IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th May 2014, 10:10 AM   #441
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
If the third eye is psychic, and psychic powers are related to the spiritual plane, then is the third eye not also related to the spiritual?
The 'third eye' acts like a line filter with the following transmission characteristics: rejection of reason, transmission of everything else.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium

Last edited by Daylightstar; 6th May 2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: "third eye" enclosed in squotes.
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:14 AM   #442
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The quran contains many terrible verses of what God will do to people, burning them in eternal fire and pouring boiling liquids on them that will burn their insides as well as their skins. I am trying to do Muslims a favour and liberate them from the fear of such a God by literary criticism of the quran.
.
Are not those awful things due to man's inhumanity to man?
Are there not wonderful things for the decent person to look forward to?
Work on that.
Try selling goodness instead of revenge as a core of Islam.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:18 AM   #443
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
If the third eye is psychic, and psychic powers are related to the spiritual plane, then is the third eye not also related to the spiritual?
The third eye (brow chakra) is just another organ like the physical eyes.
Someone using it could be a spiritual person,(moral, evolved, holy) or they could be entirely unevolved, materialistic and selfish. It would depend on that how they would use or abuse psychic development.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:21 AM   #444
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The third eye (brow chakra) is just another organ like the physical eyes.
Someone using it could be a spiritual person,(moral, evolved, holy) or they could be entirely unevolved, materialistic and selfish. It would depend on that how they would use or abuse psychic development.
That comparison never seems to actually work out like that .....
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:23 AM   #445
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The third eye (brow chakra) is just another organ like the physical eyes.
...
Except of course, this 'third eye' can not be shown to exist.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:27 AM   #446
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Our view (or at least my view) is that you failed to substantiate any of your claims.
I am not likely to be able to logically prove the existence of the spirit world.
Nobody else has been able to do it. I am still trying to prove it to myself.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:29 AM   #447
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Except of course, this 'third eye' can not be shown to exist.
You could try the exercises to open it yourself, as if it is true then anyone can potentially do it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:32 AM   #448
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am not likely to be able to logically prove the existence of the spirit world.
Nobody else has been able to do it. I am still trying to prove it to myself.
You are not likely to ever be able to demonstrate the claimed existence of a so called spirit world.

Why would you claim to want to proof the claimed existence of a so called spirit world to yourself?
You already believe it.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium

Last edited by Daylightstar; 6th May 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: belief > believe
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:36 AM   #449
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,820
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You could try the exercises to open it yourself, as if it is true then anyone can potentially do it.
How would I know if I succeeded? What would I be able to perceive/know/experience if I succeeded that I would not be able to delude myself I was perceiving/knowing/experiencing if there was no such thing as a third eye?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:36 AM   #450
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Except of course, this 'third eye' can not be shown to exist.
You could try the exercises to open it yourself, as if it is true then anyone can potentially do it.
You're asking me to open something which can not be shown to exist?
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:39 AM   #451
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
.
Are not those awful things due to man's inhumanity to man?
Are there not wonderful things for the decent person to look forward to?
Work on that.
Try selling goodness instead of revenge as a core of Islam.
As far as I am concerned the core of Islam is the lies of Muhammad, who made it all up to scare Arabs of his day into fighting for him. This means the Quran is not the words of God, and it should therefore be undermined.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:41 AM   #452
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
You're asking me to open something which can not be shown to exist?
If you try it and you open it, you will see for yourself.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:45 AM   #453
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,820
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If you try it and you open it, you will see for yourself.
How? What would he perceive/know/experience if he succeeded that he would not be able to convince himself he was perceiving/knowing/experiencing if there was no such thing as a third eye?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:47 AM   #454
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Setting aside the pineal gland third eye notions, you said it's a psychic energy channel - this implies that it has connection to psychic powers, so my question stands: If the 3rd eye is connected to psychic power, and psychics are connected to the spiritual plane, then is the 3rd eye also spiritual?
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:47 AM   #455
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
As far as I am concerned the core of Islam is the lies of Muhammad, who made it all up to scare Arabs of his day into fighting for him. This means the Quran is not the words of God, and it should therefore be undermined.
.
None of the books of the 3 major Abrahamic religions are the "words of god", there being no such thing.
ALL of them are intended to keep the faithful under the control of the clergy.
And that they do very well.
Even our Supreme Court justices, who should be the most critical of people, are ensnared in the religions they learned at Mommy's knee.
Read what "god" told Joshua to do when the Hebrews invaded the land of Canaan. Barbarism to the extreme! (that story, as is all the others in those books is fiction.)
Extreme hatred for the other guy is nothing unique about any religion.
.
But the potential for diminishing the awful nature of religions is in the religions, if it is emphasized properly.
Do that.

