who has never lived in Europe. That same dude is now telling people who do not live in the USA that they cannot understand conditions there (as if conditions are the same everywhere in the country). That same dude does not understand the concept of hypocritical. his whole simplistic purpose here is to look for excuses to post infantile insults without knowing or even understanding that his own statements contradict themselves.
He also outed himself as a racist by whinging about white childless Europeans early on.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:44 PM   #42
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
I think that a lot of these kids choose to shoot rather than other means of "expression" because they see that they can be big stars on the internet and TV if they take out enough people. They're young and possibly stupid/mentally disturbed enough to think that way I suppose. This reminds me of the Boston Bomber's glamour shot on the cover of Rolling Stone.
Whatever other motives there are, I think this is at least one of the keys.

If it is, some -or maybe most- of these can be prevented by making sure young men get the attention they crave before they become angry and disenfranchised.

Making sure they have jobs and hobbies, and are engaged in activities that give them purpose. Everyone -young and old, black and white, green and blue- need a reason to live and a reason to "play ball" with the greater society around them.

Making sure they are engaged members of their communities. I think churches or youth groups or sports are good for this, and would love to see more options for young people in general.

Making sure help there for them during times when stress is sure to be high. The loss of a job, a breakup, death in the family or whatever -everyone needs to be made to feel valuable and important, regardless of the circumstances.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:50 PM   #43
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,272
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's funny how this is not discussed (more). Caucasians make up only slightly more than half of the US population, but are responsible for 90% of school shootings. Had it been scary blacks or Muslims who were that overrepresented, the discourse would have been dominated by discussion on what dark thoughts inherent in the African or muslim made them so to shoot up schools. Instead the debate is on non-specified mental illness, that old boogeyman, and silliness like whether rock, sorry, Dungeons and Dragons, sorry, video games cause these poor white teens, and for some reason only the white teens, to snap and kill their classmates. Funnily enough I have never once seemed the question raised if Doom or Call of Duty could turn poor innocent impressionable Muslim boys into frothing suicide bombers, or if all those poor suicide bombers are really just mentally ill.

So I suppose this a dual thread: why are we whites so overrepresented, and why is this not discussed more.

Could it have something to do with how we, as the majority in so many ways (male, white, in most cases heterosexual, etc.), lack the feeling of brotherhood and community that many oppressed/minority groups have by virtue of them being, well, oppressed minorities? Certainly, from the outside looking in (ie. as a white person), African-Americans seem to care more about each other, even across social classes, than we Caucasians. Just look at how we label those less fortunate than us "rednecks and hillbillies and distance ourselves from them. African-Americans seem to have "embraced" the fact that many of them are less well off in rap and hip-hop and other aspects of their popular culture. It's not us middle-class African-Americans and those dirty thugs living in ghettos, it's just us, African-Americans, fighting a common cause against racism and income inequality.

As for why it's not talked about, is it simply because whites are the majority and thus have a great deal of control over the conversation?
White people are more likely to be in school?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:54 PM   #44
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,313
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
White people are more likely to be in school?
No.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:55 PM   #45
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Making sure they have jobs and hobbies, and are engaged in activities that give them purpose. Everyone -young and old, black and white, green and blue- need a reason to live and a reason to "play ball" with the greater society around them.

Some people would rather give them scapegoats. That's also much cheaper.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:59 PM   #46
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 18,182
Entitlement.

White males feel they are entitled to whatever they want, and if they can't have it, they throw a temper tantrum.

Give them a gun, and they shoot things
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:59 PM   #47
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There are disaffected and angry young white men prone to violence in many countries. The difference is they don’t have such easy access to guns.

True, but don't exculpate the American Dream, every man is the architect of his own fortune. You find it in other countries, too, but usually not as extreme as in the USA.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:00 PM   #48
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Entitlement.

White males feel they are entitled to whatever they want, and if they can't have it, they throw a temper tantrum.

