IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th May 2014, 04:01 PM   #521
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
They breed around the world!
https://www.google.com/search?q=tin+...w=1437&bih=681
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 04:03 PM   #522
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
...There is definitely life after death. I have experienced it
Sure sure, you just can't prove it right now
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 04:18 PM   #523
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I only try once a day, at bedtime. I have not seen anything in the last few days, but I intend to give it at least a few weeks before giving up.
...
If it helps you fall asleep, good for you.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 05:40 PM   #524
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,836
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Not with 100% double layered cover, especially with the tin foil crumpled on the outside.
You could say the solidified unicorn rainbow farts were....foiled.

__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
If you see a Nazi. Egg them
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 05:52 PM   #525
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,687
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Just have an open mind. Don't be sure there is nothing; there may be something. I know there is. There is definitely life after death. I have experienced it
Have an open mind. Don't be so sure there is something there. There is definitely no afterlife.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 06:22 PM   #526
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,836
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I only try once a day, at bedtime. I have not seen anything in the last few days, but I intend to give it at least a few weeks before giving up.

If your 3rd eye needs glasses I think you will be out of luck.
So it hasn't worked for you yet, That should tell you something.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
If you see a Nazi. Egg them
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 09:05 PM   #527
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 5,140
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
The last message I got was that my husband's brother was about to die. I told my husband and a month after his brother died
Would you have counted that as a "hit" if he had died two months later? Three months? What's your cut-off for dream state prognostication?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 09:31 PM   #528
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Was that death unforeseen (except by you)?
Really old, car accident, sporting accident, death at the hands of another?
Not a victim of a lingering illness, expected to die real soon now anyway?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2014, 11:34 PM   #529
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
I tried to open my third eye for about half an hour last night. I sat down in a dark room, said the lords prayer, closed my eyes, and almost immediately a dot of light appeared in the center of my field of vision. Unfortunately it faded out after a few seconds. I tried to get it back for the next half an hour, and it appeared a few times, but faded out in seconds each time. It was like looking at a pin hole in a black board. it seemed not to be responding to my efforts of will, but rather appeared when I was relaxed. I will try again tonight, and write down any sucess on this thread.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 04:06 AM   #530
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I tried to open my third eye for about half an hour last night. I sat down in a dark room, said the lords prayer, closed my eyes, and almost immediately a dot of light appeared in the center of my field of vision. Unfortunately it faded out after a few seconds.
Your field of vision, whether your real eyes are open or closed, is associated with your real eyes, the neural pathways to your visual cortex, and the visual cortex itself. These have been well mapped over recent years - there is no trace of input from any other visual sensor and no other visual sensor to be found. There is feedback from higher levels in the visual processing to lower levels, so high-level interpretations (imagination, if you will) can affect what you see, and when you close your eyes there will be neural noise and residual after-images making visual impressions, but there will be nothing from a third eye.

If one supposes the third eye is non-physical (which would explain why there's no physical trace of it to be found), it will be unable to affect your physical visual pathways or processing, so you will be unable to see anything from it in your field of vision, though no doubt you'll be able to imagine you do (that feedback from higher cortical levels).
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 04:59 AM   #531
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lenoir City, TN/Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,605
An aside...

In "Principles of Psychology", William James made note of the fact that some adults can "visualize" while others can't.

By "visualize" he meant literally see a picture when imagining something.

He noted that children can do that, but the ability is lost in some adults.

In general, artists and poets and the like tend to retain the ability. Engineers and scientists and the like tend to lose it.

Robert Pirsig in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintentenance" would say "Romantics" tend to keep the ability and "Classicists" tend to lose it.

As a "Classicist", I have lost it. While I can clearly imagine a scene or a procedure or a part or whatever, I cannot literally "see" it in the way others can.

But I have noticed that when taking codeine-based painkillers, suddenly I can "see" things I'm imagining. Like it drops a barrier or something. I can direct cartoons, almost on my eyelids, so to speak.

Why am I mentioning this? Because the images do tend to float up to a point above and between my eyes. It can start out as a generic "glowing spot", pretty much exactly where a third eye would be. It can then be manipulated by my imaginings into images or even movies.

Hence, its easy for me to see where someone in a relaxed, suggestible state could start to "see" from that region, where the third eye would be projected to be.