Last edited by I Ratant; 6th May 2014 at 10:49 AM.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:49 AM   #456
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,836
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If you try it and you open it, you will see for yourself.
After meditation I opened my Third Eye , It told me: "I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend, You could cut ties to all the lies you've been living in and if you do not want to see me again I would understand...."

__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
If you see a Nazi. Egg them
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:50 AM   #457
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... This means the Quran is not the words of God, and it should therefore be undermined.
Actually, no god has ever been shown to exist, which already justifies your first conclusion.

You appear to position yourself somewhat as a fundamentalist security liability, are you prepared to perpetrate violence to force your views onto other people?
__________________
homeopathy homicidium

Last edited by Daylightstar; 6th May 2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: "first" added.
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:51 AM   #458
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If you try it and you open it, you will see for yourself.
Unfortunately, this 'third eye' itself is invisible. Can't help you.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium

Last edited by Daylightstar; 6th May 2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:53 AM   #459
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,687
Now, now, do we really want to get involved in psychic warfare with Scorpion?

I do. I blast you with my evil spirit reiki fireball +3 Scorpion. What have you got to counter me?
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:53 AM   #460
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
How would I know if I succeeded? What would I be able to perceive/know/experience if I succeeded that I would not be able to delude myself I was perceiving/knowing/experiencing if there was no such thing as a third eye?
I have never been able to open my third eye up to now, but I have decided to have another go at it. I do not know what happens if you succeed, but I imagine you would become a clairvoyant, able to see into the spirit world and get evidence from the spirits yourself. It may be possible to be self deluded and have hallucinations that are not true visions, but maybe succeeding in opening the third eye would bring evidence that was confirmable.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:55 AM   #461
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,687
I think to open your third eye you need more XP and then roll a save vs psychic corruption. A natural 20 will do.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:56 AM   #462
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Now, now, do we really want to get involved in psychic warfare with Scorpion?

I do. I blast you with my evil spirit reiki fireball +3 Scorpion. What have you got to counter me?
Empty hands
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:57 AM   #463
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Setting aside the pineal gland third eye notions, you said it's a psychic energy channel - this implies that it has connection to psychic powers, so my question stands: If the 3rd eye is connected to psychic power, and psychics are connected to the spiritual plane, then is the 3rd eye also spiritual?
No, its just an organ.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:57 AM   #464
jnelso99
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 888
"Hey Egon...this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head."

"That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me."
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:58 AM   #465
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... opening the third eye would bring evidence that was confirmable.
non-communicable.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 10:59 AM   #466
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, its just an organ.
An entirely invisible organ floating above the head
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:00 AM   #467
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
How? What would he perceive/know/experience if he succeeded that he would not be able to convince himself he was perceiving/knowing/experiencing if there was no such thing as a third eye?
Don't answer this Scorpion, for it is, of course, a trick question.

If your instructions for opening the third eye actually lead Pixel to a real spiritual experience then you are responsible for their delayed evolution in the spirit world. Can't have that!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:00 AM   #468
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Now, now, do we really want to get involved in psychic warfare with Scorpion?

I do. I blast you with my evil spirit reiki fireball +3 Scorpion. What have you got to counter me?
Actually, there is a serious answer to that joke question, which is I would pray for you. That would create a shell of light around me, strengthening my aura.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:01 AM   #469
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, its just an organ.
An organ that channels psychic energy, right?
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:02 AM   #470
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You could try the exercises to open it yourself, as if it is true then anyone can potentially do it.

The Third Eye

In November 1956 a book called The Third Eye was published in the United Kingdom. It was written by a man named as Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, and it purported to relate his experiences while growing up in Chakpori Lamasery[1] Chokpori, Tibet after being sent there at the age of seven. The title of the book is derived from an operation, similar to trepanation, that Rampa claimed he had undergone, in which a small hole was drilled into his forehead to arouse the third eye and enhance powers of clairvoyance. The book describes the operation as follows:

The instrument penetrated the bone. A very hard, clean sliver of wood had been treated by fire and herbs and was slid down so that it just entered the hole in my head. I felt a stinging, tickling sensation apparently in the bridge of my nose. It subsided and I became aware of subtle scents which I could not identify. Suddenly there was a blinding flash. For a moment the pain was intense. It diminished, died and was replaced by spirals of colour. As the projecting sliver was being bound into place so that it could not move, the Lama Mingyar Dondup turned to me and said:" You are now one of us, Lobsang. For the rest of your life you will see people as they are and not as they pretend to be."