Give them a gun, and they shoot things

No, most of them don't, but ask yourself: Why do so many do it now?!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:04 PM   #49
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,680
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Every weekend in Chicago" is probably more about the underlying crime than about disaffected people with motives based on revenge for some perceived slight, or racial politics.

I think the OP misses a point about school shootings is that they are part of a wider problem... they are simply spree killings in schools. Even if you widen the criteria to include spree killings such as El Paso TX, Dayton OH, Charleston SC, Las Vegas NV, Sutherland Springs TX, Killeen TX, Orlando FL, San Ysidro CA, San Bernardino CA, then you are looking at a more relevant picture. Not all, but most, and well over 70% of these types of spree shootings are perpetrated by white males.

This is the uncomfortable truth that many white males (especially those holding racial animus towards people of colour) don't want to acknowledge or talk about.
Did you go back 50 years for that tally? Hmm., 70% whites seems pretty close to the actual demographic isn't it?

But on the grander stats, aren't the numbers of spree killings too small to form any future trends? What say you merge them into murder stats- NOW what is the rate of the Whites committing that crime? And consider drive-bys that have the intent of mass murder?
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:07 PM   #50
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,313
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Entitlement.

White males feel they are entitled to whatever they want, and if they can't have it, they throw a temper tantrum.

Give them a gun, and they shoot things
Boy! You sure got me pegged. Fortunately it has been almost 50 years since anyone gave me a gun. The last time anyone did I shot at.......targets

Also, my last temper tantrum was way back at 10 AM this morning when I couldn’t get sourdough toast. Boy did that clear out the restaurant in a hurry. Lucky I didn’t have a gun like that time in met teens.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:09 PM   #51
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,913
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Certainly, from the outside looking in (ie. as a white person), African-Americans seem to care more about each other, even across social classes, than we Caucasians.
This must be why blacks kill other blacks 8 times more than whites kill other whites. What would we Americans do without the brilliance of childless Europeans?
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:15 PM   #52
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,571
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I'm a racist because an American knows more about the US than white childless Europeans. Man, this place....
This is what is known as a 'Strawman Argument'. You are incorrect.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:39 PM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,203
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Did you go back 50 years for that tally?
No, but if it helps you to shut up and pay attention, I'll list them again, with their years

2019 (22 dead) El Paso TX
2019 ( 9 dead) Dayton OH
2017 (58 dead) Las Vegas NV
2017 (25 dead) Sutherland Springs TX,
2016 (49 dead) Orlando FL
2015 ( 9 dead) Charleston SC,
2015 (14 dead) San Bernardino CA
1991 (23 dead) Killeen TX
1984 (21 dead) San Ysidro CA

And that is just a sample.

If you want more, and more recent, then I will give you more, and I will make them more recent (limited to later than 20 years ago) and include the school shootings for you

2019 (12 dead) Virginian Beach VA
2018 (17 dead) Marjory Stoneman DOuglas High School FL
2018 (11 dead) Pittsburgh PA
2018 (12 dead) Thosand Oaks,CA
2018 (10 dead) Santa Fe TX
2013 (12 dead) Washington Navy Yard DC
2012 (27 dead) Sandy Hook Elementary School CN
2012 (12 dead) Aurora CO
2007 (32 dead) Virginia Tech VA
1999 (13 dead) Columbine High School

And you know what, that is STILL not all of them!

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Hmm., 70% whites seems pretty close to the actual demographic isn't it?
No. No it isn't, because I just limited it to school shootings. When you include all school shootings, then about 90% of them are carried out by white males!
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:00 PM   #54
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,018
This guy found some interesting statistics about mass shooters...

For one thing, their races pretty much matched those of the population up through 2013. So our question here is what changed in 2014 to shift that, and the usual mind-reading claims people like to offer can't work, chronologically. Trump didn't matter yet, and Obama had already been President for 6 years without the Black President Resentment that some self-proclaimed mind-readers love to blather about kicking in yet.