So, visions seen by that third eye would be interesting, but consistent with my experience and not worthy of note unless they "saw" something not explainable by imagination.

Sorry for the hijack - back to musings on Scorpion's Spiritualism!

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 7th May 2014 at 05:02 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 10:54 AM   #532
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
I may as well ask again:
If the 3rd eye channels psychic power, and psychic power is connected to the spiritual plane, then is the 3rd eye also a part of spiritualism?
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 02:28 PM   #533
mstricky
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,533
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Was that death unforeseen (except by you)?
Really old, car accident, sporting accident, death at the hands of another?
Not a victim of a lingering illness, expected to die real soon now anyway?
Sepsis; sudden, unexpected
mstricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 03:21 PM   #534
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,527
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Sepsis; sudden, unexpected
Sepsis doesn't come out of nowhere, ma'am; it's a consequence of infection, which also doesn't come out of nowhere.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 7th May 2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarify
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 03:23 PM   #535
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Sepsis; sudden, unexpected
How can we tell that "sudden" and "unexpected" were not subjected to redefinition by you?
This would be more likely as no prior plausibility (nor meaningful evidence) exists for 'messages from spirits' or any other form of precognition, in contrast with redefinition of terms by staunch believers of the one or other irrational belief.

Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
... I have received messages in my dreams from the dead which terrified me and didn't want them; didn't want to know. Begged the universe not to use me ...
Do you often 'get messages' about people's imminent death?
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 03:35 PM   #536
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by mstricky View Post
Sepsis; sudden, unexpected
.
An untreated/infected wound... well known causes for death.
I'm minded of Christopher Reeves, killed by bed sores in a very short time.. yet Teri Schiavo went for years confined to bed, and no sores.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2014, 04:00 PM   #537
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I read the early books of Lobsang Rampa while I was at art college in 1969
I got as far as the book about cat legends, in which cats are supposed to talk, and that finished me. I threw the books away.
Magical Shields, logical, talking cats illogical. You people confuse me. Both of those are the same rubbish in a different bin, if you are going to believe in something false it might as well be the coolest option. And talking cats are much cooler than cantrips.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 06:14 AM   #538
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
I may as well ask again:
If the 3rd eye channels psychic power, and psychic power is connected to the spiritual plane, then is the 3rd eye also a part of spiritualism?
Spiritualism is a religion and part of its doctrine is that some people are clairvoyant, that is they can see into the spirit world with their third eye.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 06:21 AM   #539
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,590
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Spiritualism is a religion and part of its doctrine is that some people are clairvoyant, that is they can see into the spirit world with their third eye.
None of those yellow thingees has ever been shown to exist.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 08:14 AM   #540
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 6,101
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
None of those yellow thingees has ever been shown to exist.
Exactly. Name a religion that is not solidly grounded in pure fiction!
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 09:01 AM   #541
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Spiritualism is a religion and part of its doctrine is that some people are clairvoyant, that is they can see into the spirit world with their third eye.
Hilite by Daylightstar

But not part of reality.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 09:37 AM   #542
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Spiritualism is a religion and part of its doctrine is that some people are clairvoyant, that is they can see into the spirit world with their third eye.
Okay, so Spiritualism (the religion) tells you that you can see into the spirit world by using your third eye. Your third eye, upon seeing the spirit world, would confirm that Spiritualism is true.

There is a god because the bible says so. You learn about the reality of god from the bible.

The third eye is a circular argument:

Even if you do not succeed with your third eye attempts, all that you will learn is that

The third eye is the (or a) proof of Spiritualism and if Spiritualism wasn't true then the third eye stuff would be a fable, and it's clearly not because Spiritualism says it's real, therefore one of two things will happen:
1. You fail and must rationalize your failure to open your third eye somehow. You did not try hard enough, or you did something wrong, or you don't have enough chakra yadda ghost oomph voodoo juice, or you blame it on interference from skeptics/atheists, or something to get you off the hook.
2. You appear to succeed but without any evidence and no way to avoid explanation by hallucination/delusion.

Let us know which it was.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 11:35 AM   #543
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Hi Scorpion,

Welcome to the hornets nest. I am not going to read through all of this thread.

But I support your viewpoint that mystical experiences happen to some of us. The world of science accepts that this happens to some of us. It is a matter of explaining them.

You have your theory, which I think may have some validity because I too have had some mystical experiences. Mine just happen - and I have no control over them.