During the story, Rampa sees yetis and eventually encounters a mummified body of himself from an earlier incarnation. He also takes part in an initiation ceremony in which he learns that during its early history the Earth was struck by another planet, causing Tibet to become the mountain kingdom that it is today.


I read the book in 1968, never got the third eye opened.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:02 AM   #471
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,687
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Actually, there is a serious answer to that joke question, which is I would pray for you. That would create a shell of light around me, strengthening my aura.
Would that be a force field with 100 HP's? I can take that down with my iron fist technique.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:03 AM   #472
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Actually, there is a serious answer to that joke question, which is I would pray for you. That would create a shell of light around me, strengthening my aura.
The praying itself is irrelevant, it's about the stated prayer intent. Nothing else.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:04 AM   #473
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post

You appear to position yourself somewhat as a fundamentalist security liability, are you prepared to perpetrate violence to force your views onto other people?
Not at all, in fact I am trying to guide people to study the core teachings of spiritualism. Such as the teachings of Silver Birch, which teaches that humanity is one family of souls, and we are all divine.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:05 AM   #474
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Actually, there is a serious answer to that joke question, which is I would pray for you. That would create a shell of light around me, strengthening my aura.
It's not about whether the lights on the outside are on, but whether the lights on the inside are on.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:08 AM   #475
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by tsig View Post

The Third Eye

In November 1956 a book called The Third Eye was published in the United Kingdom. It was written by a man named as Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, and it purported to relate his experiences while growing up in Chakpori Lamasery[1] Chokpori, Tibet after being sent there at the age of seven. The title of the book is derived from an operation, similar to trepanation, that Rampa claimed he had undergone, in which a small hole was drilled into his forehead to arouse the third eye and enhance powers of clairvoyance. The book describes the operation as follows:

The instrument penetrated the bone. A very hard, clean sliver of wood had been treated by fire and herbs and was slid down so that it just entered the hole in my head. I felt a stinging, tickling sensation apparently in the bridge of my nose. It subsided and I became aware of subtle scents which I could not identify. Suddenly there was a blinding flash. For a moment the pain was intense. It diminished, died and was replaced by spirals of colour. As the projecting sliver was being bound into place so that it could not move, the Lama Mingyar Dondup turned to me and said:" You are now one of us, Lobsang. For the rest of your life you will see people as they are and not as they pretend to be."

During the story, Rampa sees yetis and eventually encounters a mummified body of himself from an earlier incarnation. He also takes part in an initiation ceremony in which he learns that during its early history the Earth was struck by another planet, causing Tibet to become the mountain kingdom that it is today.


I read the book in 1968, never got the third eye opened.
I read the early books of Lobsang Rampa while I was at art college in 1969
I got as far as the book about cat legends, in which cats are supposed to talk, and that finished me. I threw the books away.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:09 AM   #476
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
From:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... This means the Quran is not the words of God, and it should therefore be undermined.
to:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Not at all, in fact I am trying to guide people to study the core teachings of spiritualism. Such as the teachings of Silver Birch, which teaches that humanity is one family of souls, and we are all divine.
You're not exactly very convincing.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:09 AM   #477
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think to open your third eye you need more XP and then roll a save vs psychic corruption. A natural 20 will do.
The key to opening the third eye is to close the mind.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:10 AM   #478
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,820
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have never been able to open my third eye up to now, but I have decided to have another go at it. I do not know what happens if you succeed, but I imagine you would become a clairvoyant, able to see into the spirit world and get evidence from the spirits yourself. It may be possible to be self deluded and have hallucinations that are not true visions, but maybe succeeding in opening the third eye would bring evidence that was confirmable.
What sort of evidence would that be? How would it be confirmed?

Remember that the evidence you've described so far (e.g. being told the name of your deceased baby brother) could have been obtained in other ways than via the spirit world, or even just luckily guessed. What would be the best way to eliminate such explanations?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:11 AM   #479
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I read the early books of Lobsang Rampa while I was at art college in 1969
I got as far as the book about cat legends, in which cats are supposed to talk, and that finished me. I threw the books away.
And yet, you believe in a spirit world and third eyes etc.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:16 AM   #480
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
What sort of evidence would that be? How would it be confirmed?

Remember that the evidence you've described so far (e.g. being told the name of your deceased baby brother) could have been obtained in other ways than via the spirit world, or even just luckily guessed. What would be the best way to eliminate such explanations?
We are not talking about getting a message through a medium, we are talking about opening ourselves to the spirit world directly. So I guess we would have to work out for ourselves if the information that we received was true or false. I would suggest that the application of logic to any perceptions would be a good thing that might avoid self delusion.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.