Another popular mind-reading claim on this subject, the one about white guys all thinking the world owes us something because we're just so "privileged" (or supposed to be, or whatever) fails not only because most of us don't do mass shootings (and because the claim's internal logic is nonsense that even those pushing it don't really buy themselves), but also because there was nothing to change that situation between 2013 and 2014.

Another popular mind-reading claim on this subject, that these people are angry at women for rejecting them, also don't work for the actual statistics. They are 57% single and 22% divorced, which leaves 21% married, which is certainly skewed from the numbers for the general population, but not 100:0 like this claim requires (or at least requires it to be really close to). Also, many of them write or record "manifestos" listing their grievances, so if this were something they really have in common, it would show up there. A few have indeed mentioned this and even focused on it and chose their targets accordingly, but the rest who didn't didn't.

Part of the problem of trying to identify causes for mass shootings is that anything & everything you can ever find that they have in common will also be something that lots & lots of other people have in common with them. (For example, there are well over 200 million white people in this country, maybe closer to 250, half of which are men, and how many mass shootings? But there are also similarly vast numbers of people who get sexually rejected repeatedly, or recently lost their jobs...) And if the rest of us don't do it, then those things we have in common with them can't be causes of what they do and we don't do.

The only ways to find any real answers would be scientific endeavors like interviewing/interrogating those who get captured alive, comparing their manifestos when they have one, or taking their brains off to a lab. If that's not being done enough or hasn't yielded real answers yet, just making up stuff to conveniently fit one's preconceptions doesn't make up for it.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:08 PM   #55
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,913
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
This guy found some interesting statistics about mass shooters...

For one thing, their races pretty much matched those of the population up through 2013. So our question here is what changed in 2014 to shift that, and the usual mind-reading claims people like to offer can't work, chronologically. Trump didn't matter yet, and Obama had already been President for 6 years without the Black President Resentment that some self-proclaimed mind-readers love to blather about kicking in yet.

Another popular mind-reading claim on this subject, the one about white guys all thinking the world owes us something because we're just so "privileged" (or supposed to be, or whatever) fails not only because most of us don't do mass shootings (and because the claim's internal logic is nonsense that even those pushing it don't really buy themselves), but also because there was nothing to change that situation between 2013 and 2014.

Another popular mind-reading claim on this subject, that these people are angry at women for rejecting them, also don't work for the actual statistics. They are 57% single and 22% divorced, which leaves 21% married, which is certainly skewed from the numbers for the general population, but not 100:0 like this claim requires (or at least requires it to be really close to). Also, many of them write or record "manifestos" listing their grievances, so if this were something they really have in common, it would show up there. A few have indeed mentioned this and even focused on it and chose their targets accordingly, but the rest who didn't didn't.

Part of the problem of trying to identify causes for mass shootings is that anything & everything you can ever find that they have in common will also be something that lots & lots of other people have in common with them. (For example, there are well over 200 million white people in this country, maybe closer to 250, half of which are men, and how many mass shootings? But there are also similarly vast numbers of people who get sexually rejected repeatedly, or recently lost their jobs...) And if the rest of us don't do it, then those things we have in common with them can't be causes of what they do and we don't do.

The only ways to find any real answers would be scientific endeavors like interviewing/interrogating those who get captured alive, comparing their manifestos when they have one, or taking their brains off to a lab. If that's not being done enough or hasn't yielded real answers yet, just making up stuff to conveniently fit one's preconceptions doesn't make up for it.
Good post. And I'll do some mind-reading of my own. I think the recent spike in mass shooting has to do copycats with the attention the New Zealand Mosque massacre received. At least two recent shooters were inspired by the Christchurch shootings.

As for the "white people" and school shootings. This might have to do with white kids being more likely to be prescribed SSRI's and other horrific psychotropic drugs.