Originally Posted by steenkh
Exactly. Name a religion that is not solidly grounded in pure fiction!
Most of the members of this forum belong to the religion of secular humanism. That is - they have an unwavering belief that only the materialistic world exists. They cannot prove it - they just believe what they see and experience. Some may have had some mystical experiences, but dismiss them as a brain malfunction. And for many, they may be right. The mind is indeed subject to delusion.

But to say that there were no prophets, no spiritual inspiration, and souls do not exist, is an opinion based on their belief that science can prove everything, and if it cannot be proven in a scientific manner, it does not exist. They are entitled to their beliefs.

Just watch the stingers swarm!

Relevant to recent posts. The third eye is akin to lucid dreaming while still awake. The mind "sees" things are not physically there. While many times one may not learn anything of value, it is the occasional gem of truth that makes it all worth while.

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 8th May 2014 at 11:42 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 12:06 PM   #544
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
... it cannot be proven in a scientific manner, ...
This is a euphemism for "can not be shown to exist".

The spiritualists believe in stuff which can not be shown to exist. They're entitled to their beliefs of course, but they persist in forcing their belief onto others.
A belief for which there is not a shred of meaningful evidence.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 12:31 PM   #545
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
...They are entitled to their beliefs.

...
.
It wasn't all that long ago we weren't, and had to publicly acknowledge the spirit world or be barbecued!
And the god-shouters were equally capable of burning each other over the fictions each held dearly.
Thank god most of us today are not saddled by the fear of death at their hands.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 01:32 PM   #546
Max_mang
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Most of the members of this forum belong to the religion of secular humanism. That is - they have an unwavering belief that only the materialistic world exists. They cannot prove it - they just believe what they see and experience. Some may have had some mystical experiences, but dismiss them as a brain malfunction. And for many, they may be right. The mind is indeed subject to delusion.

But to say that there were no prophets, no spiritual inspiration, and souls do not exist, is an opinion based on their belief that science can prove everything, and if it cannot be proven in a scientific manner, it does not exist. They are entitled to their beliefs.
True critical thinkers do not say that such things don't exist. They say there is no evidence of such things. (Most will have no problem with your beliefs either...until you state that your beliefs are factual and actually exist)

Once there is evidence the mindset will change. Until then, what is the difference between Scorpion's third eye and the invisible unicorn in my cupboard?
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 04:50 PM   #547
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Just for the record:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... I want to free the minds of Muslims from fear of Allah by preaching spiritualism to them. ...
Earlier in another thread:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There are around five thousand people a year, most of them white women, converting to Islam in this country, and I feel the need to try and disuade them. ...
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 11:28 PM   #548
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
This is a euphemism for "can not be shown to exist".

The spiritualists believe in stuff which can not be shown to exist. They're entitled to their beliefs of course, but they persist in forcing their belief onto others.
A belief for which there is not a shred of meaningful evidence.
Forced? Are you being water-boarded while ghostly music is played in the background. Maybe at night when "they" invade your dreams?

We all exchange information about our mental experiences. How else do we deal with the mind problem? I did not believe the stories of others - I had to go through my own in order to doubt the non-existence of the supernatural.

Evidence? Are you not over-looking the bit about personal experience?

Anecdotes - look at history and see how many anecdotes came first - and then science found an explanation. The Koi bushmen in African had many cures from local plants - the pharmaceutical companies have made a fortune by finding out how they worked. Too bad that practical cures do not constitute a patent.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 11:37 PM   #549
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
.
It wasn't all that long ago we weren't, and had to publicly acknowledge the spirit world or be barbecued!
And the god-shouters were equally capable of burning each other over the fictions each held dearly.
Thank god most of us today are not saddled by the fear of death at their hands.
I am against the excesses of old-fashioned religion where clerics use fear for their own ends. I am also thankful that age has ended.

But today Islamaphobia is another fear-mongering tactic that allows death to be dispensed by hi-tech means, and without trial. Too bad if you happen live next to a target. What difference is there to priests roaming about looking for witches, and drones buzzing over one's head. The enemy must be destroyed - morally and/or ethically right? Justifiable?