But yeah, whenever you see a European guy asking why white people are over represented with re. gun violence (lol), you know he has no idea what he's talking about.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:22 PM   #56
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,680
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No, but if it helps you to shut up and pay attention, I'll list them again, with their years

2019 (22 dead) El Paso TX
2019 ( 9 dead) Dayton OH
2017 (58 dead) Las Vegas NV
2017 (25 dead) Sutherland Springs TX,
2016 (49 dead) Orlando FL
2015 ( 9 dead) Charleston SC,
2015 (14 dead) San Bernardino CA
1991 (23 dead) Killeen TX
1984 (21 dead) San Ysidro CA

And that is just a sample.

If you want more, and more recent, then I will give you more, and I will make them more recent (limited to later than 20 years ago) and include the school shootings for you

2019 (12 dead) Virginian Beach VA
2018 (17 dead) Marjory Stoneman DOuglas High School FL
2018 (11 dead) Pittsburgh PA
2018 (12 dead) Thosand Oaks,CA
2018 (10 dead) Santa Fe TX
2013 (12 dead) Washington Navy Yard DC
2012 (27 dead) Sandy Hook Elementary School CN
2012 (12 dead) Aurora CO
2007 (32 dead) Virginia Tech VA
1999 (13 dead) Columbine High School

And you know what, that is STILL not all of them!



No. No it isn't, because I just limited it to school shootings. When you include all school shootings, then about 90% of them are carried out by white males!
And if America was 70% White, wouldn't you expect 70% of shooters to be
be White too? I think you are a racist cherry picker.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:26 PM   #57
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,680
Or maybe some use the "just one drop (of White) blood)? So, Hispanics are White, Blacks who ween't born in Africa are White, Arabs are White?????
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:38 PM   #58
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,313
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Or maybe some use the "just one drop (of White) blood)? So, Hispanics are White, Blacks who ween't born in Africa are White, Arabs are White?????
Everybody white. Some just have darker skin than others.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:40 PM   #59
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
This guy found some interesting statistics about mass shooters...

For one thing, their races pretty much matched those of the population up through 2013. So our question here is what changed in 2014 to shift that...

They are 57% single and 22% divorced, which leaves 21% married...
Other stuff he found that is known about mass shooters, and the interesting conclusion from them...

35% had already been convicted of something as adults
62% had already done something abusive/harassing before
27% had already committed domestic violence or stalking before
77% planned it for more than a week
More than 50% leaked hints & clues about what they were planning while they were planning it
More than 50% included a family member or boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse as one of the victims
62% had already shown what the FBI considers signs of likely mental health problems with or without diagnosis
25% had already been diagnosed

They also generally tend to do these things, although he didn't give numbers for these:
►Have 3-4 inciting stressors around same time, not just 1
►Study other people who'd done this kind of thing before
►Collect a "kit" of stuff to use during the spree, but largely not useful stuff for killing, as if ceremonial or image-projecting
►Blend their multiple grievances together, thinking of them as connected into one big thing
►Have experienced severe childhood traumas
►Show signs of desiring control & fame
►Write either no manifesto, or one that meanders among scattered topics instead of obsessing over one

He thought he'd seen a list a lot like that elsewhere before, so he did a little test on what it reminded him of. He asked a friend who's studied serial killers more than him about the list, without telling him who it was describing. And the friend's reaction was like "yes, yes, you already know I read about serial killers, what's your question about them, why are you bringing them up now". By collecting facts about mass shooters, he'd ended up with a profile of a serial killer (which is different from a mass murderer or terrorist; they would normally kill one person at a time, repeatedly over months/years, not a bunch all at once). And mass murders have been rising in the last few decades while serial killings have gone down. Conclusion: today's mass-murderers are the same people who would have been serial-killers a few decades ago, not terrorists, so trying to stick them to modern political conflicts is a mistake.

Last edited by Delvo; 11th August 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:48 PM   #60
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
well over 70% of these types of spree shootings are perpetrated by white males.
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
70% whites seems pretty close to the actual demographic isn't it?
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
And if America was 70% White, wouldn't you expect 70% of shooters to be
be White too? I think you are a racist cherry picker.
Your response is the response that would be expected from somebody who had missed the two words I highlighted. 70% would have been about the same as the general population, but the shooters being described were "well over" that.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 06:15 PM   #61
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,538
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Personally, I think it's because white men are constantly being told they're the source of all the world's problems.

They're "toxic". They are "oppressors". They're expected to excel, study hard, work every day, save money...and sit down and shut up when the rest of the world is griping because they "have all the power and privilege".
How does this one fit into your theory?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 06:28 PM   #62
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
How does this one fit into your theory?
As discussed in another thread in this subforum about a black female mass shooter, these odd female mass killers seems to have masculine traits, they're often lesbian or transgender.

You can imagine someone like that being able to experience male narcissism and rage more than a feminine female, if that makes sense. Can't quite articulate it but I'm sure most people have a feel for it.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 06:48 PM   #63
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 23,772
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Or maybe some use the "just one drop (of White) blood)? So, Hispanics are White, Blacks who ween't born in Africa are White, Arabs are White?????

I've never quite understood why people with Spanish ancestry are considered to be 'not white'. I suspect some other factor is involved.

And while "Arab" would suggest Semitic, and I'm not clear how that falls on the whiteness scale, it is also used as a catch-all term for people from the Middle East, and that leads to some contradictions as well.

Iran (AKA Persia) and Afghanistan were traditionally considered to be Caucasian. This is why light eyed, light haired Iranians and Afghans are not particularly all that uncommon.

In fact, the word "Iran" literally means "Land of Aryans". "Iran" and "Aryan" both come from the same early Persian roots.

Think about that, Aryan Brotherhood.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 06:51 PM   #64
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness
 
Silly Green Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,704
Swarthy. Not everyone can be 'white', and Spain, Italy, to some degree French and German (per Ben Franklin), Greek Arab, Egyptian....they are swarthy races. Tellingly, Franklin had experienced Germans as the mercenaries hired by the British, guess why he didn't think they were white?
__________________
Normal is just a stereotype.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:28 PM   #65
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,203
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I've never quite understood why people with Spanish ancestry are considered to be 'not white'. I suspect some other factor is involved.

And while "Arab" would suggest Semitic, and I'm not clear how that falls on the whiteness scale, it is also used as a catch-all term for people from the Middle East, and that leads to some contradictions as well.

Iran (AKA Persia) and Afghanistan were traditionally considered to be Caucasian. This is why light eyed, light haired Iranians and Afghans are not particularly all that uncommon.

In fact, the word "Iran" literally means "Land of Aryans". "Iran" and "Aryan" both come from the same early Persian roots.

Think about that, Aryan Brotherhood.
Because in the wash-up, its ALL utter BS. There is no such thing as the "white race" or for that matter the black race, or the Asian race or the Semitic race. We are all descended from the humans who left Africa about two million years ago... and they were black. Whether we are white, or black, or brown, or yellow or olive skinned, we are all, every single one of us, the same species; Home Sapiens Sapiens - a fact that must really chap the arses of white supremacists

White skinned humans didn't even exist on the earth until about 8,000 years ago, although skin had been getting lighter for about 30,000 years before then.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th August 2019 at 11:39 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:39 PM   #66
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,538
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Because in the wash-up, its ALL utter BS. There is no such thing as the "white race" or for that matter the black race, or the Asian race or the Semitic race. We are all descended from the humans who left Africa about two million years ago... and they were black. Whether we are white, or black, or brown, or yellow or olive skinned, we are all, everyone single one of us, the same species; Home Sapiens Sapiens - a fact that must really chap the arses of white supremacists

White skinned humans didn't even exist on the earth until about 8,000 years ago, although skin had been getting lighter for about 30,000 years before then.
It's like when there is an X-Men or Marvel Mutants thing on TV and they are going on about being Homo-Superior because of the X-Gene, and I'm screaming at the the TV. "One gene doesn't chance your species stupid!"
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:45 PM   #67
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,975
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It's like when there is an X-Men or Marvel Mutants thing on TV and they are going on about being Homo-Superior because of the X-Gene, and I'm screaming at the the TV. "One gene doesn't chance your species stupid!"
Tend to agree