If secular humanists are out to destroy the religions they despise most, and support such anti-religious hatred, then are such persons "more enlightened"?
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2014, 11:50 PM   #550
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
True critical thinkers do not say that such things don't exist. They say there is no evidence of such things. (Most will have no problem with your beliefs either...until you state that your beliefs are factual and actually exist)

Once there is evidence the mindset will change. Until then, what is the difference between Scorpion's third eye and the invisible unicorn in my cupboard?
Straw man argument. Unless you really think you have a unicorn in your cupboard?

Intelligent and honest people know that unicorns, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny are all nice stories for little children.

Vivid dreams are a fact. Just because they exist in the mind and cannot be measured does not means they do not exist. NDE's are accepted mental phenomena - the issue is the explanation. There are people who see ghosts, despite the many who falsely make such claims.

To say that every person who says that they have seen a ghost is lying is to stick your head in the sand. Until science knows more about these phenomena and how to measure them, any outright denial has to be taken as a statement of faith that the ultimate reality is that only the material universe exists.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 12:07 AM   #551
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Just for the record:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
... I want to free the minds of Muslims from fear of Allah by preaching spiritualism to them. ...
Earlier in another thread:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There are around five thousand people a year, most of them white women, converting to Islam in this country, and I feel the need to try and disuade them. ...
It happens all the time that people think they know the truth, and want to help others.

Take the seventh episode of Cosmos - A Spacetime Odyssey "The Clean Room" where one man fights the establishment to prove that lead is a toxin being introduced into the environment and is poisoning people.

I would say to Scorpion - why is your "truth" superior to their "truth". Have you considered that God (who appears to want to remain unproven) has given the world all these religions and they may all have a piece of the universal truth.

I met two women who were Christians (and were spiritual) who went to foreign lands to convert the people. One to Israel and one to India. Both heard a clear voice telling them not to be so arrogant as to think they had the only truth.

Scorpion - research the religions and discard the obvious contradictions, then discard any self-serving rituals, and look for the essence and the spirituality. Read the English version of the Koran and see how it is based on the Bible - and how just the actual pronouncements are. Yes, they need to get up to date - as do many religions. And yes, there are many groups who distort the message - just as there are many pseudo-Christians.

A reasonable Christian is tolerant of others - and despite my doubts about the Ultimate Reality, I find that the basics of the teachings of Jesus (who I cannot accept as God) are quite profound, and good for society when not taken to extremes.

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 9th May 2014 at 12:16 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 12:08 AM   #552
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
..
Evidence? Are you not over-looking the bit about personal experience?
...
Not at all. That bit falls under:
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
... not a shred of meaningful evidence.


Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
..
Anecdotes - look at history and see how many anecdotes came first - and then science found an explanation. The Koi bushmen in African had many cures from local plants - the pharmaceutical companies have made a fortune by finding out how they worked. Too bad that practical cures do not constitute a patent.
The effects of a pharmaceutically active substance are measurable ... provide data .... can be shown to exist.
Your personal experiences are not, do not and can not.
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 12:11 AM   #553
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster
 
snoop_doxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In my reality tunnel
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
If secular humanists are out to destroy the religions they despise most, and support such anti-religious hatred, then are such persons "more enlightened"?
PartSkeptic,
Who are these secular humanists who want to "destroy" (in what way? asking questions?) any religion?
These SH's have anti religious hatred and claim to be "more enlightened"?

Please explain who you are talking about in your question above.
You say you are thankful the excesses are over, but in the next paragraph mention being a target and dying by high tech means without trial.

I do not think you will convert anyone here.
snoop_doxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 01:07 AM   #554
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,820
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Anecdotes - look at history and see how many anecdotes came first - and then science found an explanation.
You mean like the anecdotal evidence that convinced early doctors that bleeding and purging their patients was an effective treatment?

Or the anecdotal evidence that convinced our ancestors that doing a rain dance made it rain?

Or the anecdotal evidence that is still convincing people today that astrology and homeopathy work, even though we can demonstrate that they don't?

Given the percentage of cases in which the scientific explanation for the anecdotes turned out to be cognitive biases and/or faulty perceptions and memories, the need to verify anecdotal evidence before accepting it should be clear to any rational person.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
To say that every person who says that they have seen a ghost is lying is to stick your head in the sand.
Who says that?

Sceptics say that lying and (far more likely) being honestly mistaken are more plausible explanations of such anecdotes than that ghosts are real, and in the absence of objective evidence the null hypothesis that ghosts are not real stands.