Let's face it. Gene Simmons and Gene Roddenberry are/were two extremely odd and "different" dudes, but they were still homo-sapiens.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:50 PM   #68
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,538
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Tend to agree

Let's face it. Gene Simmons and Gene Roddenberry are/were two extremely odd and "different" dudes, but they were still homo-sapiens.
I don't know... the jury is definitely still on in regard to Gene Simmons and the rest of KISS
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:07 AM   #69
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,087
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Mumbles mentioned something I was wondering about. Money for weapons.

But black gangs have access to all kinds of weapons, they simply steal many of them rather than buy them, so I'm not sure money for weapons is it. Even if all they had were pistols they still could shoot a lot of people at a school, but they don't.
Um, no. Most crews have a few cheap handguns to go between them, if necessary - hardly the organ-destroying assault weapons that most mass murderers prefer. Even when they do hit multiple people, you almost never see anything like 9 killed and 20 badly harmed within a minute.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:28 AM   #70
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,975
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Um, no. Most crews have a few cheap handguns to go between them, if necessary - hardly the organ-destroying assault weapons that most mass murderers prefer. Even when they do hit multiple people, you almost never see anything like 9 killed and 20 badly harmed within a minute.
They do have access to AR 15s etc

Think the difference is gang killings tend to be revenge killings, where there aren't multiple people they want to kill.

More and more home made guns now as well apparently. Which is actually a good sign rather than bad, as a guess would say need for them from being harder to find "un-might blow your hand off trying to use it any time" ones
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:29 AM   #71
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,169
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's funny how this is not discussed (more). Caucasians make up only slightly more than half of the US population, but are responsible for 90% of school shootings. Had it been scary blacks or Muslims who were that overrepresented, the discourse would have been dominated by discussion on what dark thoughts inherent in the African or muslim made them so to shoot up schools.
You're mixing up two incomparible things. Color of your skin can not be causally linked to school shootings, it's just the amount of melanin your skin produces to shield from UV light and has been conclusively proven to be irrelevant to what a person is capable of - there is a meaningful difference in the ability to producte of vitamin D from sunlight and the ability to bathe in the sun for longer, that's pretty much it.

Islam on the other hand is a man-made set of beliefs. Sets of beliefs have been conclusively shown to be able to mess up with what you're capable and willing to pull off.

Plus Muslims are overrepresented in other kinds of violent acts by a factor of 6 or more. What you put forward is a factor of 2.

Quote:
Instead the debate is on non-specified mental illness, that old boogeyman, and silliness like whether rock, sorry, Dungeons and Dragons, sorry, video games cause these poor white teens, and for some reason only the white teens, to snap and kill their classmates. Funnily enough I have never once seemed the question raised if Doom or Call of Duty could turn poor innocent impressionable Muslim boys into frothing suicide bombers, or if all those poor suicide bombers are really just mentally ill.

So I suppose this a dual thread: why are we whites so overrepresented, and why is this not discussed more.
I'd reckon it's because a victim culture has developed among young white males who can't get laid and get bullied a lot. The result is a (small) portion of them seek out revenge by shooting up the school and schoolmates they hate.
It's happened before, but at workplaces - US Post in particular was notorious for this.

Quote:
Could it have something to do with how we, as the majority in so many ways (male, white, in most cases heterosexual, etc.), lack the feeling of brotherhood and community that many oppressed/minority groups have by virtue of them being, well, oppressed minorities?
Probably not.

Quote:
As for why it's not talked about, is it simply because whites are the majority and thus have a great deal of control over the conversation?
Doubtful.

McHrozni
__________________
لا إله إلا رجل والعلوم والتكنولوجيا وأنبيائه
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:33 AM   #72
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,133
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
That's not what I said, is it?


What is it about this forum lately, where the first argument is so often made by twisting the words of another poster?

No wonder the members are dropping out like flies.
Yes, that is the meaning of the words you wrote.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:35 AM   #73
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,975
Not sure why people think it isn't talked about

an un-scientific google of

mass shooters white men

Brings up 5,000,000 results
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:38 AM   #74
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,169
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not sure why people think it isn't talked about

an un-scientific google of

mass shooters white men

Brings up 5,000,000 results
Indeed, it shows up 6 million and change for me. A few examples:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...acks-worldwide,
https://news.sky.com/story/why-are-w...tings-11252808
https://www.keranews.org/post/many-m...evance-culture
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...mass-shootings

Those are from the first page of Google search.

Four articles in a single week and that's just scratching the surface. How much more should it be talked about?

McHrozni
__________________
لا إله إلا رجل والعلوم والتكنولوجيا وأنبيائه
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:15 AM   #75
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,087
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
They do have access to AR 15s etc
The average crew on the street - the ones that sell drugs on the street, hit on underaged girls, and so on? For the third time, not even a handgun for every member - and the ones they have are either stolen, or bought from a few unscrupulous gun stores at significant markup. The very few crews that actually get their hands on that kind of firepower are very high-level, and tend to get into major drug smuggling and distribution, gun running, police bribery, etc. And they don't let in the kind of guy that'll grab an AR-15 and light up a random place - that's just unwanted attention.

Last edited by Mumbles; 12th August 2019 at 03:18 AM.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:25 AM   #76
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,975
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The average crew on the street - the ones that sell drugs on the street, hit on underaged girls, and so on? For the third time, not even a handgun for every member - and the ones they have are either stolen, or bought from a few unscrupulous gun stores at significant markup. The very few crews that actually get their hands on that kind of firepower are very high-level, and tend to get into major drug smuggling and distribution, gun running, police bribery, etc. And they don't let in the kind of guy that'll grab an AR-15 and light up a random place - that's just unwanted attention.
Don't particularly want to get into an argument about it as

a) I don't really care

b) I will freely admit I probably don't know enough

Just going by stuff I read about hand made AR 15 and AK 47 style guns on the rise and articles like this

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...221-story.html
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:31 AM   #77
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,203
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The average crew on the street - the ones that sell drugs on the street, hit on underaged girls, and so on? For the third time, not even a handgun for every member - and the ones they have are either stolen, or bought from a few unscrupulous gun stores at significant markup. The very few crews that actually get their hands on that kind of firepower are very high-level, and tend to get into major drug smuggling and distribution, gun running, police bribery, etc. And they don't let in the kind of guy that'll grab an AR-15 and light up a random place - that's just unwanted attention.
This.

The weapon of choice for these sort of gangs is a small calibre handgun (because the ammunition is cheap) and its usually a "community gun" which is stashed in a known place.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:40 AM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,869
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It's like when there is an X-Men or Marvel Mutants thing on TV and they are going on about being Homo-Superior because of the X-Gene, and I'm screaming at the the TV. "One gene doesn't chance your species stupid!"
Haters gonna hate.

One, taxonomy isn't based on gene combinations.

Two, given the expressions involved, it's probably way more than one gene being expressed.

Three, "homo superior" gets the point across, so it's a good term even if it isn't a literal or scientific taxonomy claim.

Four, you go ahead and be the one to scream at Magneto that he's not really superior, and that his time hasn't really come.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:52 AM   #79
rockysmith76
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post

As for why it's not talked about, is it simply because whites are the majority and thus have a great deal of control over the conversation?
Or are you ignoring all that inner city gun violence which isn't exactly Caucasian, because its usually Black on Black violence? Picking your stats selectively are we? No agenda here at all. Gun violence is just that, Gun. Violence.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:53 AM   #80
rockysmith76
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes, I agree. It's definitely everyone else's fault.
Again that brazenly selective choice of stats, all whites are evil and the inner cities have no gun violence at all, yeah, right.....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.