Insisting that anecdotal evidence alone is a reliable guide to reality despite the numerous examples that show otherwise is to stick your head in the sand.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 9th May 2014 at 01:09 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 01:44 AM   #555
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It happens all the time that people think they know the truth, and want to help others.
It just happened to you.


Quote:
I would say to Scorpion - why is your "truth" superior to their "truth".
An excellent question, as long as you're measuring fantasy against fantasy.


Quote:
Have you considered that God (who appears to want to remain unproven)
God actually is unproven. No appearance necessary.

Quote:
.. has given the world all these religions and they may all have a piece of the universal truth.
None of the religions have any science in them making them all universal bunk.

Quote:
I met two women who .. Both heard a clear voice telling them not to be so arrogant as to think they had the only truth.
Methinks they spoke with your voice.


Quote:
Scorpion - research the religions and discard the obvious contradictions, then discard any self-serving rituals, and look for the essence and the spirituality. Read the English version of the Koran and see how it is based on the Bible - and how just the actual pronouncements are.
I wonder if Scorpion will feel like accommodating? Maybe he will.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 03:20 AM   #556
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lenoir City, TN/Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,605
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
To say that every person who says that they have seen a ghost is lying...

Straw man argument
I took the liberty of reordering part of your post.

In this new arrangement, I agree!

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 9th May 2014 at 03:42 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 03:42 AM   #557
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lenoir City, TN/Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,605
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

Anecdotes - look at history and see how many anecdotes came first - and then science found an explanation.
A good point.

Anecdote and personal experience can be the starting point for scientific exploration.

Starting point.

People found, anecdotally, that chewing on a willow bark seemed to ease pain. The scientific method first confirmed through double-blinded placebo-controlled tests, that it did seem to be effective. It then ferreted out the active ingredient, acetylsalicylic acid, and confirmed it's effectiveness and optimal doses.

Other people found, anecdotally, that like cures like and that diluting an ingredient 30c resulted in a substance with curative power. The scientific method confirmed, through physics and Avogrado's Number that the prior plausibility of such claims was nil, and then confirmed through double-blinded placebo-controlled tests, that it was not, in fact, effective.

And, don't forget, people in Salem found, anecdotally, that there were witches in their midst. And burned them.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 9th May 2014 at 03:44 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 04:04 AM   #558
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect
 
PixyMisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sunny Munuvia
Posts: 16,346
Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
True critical thinkers do not say that such things don't exist.
It's perfectly reasonable to say that souls don't exist. It's not just that there's no evidence for their existence (though this is of course true), or that there is no known mechanism whereby the soul can interact with the brain (though this is also true).

For a soul to exist, either it needs the be made of normal matter - which it can't be, because with modern technology we'd spot it immediately - or it needs to be made of exotic matter which is less readily detectable. If it's made of exotic matter, it still needs to interact with normal matter, and there, either we'd detect the interaction, or it's something exotic again.

And here's the problem: For this interaction to connect our mundane normal-matter bodies with our souls, it would have to be based on physics of an energy level easily reached by particle accelerators. Which means that whatever souls are, we'd have seen these interactions in experiments at CERN and Fermilab. And we haven't.

We know enough about the Universe at this point that claims of souls or ghosts are equivalent to claims of thirty-foot fire-breathing man-eating and entirely visible dragons in your garage. There is no longer any escape clause. We've opened the garage, and it contains zero dragons.

And the physics that tells us that souls and ghosts are fiction is exactly the same physics that gives us advanced microprocessors, fibre-optic networks, and GPS. If you own an iPhone, you literally have no soul.
__________________
Free blogs for skeptics... And everyone else. mee.nu
What, in the Holy Name of Gzortch, are you people doing?!?!!? - TGHO
PixyMisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 04:10 AM   #559
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lenoir City, TN/Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,605
PartSkeptic...

About your "handle"...

If you're part "Skeptic", how do you define the other part?

I would hold that the antonym is roughly "credulous". Agree?

And if you're not in stasis, do you see yourself over time becoming more or less skeptical?

Not making fun - genuinely curious.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2014, 06:50 AM   #560
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,391
Partskeptic. I have read the quran, in fact I have three english translations in book form and access to many other translations online. Not that this does me much good because muslims argue that I cannot know the quran unless I read it in Arabic. But I do not want to take this thread any further off the topic of spiritualism, as I have already been warned against doing that.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.